PDA

View Full Version : Scriptfest VI - Betrayal

Isaac_Brody
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
DVXUSER.COM PRESENTS SCRIPTFEST 6 – VI

**BETRAYAL**

1. to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty
2. to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling: to betray a trust.
3. to disappoint the hopes or expectations of; be disloyal to: to betray one's friends.
4. to reveal or disclose in violation of confidence: to betray a secret.
5. to reveal unconsciously (something one would preferably conceal): Her nervousness betrays her insecurity.
6. to show or exhibit; reveal; disclose: an unfeeling remark that betrays his lack of concern.
7. to deceive, misguide, or corrupt: a young lawyer betrayed by political ambitions into irreparable folly.
8. to seduce and desert.

Scene requirement: There is no scene requirement
Length: 6 pages
Dates: November 25th – January 5th
* Scripts submitted for Scriptfest are eligible for use in regular DVXfests
* Upload details will be announced at the end of the writing period.
* Scripts should be in PDF form.
* One submission per person.

Jason Ramsey
11-25-2009, 01:45 AM
awesome.

krestofre
11-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Scriptfest ... hello, old friend.

Tim Joy
11-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Nice!

Randall_Oelerich
11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm in. Where can I learn more about how the scriptfest works? Never done one before. Should be interesting, something to help pass the time in what will be a long cold winter.

Jason Ramsey
11-25-2009, 12:59 PM
It's pretty straight-forward. Just write a script that meets the above requirements and upload it when the time comes. The upload info will be provided at a later date.

But, you can go to the scriptfest section for starters if you want to read about past scriptfests and such:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=154

Randall_Oelerich
11-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Okay so I have a script written-- do I wait and upload it when the date arrives (it would be nice to know that date in advance), then what? Are uploaded scripts judged to see which make it through a judging filter to then present to filmmakers for collaboration? Or are the script just judged on their own merit as betrayalfest scripts, whether or not they get produced? I am confused (on life in general, but for now let's deal w/ my confusion on this fest)

Jason Ramsey
11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
yup. upload it when uploading date comes. then, you and all your peers will read, discuss and rate the scripts.

You can do whatever you want with your script after that, and it's certainly eligible to be used by betrayalfest filmmakers... not a requirement. You can make it available to them if you would like. Or, if you'd like to make the one you already have finished (since it doesn't seem like it was written for this fest specifically) available for betrayalfest filmmakers, then just post int he collaboration section of betrayalfest that you have a script available.

Then, write a new one for scriptfest to be your scriptfest submission (which can also be offered to the filmmakers once this scriptfest is over.

Your submitted script for ScriptFest will be judged on it's own merits. This is an independent fest from the DVXFest BEtrayalFest short film festival, but we made the themes the same to allow for some additional cross-collaboration opportunities, should anyone want to do that.

Hope that helps.

later,
jason

Randall_Oelerich
11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks Jason, that explanation helps greatly. Any approximate deadline for submitting my screenplay, as I do not want to miss that deadline?

Jason Ramsey
11-25-2009, 03:38 PM
first post. january 5th.

bwind22
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Is that a maximum of 6 pages or do the scripts have to be 6 pages, no more, no less?

I guess the real question I have is... Could I enter a 1 page Betrayal script if I had one?

Chris_Keaton
11-25-2009, 03:57 PM
^Writer of the epically awesome 'Do Not Disturb'. :)^

Brian it's usually a max length.

Is that a maximum of 6 pages or do the scripts have to be 6 pages, no more, no less?

I guess the real question I have is... Could I enter a 1 page Betrayal script if I had one?

Blaine
11-25-2009, 05:22 PM
And if you're writing with the Betrayal Fest in mind, remember the 1 page/minute rule doesn't translate for shorts the way it does on longer pieces. Dispatch was definitely under three pages and Red and the Wolf was four pages. That's first and second place in MonsterFest OR first and third in the jury voting.

Captain Pierce
11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
My last ScriptFest entry was only about four pages, and it wasn't disqualified for that... of course, it didn't win either, but the length probably wasn't the problem there. :D

Captain Pierce
11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Also, with regards to Randall's posts... isn't it supposed to be a rule that the script is written only during the Scriptfest period, as a movie Fest entry is shot only during that Fest? Or has that gone away at some point?

Nothing personal, Randall...

Ezekiel667
11-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Boy I have been out of the loop for a while. Nice to be back. Gearing up for one hell of a Betrayal for this one!

Rodney V. Smith
11-26-2009, 06:19 AM
I might throw on on the fire, just for the hell of if.

ramsaur
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I've actually been thinking about this. I may not be the best writer, but I'd like to get some feedback and start improving on my writing skills again. It's been a while since I wrote a screenplay.

Noel Evans
11-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Question: I know you can develop a script and then pass it to someone to shoot for the fests.

But, can I enter a script into this and then shoot the piece myself?

DarkElastic
11-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Question: I know you can develop a script and then pass it to someone to shoot for the fests.

But, can I enter a script into this and then shoot the piece myself?

Yes you can. Two come to mind in the last Fest, Mercy and Channel 8.

Sprocketboy
11-27-2009, 05:20 PM
And if you're writing with the Betrayal Fest in mind, remember the 1 page/minute rule doesn't translate for shorts the way it does on longer pieces. Dispatch was definitely under three pages and Red and the Wolf was four pages. That's first and second place in MonsterFest OR first and third in the jury voting.

I have to agree that 1 page/minute does not translate well for shorts in this fest. I've struggled through it twice following the traditional 1 min per page rule. Eventually, I'll crack this nut, but I really don't believe it has anything to do with anyone winning. It may lead toward building better story structure for the length but not a better story.

Blaine
11-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Eventually, I'll crack this nut, but I really don't believe it has anything to do with anyone winning. It may lead toward building better story structure for the length but not a better story.Well, I tend to believe it goes a long way to making better stories because the one complaint that always crops up is: we had to cut it because it was too long. That means story elements were cut and so the film suffered overall. A tight story that fit into the six minute structure has a natural advantage in that all the story elements are there and there's no need for extra explanation so the viewer can understand the story.

But to your point, yeah, if the story's not good to begin with, it doesn't matter how complete it is within the six minute time frame.

Sprocketboy
11-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm with you on this Blaine, and I'm planning on applying it to anything I make here in the future.

Nitsuj
11-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Well I have a question. This last festival was horror based and it was right up my alley. If somebody twisted the basis of betrayal into the horror realm would it be accepted with welcome hands in this environment? Is the DVX crowd welcome to the dark side? My stories seem to drift to darkness and I was wondering how acceptable the horror genre is to the dvx community?

Rodney V. Smith
11-27-2009, 07:52 PM
best thing about the themes is that it's open to any genre. Go for it!

Blaine
11-27-2009, 07:54 PM
We did the "dark side" of love in Love Fest with Where the Heart Lies. It's pretty wide open as long as you mike it about betrayal. You'd want to check with Isaac to be sure, though.

Sprocketboy
11-27-2009, 07:57 PM
The idea of betrayal is pretty dark in the first place.

Jason Ramsey
11-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Yup. you can make a zombie betrayal script if you want. whatever floats your boat. Just stick to the theme and place it in any genre you like.

later,
Jason

Nitsuj
11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Cool I'll continue on with my ideas then. Gracias.

MML
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Helllooooo. I'm a newbie, although I know quite a few of you from MP. I have a question about Scriptfest. I understand the theme and contest info, and I'm really looking forward to submitting something. But if I already have a short written that meets the theme, is there anywhere to post a link for filmmakers? Or is that stepping on the toes of the Scripfest writers?

Jason Ramsey
11-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Helllooooo. I'm a newbie, although I know quite a few of you from MP. I have a question about Scriptfest. I understand the theme and contest info, and I'm really looking forward to submitting something. But if I already have a short written that meets the theme, is there anywhere to post a link for filmmakers? Or is that stepping on the toes of the Scripfest writers?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. You can post it here in the collaboration section of BetrayalFest:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=197

However, you wouldn't be able to submit it to ScriptFest - BetrayalFest, since it wasn't written for this fest.

But, you are more than welcome to offer it up to the filmmakers for their endeavors in the short film fest (DVXFest/betrayalFEST)

later,
jason

MML
11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Ah ha! Thank you! I couldn't find that thread. I'm definitely writing something new for the Jan deadline but I have a completed short that fits the theme and since I've never had anything I've written filmed, I figured I'd toss it out there. :)

Thanks again Jason.

Russell Moore
12-07-2009, 05:40 AM
Bummer...I can't believe I missed Monsterfest Scriptfest.

Wasn't sure if I was going to do this scriptfest or not and then my brain started cooking last night and I think I may have something.

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and reading some great scripts.

StefanHaynes
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Ballin'. I'm in this time.

Thank you, Isaac, for your continued work on Scriptfest. It's really appreciated.

Charli
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
If you find your script pages falls short, like 4 or 5, to make it 6 learn to

CHEAT

your pages. Instead of "clunks" of action description, break the whole thing up
one sentence at a time. So it looks more like this. Trust me it works because if
you write your paragraphs up to four or six lines at a time, the pages fall short.

you pages. Instead of "clunks of action description, break the whole thing up into one sentence at a time.

So it looks more like this.

Trust me it works because if you write your paragraphs up to four or six lines the pages falls short.

See what I mean? Cheat.

ConspiracyPenguin
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Plot outline complete.

I figure this is an appropriate way to return from my much regrettable hiatus. :)

Chris_Keaton
12-30-2009, 09:06 AM
If you find your script pages falls short, like 4 or 5, to make it 6 learn to

CHEAT

your pages. Instead of "clunks" of action description, break the whole thing up
one sentence at a time. So it looks more like this. Trust me it works because if
you write your paragraphs up to four or six lines at a time, the pages fall short.

you pages. Instead of "clunks of action description, break the whole thing up into one sentence at a time.

So it looks more like this.

Trust me it works because if you write your paragraphs up to four or six lines the pages falls short.

See what I mean? Cheat.

Huh? Were you joking? When I hear cheat I think of someone doing the opposite to get their screenplay to fit into 6 pages. Oh, maybe that's what you were hinting at? :)

Anyone thinking of doing any of this consider proper screenplay format. An action block should be a what the camera is seeing in a moment. If attention is on one thing and then it switches, you would start a new block. Now you can also separate lines to add to the tension.
To boil it down, if you are making a block of dialog with loads of action odds are you need to break it up. If you find a block of dialog that is all description, but no action odds are it needs to be combined with another action block.

Action Block 101 is now done. :laugh:

Now, honestly does a director really care? Yep, they might not know what bugs them, but that could be it, so don't do that.

Oh, this also can effect your timing. You want each page to average a minute of film time, so if you are combining action blocks you are throwing your timing off. In shorts this timing is hard as heck to achieve. I can guarantee a 3-4 page screenplay will almost always be a 6 minute film. So don't shoot yourself in the foot by cramming too much into a 6 page screenplay like I do. :)

Mailliw87
01-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Does the screenplay have to be exactly 6 pages? Mine's looking to be shorter.

DarkElastic
01-01-2010, 06:47 AM
It can't go over 6, but can be under.

Mailliw87
01-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Ok, thanks. No worries for me then, think it will land on 3-4 pages.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-05-2010, 06:55 AM
So I guess we'll be uploading these soon? Tomorrow maybe?

MAH

Captain Pierce
01-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah, a little advance notification on the upload scenario would be nice, as my home internet is a bit spotty and I may have to upload from work...

...well, assuming I get the $*(!ing thing done... :D

Isaac_Brody
01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorting out on our end. Upload will be available soon. Take the time and keep polishing.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorting out on our end. Upload will be available soon. Take the time and keep polishing.
Thanks for the update!

MAH

Mailliw87
01-05-2010, 12:14 PM
So is it today the 5th we submit or is tomorrow the 6th? Or can it be either?

Anthony Todaro
01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
i think it's probably tomorrow... I'm new around here but from the past scriptfest posts, it looks like there will be a Post, unto itself devoted to uploading after the end of the last day... So i'm guessing tomorrow or shortly after...

Mailliw87
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Ok cheers, I'll relax then. Pretty burned out on this script as of now..

mookid
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
regarding script length: a few dialogue lines here and there can make all the difference.
I thought mine would end up at 4 pages like in the first draft. But as each character began to talk a bit more i could hardly meet the limit.

RodThompson
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
<Looks at his calendar and taps it like a watch that's not ticking>

Jan 5th?

Tom Shortridge
01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Shoot - I just uploaded and forgot to check - are we supposed to have a title page on it?

Russell Moore
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Its not a requirement.

alveraz
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Arrrggghhh. Wouldn't you know it? I've been begging to be a part of one these forever and the one time I split from this forum for a couple months, you guys post a contest. Just my luck. Any word on when the next one goes down? Grr.

Captain Pierce
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, the upload's not finished yet, so if you write really fast... :D

Isaac_Brody
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Upload is closed tomorrow 12 noon.

arroway
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
in by a hair...

Chris_Keaton
01-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Is this happening? Should we send beer?

Isaac_Brody
01-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Sorry, waiting on the fest master to get the downloads setup.

thartley
01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Sorry, waiting on the fest master to get the downloads setup.

You know we appreciate all the work that goes on behind these things... :) We've got the easy part. ;)

Nitsuj
01-10-2010, 10:22 PM
You know we appreciate all the work that goes on behind these things... :) We've got the easy part. ;)

I second that.

Chris_Keaton
01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
So, ah, when this shindig wrapping up?

Charli
01-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Never Chris, it's will go on and on and on and on...

Isaac_Brody
01-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Wraps up tomorrow at noon, then tabulatin' and results.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Cool. I think I know who has first and second locked, third is up in the air for me. Could be a tight race.

Charli
01-25-2010, 12:46 PM
MAH - want to share or wager? lol, no, not Vegas.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I'll PM it to you as long as you promise to keep it quiet until the DVX reveal.
I also bet you that I get the top two correct. I'm stumped on the third though.

And yes, I'm willing to bet. :)

Charli
01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Sure, pm me!

Chris_Keaton
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Can I get in on this action?

RodThompson
01-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Wait...this is a contest?

Charli
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Rod - there are placements, yes.

Chris_Keaton
01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Not where you are concerned Rod. :)

RodThompson
01-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Feck, what did I have to do to enter!? Was there a fee? I now that some internet people can get into my bank account! They don't do that do they? What about anal fisting????

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Sure, pm me!
Done. :happy:

DarkElastic
01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
What about anal fisting????

Done. :happy:

:shocked:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-26-2010, 05:34 AM
You guys are sick. :Drogar-KnockedOut(D

ZazaCast
01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
....and the winners are............................

Isaac_Brody
01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry for the delay, just waiting for the last self votes to be removed so the rankings are all fair. When that's done I will post results.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
?
We are always forced to rate our own work in the DVX film fests. Not so here?

MAH

Tom Shortridge
01-26-2010, 04:07 PM
?
We are always forced to rate our own work in the DVX film fests. Not so here?

MAH

I'm thinking there aren't nearly as many voters in Scriptfest, so individual votes may be more statistically significant here, and could more easily skew the results? I dunno.

Isaac_Brody
01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
I prefer that people not rate their own work because you're too close to it. And, sometimes there's a tendency to rate it an automatic 10, which is just tacky. So I'm killing all those votes. Next time I'll remind people not to vote for themselves.

And yes, with a smaller voting pool those little votes can make a difference.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking there aren't nearly as many voters in Scriptfest, so individual votes may be more statistically significant here, and could more easily skew the results? I dunno.

Makes sense. I disagree with the whole voting for yourself thing but in the film fests you have no choice.

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I prefer that people not rate their own work because you're too close to it.
That's always been my argument .

It would be cool if all the Fests were on the same page as far as voting rules go though. I definitely agree with this one.

Thanks for the clarification.

MAH

Charli
01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
You're taught in school that "one vote" is all it takes to lose a campaign (like for school council) and so it's just a given
that you give yourself a vote.

It really in the end shouldn't matter but then it goes back to - you can lose by one vote.

Captain Pierce
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Just to be clear--the 50 votes that I gave myself by creating 50 alternate accounts and then spamming posts across the board with them will still count, right? *wink wink nudge nudge*

I would say here that I'm kidding, but I suspect my ranking in the fest will say that for me... :D

Isaac_Brody
01-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I should also mention that it's also very noticeable when people vote down everyone else's piece and give one script a 10. Those kinds of votes are deleted. Why would someone do something like this? It's beyond me.

Ironically BETRAYAL crept into our voting pool. ;)

Charli
01-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I think if you "entered" you shouldn't vote at all, that's including both the script and the film fests here, but that's my opinion.

I think if you step into the 'ring' you should allow others outside the ring to vote and let the votes fall where they may.

I'm also not sure why we have a ranking system. Most voting systems are if you vote for the one you think is best, one vote.

You then tabulate according to the number of votes and get your ranking that way. This system does seem cumbersome.

Russell Moore
01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I should also mention that it's also very noticeable when people vote down everyone else's piece and give one script a 10. Those kinds of votes are deleted. Why would someone do something like this? It's beyond me.

I prefer that people not rate their own work because you're too close to it. And, sometimes there's a tendency to rate it an automatic 10, which is just tacky. So I'm killing all those votes. Next time I'll remind people not to vote for themselves.

A simple solution (well I don't know if it's technically simple), make everyone's rankings(that is, how they ranked each script) public after a scriptfest.

Of course that would probably open up a whole new can of worms. :shocked:

Russell Moore
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
HTML code:? I have no idea what or how I just did that in the previous post.

Isaac_Brody
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Hahaha. Yeah, and have everyone tear each other apart like dingos on a barrel of babies. That's not gonna happen.

Russell Moore
01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
lol. I didn't think so. Probably best just to clarify before the fest, hopefully if someone knew ahead of time, that their rankings were going to be deleted...they wouldn't bother doing something sketchy.

Captain Pierce
01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
With regards only to Scriptfest... if those who entered weren't allowed to vote, there wouldn't be any votes. :D

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm also not sure why we have a ranking system. Most voting systems are if you vote for the one you think is best, one vote.

You then tabulate according to the number of votes and get your ranking that way. This system does seem cumbersome.Ranking gives every entrant an idea of how they placed in the Fest and what everyone thought of their script. Regardless of placement.

Pretty valuable information really.

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-27-2010, 06:03 AM
So.... today maybe? :)

RodThompson
01-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Why are you worried?

"Not like you know anything about dedication; commitment to the team!" - Bud Kilmer 1998

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Why are you worried?

"Not like you know anything about dedication; commitment to the team!" - Bud Kilmer 1998LOL! How many fests have you been in? :)

Mangina!!!

:violent5:

RodThompson
01-27-2010, 06:54 AM
LOL! How many fests have you been in? :)

Mangina!!!

:violent5:

Ouch...

That was different. I was trying something I have never done before and failed miserably at it. But who knows...I still have the clay...

Charli
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Rod - did you say you have "clay" - uh, remember the movie, "Ghost" hmmm

RodThompson
01-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Rod - did you say you have "clay" - uh, remember the movie, "Ghost" hmmm

Your avatar picture and my hot profile picture should get together and make pots!

Of course...I'll have to get over my fascination with Chris Curl, first.

chriscurl
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I had always hoped my first stalker would be cuter, and well, you know, a girl. Oh well, can't win em all.

RodThompson
01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm not a stalker you silly goose...did you get the orange peels I left outside your door? Did you? Well?....Hello??? Are you there? I love you? Moonbeams are the clouds kneecap!!!

Did I scare you? I'm sorry...call me?

Charli
01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Rob - I'll call you, no wait, let me use somebody's phone in case you're a stalker, hmmm, wonder if Rodney will let me use his phone, though he is on the east coast....