PDA

View Full Version : What do you love about the 7D?

der4
11-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Recently I've decided to purchase a DSLR. I've read several threads that are about comparing the DSLR's. Personally I can afford either. But I'm trying to make a decision on which one to buy first. I'm leaning towards the 7D because of the cinema frame size and 60P for slowmotion, as I'm going to shoot short narrative pieces, working on my cinematography skills.

I'm not as much interested in what is better or worse in other DSLR's because from my point of view both are great for the price! What I would like to know is for you, the filmmaker, to tell me what you love about the 7D technically, artistically etc. and it's shortcomings. (If you use particular gear that helps, especially lenses, that would be nice to know as well.)

Basically I just want to here from users of the 7D and the positives and negatives in using the 7D. (I plan on posting something similar in the D5 forum to hear from their experiences as well.)

Thanks !

PerroneFord
11-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Not trying to be an ass here but it's seven D NOT D seven. You'll confuse everyone because Nikon's naming puts th "D" first while Canon puts it last.

Make sense?

TheDynamoDuo
11-26-2009, 10:21 AM
The list is too long for me but ultimately I got the 7D after giving up on Red and then seeing the 5D Mark II in action.

But some of the reasons I love it are:

Insanely beautiful image, straight out of the camera!
Full manual control
Stellar slo-mo
Interchangeable lenses and excellent glass might I add
Small, giving a whole new meaning to run 'n gun shooting
Excellent still camera as well (hell, its a still camera first and video second)

NoxNoctus
11-27-2009, 02:06 AM
I love it for its strengths and I love it for it's mostly manageable flaws at a manageable price point. I love that it looks like I'm shooting with a much more expensive camera without draining the bank account as much, and I love that my clients love what I can do with it and the image I can produce with it.

Jester2138
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I like that it gives me a reason to argue with people on internet chat boards about whether or not it beats the Red ONE.

NoxNoctus
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
I like that it gives me a reason to argue with people on internet chat boards about whether or not it beats the Red ONE.

Well this one goes without saying! :D

Osslund
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I love it because it's a cool cam and I can do cool stuff with it.

Jewlz the director
06-09-2010, 06:47 AM
I like it because it is so much more compact to travel with than my redrock.The images are excellent with the proper lenses and settings and i'm still amazed how beautiful the images can be straight from the camera.my 2..

jonE5
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
great image, easy workflow, great controls, great build quailty/durability, weather sealing, etc... etc...

So much better than the D90 i had (video wise)

William_Robinette
06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Stealth shooting

Weather sealing