PDA

View Full Version : Before the DSLR era, it was the Compact camera VGA era!

erik_ande_85
12-08-2009, 04:31 AM
When me and my friends were on a road trip a few years ago. We pulled off from the highway and drove into the desert in Death valley right outside Las Vegas.

I thought what a great place to shot a music video for my friends new song.
-How much time do we have until the sun goes down?
- Maybe 30 min.

- What can we shoot on?
- I have a digital camera that shoots VGA!

- Well then! Let's do it! One take!
:Drogar-Smoke(DBG):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_JsFyYkto8

Alan Certeza
12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
wow! IMO this music video reminded me of Spike Jonze's style. Hopefully thats more of a compliment then an insult.

Professionally done! Also I'm always bias to "one take" shoot/scenes.

Great stuff.

erik_ande_85
12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Haha, how can anyone see it as an insult to be compared with Spike Jonze:)
Thanks!

Alan Certeza
12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
well you never know....hahaha once I compare someone's work to Maya Deren and she got so pissed. so you never know. hahaha

Ron Rodenmeyer
12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
If someone got pissed about being compared to Maya Deren, she should perhaps seek a new line of work.

Ron Rodenmeyer
12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Erik-

That is fantastic! Exactly how did you do it? Back of a truck with music playing through car stereo? How'd you stabilize the camera? Great job making the singer work for this. I expect most would politely decline such a physical challenge.

erik_ande_85
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks Ron!

Yes thats correct! I sat in the trunk of the car while we played it through the stereo.

The only thing that is stabalized is the last 10 seconds of the video. Done with smooth cam in FCP. Everyhting else is just handheld.

Ron Rodenmeyer
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
That's quite a feat. I thought it looked like steady handheld work, but holding the composition for that long is highly impressive! Maybe not as hard as running and "singing" for the entire song but difficult nonetheless. It's really a great but simple idea executed very well with very limited tools. Hats off to this one.

beastofburden
12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
very nice idea and well executed. Reminds me of a short film I made a couple of years ago on an early Nokia cameraphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CXCYQFty9w

It actually has 5 cuts in the movie - that's the advantage of pixelated cameraphone footage, you can disguise cuts easily!