PDA

View Full Version : Gh1 702p or 1080p

JonnyLev
12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey guys, i'm new here. I just bought this camera after reading all these great reviews, though at first i was going for the hp170.

Question: in avchd mode, 720 and 1080 both record in 17mbs yea? so will 720 be better since there is less compression? I'm not interested in showing this in theaters...

2) is the 720p 60F interlaced or deinterlaced?

3) how long will it take me to make 60f into 24f for 720 on relatively fast computer with compressor? any quality loss?? will there be native 24 in 720 mode?

4) i didn't know this earlier about CROP factor, but i bought bunch of canon fd lens. Their still in use, but is there any lens brand of series for primes lens which has minimal crop factor like 1.1 or 1.2???

thanks in advance..peace

Barry_Green
12-04-2009, 05:59 PM
1) In actuality, the 720p does indeed seem to be less compressed than the 1080.
2) There's no such thing as interlacing when talking about 720p. 720 is always pure progressive.
4) The lens doesn't have the crop factor, it's the camera body that has it. Well, sort of... there are also lenses that are designed for smaller sensors. Your GH1 can use full-frame, or APS-C lenses. But no matter what type of lens you use, the focal length will be the same, so an 18mm full-frame lens will look exactly the same, when mounted on a GH1, as an 18mm APS-C lens.

JonnyLev
12-04-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks barry..wow, i can't tell you how happy I am that you have replied. No lies, i actually felt nervous like the kids do when they talk to big stars...lol

alright
questions

1) okay, since 720 is compressed less, is the quality better and is it less likely to show artifacts?
2) converting 720 60P to 24 p, how long will it take on cpompressor and on relativly fast computer?
3) The crop factor in terms of width. Since 50mm will be 100mm on gh1 right? so o'm losing the wide angle. is there any lens which are close to the 4/3 sensor and manual?

Martti Ekstrand
12-05-2009, 02:05 AM
1. You have nearly twice the image area in 1080p so it's a whole lot of more detail to work with even if you scale down later. I use 720 when I think I might want to use slow-motion in the edit or when doing some really fast camera action. And then more to avoid rolling shutter skew than fear of codec breaking.

2. Read all about getting from 60p to 24p here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=175852

3. Since you already have the GH1 with the kit lens it's easy, forget all the crop factor talk, just set the zoom to 100mm and you see exactly the field of view you get with a 100mm CanonFD, Nikon F, Zeiss, Olympus, Leica or any other lens you can attach with a adapter. Ditto for any other focal length you are considering. Focal length is a constant denomination of the lens, the field of view it give depends on negative / sensor size. So on GH1 any 25mm is a 'normal' just like 50mm is on a 135 still camera but on a medium-format Hasselblad 50mm is pretty wide angle and 25mm is extreme wide.