PDA

View Full Version : It's possible to take pictures while filming a video with the GH1 ?

brosen
12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi, yesterday I was filming my son's Wrestling match and I missed the option to take pictures while I was filming the video, do you know if it's possible to do that ?, thanks

Barry_Green
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
You can't take still photos while recording video. You'd have to stop recording video and then you could take stills.

RieniO
12-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Uh. When you are filming with the GH1 you ARE taking pictures, 30 pics per second!

Barry_Green
12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, yeah, but not at the quality that you get when shooting a dedicated still frame. The stills are much higher quality than the video frame grabs.

RieniO
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah I know, of course real stills will look better because they are in RAW format, then I must honestly admit and I haven't taken a single still with my GH1 yet, for stills I use a Nikon D300, I use the GH1 for filming only and I love it.

MR Fanny
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Uh. When you are filming with the GH1 you ARE taking pictures, 30 pics per second!

could have reworded that a bit better, considering that you know the difference in image quality.

tflak
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah I know, of course real stills will look better because they are in RAW format.

The stills will look much better in JPEG format too. That said, once I shot in RAW it's the only thing I shoot in anymore.

RieniO
12-10-2009, 02:49 AM
could have reworded that a bit better, considering that you know the difference in image quality.

Yes you could. And you should. Do it. Now.

RieniO
12-10-2009, 02:51 AM
The stills will look much better in JPEG format too. That said, once I shot in RAW it's the only thing I shoot in anymore.

I use frame grabs from GH1 footage a lot and it's much more usable than grabs from ordinary video footage. It comes very close to digital still photography and my point is, if you really need a still and you WERE NOT able to take a proper still photo, you will get a long way with a still grab.

tflak
12-10-2009, 03:23 AM
While I agree that if you really need a still and you were unable to take a proper still photo, you will get a long way with a still grab...I don't think you'll find many who would agree that a frame grab from the GH1's video footage comes anywhere even close to what you can get by shooting a still - either RAW or JPEG.

RieniO
12-10-2009, 03:43 AM
I made a typo, it should have been "if you really need a still and you WERE NOT able to take a proper still photo, you will get a long way with a still grab". Everybody knows that stills are better, when I wrote in my first post "you're taking 30 pics per second" I was merely saying that I find the picture quality of the video footage, when looking at frame by frame, very good. But I should have put a smiley there :-)

Again, I take all my stills using a Nikon D300, so I do get proper stills without having to switch my GH1 from movie mode to still mode and back all the time.

Ozpeter
12-10-2009, 05:57 AM
I'll probably be using still grabs soon because I want to get a group photo of my family, which includes two dogs and two toddling grandchildren, and the chances of getting them all well posed in a single still photo is close to zero. I'll probably set a fast shutter speed contrary to normal video practice and that should help avoid motion blur in the stills.

Question for me to answer by experiment - MJPEG or AVCHD better for still grabs???

MR Fanny
12-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Yes you could. And you should. Do it. Now.
ha..ah yeah sorry, my typo. was meant to say;

You could have reworded that a bit better, considering that you know the difference in image quality :-)

I think frame grabs do a decent job for web content only, myface and the like. I'm hedging my bets MJPEG would be better for it? Post up your findings Optezer.