PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Overheating

ROCKMORE
12-10-2009, 03:53 AM
I read this on another forum and wondered if anyone else is having this experience with their 7D or 5D?

Quote:
<At first, I had no problems with this, but today it's finally happened for the first time. I was in a room around 75 degrees F, and it overheated in less than ONE MINUTE. No exaggeration. It keeps happening too. Never Ever had this before and I've had it ever since Mid-October.... I wonder if I'm going to have to send it to Canon or something. I basically got it for video to.>

mhood
12-10-2009, 05:03 AM
I encountered much more of the overheating than I expected but didn't notice any degredation in the footage shot while the warning was flashing. Every camera has a got'cha and this seems to be the 7D's. I hate it and wonder if newer versions suffer much less overheating as several folks have suggested. I'd really like to decide whether or not to keep the 7D I have before I glue an LCDVF mount on it.

Perry Wilson
12-10-2009, 06:24 AM
My 7D has never over heated in such easy going situations... it did however, start blinking while it was on standbye for the next shot I was gonna shoot... but it was on a crane, on black new asphalt on one of the hottest days of the year in florida humidity. It has to do with the extreme weather proofing it is amazing, literally the first cam I have owned and wasn't afraid to go shoot uncovered in the rain. This thing was taken to the arctic circle and buried in the snow for days on end... http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/12/7d-antarctica/

Scott Lovejoy
12-17-2009, 06:19 AM
My 7d overheated yesterday while doing some interviews. The camera had probably been going off and on for 2 hours and the room was probably 75ish degrees. If I turned the camera off, I would get some time without the blinking, but the camera started doing other funky things as well (would blink "err", which could be fixed my removing the battery). The overheating worries me a bit, but the room was to the point of being uncomfortable, so I'm not sure what will happen in other situations.

Joe Lawry
12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
i've only had my 7d over heat once.. and that was when it was hanging from a lighting grid in a studio right next a about 1200w's of lights..

apart from that all good.

ROCKMORE
12-19-2009, 05:53 AM
i've only had my 7d over heat once.. and that was when it was hanging from a lighting grid in a studio right next a about 1200w's of lights..

apart from that all good.

Sounds good Joe. I'm mostly planning to use the 7D for short clips. I was a bit worried before buying a 7d from some of the reports, but I think the problem comes simple things like leaving it on all day in a hot environment or near hot lights.
I also think if you power down between takes it will cool off.
The nice thing about the prism and mirror is you get to work with the camera through the lens when the camera is off. Those are two big advantages.

ramdop
12-19-2009, 11:46 AM
i was reading about this aday before i went to shoot along day of 10 interviews each one 30min
and i got scaerd so i broght with me dvx100 for safty
i am happy to inform you that the cam work great with no overheating at all
we were shoting indoor and the camera worked for 6h non stop

ROCKMORE
12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
i was reading about this aday before i went to shoot along day of 10 interviews each one 30min
and i got scaerd so i broght with me dvx100 for safty
i am happy to inform you that the cam work great with no overheating at all
we were shoting indoor and the camera worked for 6h non stop

Ram, that sounds like good news. Did you ever turn off the camera during the day or was it on nonstop? What mode were you shooting in 1080p, 720p, and what frame rate, 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 50fps or 60fps?
Also some people said the 7D they had that was overheating was one of the first units out. when did you get your 7D?

Osslund
12-21-2009, 01:47 AM
My 7D didn't overheat during a whole day shoot in 1080p but it does get hotter when using the 720p mode. It was in room temperature and the camera was put in standby during short breaks and I would recommend doing this whenever you have the chance to avoid overheating issues.

alpi69
12-27-2009, 08:54 AM
We just had a concertshoot with two 7Ds and they both went into overheating-mode rather soon. It was an indoor venue and rather warm, but not hot. still, rolling for 30 minutes and they were both in trouble. i took out the lens and battery for a minute and then got to shoot a few minutes again, before the warning light came on again. so indoors and in heat it is an issue.

at the same time i have shot several pieces outside and inside where the cam wasn´t rolling for such long periods and had no issues at all. so what´s a problem is the constant shooting-mode.

Barry_Green
12-28-2009, 01:20 AM
But what mode were you using? I think 50p/60p (in either standard-def or 720) is more prone to overheat than 1080/24 or 25. Were you using 720 or standard-def mode?

ramdop
12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
the camera was working non stop i turn it off a few times to change card/battery
i was shooting 1080 25p

i bought my just one month ago

Ronster
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
My friend and I shot a feature in the freezing cold in NY a couple weeks ago and the warning came on twice. once in the subway and once in an office. Both times the environment wasn't hot. We were using the camera a lot but nothing insane. Is there any issue with the footage when the heat warning comes on? I believe it will just go till it gets too hot than the camera on its own will shut down....if I remember reading correctly. We were shooting 1080 24p the whole time.

Barry_Green
12-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes, there can be an issue with the footage; the manual warns that as the camera gets hotter, the picture quality degrades.

chrismagicc
12-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes, there can be an issue with the footage; the manual warns that as the camera gets hotter, the picture quality degrades.

thats lame!

NoxNoctus
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
thats lame!

All cameras with electronic sensors do, in some form or another. imagers operate best and with the least amount of interference when they're run cool, which is why Astronomy geeks cool their CCDs so they can take very long exposures of very faint objects. If you don’t cool it then you will go random noise that shows up as random pixels during your long exposures.

Barry_Green
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
thats lame!
It's also physics. Heat is bad for all electronics, all electronic circuitry performs better the cooler it is.
edit: should have read to the end of the thread, noxnoctus beat me to it.

Green Hornet
12-30-2009, 07:46 AM
We just had a concertshoot with two 7Ds and they both went into overheating-mode rather soon. It was an indoor venue and rather warm, but not hot. still, rolling for 30 minutes and they were both in trouble. i took out the lens and battery for a minute and then got to shoot a few minutes again, before the warning light came on again. so indoors and in heat it is an issue.

at the same time i have shot several pieces outside and inside where the cam wasn´t rolling for such long periods and had no issues at all. so what´s a problem is the constant shooting-mode.

What serial numbers are your cams? I would think you will find newer cameras to be better in this regard. I have held off buying until this overheating thing is minimized. When I worked at Canon, they would constantly do small upgrades in parts without saying there were changes made. Often the part numbers would change the tenth placeholder to indicate a change even though they were interchangeable, and may not be able to visablly tell a difference. In some cases a problem such as this could include shielding to insulate a troubled area from heat. Even if the actual heat is not lessened, shielding could possibly eliminate a shut down.

mcvideo
12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
green hornet, are you implying you know have a newer model with minor changes based on the serial number?

Ronster
12-30-2009, 06:30 PM
that is very informative...so if the lite comes on we should hold off shooting and wait for the camera to cool and the warning to go away.....thanks for the info

Green Hornet
12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
green hornet, are you implying you know have a newer model with minor changes based on the serial number?

No. I was simply saying that Canon, in the past, has constantly done updates to hardware and software with out publicly saying so. As the product evolves, they will likely eliminate the over heating issue, and likely will not say they "FIXED" anything, otherwise that could trigger a recall which could cost them money.

If serial numbers could be tracked, you may find at some point, the problems no longer happen. I don't think we are there yet, but do see that as a possibility.

aragorn65
05-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Setting the lcd brightness to mid level and setting it to manual helps a lot in keeping the camera from over heating. I was able to shoot at 40 degrees temp environment. The temp warning never showed up in the entire shoot.

willber
05-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I received my 7D a week ago, and have been shooting in 720 50p, and in my first day of shooting got the warning in about 30 minutes, not too happy!

So phoned Canon and they advised that I install the latest firmware as I was running 1.1.0, and so I installed 1.2.1, and now it seems to be fine.

I shot 1080 25p all day at a wedding today and didnt get the warning once; apparently the new firmware prevents the warning from displaying so soon, as it was giving the warning before it really needed to with the old firmware, so fingers crossed its not so frustrating from now on.

bwwd
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
my 550d was showing overheating sign,i wasnt even recording anything,i had it turned on long periods of time tho.But it can overheat without recording too

DEPTH OF PHIL
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Use mine all the time in the desert, no over heating so far. New firmware 1.2.1 is for overheating issues, it may or may not help, Just a quick thought, Cheers

stephenvv
06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I just completed a very hot shoot indoors and out with new firmware and I really see a difference. Had no overheats shooting this weekend in 80-90 F temps with very high humidity.

Jewlz the director
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I guess i"ll keep my fingers crossed,i bought my 7D about a month ago from B&H and have'nt experienced any probs as of yet....knock,knock on wood.

ROCKMORE
06-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I had a commercial shoot yesterday using a 7D and 550D. I switched between camera bodies to try to avoid heading. The shoot was in a tropical climate and both cameras worked in the same conditions all day. It was a commercial so the cameras started and stopped all day for takes. The 550D never showed the overheating warning, while the 7D did get a warning continuously.
The 550D was set to shut off after being idle after 30 sec. The 7D can only be set to a minimum of 1 minute so I think the extra 30 seconds is what killed it. I started manually turning the 7D of and the problem seemed to be resolved when I did.
Just can't keep these cameras on for very long.

bill totolo
06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Just completed 2 days of shooting in Memphis with the 5D. 96 degrees and humid, no problem except for a potential hot pixel in my LCD. Image transfers are clean.

Thoughts?

bwwd
06-06-2010, 07:56 PM
go to M mode and turn on manual sensor cleaning with camera cap on,or lens with cap,wait on manual cleaning 30 seconds and this should fix your pixel,it fixed mine.
Or is it pixel on lcd not sensor?

bill totolo
06-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Tried that, ng. It's on the LCD.