PDA

View Full Version : PC Windows Workflow? Help

Blackout
12-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Well my GH1 finally arrived!

Previously I have been testing with a friends on his mac, but I have a high end windows quad core i7 box and I am having a nightmare figuring out proper workflow. I can't import with the included photofun software, it crashes when it tries to aquire from the camera. I pulled in the native files from the private stream directory, but even vlc is not playing them right.. it's a flickering stroby mess...

I have Premiere pro cs4 & sony vegas... and I can't get either of them to render out the 1080 24p properly.

Been looking around here and can't find a proper PC workflow thread, so if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it cause my head is hurting at this point.

Some questions:

Do I HAVE to purchase voltiacHD or something similar to get the footage off the camera and edit and create a blu-ray and a standard dvd version?

Premiere will see the footage using avchd 1080i widescreen 29.97 fps, but when I render it out to a regular mpeg2 dvd codec or blu-ray codec I am seeing ucky problems. Tried 10 different tests to see if premiere could remove pulldown or just render out the 1080 60i as is but I'm having no luck.

I don't seem to be having this issue on some canon 7d files.. they play natively.... scratching my head with the gh1 at this point.

Thanks for any starting pointers.

- Michael

bbinnard
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't understand why you have a problem. My system is Vista-64 running on an i7/6GB RAM with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I simply copy the .mts files from my GH1 SD card onto my C: drive, import them into the Vegas Media folder, and drag/drop them on the timeline. Nary a glitch in any of this, and it's very fast.

If you are having a problem doing this there must be some step you are missing or some detail you haven't mentioned. There are a few things to note:

1. i7's have 8 CPU's, not 4. Vegas defaults to 4 max for rendering, so to use 8 you need a tweak

2. Vegas has a glitch rendering HD quality on 64-bit OS's. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows you need a tweak.

4. Vegas MS uses DVD Architect 4.5 to create DVDs. This version will NOT create Blu-Ray disks (BDs.) To create BDs you need Vegas Pro, which uses DVD Architect 5.

DWzM
12-16-2009, 05:17 PM
What do you mean by "need a tweak"? Has Sony posted updates to solve these issues?

thisisapocalypse
12-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Which version of Vegas are you using? In Vegas Pro 9 you can just import the mts files, but if you're working with 1080 files it won't remove pulldown. Premiere won't do pulldown on GH1 footage either.

I've heard mixed things about Voltaic, I tried it out and did not like the compression.

Neoscene seems to be the way to go if you're using GH1 1080 footage on a PC (that's what I'm doing - the new i7 box is on the way! can't wait as I've been editing on a Pentium D!)

Neoscene is fast, simple, nearly lossless and easy to work with, it will make your life much easier. It just works. The cineform avis will work perfectly in either Vegas or Premiere.

There aren't many solutions on the PC side for GH1 pulldown removal - life is easier on the Mac in this respect. They have more options. Go for Neoscene, it's definitely worth the $100. If you have not already, you can download a trial version that works for 7 days I believe, this way you can give it a test run.

thisisapocalypse
12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
1. i7's have 8 CPU's, not 4.

i7s have 4 cores + hyper-threading, allowing it to handle a maximum of 8 simultaneous threads, but they still only have 4 real cores.

PerroneFord
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
There aren't many solutions on the PC side for GH1 pulldown removal - life is easier on the Mac in this respect. They have more options. Go for Neoscene, it's definitely worth the $100.

Or do it for free with VirtualDub like I do... Somewhat less convenient though.

Blackout
12-16-2009, 11:39 PM
I think I have an older version of vegas. Will try Neoscene and see how the trial is. I also think some of the video codecs on my vista ultimate might be screwed up. Time to install win 7. Don't know if that will fix anything.

Park Edwards
12-17-2009, 12:24 AM
i'm running a puny 3.5ghz core duo compared to you gusy and don't have any issues. however, win7 plays raw gh1 files like a dream. upgrade if you can. also, don't expect to edit the 1080p footage in premiere. you can't remove pulldown. use neo scene.

Chris Light
12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Blackout....are you importing your files to a drive separate from the drive Vegas is running on?

Chris Light
12-17-2009, 12:36 AM
i'm running a puny 3.5ghz core duo compared to you gusy and don't have any issues. however, win7 plays raw gh1 files like a dream. upgrade if you can. also, don't expect to edit the 1080p footage in premiere. you can't remove pulldown. use neo scene.

oh, and my comp is even punier...if that's a word.

2.4 ghz Core2Duo Win Vista Home Premium/NVidia 8400GS video card with an "upgraded" MSI motherboard...not sure why i bought it. anyway, it's an HP i bought at Best Buy in 2006 for $599 on sale....yeah, in short, it sucks. or does it?

I also have the cheapo Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum ProPack ....BUT...i have never experienced problems editing from the GH1 for the month that i've had it. Had the Canon XH-A1 before the GH1...no problems.

External Harddrives help a great deal for computers as slow (on paper) as mine.

Blackout
12-17-2009, 01:20 AM
I have vegas 8. That must be the issue. Tried Neoscene trial and it looks pretty good... so one is forced to spend another $130 to do anything with the footage I guess? How do they expect this camera to be aimed at normal consumers I have no idea. I consider myself pretty computer agile and this gave me a headache. Thanks for the help though!

thisisapocalypse
12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
I have vegas 8. That must be the issue. Tried Neoscene trial and it looks pretty good... so one is forced to spend another $130 to do anything with the footage I guess? How do they expect this camera to be aimed at normal consumers I have no idea. I consider myself pretty computer agile and this gave me a headache. Thanks for the help though!

I just find the fact that Panasonic doesn't offer a simple tool to do this on either a PC or Mac is strange.

This is really a problem much more on the PC side than the Mac side, and there's a good chance that most people using GH1s for serious work are also working on Macs. It's the PC side that's really left to fend for themselves...I don't know what we'd do if it weren't for Neoscene.

To be fair though, these problems don't apply to all GH1 footage - the 720 stuff (maybe they figure most people will be using that) doesn't need pulldown removal.

Park Edwards
12-17-2009, 09:47 AM
video guys has neo scene for $99
welcome to everyone's biggest complaint.

noirist
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
What version of Windows are you running?

If you are using Windows 7, you don't need any special software to import AVCHD movies from the GH1 Sd card; windows 7 will automatically offer to import the .mts files as soon as you connect the sd card to your computer. You can choose the directory it will import into. It will only import the .mts files, which is not a problem for most software. You can also play the .mts files using Windows Media Player, which I have found is way way better than anything else I tried including VLC.

Alternately, you can import the videos using PhotoFunStudio HD (the panasonic software) using "acquire". This software will import the .mts files and three other related files that it needs to play back or edit the movies.

Blackout
12-20-2009, 12:24 AM
What version of Windows are you running?

If you are using Windows 7, you don't need any special software to import AVCHD movies from the GH1 Sd card; windows 7 will automatically offer to import the .mts files as soon as you connect the sd card to your computer. You can choose the directory it will import into. It will only import the .mts files, which is not a problem for most software. You can also play the .mts files using Windows Media Player, which I have found is way way better than anything else I tried including VLC.

Alternately, you can import the videos using PhotoFunStudio HD (the panasonic software) using "acquire". This software will import the .mts files and three other related files that it needs to play back or edit the movies.

I will be doing a clean install of win 7 in a a few weeks. Waiting for some new big hard drives to come from newegg.

But still, how do you edit the native mts files? I CAN get those into premiere but the pulldwon is still there and they don't render out correctly to dvd or to bluray burning applications. They look funky.

Park Edwards
12-20-2009, 12:36 AM
I will be doing a clean install of win 7 in a a few weeks. Waiting for some new big hard drives to come from newegg.

But still, how do you edit the native mts files? I CAN get those into premiere but the pulldwon is still there and they don't render out correctly to dvd or to bluray burning applications. They look funky.

i'll just say it again. you can't edit 1080p in premiere and expect it to remove pulldown because it doesn't. you need to convert using neo scene or voltaic hd or cut 720p 60p files by dropping them on a 24p timeline.

adys
12-20-2009, 07:07 AM
video guys has neo scene for $99
welcome to everyone's biggest complaint.

They do not support AVID.

What is the problem with the pull down if vegas can read and edit the mts files?

noirist
12-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm going to try Edius Neo Booster.

Blackout
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Ok... so here is another question... once I transorm all my footage and remove pulldown with neoscene, what settings do I use to edit within premiere CS4?

I only see avchd 1080p 23.97 I don't see any regular .avi settings for the newly conformed files.

William_Robinette
12-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't use CS4 that much, but when I do and use cineform files I just make a custom project at 24p that is 1920x1080p. Everything works just fine.

Blackout
12-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Hmmm... I don't see a way of selecting custom. When I start up Prem pro cs4 it gives me a window with a bunch of codecs options to select... I don't see a custom button. I have version 4.2.

Park Edwards
12-20-2009, 10:08 AM
http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=1230

Blackout
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Ahhh. There we go, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Car3o and all for the help.
I'm really liking the quality that's happening with the neoscene. Think I'm going to purchase it when the trial is done as voltaire doesn't seem to work as well.

Park Edwards
12-20-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll go half with you in purchasing it.

danielfrisbee
03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi there (should say 1st of all that I have a PAL gh1...)(and that I am shooting in 1280 x 720)

I bought my Gh1 a few months ago for shooting my graduation film, which is mostly an animation, ie cgi composited into hand made sets with greenscreened backgrounds to more cgi with flimed skies at the back. My film work-flow is kind of coming together but I just can't figure out how to get good results out of the camera.
In after effects the files come up as 50 frames a second, but if I set to 25 they become slightly different lengths than their cgi composited counterparts... I tried voltaicHD but it seemed pretty dodgy, mis-reads the mts. dimensions and fires out corrupt files, a pirated neoscene seems to have far less features than you all talk about but does spit out a usable AVI, but still look a bit lame.

I've yet to try tmpgenc or whatecer it's called... Surely there is a way to get nice 25fps progressive frames..

I am on windows 7..

Any help or advice very welcome as I am sinking slightly with all this stuff.

A couple of other questions if I'm not being too greedy...

where do you change the contrast/saturation etc settings in the camera?

and what would be the best sort of lens to use to film small sets (shoe box kind of size) indoors under lights? I have access to some bolex macro lenses but have not ordered an adaptor yet.. but struggling with the kit zoom lens, seems a bit too much for the job.

Sorry for going on and on,
many thanks,

Daniel