PDA

View Full Version : live histogram?

Michael Rose
12-25-2009, 06:14 PM
hi there. im considering the 7D, but i can't find any info on this feature on the web so thought some of you guys might know this: does the 7D have a live histogram or any other way of letting you know if the image is over lid when recording video? you know, like zebra stripes on a normal dv cam or something like that.

it seems a bit of a hassle to take a picture, check the histogram, adjust the camera, take a new picture and so on and so on, especially if im doing a whole dolly ride with changing lights along the way.

so, does it have such a function? and if not, what would otherwise be the best way to avoid over lighting/burnout on a 7D?
(except for the auto settings ofcourse)

RyanT
12-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I want to know this too. I do have to say though after shooting a short with it I really like taking pictures. It gives you all of these great very high resolution production stills that you can use after the production is over. I guess it does take a bit more time, but they're very nice to have.

aalleexx
12-25-2009, 06:50 PM
sorry guys, the live histogram is only available in stills mode not movie mode

bwwd
12-25-2009, 07:41 PM
But after you record a mov then during preview you can see white blown out parts blinking black/white ,or am i wrong ? You cant check it during recording but you can do it after ? Or its only on one frame? I dont know i dont oown 7d but ive seen blinking on blownout parts when video wasnt playing and one frame was on screen.

mhood
12-26-2009, 06:26 AM
It's only on a paused frame IIRC but useful IMO anyway. I also like taking a still of each scene with the black/grey/white target once I have the histogram and WB right. It's gr8 to have the still for reference later.

Michael Rose
12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
well ok. i guess it's just a matter of getting used to the different workflow compared to a normal videocam then.

mhood
12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
It helped me to stop thinking like a videographer and start thinking like a photographer. ;-)

Michael Rose
12-26-2009, 06:50 PM
i am already a photographer and i would rather have the options a videographer have when making video, instead of being limited to just the options of a photographer.

what i mean is that i think i might miss such a helpfull tool on the camera as a live histogram would be, on the dv cams i've worked with before i used it all the time.

but at least it's a step up from the 500D i have now, not being able to manually adjust the shutter/aparture and so on and having to watch the camera do it all wrong and not being able to do anything about it is pretty cruel:/

but how about external monitors by the way?

are there any cheap ones with a hdmi connection and a histogram feature around, or do they all cost a fortune? i think i already know the answer to this one, but you never know:)

Sttratos
12-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Why not switch to stills mode in live-view while you are lighting, so you have the live histogram, then once you have finished lighting you switch back to video mode and shoot your shot?

Michael Rose
12-26-2009, 07:30 PM
yes i'll probably do something like that, but i still haven't got the 7D yet so it doesn't really matter right now anyway. right now im just trying to find out about the features of this camera, but i will no doubt buy it no matter what, cause it is 1: a lot cheaper than going for a big "real" camcorder, and 2: a lot better to work with than my current 500D. (rebel T1i)
so i guess i just have to use it the way canon's intended and get the best of it, live histogram or not. should be fine.