PDA

View Full Version : New Beachtek XLR Adapters Coming - Disables AGC

larrys
11-24-2009, 05:39 AM
Hello All,

Just a heads-up to let everyone know that I received an email from Beachtek after asking them about the DXA-5D which showed as "discontinued" on the B&H website.

Beachtek said this:

"We will have two models. One will be a basic low cost version similar to the existing DXA-5D. The other will be a fully featured unit with all the bells and whistles."

They also said that they are coming in January.

Hope this helps anyone interested in this audio option.

Ben_B
11-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I wonder if this means the one without the bells and whistles will cost a less insane amount. It sort of pisses me off that all their adapters are like $100 but that one was $300 because it had the name 5D on it...yes I know it did more, but still, come on....one thing I think we're facing as HDSLR shooters is that companies think they can charge a huge amount for everything that says it's "for SLR" because they're so popular right now.

yabyum
11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the headsup. I'll be on the lookout for the low cost one. Hopefully it's less bulky too.

William_Robinette
11-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I wonder if this means the one without the bells and whistles will cost a less insane amount. It sort of pisses me off that all their adapters are like $100 but that one was $300 because it had the name 5D on it...yes I know it did more, but still, come on....one thing I think we're facing as HDSLR shooters is that companies think they can charge a huge amount for everything that says it's "for SLR" because they're so popular right now.

So you think that if they come out with something that does an actual great job at disabling the AGC and letting you have sync sound with your HDSLR in a package that attaches right to the camera (presumably with meters and proper pots) that $300 is too much?

Really, I think none of these companies have some conspiracy going on just because they are marketing towards a certain type of shooter. It costs what it costs.

larrys
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
If you have not seen it, here's a video demonstrating how the DXA-5d works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUd-j8vc8c

Ben_B
11-24-2009, 09:35 AM
When all it does is pump a tone into one of the channels (or is it both, either way it's a simple removal in post, that's not what I'm criticizing...keep reading) and their other XLR adapters cost $100 and for $300 you can get an amazing audio recorder with great built in mics then yes...it costs too much. It's not like their method for disabling AGC is some amazing breakthrough technologically, although it is clever...I just don't think it's $200 extra dollars more clever than their other devices...and the fact that most people here recommend the Zoom H4n (which can be used for lots of other things as well...recording foley, etc, for example) and post-sync over the beachtek would seem to be an indication of that. Also from what I have heard (literally) on the web the sound quality doesn't seem to be totally there...probably more the fault of these cameras than their equipment..but they want people to invest the same amount of money in their product as in a dedicated audio recorder it had better do the job at least as well...or be cheaper.

William_Robinette
11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Then qualify that it is too expensive for you.

Comparing it to the price of a Zoom isn't fair, Zoom is a much larger company pushing many more units to many more types of people. Beachtek is a niche product comparatively.

I just think it is presumptuous to think that a company could be making a product for much less then they retail at either from the, "it doesn't do much so it shouldn't cost much" or "they slap a badge on it and charge x amount more because of it," viewpoint.

You don't work there, you don't know.

*Again, this applies to the notion of a manufacturer intentionally screwing us. Like people thought of P2, or why Canon hasn't made everybody's dream camera, etc.

davidpula
11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
The high frequency pickup with AGC off if ridiculous. So this means you have go through the extra step of removing it in post. Really irritating that the solution of one problem introduces another one.

Ben_B
11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Beachtek has managed to charge $100 for their other niche products with, admittedly, slightly less tech in them than this one...so why now do they have to charge $300 for their new niche product (with somewhat more tech in it) especially given how popular these cameras are right now (for a niche.)

As for Zoom being a bigger company that doesn't matter: the fact is that beachtek still has to compete with them..and they're not going to do it by giving us less for the same price and still having a step in post...not saying its possible another way, just saying the beachtek is the perfect solution at $150...not $300.

mcgeedigital
11-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Unless it has FAR less noise than the current one, then the Juiced Link will still kick it's ass.

DrDave
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Why anyone would buy something that adds noise is amazing. For $400 you could get a Canon HF100 used and turn off the gain. For $150 you could get a Zoom H2.

larrys
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
True, and if anyone wants one, I am selling my great little Canon HF100 as I am about to buy the Panasonic!

davidpula
11-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Why anyone would buy something that adds noise is amazing. For $400 you could get a Canon HF100 used and turn off the gain. For $150 you could get a Zoom H2.

Thank you. I don't get it either!!!!

Osslund
11-25-2009, 03:17 AM
But the Zoom H2 is very noisy when using external input...

Ben_B
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
But the zoom h4n isn't and costs the same as the beachtek...

larrys
11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Has anyone used the Edirol? (same price as the h4n)

slinks
11-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Has anyone used the Edirol? (same price as the h4n)

larrys are you talking about the Edirol R-09?
Because I think the edirol doesn't have a xlr/quarter inch inputs whereas the zoom does.

to me that alone is a the deal breaker and the zoom is cheaper :D

also to others i wouldn't suggest getting the h2, or even the h4 for that matter. I would go with the h4n, I have it and love it.

I personally stay away from anything with 1/8 inch inputs...I just don't trust em for professional recordings. but thats just my opinion.

Psynema
11-26-2009, 01:33 AM
What exactly does Juiced Link do? is it just a mixer or does it disable agc as well?

ullanta
11-26-2009, 01:50 AM
You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Beachtek has managed to charge $100 for their other niche products with, admittedly, slightly less tech in them than this one...so why now do they have to charge $300 for their new niche product (with somewhat more tech in it) especially given how popular these cameras are right now (for a niche.).

Ben - I think you're missing the point, and are misinformed. Beachtek DOES sell one or two adapters for around $100 - these are passive adapters with few features. The cheapest Beachtek adapter that provides phantom power sells for around $275 on the street. The DXA-5D as I understand provides phantom power, meters, AGC-defeating circuitry, and monitoring - $300 seems not only in-line with other Beachtek prices, but actually cheaper than I'd expect. Seriously, dud, look at the whole Beachtek line and compare features and pricing... nothing at all "unfair" about the DXA-5D!

yoclay
11-26-2009, 01:50 AM
I agree with McgeeDigital. The Juicedlink is a far better solution. These tone generators are like very poor patches for a silly software problem. You will still have high end noise. The Juicedlink is a proper pre-amp but IT CAN ONLY WORK WITH MAGIC LANTERN which cuts the AGC program entirely. Thus for the moment not available for the 7D. You can hear the comparison tests by Jon Fairhurst over at Cinema5D in the audio section.

Ozpeter
11-26-2009, 01:54 AM
(Anyone wanting to know more about the various features and merits of portable recorders, have a look at http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-reviews.html )

Ben_B
11-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Ben - I think you're missing the point, and are misinformed. Beachtek DOES sell one or two adapters for around $100 - these are passive adapters with few features. The cheapest Beachtek adapter that provides phantom power sells for around $275 on the street. The DXA-5D as I understand provides phantom power, meters, AGC-defeating circuitry, and monitoring - $300 seems not only in-line with other Beachtek prices, but actually cheaper than I'd expect. Seriously, dud, look at the whole Beachtek line and compare features and pricing... nothing at all "unfair" about the DXA-5D!

Yes but the Zoom manages to do all that and be a recorder and have built in mics for the same price...all without the noise problem.

Yeah they're a bigger company, and are manufacturing more units and reaching a larger audience...but so what? They're giving us better hardware for the same price...so lets go with them. Sorry beachtek.

Martin Koch
11-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The high frequency pickup with AGC off if ridiculous. So this means you have go through the extra step of removing it in post. Really irritating that the solution of one problem introduces another one.

As far as I understand it the 18 to 20 kHz tone is only audible to your dog and to keep him sane a simple low pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 16-17 kHz will be sufficient.

ullanta
11-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes but the Zoom manages to do all that and be a recorder and have built in mics for the same price...all without the noise problem.

Yeah they're a bigger company, and are manufacturing more units and reaching a larger audience...but so what? They're giving us better hardware for the same price...so lets go with them. Sorry beachtek.

So? The zoom is a different device with a different purpose. I don't see the relation...? In any case, you're backpedaling... your complaint was that Beachtek was ripping people off by selling something comparable to its $99 units for $3000... and that's clearly not the case.

slinks
11-26-2009, 11:43 PM
well whatever the case....

the beachtek to me doesn't seem to completely stop AGC.

in the video larrys posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUd-j8vc8c

you'll notice AGC is still slightly present even with the beachtek AGC mode "off".
when he goes silent you hear the backround noise slightly rise along with that annoying tone.

Beachtek makes great products and some people love this product but thats one of the reasons I went to the zoom. Also I like messing around with music and the multi-track recording on the zoom is fun. The ability to bounce tracks on it is pretty nice.

Ben_B
11-26-2009, 11:49 PM
The Zoom is a different device that can be used for nearly exactly the same purpose...getting your audio on your SLR to not sound like crap, albeit in a different way (dual system.) But it has just as much tech in it and then some!

As for my other statements:

Beachtek has managed to charge $100 for their other niche products with, admittedly, slightly less tech in them than this one...so why now do they have to charge $300 for their new niche product (with somewhat more tech in it) especially given how popular these cameras are right now (for a niche.)

I pointed out that the things have more technology in them. My point was that if they managed to charge quite a reasonable price for XLR interfaces for cameras in the past (with fewer features) and still presumably managed to make a profit despite the very limited niche they were appealing to, then why can't they price their other products competitively (their 5D XLR interface) compared to audio recorders like the zoom (the answer of probably being that they are a much smaller company and going after a niche) that have all of the features of their interface, plus recording. Now I seemed to answer my own question there, but my point is that if the company managed to last this long making niche products for things like the GL2 then they should probably be aware of things like the zoom and be actively trying to bring their existing line's prices down...which was what I mentioned in my first post in the thread.

I then went on to say that, regardless of how much it costs to make, the beachtek adapter is probably not (in my opinion) competitive at its current price point...and that sucks for beachtek, but it's the truth. I wish them luck.