PDA

View Full Version : Neoscene Conversion Bug

philiplipetz
12-11-2009, 01:00 PM
OK after much thrashing about I have found that the latest build of NeoScene (27) in ProRes formats creates artifacts by doubling part of a frame in some pans. This is not mud. I do not get it with Voltaic, although the conversion in Voltaic is not as good.

Like mud it occurs only with fast movement, but it clearly is not coming from the cam.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/48384/1260549554.jpg

philiplipetz
12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Been talking to Cineform and they have reproduced this bug. It only occurs over part of the frame.

tflak
12-12-2009, 02:59 AM
It only occurs over part of the frame.

Whew! I was concerned it would ruin the whole frame. :)

philiplipetz
12-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Whew! I was concerned it would ruin the whole frame. :)

Yeah, I know it seems like a crazy thing to say but I got a message from a forum reader suggesting that I did not remove the pulldown so frames superimposed. Not what is happening.

The bug can be very visible like my example or it can be small, but it happpens way too frequently. My work flow has stopped. Wish Voltaic did was as good in handling color space, then This would not be so bad.

Previous thread committed on interlacing artifacts in first few frames of Neoscene conversions in earlier builds of the program, so this bug might possibilbly reflect some issue in their conversion methodology. Not clear. Since it happens with movement is it amplying something in the codec? Anybody know?

Cranky
12-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Maybe they are working on motion-adaptive deinterlacing, which weaves some parts of a frame and bobs another? In this case their algorithm is not robust enough yet :)

onesock
12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I've encountered this too. Are you guys going with Voltaic? For now I'm shooting in 720p so as to not have to deal with pulldown. It seems like there is no "ideal" solution.

Park Edwards
12-17-2009, 12:27 AM
you guys on mac? i've never had a problem with neo scene with a win 7 workflow.

philiplipetz
12-17-2009, 08:13 AM
On mac. Talking with their mac guy. Found in all conversion formats. Also problem gettng conversion into proper format. Stopped my workflow. No problems before they dowgraded ProRes to LT and SQ only.

philiplipetz
12-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Cineform just emailed me that they found the image doubling or tearing problem and will shortly be issuing a new build of Neoscene for Mac. Still looking at other issues.

fabi8bit
01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
i'm a mac guy but i have to say that the win version works better.i discovered the same problem. jagged frame and crashes. wait for an update! everybody should write an email to them to push for an update.