PDA

View Full Version : SlowMo question

J. Odoms
12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
So I had a pretty awesome shoot this weekend, and will be quite upset
I if I screwed it all up. So this brings me to my reasoning for posting.

I shot some scenes in 60p an obviously at 720p, but didn't realize the sutter speed was at 1/60th.

Now I haven't watched my rushes so I'm not sure what I got, but I became concerned that I read an article stating that, apparently the best method was 1/120th shutter speed.

So my question is, when I conform the footage to 24p from 60p will I just not get any slowmotion, or will the footage be unusable. Or what other results should I expect.

Thanks guys, I'm out right now, otherwise id just do it, and not ask, but can't and REALLY wanna know the answer to this question, ASAP.

dvollrath
12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
You'll get slow motion, but the images will be a little smeary. It'll be like shooting 24 fps at a 1/24th shutter speed. The newer Miami Vice movie has this look throughout a lot of it.

12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
I didn't feel it was worth creating a new thread for a similar slow motion question I had...

I have also heard that 1/120 was the best shutter for 60p to 24p slow motion. Is this the best shutter speed if it is a high action subject such as running? I have been told by some it is best to get it to around 1/500. Which would suit me better if I am shooting in daylight?

I plan to conform the 60p to 24p and then further slow another 30%, maybe 50%...

Any help would be awesome! thanks

Eric

Michael Olsen
12-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I didn't feel it was worth creating a new thread for a similar slow motion question I had...

I have also heard that 1/120 was the best shutter for 60p to 24p slow motion. Is this the best shutter speed if it is a high action subject such as running? I have been told by some it is best to get it to around 1/500. Which would suit me better if I am shooting in daylight?

I plan to conform the 60p to 24p and then further slow another 30%, maybe 50%...

Any help would be awesome! thanks

Eric

IMHO, this is where camera tests become an important part of the pre-production.

Your shutter speed will be relative to the speed of the subject in the frame. A person running at 10mph won't require anything above the traditional 180 (48 for 24fps, 60 for 30fps, 120 for 60fps) if its shot at a very wide angle or at a considerable distance where the subject isn't moving through the frame very quickly. If the subject is filling the frame, however, and the motion is very apparent, then upping the shutter speed may be desirable. How much to increase it, however, will be a matter of combining practical elements, namely the need to actually see what's going on, with creative elements, such as how much the footage is slowed and how blurred or jittery the motion needs to be.

I don't think anyone here can tell you what's right for your shot. My suggestion is to simply run some tests with stand-ins. It will take a little while, but you will figure out the answer to your question, and probably learn something else in the process. And then when it comes time to actually shoot, you will have practically already shot it!