PDA

View Full Version : New Cameras Coming When?

Phil vG
12-12-2009, 04:56 PM
With Motherboards hitting the market with USB 3.0, which is up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0 (it can move 1GB or data in around 4 seconds), and external HDD and SSD coming close behind. So Notebooks (Laptops) and Netbooks should be on their heels!
How long do you think it will be before we start seeing Cameras with a USB 3.0 connection option?

Cassius
12-12-2009, 11:34 PM
It's the same answer as every other similar question. If you don't have anything to shoot, don't buy a camera. If transfer speeds are more important to you than filming something, wait. Just be aware that something new will come out after that, and after that, and after that, so you'll be waiting for a while. If you have something to shoot, get something to shoot it with.

Phil vG
12-13-2009, 08:24 AM
I wasnít talking about a camera for me, I was making a generalization!
(Iíve now edited out the bottom line of my post)

Maybe itís yet another thing holding back cameras like Red Scarlet. They have decided they now want it to have USB 3.0!

Let me rephras:
How long after the release of USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394 onto computers, did it take for them to show up on cameras?

Cassius
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
That's a better question.

USB 2.0 became standard almost right away, and USB 3.0 won't be much different. But computers will ship with mostly 2.0 or only 2.0 for a long time. I expect laptops with USB 3.0 as fast as the standards can get emailed to the manufacturing department, even if they aren't the most common ones, and cameras of the same nature within the next year or two. Some companies already have devices certified and hope to put them out at the beginning of next year.

SSD's are the really interesting technology, though. Hard drives have been a huge bottleneck for a long time. Once this things get popular and come down in price we'll have a breakthrough jump in computing power.

A lot of things are holding back Scarlet. You know those people who always wait for the next best technology, like I thought you were originally (sorry about that)? That's what Red is now. They wait too long, then they have to revamp for the next-next breakthrough.