PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Great Free Transcode Software (today only)

nathankw
12-13-2009, 08:42 AM
The giveawayoftheday site is giving away Icepine Video Converter.
These video converters tend to be two-a-penny so I almost ignored it, but I noticed it claimed to do AVCHD which not many of them do.

So I've given it a go and it seems to be great. Not only can it convert to a huge range of output codecs, it has a direct stream copy mode. This seems to take the AVCHD and repackage it as a MOV or AVI without reencoding. This is something I've been looking for for ages.

It also allows you to do a direct copy but conform to a different framerate - great for converting those slowmo's with no loss in quality.

Now I've literally just downloaded it and haven't done a thorough test - only tried a couple of files. I've only tried it on 720p files (which is what I tend to shoot in.

But I wanted to post here since it's only free today (13th Dec). After that it's $23 (could still be a bargain if its as good as it seems to be.) Windows only I'm afraid.

Download it here:
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

I'd be interested in other people's impression.

BhambuNath
12-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for posting the info.

I'm downloading it now.

BhambuNath
12-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Can't activate it on my editing machine as it requires internet connection on the machine and I guess there is no off line installation process for it...

Ozpeter
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
"Great" is too strong a word I think, but thanks for the heads-up - perhaps one for people who collect this kind of thing just in case it's one day useful.

thisisapocalypse
12-13-2009, 10:55 PM
This is interesting - I haven't tried the direct stream yet, but this seems handy at least for creating quick small preview files and allows for re-sizing & stretching easily. It does have a deinterlace option as well.

I won't be dumping Neoscene for serious conversion (unless this direct stream transoding is truly lossless) but this is proving handy for allowing me to quickly preview the shots I've done with anamorphics by rendering them out to mpeg4/divx unsqueezed so that I can quickly watch them in the correct aspect ratio without loading them into an editor. Not too bad for looking at anamorphic dailies since it has batch conversion.

And heck, it's free today and only $29 otherwise. Seems worthwhile for the price.