PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Artifact

seanmcleod
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure this issue is probably been brought up before but I'm not sure what exactly to call it so I can't really find it in a search. I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done about those little vertical lines, they almost look like splices, that appear in GH1 footage. It looks a lot like an interlaced artifact left behind or something. Is this part of what happens when shooting fast motion, or is it something with encoding.

Okay, so I just tried to take screen grab of what I was talking about to show you but when I go frame by frame I can't see it, and it doesn't seem to be present in the same place necessarily every time, or my eyes just don't catch it every time.

Watch this film at around the 2:55 to 3:03 mark... right when the elevator door is about to close you can see it... it looks like little cuts in the footage...

http://vimeo.com/7927504

What's up with that?

Ian-T
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
What is what? I saw nothing.

seanmcleod
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
You can see it a lot here too... when he moves into the next room...

http://vimeo.com/7569289

ydgmdlu
12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
You're referring to the screen tearing issue. It's not an issue with your footage. It's an artifact of your video card rendering the Flash video on the Web page. How to make it go away? Get a new video card and install the Flash Player 10.1 beta, which has GPU acceleration for Flash video.

seanmcleod
12-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I do see it when cutting in FCP as well though... is it still just because the stock card on my macbook pro isn't up to snuff?

Martti Ekstrand
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Basically what you see is the frame rate of the video you playing out of sync with the refresh rate of the video card and screen. The frame changes during a refresh and you see half of two frames. I see it as well on my computer screen but as I use a broadcast monitor fed by a Blackmagic Design capture and playback card for dead-sync editing I don't look much at the viewer and canvas. Sometimes I even close them and have a huge vertical timeline when the layers start to stack up - especially for audio editing.

ydgmdlu
12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I do see it when cutting in FCP as well though... is it still just because the stock card on my macbook pro isn't up to snuff?
Yes.

As long as you don't see the artifact when going frame-by-frame, then there is no problem at all in the footage. Common sense.

seanmcleod
12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Really? You had to finish it with "common sense"?

ydgmdlu
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry if that offended you.

Even I lapse when it comes to common sense. So does everyone.

John Caballero
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Common sense is a good thing to use in this kinds of situations.