PDA

View Full Version : Tecnical question: Panasonic 2.2/3-inch CMOS Image Sensor

Freak77
11-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Hi!

I have a question. I read an article about a new Panasonic 2.2/3-inch CMOS Image Sensor Based on Dual Resolution and Exposure Technique. How big is 2.2/3 sensor? And would such a sensor be a candidate for future Panasonic DSLR+video camera?

http://43rumors.com/ft5-new-panasonic-2-23-inch-cmos-image-sensor-based-on-dual-resolution-and-exposure-technique/

Thanks!

Barry_Green
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
2.2/3 means about 2/3", which is about 1/4 the size of a Four Thirds sensor.

Barry_Green
11-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Ooh, well, just looked through that, and man, I want to go to that conference, there's a ton of fascinating things going on. Including a session on "what comes after CMOS?" New sensor technologies that wouldn't be dependent on CMOS at all. And presentations on global shutter CMOS technologies, and on-chip HDR, and all sorts of fun stuff.

But -- back to that chip -- the way I read it, they're talking about a slightly-larger-than-2/3" chip that has 4K resolution. But you can also put it in 2K mode, and when in 2K mode it reads the green pixels once every 4 frames, but it reads the red & blue every frame -- but still binned 2x2. Sounds like it'd give great resolution in 2K (a 4K Bayer chip actually has 2K of green pixels on it) and 4x as much sensitivity, and the red & blue somehow keep the edge resolution high over the course of time (the time being the binning of the green over 4 frames).

Pretty clever. Interesting to see how it works. Now if they'll just "turn it around" like the backlit EXMOR-R sensor, you should see some crazy level of sensitivity, probably like 3200 ISO or more...

dcloud
11-27-2009, 07:17 PM
if the lx4 backlit sensor is true thats a good possibility :)

Martti Ekstrand
11-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Now if they'll just "turn it around" like the backlit EXMOR-R sensor, you should see some crazy level of sensitivity, probably like 3200 ISO or more...

And make a 4/3 version!

John Caballero
11-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, it goes to show that Panasonic is working hard on new sensor and video related technologies to up those Ks and deliver the next generation video quality. I am sure that eventually they will surprise us with RAW capture and a bunch of other goodies. Probably all in time for Scarlet time. I love Panasonic, they have given us quite a few great cameras. Keep on chuging along. We will be waiting