PDA

View Full Version : Video/Audio recording equipment help needed

danz24
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
FIRST POST!!!
Hi guys!

Well, I hope this forum is helpful because I have a request.

My small non-profit charitable organization is planning to start recording (audio/video) events and i'm responsible for purchasing the equipment and am asking your help, since I know very little about "professional" level equipment.
Our budget is about $6k which i'm guessing would include a video camera, audio/video mixer, microphone. Here is my shopping list in an easier to read format.

Video Camera - Panasonic AG DVX-100.
Mixer - Datavideo SE 800
Microphone - ?
What else Do I need?

Any help, guidance, price lsits etc. would be very helpful.

thanks again

philiplipetz
12-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Why do you not want one of newer generation HD cams? Seems like you can do that on your budget. Barry Green has nice instructional videos for the HMC150 as well as the DVX.

What are your needs? What is your delivery medium, DVD, Web, HD, film, downloads?

Also do you have editing equipment, software and computer. What software? Sometimes going beyond basic editing software is the difference in a project. For example, consider Magic Bulet Look from RedGiant Software.

danz24
12-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am looking to record video/audio of events we have (like seminars, lectures, guest speakers etc...). I cannot skimp out on the audio since we are recording a message from the speakers, and a clear video helps maintain a level of professionalism. Deliverables will be on DVD and our website.

Im thinking to keep the audio separate from the video. The video cam will be strictly for video and the microphone recording will be strictly for audio. It will be synchronized via mixer, software??..I don't know what to use for that actually.

I'm actually not familiar with the software mentioned above. Which is cheaper and easiest to use? One recommendation to me was to use Adobe Voice Editing Program (don't know if this was a general statement or the name of an actual program).

philiplipetz
12-15-2009, 10:50 AM
For audio from up up to xlr mics consider the zoom h4n. That is good low end. Spend more on good mics. You will not regret it. Good wireless lava cost upwards from $500 each. Search the audio threads here.

With your budget there are many fine dedicated ENG video cams. There is also one dSLR cam, Panasonic GH1, that can do long length recordings.

One factor to consider is the cams recording media. Some cams use inexpensive cards and some use expensive cards. Also some cams record in formats thAt must be converted before editing.

DrDave
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Why do you need a mixer? A Zoom H2 or the H4N is always a good and inexpensive choice.
I think you will need more things on your list, some sort of light.