PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini

noelsphoto
12-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Planning on getting the new mac mini 2.53GHz intel core 2 duo processor, 4gb ram, less than 7200 hard drive speed, with integrated video. Can this be used with the new FINAL CUT STUDIO?
Thanks!

Martti Ekstrand
12-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Final Cut Pro itself can be tricked to install on a Mac mini AFAIK but it's not really worth it. Many of the other parts in the Studio package straight out will not work. Mac minis are nice email / web / word / simple image edit / server machines but I wouldn't attempt to use it for any kind of ambitious video editing or post processing.

Jockomo
12-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm planning on getting a remote controlled toy truck... to haul 100 tons of dirt. Will it work?

Shawn Storm
12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't fully understand why the Mac Mini wouldn't work.

I just looked over the tech specs for the Mac Mini he is talking about and compared it to the system requirements for Final Cut Studio. It is my impression that almost everything should work (including the other programs such as Motion, Color, Sountrack Pro, etc). Am I missing something? If you do a web search there are lots of results that indicate that FCS will run on a new Mac Mini.

I am not saying that a Mac Mini would be an ideal workstation, but it seems like it should still work. Obviously a Mac Pro would be more ideal but they are a bit spendy for the average person (especially someone who isn't doing video professionally).

On the same note, I was thinking of buying a new Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz and was planning on running Final Cut Studio on it. The Macbook Pro seems to have very similar specs to the Mac Mini in question. Is there some difference that I'm not seeing? I have friends who run FCS on a Macbook Pro just fine. I don't expect it to be lightning fast, but with a little patience I think it will work out.

Here are the mentioned links:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

noelsphoto
12-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the generous replies.
Just wanted to hear from somebody who's actually using the macmini from this forum. According to the stats it should be fine. And giving feedback on good/bad experiences would help even more.
Planning on getting into final cut studio.
Thanks again.

Jockomo
12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm going to say that cooling your processors, ram and on board video card will be your major issues. There is a reason they put those big fans in a mac pro. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

The FCP specs say: ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported)
Oh, I see the mini's have nvidia gpus now...

saaby
12-23-2009, 09:02 AM
You should be fine. Contrary to popular belief, the Mac Mini is actually a pretty powerful system. The MacMini's specs are usually close to the same, or slightly better than, those of a year-old MacBook. That's the case here, with the Mac Mini's specs being slightly better in most areas than my 1 year old MacBook Pro.

The only really graphics card intensive program in the suite is Motion. So long as you're not doing crazy sequences in Motion, you should be fine.

The other really weak point is the slow hard drive. Put your footage on an external, FireWire 800 drive to work around that.

There are better setups available, but I don't think this setup will be painful to use or anything like that.

dvbrother
12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I work for an NBC affiliate where the entire News department uses Final Cut Studio on Mac Minis. The bean counters at the corporate office forced us to do it. I was a voice of dissent, stating that the Mac Minis were too puny to handle the task. I hate to admit it, but so far they have worked flawlessly. Granted, TV News editing is bare bones and doesn't perform much color correction, but the fact that our station and eleven others owned by the same corporation are using them shows they can be used in a professional environment.

AdrianF
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
As the others have said already, you should be fine using it for basic editing and maybe some encoding. If you want to use Motion and do a lot of VFX then you will probably be asking for trouble. I have a G4 mac mini that I use for logging and run Voltaic on it for converting GH1 files. It works fine in the background, if a little slowly. But it is only a spare little workhorse, not a main editing system.

I think the bottom line is if you want to run Final Cut itself then fine, if want to run the whole suite of apps in all their glory, then you might be disappointed.

monkeyking
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
What dvbrother and saaby said.
I bought a early 2009 mini 2ghz and maxed out the memory to 4gb and replaced the puny hd w/Seagate 500gb hd and FW800 external miniStack hd hub. Much cheaper as a DIY rather than pay Apple for it.
Remember it has Intel Core 2 Duo so FCP is no problem.

noelsphoto
12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Most i plan on doing is 24p pulldown in compressor. Adding transitions. Then some texting. And lots of hard drives. Most i do is archiving.
At worst i hope to get away using 3different angle camcorders in the same timeline.
I think i'll give it a try.
My feeling is to get the 21.5 imac with dedicated video card. But i feel the quadcore is around the corner. The 27inch is too big.

onion
12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I use a mac mini and recently got a GH1. I have played around with 1080p footage in FCS (FCP7) and it works well. Mine is a 2.0GHz mini (early 2009) with FCS installed on the system drive and the scratch disk on an external FW800 drive. I swapped out the default (5400rpm) system drive for a 7200rpm drive which definitely improves performance.

I'm sure quad cores and mac pros will perform better, particularly for any rendering. I really don't believe the dual core iMac will offer much performance advantage over the mini you intended to buy. Except if you use Motion possibly, the dedicated graphics card of the iMac wont offer much advantage for video editing.

If you can afford it, get the mini with a SSD to replace the system drive, and it should perform pretty well.

noelsphoto
12-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm sure quad cores and mac pros will perform better, particularly for any rendering. I really don't believe the dual core iMac will offer much performance advantage over the mini you intended to buy. Except if you use Motion possibly, the dedicated graphics card of the iMac wont offer much advantage for video editing.

I'm guessing the same thing. But now I'm sure.
Thank you and everyone for helping make my decision.
Mac Mini it is.