PDA

View Full Version : Ruminations on Kurosawa and the 7D

kron
11-25-2009, 06:35 AM
(With a nod to Barry Greenís tests.)
Let us say Kurosawa is on a desert island. Well, not Kurosawa, thatís too implausible. Letís say a guy, who because of his love of creating lush imagery, thinks heís Kurosawa. So K. is alone on this gorgeous island with a 7D, an HMC40, an HMC150 ~ and an HV20, since I already own one. WHICH CAMERA SHOULD K USE to shoot the waves and palm trees and pelicans if he wants to get his lush vision up on the big screen? Is there any substantial difference between these cameras in image quality?

Oh, driven mad by loneliness, K. no longer cares about DOF (canít even remember what the acronym stands for) or shooting in low light.

I, too, wonder about these questions since weíre to understand that the HMC40 has Ďbetter resolutioní than the 7D, even better than the HMC150 in adequate light, and surely the HV20 is in a class with the HMC40. K. is by now too depressed to even ask how much an improvement the 5II will be over any of these.

Barry_Green
11-25-2009, 09:41 AM
For the waves? No question, I'd use the HMC40. It has the highest detail and the most robust codec, and you're talking about its sweet spot there -- daylight, exterior, no shallow DOF required.

The HMC150 isn't as sharp, the HV20 might (or might not) choke on the waves with its HDV compression, and the 7D might put colored aliasing on the waves (http://vimeo.com/6546960). (which, that clip alone might answer your 5D question, since it was shot on a 5D, as was this one (http://vimeo.com/7443352)).

For closeups of pelicans and such, the 7D would be the winner. Palm trees... well, yeah, probably still the 7D, although I wonder if the bark texture might cause some aliasing funkiness.

kron
11-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks, BG. An odd question about the DOF (K professes no interest in). People go to the 7D for DOF. Is there no DOF at all to speak of, no Bokeh, in these other video cameras. Do they violate the laws of optics even when doing CUs in Telephoto?

Barry_Green
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
DOF exists in all lenses at all times. It just happens to do so in varying degrees, of course. At maximum telephoto, especially on nature stuff (flowers, leaves, etc), you can get quite shallow DOF on a 1/3" camera; it's a little harder to get it on a 1/4".

It really depends on how far the background is, too... use an HMC150 or HV20, point it at a subject, open up the iris, and with a background that's 40 feet away, you'll have a lovely shallow-DOF-looking "pop" to the shot.

But if you're talking about trying to shoot interviews in a 12' x 12' room, yeah, there's pretty much no such thing as shallow DOF on any of the smaller-sensor units, whereas something like the 7D with an f/2 or so could still pull it off pretty well.