PDA

View Full Version : The Charl(Y)ie Factor...A Joystick Films Production.

Pages : [1] 2

Richard J. Johnson
11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
THE CHARL(y)IE FACTOR

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2093

Tagline: Know your facts.

Synopsis: Some very bad people do some very bad things
and everyone has a very bad day.
Directed by: Richard Johnson
Produced by: Richard Johnson
Shot and Spliced by: Richard Johnson
Written by: Richard Johnson
Assistant Director: Michael Davis
Boom and Sound: Mark Jenifer
B Camera (t2i) Operator: Al Morgan
Music composed by: Francesco De Leonardis
poster by: Rodney V Smith

Jace Nicole as "Charlie"
Paulie Wiedecker as "Clean"
Michael Alban as "Chris"

Richard J. Johnson
11-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Cast List.

Jace Nicole "Charlie"
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2098

Paulie Wiedecker "Clean"
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2101

Michael Alban "Chris"
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2097

Richard J. Johnson
11-23-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2744
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2743
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2741

Richard J. Johnson
11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
11/30/09: Location is secured for our first day of shooting on Decemeber 6th. Doing a few final tweaks on the script and adding a few money shots for the first reaveal. Still have to buy a birthday cake, sand colored stockings that come in that egg thing (don't ask) and get the ID badge made for our female lead. BTS photos coming.

my first ever podcast.

Rodney V. Smith
11-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Welcome back friend. Now about that poster to show off your badassedness...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Good luck! Sounds like you are ahead of the pack.

ramsaur
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Good Luck! Wasn't your last film for loss fest?

Richard J. Johnson
11-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Good Luck! Wasn't your last film for loss fest?

I tried to get a film done for lossfest but what I wanted to do simply cost too much money. But I'm ready for this one:costumed-smiley-047

Richard J. Johnson
11-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Welcome back friend. Now about that poster to show off your badassedness...

And it is one baddass poster indeed. I'm gonna get the lead actor up over the weekend and snap a few pics of her and get them to you. Greenscreen or white BG?

Richard J. Johnson
11-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Good luck! Sounds like you are ahead of the pack.

Thank you sir. I'm hoping you jump in as well. You are one of best here.

ramsaur
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I tried to get a film done for lossfest but what I wanted to do simply cost too much money. But I'm ready for this one:costumed-smiley-047

So what was the Puppeteer? That's what I was referring to.

Richard J. Johnson
11-24-2009, 04:10 PM
So what was the Puppeteer? That's what I was referring to.

The puppeteer was shot and did very well in the fest. Check it out. Click the banner. If it's not working go to vimeo.com and type the puppeteer Richard Johnson in the search bar.

pborghee
11-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Richard, awesome poster and looks very interesting. Cant wait to see some more info about it. Good luck and hope all goes well.

Jason Ramsey
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
And, the race begins for best poster :) Nice one.

Good luck.

later,
jason

Tom Marshall
11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Yo Rich, good luck dude. :beer:

Sprocketboy
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Richard, I was wondering when you were going to step back in. Great poster design.

Richard J. Johnson
11-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Richard, I was wondering when you were going to step back in. Great poster design.

So was I:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG). But it's on like popcorn this time around. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things. Considering there are filmmakers like you around here I need to bring it.:kali:

Richard J. Johnson
11-25-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks Jason. That Um..poster...took ME, ME and Only ME hours to put together. and I changed my name to Rodney Smith temporarily to do it.:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

THANKS TOM MARSHALL!!

And, the race begins for best poster :) Nice one.

Good luck.

later,
jason

Marlon Ladd
11-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Diggin' the poster, Rich! Diggin' it!!

Richard J. Johnson
11-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Diggin' the poster, Rich! Diggin' it!!

Thank you sir. Considering yours was my favorite of last fest that is great to hear. I'm telling you Rodney is some kind of poster making-mind reading-uber being.:shocked:

Richard J. Johnson
11-25-2009, 07:58 AM
A few cast pics are up. Only need one more to get this thing going.

dsto
11-25-2009, 08:08 AM
You got the leg up on everyone it seems! Nice!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Nice poster, Rodney! Very slick.

MAH

Richard J. Johnson
11-25-2009, 08:18 AM
You got the leg up on everyone it seems! Nice!

I'm excited and I'm getting this done before Christmas. I Made too many excuses not to shoot the last few fests (feature films, coporate work, Etc.) Even though I was crazy busy I still could have shot something. so I'm pumping myself up to go in and go in hard and produce a quality product for the fest. :kali:I'm READY DAMMIT!!!!!

pborghee
11-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Have a good thanksgiving. Eat some for me!

Richard J. Johnson
11-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Have a good thanksgiving. Eat some for me!

same to you. I have eaten enough for everyone on this thread today.:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Rodney V. Smith
11-27-2009, 03:35 PM
So you got shoot dates locked down yet?

Richard J. Johnson
11-28-2009, 05:29 AM
So you got shoot dates locked down yet?

Yessir. December 6th, December 11th, December 12th. A 3 day shoot. We have to guerilla the parking garage scene so we are scouting them today to find a grimy spot with no cameras.:evil:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Sweet. December screen grabs!

And just before Christmas too. :)

Rodney V. Smith
11-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Damn that is an early start. Nice!

Richard J. Johnson
11-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Sweet. December screen grabs!

And just before Christmas too. :)
:thumbsup: I don't know about those grabs BUT I can give ya some good ol BTS. Photos:D

Richard J. Johnson
11-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Damn that is an early start. Nice!

I'm trying to get it done nice and early without sacrificing quality of course. I always wait until the last minute to get the fest films done and I don't want to do that this time. I want to shoot, edit, have plenty of time for the score, grading and any other fixes I may need.

Richard J. Johnson
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
My first ever podcast is up on page one. Inspired by the Rodney V. Smith film threads.:grin: Starring my daughter.

Rodney V. Smith
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
No fair! You get to use your daughter and bring the cuteness! All you guys are gonna see is my ugly mug. So you gonna keep doing this? Let us meet the actors and everything as you go into production?

Richard J. Johnson
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
No fair! You get to use your daughter and bring the cuteness! All you guys are gonna see is my ugly mug. So you gonna keep doing this? Let us meet the actors and everything as you go into production?

LOL. I'm tyring to use the cute thing and you are putting me on front street.:grin: I like doing them. I will do another on Sunday with the actors. I have no idea what I'm doing so as long as you keep doing them I will know exactly what to do.:beer: And from here on out they will be known as RODCASTS. I'm watching you Rodney Smith, I'm watching.:Drogar-Smoke(DBG):

Rodney V. Smith
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm not scheduled for production until Jan/Feb so I'm taking a leisurely pace with mine up until the week of production. Right now I'm planning to put out one per week until production kicks off...

Richard J. Johnson
11-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not scheduled for production until Jan/Feb so I'm taking a leisurely pace with mine up until the week of production. Right now I'm planning to put out one per week until production kicks off...

Very cool. That is right around the corner and I'm sure you will kill it. I really thought it was going to be crimefest so I was already getting things together. But Betrayal worked for my script as well and I had so much done already so I'm rolling early. I will do a few Podcasts as well. I like doing them.

RodThompson
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Well...that poster just won...

Marlon Ladd
12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm trying to get it done nice and early without sacrificing quality of course. I always wait until the last minute to get the fest films done and I don't want to do that this time. I want to shoot, edit, have plenty of time for the score, grading and any other fixes I may need.
That's definitely the way to go. This way you don't even have to rush and will have plenty of time for reshoots and what have you. It's about to jump off up in here.

Richard J. Johnson
12-04-2009, 01:43 AM
That's definitely the way to go. This way you don't even have to rush and will have plenty of time for reshoots and what have you. It's about to jump off up in here.

I think this is going to be a good fest.

After really reading some of the Posts by Zak And JDS and the repsonses to those posts about how to approach the film where twist endings can be hard to pull off convincingly due to the theme, I made a few changes and re-worked the ending because if you are going to big reveal then it has to be BIG. Not "Oh I saw that coming a mile away"

My film won't be hard to figure out. The audience can pretty much do that within the first minute but I want to convey tension throughout and make a good film to watch. Will I be able to pull it off? Don't know yet but that's what the boards are for:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

dsto
12-04-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm with you. I was discussing this with my wife the other day after reading those same posts. The suprises will be few, I think. I'm doing the same, re-writing and re-writing to get the meat of what these people are going through down. You'll see it coming...but can I keep you interested anyways? Good luck to you!

jasonthewho
12-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Nice poster and cast! Looking forward to it...

Richard J. Johnson
12-04-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm with you. I was discussing this with my wife the other day after reading those same posts. The suprises will be few, I think. I'm doing the same, re-writing and re-writing to get the meat of what these people are going through down. You'll see it coming...but can I keep you interested anyways? Good luck to you!

Cool. Because if we don't, the members will say something about it. *cough* Rodney :cheesy:

It just makes us better in the end. And I have no doubts you will entertain us.

Richard J. Johnson
12-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Nice poster and cast! Looking forward to it...

Thanks jason. I have not a short film in quite some time. I'm really going to have some fun with it.

Chris_Keaton
12-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Rodney can rock out a poster! Love the cast and the character names this looks like it'll be fun! I can't wait.

Richard J. Johnson
12-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Smith is dope, I have to agree. I hope you enjoy it. It's not as over-the-top as I usually go with everything but IN MY MIND it looks great.:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Rodney V. Smith
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
So what's the update dude? How go your dastardly plans?

Richard J. Johnson
12-07-2009, 04:29 AM
So what's the update dude? How go your dastardly plans?

First day of shooting was difficult as always. :undecidedBut we made it through with some good footage. One Thing I know for sure, I suck at lighting. I really need to learn more about it. I just don't get it. I will post some BTS pics later today.

ZazaCast
12-07-2009, 05:35 AM
BEST podcast! EVER. Your daughter is just a beauty...she stole the show.

MERCURY
12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
100% Kylie definitely has got the it factor. peace.

Marlon Ladd
12-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Dang, man, you're moving right along.

jasonthewho
12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Looking forward to some BTS shots. Any chance of some grabs?

Rodney V. Smith
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
You heard the man: give us some grabs.

Marlon Ladd
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Grabs, please.

MSpencer
12-12-2009, 10:30 AM
so when we gonna see a few grabs?

ZazaCast
12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Grabage?

dsto
12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Give it up! show the grabs!

Richard J. Johnson
12-15-2009, 04:18 AM
I Just got back on track. Life called and I had to pick it up. I will post a few uncorrected grabs and some BTS photos when I get home. Looks like we will be shooting the other half after Christmas. The location we are going to use will not be ready until then. I have plenty of time to get things right.

Richard J. Johnson
12-15-2009, 04:21 AM
I'm quitting smoking. DAY 2. Stopped Drinking and I'm dieting and back in the gym heavy so My mind is complete mush right now. Those damn cigarettes are the WORST thing you could do to yourself.

Richard J. Johnson
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is some quick and VERY dirty grabbage. No real CC just playing around with Colorista. Not really too much to show on day one. But we are rolling.

Sorry about the stretch. I can't seem to get FCP to export to JPEG any other way.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2189

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2190

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2191

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2192

Scott F
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey man, lets see some grabs....oh wait, I'm late.

Nice job, you're an inspiration to us all.

I have issues when I export HDV jpegs. I just eyeball it and squish down the image in Photoshop.

Richard J. Johnson
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey man, lets see some grabs....oh wait, I'm late.

Nice job, you're an inspiration to us all.

I have issues when I export HDV jpegs. I just eyeball it and squish down the image in Photoshop.

I am soooooo Bad at photoshop it aint even funny.

Richard J. Johnson
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Some BTS Pics. Very basic set up. 90% of this scene will only be seen via CC Television.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2199
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2195
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2194
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2198
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2196

Richard J. Johnson
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Podcast Number #2. Day one complete.

jasonthewho
12-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Good luck quitting smoking. Your kids are adorable.

If you go in Photoshop and change the image size to 1280X720, that should make the proportions correct.

Richard J. Johnson
12-16-2009, 02:24 AM
Good luck quitting smoking. Your kids are adorable.

If you go in Photoshop and change the image size to 1280X720, that should make the proportions correct.

Thank you. Day 3! I have never made it this far. Kyleigh and Keaton are a handful but it's fun.

I think a can at least change the size in photo shop. I still can't figure out how to get those clean HD grabs like you guys do. My grabs are always grainy and footage is super clean.

Scott F
12-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I am LMAO at the Nick Jr. in the background. 4 months ago I wouldn't have recognized it, but now it's on all the time in our house.

Richard J. Johnson
12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
I am LMAO at the Nick Jr. in the background. 4 months ago I wouldn't have recognized it, but now it's on all the time in our house.

LOL. We watch Spongebob at least 3 times a day and now I find it hilarious. That little green thing that's always trying to steal the recipe for Crabby Patties kills me. I'm such a parent.

Luis_
12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow man! great job, you are so ahead of the game.
Love your podcasts! and your not alone, I know every episode of:
Miley,
Sponge Bob,
Hanna Montana,
Dora,
Blue's Clues,
and the list goes on and on!
Oh wait here's the best part!
not more than a few minutes of editing go by when my 4-1/2 year old pauses the DVR box to ask me if I can buy her that! There are just too many toy commercials:Drogar-Angry(DBG):

by the way, check your footage...
I think there's a hot spot on this guy's forehead! :D

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=2199

Richard J. Johnson
12-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Wow man! great job, you are so ahead of the game.
Love your podcasts! and your not alone, I know every episode of:
Miley,
Sponge Bob,
Hanna Montana,
Dora,
Blue's Clues,
and the list goes on and on!
Oh wait here's the best part!
not more than a few minutes of editing go by when my 4-1/2 year old pauses the DVR box to ask me if I can buy her that! There are just too many toy commercials:Drogar-Angry(DBG):

by the way, check your footage...
I think there's a hot spot on this guy's forehead! :D

That shot is actually a screen grab.:Drogar-Happy(DBG):

That is Hilarious, Luckily my daughter does not know how to work the DVR but she does the same thing she just yells "Daddy, look, buy me that!" and if I don't look she grabs me by my cheeks and turns my head towards the TV.

MSpencer
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Fresh Beat Band... On tv.. Yeah i know my son's tv programs too. HAHAHA..

Looks like you're doing good. But what is that bright light in the center of the room. Looks like a bulb on a boom pole?

Luis_
12-17-2009, 07:57 PM
That shot is actually a screen grab.:Drogar-Happy(DBG):
I know I was just kidding about the screen shot :D

That is Hilarious, Luckily my daughter does not know how to work the DVR but she does the same thing she just yells "Daddy, look, buy me that!" and if I don't look she grabs me by my cheeks and turns my head towards the TV.

LOL!!! yeah I still get a few of those every once in a while. lol....
These kids are amazing!
gotta love em!
Just today I stepped out for a moment and ended up a nice and shinny one of these!
this is horrible, a sponge makes more money than I do! lol...
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk157/lcosme00/bubbleBob.jpg

LOL...

Go figure!!!

Anyways.....
looking forward to your movie, keep them podcasts coming!

later!

Rodney V. Smith
12-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Just caught up. Dunno how I missed the second podcast. Damn! I'm falling behind on mine.
Glad you finished day one and are taking some time in between to finish up. I know the kids have got to be a HUGE handful. Total cuteness in your house there.

I better get my ass in gear now...

Richard J. Johnson
12-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Fresh Beat Band... On tv.. Yeah i know my son's tv programs too. HAHAHA..

Looks like you're doing good. But what is that bright light in the center of the room. Looks like a bulb on a boom pole?

The Fresh Beat Band scares me. All they do is smile, sing and dance like some sort of happy cult.

The light was just to soften things a little. it was taped to a ceiling fan. It won't be on camera. I'm not crazy:cheesy:

Richard J. Johnson
12-18-2009, 05:26 AM
LOL. That pic is great. You better hope Terry does not Caption you, like he did with my stalker a few months back. And I pray to all that is holy, that you aint bathing with that.:shocked:

And sponge makes more than all of us. ME SAD.:cry:

I know I was just kidding about the screen shot :D

LOL!!! yeah I still get a few of those every once in a while. lol....
These kids are amazing!
gotta love em!
Just today I stepped out for a moment and ended up a nice and shinny one of these!
this is horrible, a sponge makes more money than I do! lol...
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk157/lcosme00/bubbleBob.jpg

LOL...

Go figure!!!

Anyways.....
looking forward to your movie, keep them podcasts coming!

later!

Richard J. Johnson
12-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Just caught up. Dunno how I missed the second podcast. Damn! I'm falling behind on mine.
Glad you finished day one and are taking some time in between to finish up. I know the kids have got to be a HUGE handful. Total cuteness in your house there.

I better get my ass in gear now...

Get your ass in gear and have some kids then! (pun intended):cheesy: I paid like $20 to take kyleigh to see "The Princess and The Frog" yesterday and like 30 minutes into it I hear a noise and look over and her little butt is snoring with slobber coming out her mouth. I just let her sleep and enjoyed the movie.

ZazaCast
12-19-2009, 11:54 PM
I paid like $20 to take kyleigh to see "The Princess and The Frog" yesterday and like 30 minutes into it I hear a noise and look over and her little butt is snoring with slobber coming out her mouth. I just let her sleep and enjoyed the movie.

Ahh yes... kids.... enjoy the young years while you can cause you're going to be in for some REAL fun once they hit 16ish.

My youngest is just 16...drives now...and has a thug of a boyfriend that's going to be turning 19! I've been cleaning my shotguns everytime he come over. He walked in the other day and I tossed him a shotgun shell, he caught it and said, "what's up?". I then told him if he ever screwed with my daughter, the next one would be coming at him MUCH faster! The look on his face was priceless.:shocked:

.... I truely believe he took the hint.

Richard J. Johnson
12-21-2009, 04:24 AM
That is effing HILARIOUS!! I'm one of those parents that's scared of everything when it comes to my kids. I can't even think about her driving, let alone having a boyfriend. Because when I was 19 I only wanted one thing when it came to girls and it damn sure wasn't friendly night out at the mall. I know it's coming, but just like you said. I'm gonna enjoy these Barbie years.:love4:

Ahh yes... kids.... enjoy the young years while you can cause you're going to be in for some REAL fun once they hit 16ish.

My youngest is just 16...drives now...and has a thug of a boyfriend that's going to be turning 19! I've been cleaning my shotguns everytime he come over. He walked in the other day and I tossed him a shotgun shell, he caught it and said, "what's up?". I then told him if he ever screwed with my daughter, the next one would be coming at him MUCH faster! The look on his face was priceless.:shocked:

MSpencer
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
He walked in the other day and I tossed him a shotgun shell, he caught it and said, "what's up?". I then told him if he ever screwed with my daughter, the next one would be coming at him MUCH faster! The look on his face was priceless.:shocked:

That's awesome right there. I love the whole we're talking parenting on here. HAHA thanks for the good chuckle Zaza

Richard J. Johnson
12-22-2009, 02:13 AM
I want my little girl to stay little forever. FOREVER!! I'm gonna get with Rodney and develop a serum!

GoodLuck
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
very cool poster!

Richard J. Johnson
12-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks, that's Rodney right there. I just hope my film will look as good.:shocked:

Noel Evans
12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Damn, Richard. You're so far ahead of me.

Just watched PC2 and I felt like I was looking at myself in a mirror. Not in appearance, but my two girls would have to be almost exact same age as yours and behave in much the same way as yours.... scary, but at least Im not alone!! Good luck!

Richard J. Johnson
01-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Damn, Richard. You're so far ahead of me.

Just watched PC2 and I felt like I was looking at myself in a mirror. Not in appearance, but my two girls would have to be almost exact same age as yours and behave in much the same way as yours.... scary, but at least Im not alone!! Good luck!

LOL. No my friend, you are not alone.:beer:

Charli
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Anything with my name on it, well, dang, I'm gonna so watch it! Good luck!

Richard J. Johnson
01-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Lol. thanks Charli!

ZazaCast
01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Any good updates for us today?

Richard J. Johnson
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Any good updates for us today?

Well, I switched to the 7D and I am shooting like crazy so I can get a good image so I can finish this thing. The whole dynamic changed...but I think it's for the better.:happy:
shooting with the 7D is a totally different monster. I'm ordering my ZaZa slider on Monday as well. I need another pod cast.:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

ZazaCast
01-14-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm ordering my ZaZa slider on Monday as well.

Yeah Baby! :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Marlon Ladd
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Hey, Rich. How much shooting do you have left to do? I thought you were done.

Richard J. Johnson
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey, Rich. How much shooting do you have left to do? I thought you were done.

Not done. Finishing up this Friday. I totally re-imagined the entire script. The original, I read over and over and I began to hate it, So I just simplified it and basically wrote something much more personal without all of the fluff. So it's going down on the 5th, plus it gives me a great opportunity to test out my new 7D setup. We'll see.:kali:

Charli
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Rich - hope the script is okay, try not to second guess yourself because then you will doubt everything. Good luck.

ZazaCast
01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Can't wait to see some of that ZazaSlider action!

Richard J. Johnson
02-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Can't wait to see some of that ZazaSlider action!

oh you will.:cheesy:

Richard J. Johnson
02-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Rich - hope the script is okay, try not to second guess yourself because then you will doubt everything. Good luck.

I guess hate was the wrong word. The script was pretty good but it was more of the same for me. I guess I hated the familiarity of the short films that I write. I just wanted to step out of my comfort zone and try something a little more up close and personal. Same idea new approach.

There was discussion somwhere on the boards about grabbing the low hanging fruit for this fest and I just don't want to do that.

Now if it sucks, I'm hiring you as my personal shrink.:Drogar-SunGlass(DBG

Richard J. Johnson
02-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Damn snow storm! Now I have to cancel my Friday shoot. I'm going to be cutting this one real close.

Richard J. Johnson
02-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Well, We are shooting on the 28th, I then have to edit it on the 1st, then get it to FDl for the score that same night, then he has to get it back to me by the 3rd. Then upload on the 4th I believe.
I'm going down to the minute with this one.

I usually get things done waaaay early. This time there was so much preventing me from getting it done. Mainly because my kids were very sick, Then I got sick, Then I switched cameras after shooting some of it, and when everything was good to go, 2 blizzards came through and shut down both days of shooting on different weekends. now the pressure is on and I can't wait until grind time. It may not be perfect but It's getting done.

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2010, 05:34 AM
I think if the film is dialogue oriented you should be good to go. As long as you don't have alot of action you have to tweak, you should have time. I've been hearing about all the snow on the east coast. So crazy!

Richard J. Johnson
02-19-2010, 05:52 AM
I think if the film is dialogue oriented you should be good to go. As long as you don't have alot of action you have to tweak, you should have time. I've been hearing about all the snow on the east coast. So crazy!

Snow is nuts here and everybody is effing sick.

It's only dialogue, no real action scenes. I should be okay. But we'll see. I really wanted to shoot this Sunday but My lead will be in NY.

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Damn, Rich. There's so many people this go round having issues. I don't know what it is. I'm hoping to get maybe 2 entries in this time. Got one that is finished, but I'm really more interested in this other one I'm working on. Supposed to film Tues. Last minute deal.

chriscurl
02-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Well, We are shooting on the 28th, I then have to edit it on the 1st, then get it to FDl for the score that same night, then he has to get it back to me by the 3rd. Then upload on the 4th I believe.
I'm going down to the minute with this one.

That's pretty hardcore, good luck!

Richard J. Johnson
02-19-2010, 06:38 AM
That's pretty hardcore, good luck!

Thanks Chris. I will need it, that's for damn sure.

Richard J. Johnson
02-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Damn, Rich. There's so many people this go round having issues. I don't know what it is. I'm hoping to get maybe 2 entries in this time. Got one that is finished, but I'm really more interested in this other one I'm working on. Supposed to film Tues. Last minute deal.

That is dope. You know you are always on my first watch list. along with Rodney, jasonthewho, Horrigan, ZaZa and a few others whom I like and respect.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

This film is very simple and hopefully effective. It won't be for everyone. That I can guarantee.

Luis_
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
That is dope. You know you are always on my first watch list. along with Rodney, jasonthewho, Horrigan, ZaZa and a few others whom I like and respect.

This film is very simple and hopefully effective. It won't be for everyone. That I can guarantee.

I thought I was the only one under extreme circumstances! lol...

I just called my friend and told him I have to make a movie today... lol...
He started laughing. He thought I was playing. I'm recording something today with someone! who knows who or what I'm recording but I'm making a movie! lol...

Good luck with yours... timing is definitely tight.:2vrolijk_08:

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM

I feel the same way about your films. Still waiting to peep Razorblade City.

The film that I want to shoot on Tues. is much the same way. Simple. A good story. I just want to focus on the story and just shoot it well. The forecast right now is not cooperating, but we're filming it, do or die!

I thought I was the only one under extreme circumstances! lol...

I just called my friend and told him I have to make a movie today... lol...
He started laughing. He thought I was playing. I'm recording something today with someone! who knows who or what I'm recording but I'm making a movie! lol...

Good luck with yours... timing is definitely tight.:2vrolijk_08:
Do it, Luis!! We all continue to be plagued with the same issues of money, time, people and locations. Money would fix alot of those issues, but that's what makes us different. It's what makes us "indie." Shoot something, man, I don't care what it is. LOL.

I think we should have a collaboration fest where teams of filmmakers pool their resources together and make a film. Not like it is now, but actually have a number of teams with 4 or so filmmakers to each team and all the teams meet in a designated location and make it happen. That would make it so much easier for all of us and imagine what the heck we could come up with.

Richard J. Johnson
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Luis. Get it done! We can do it.
Marlon, you know if you lived closer, it would be on.

Marlon Ladd
02-19-2010, 02:33 PM
You already know!

Richard J. Johnson
02-22-2010, 05:32 AM
The deadline Approaches. Can't wait to finally shoot this thing. I only have 3 days to get it right but I'm all over it. It's also going to be my first shoot with the 7D and the Zoom H4n. I have been practicing like crazy but it's never the same on set.

Richard J. Johnson
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I have had 2 shoots cancelled because of weather. And we are scheduled to shoot tonite for some outside scenes at our local red light district and I check the weather and It is supposed to effing snow again! WTF??!! I can't catch a break.:nads:

seanmcleod
02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
shoot in the snow dude! It looks amazing and will add some nice atmosphere! Start making a custom rain cape for your 7D now!!!

Rodney V. Smith
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
he's right dude: shoot in tthe snow! its awesome (and cold) for visuals. I was praying for snow for my shoot on monday ad you have some so use it.

Richard J. Johnson
02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
shoot in the snow dude! It looks amazing and will add some nice atmosphere! Start making a custom rain cape for your 7D now!!!

Dammit It's going down no matter Mother Nature throws at me. I just have to have my AD to hold an Ubrella over me or something. The Rain Cape is already in the planning phases. going to try some stuff out when I get home.

Snow falling would look pretty cool though. Just driving 30 miles to get there while it's snowing is a nightmare. :kali:

Rodney V. Smith
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Dont complain about travelling, just get there. 30 miles is nothing. I flew from Toronto to NY to shoot mine, and my crew drove 4 hours up from Baltimore. So get out there and shoot!

Richard J. Johnson
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
he's right dude: shoot in tthe snow! its awesome (and cold) for visuals. I was praying for snow for my shoot on monday ad you have some so use it.

Now I don't feel so bad about it.

Richard J. Johnson
02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Dont complain about travelling, just get there. 30 miles is nothing. I flew from Toronto to NY to shoot mine, and my crew drove 4 hours up from Baltimore. So get out there and shoot!

Damn you Rodney and words of precise wisdom. :cheesy:

I need to hear it.

FDL film music composer
02-24-2010, 10:23 AM

unstoppable man:happy:

Richard J. Johnson
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Just tested all of my gear. I have my raincover bootlegged up and I'm ready. I want to shoot something badly! Its like crack. Not that I know what crack tastes like.....okay once in college. : )

Rodney V. Smith
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
If I didnt have to spend the rest of the week olishing sound and VFX, I;d almost want to shoot something else... shooting IS my crack..

Richard J. Johnson
02-24-2010, 01:04 PM
If I didnt have to spend the rest of the week olishing sound and VFX, I;d almost want to shoot something else... shooting IS my crack..

Absolutely. And your approach to film making is something that I'm really trying to mimic. When you go in, YOU GO IN and everyone can tell you are in love with it.

ZazaCast
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
When you go in, YOU GO IN and everyone can tell you are in love with it.

...or just plain crazy!:shocked:

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 03:30 AM
^lol!

Shoot went well last night. It was my first time using the 7D on set and it worked out pretty well. The form factor IS a total pain the A$$, But I will get used to it. I really love the size of the 7D, I was moving around so easy and discreet.

We were gonna shoot in the Red Light District but my parents could not baby sit and I had both of my kids with me. and there was no way I was taking my babies to the Red Light district. Not until my son turns 18 anyway.

New Grabbage coming today.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-25-2010, 05:48 AM
Sweet! Looking forward to the grabbage! :)

Marlon Ladd
02-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Bring 'em on!!!!

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Sweet! Looking forward to the grabbage! :)

I'm about to dump the footage in a few hours I'm actually curious myself to see how it came out.:Drogar-Shock(DBG):
I just need to figure out how to get the grabs to export at full res and not squeeze. It drives me crazy.

jasonthewho
02-25-2010, 05:53 AM
I just need to figure out how to get the grabs to export at full res and not squeeze. It drives me crazy.

I don't think that's possible. I think you have to resize them in photoshop.

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't think that's possible. I think you have to resize them in photoshop.

wow. I was just reading a post you wrote on this thread about changing the size to 1280x720 in photoshop. I see some grabs here that look amazing and mine always look like crap but the footage looks fine.

Marlon Ladd
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
When you think you'll have your grabs up?

ZazaCast
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
^What he said....Grabbage?

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
^and here ya go. some low rez un-cc'd Grabbage.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2742
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2741
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2744

Marlon Ladd
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Look atcha' boa'! Those are sa-weet! Diggin' the DOF car shot. . .oh, and the actress. Nice.

Scott F
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
^lol!

Shoot went well last night. It was my first time using the 7D on set and it worked out pretty well.

You make it look good, man.

I should be getting my T2i tomorrow. Can't wait to get in on this DSLR technology.

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 01:57 PM
You make it look good, man.

I should be getting my T2i tomorrow. Can't wait to get in on this DSLR technology.

Thanks man. They are a little tricky. I have no idea how this thing is gonna turn out yet. the white balance is messing with me right now. I also had some Moire pop up on me but I think I can work with it. Please let me know how you like yours.

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Look atcha' boa'! Those are sa-weet! Diggin' the DOF car shot. . .oh, and the actress. Nice.

Thank you sir. This DSLR thing is gonna take some getting used to. I use Jace in everything, She is just amazing in every way. Great person to the core. We are learning this film thing together.

Sunday is gonna be the real test.
I know a few creative choices on this one are gonna turn some people off but I'm gonna roll with my gut and welcome the comments.

If I can pull it off the way it is in my head, I think you'll dig it.

ZazaCast
02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Very nice! Looks like you adapted quickly to the 7D. Beautiful actress, beautiful shots.
Looking forward to this one.

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Very nice! Looks like you adapted quickly to the 7D. Beautiful actress, beautiful shots.
Looking forward to this one.

Very cool. I really hope you dig it. It's such a simple film. I'm used to guns, blood and profanity. this film has none of that.:cry:

Marlon Ladd
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
That's the trick. Trying to pull it off like you envision it. You always come up with creative stuff though.

jasonthewho
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice grabs! Really like the first one.

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Nice grabs! Really like the first one.

Thanks Jason!

ZazaCast
02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Very cool. I really hope you dig it. It's such a simple film. I'm used to guns, blood and profanity. this film has none of that.:cry:

My film is very different too. Sometimes less is more.
I'm looking forward to your film...and as long as you have a few slider shots in there...I'm sure it will be fine!:happy:

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
My film is very different too. Sometimes less is more.
I'm looking forward to your film...and as long as you have a few slider shots in there...I'm sure it will be fine!:happy:

The Slider will definitely be in full effect!

There are a few shots where I need it. Every thing else is static.

Scott F
02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
TPlease let me know how you like yours.

I've been lurking in the DSLR section for quite a while now, maybe I'll get to post some test footage soon.

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 07:55 PM
^very cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
I'm really seeing that these DSLR's are much different than a video camera. That damn moire will get cha. I'm buying a few caprock's next week.

Scott F
02-25-2010, 08:31 PM
The best was right before the 7D dropped, someone posted, "expect to see lots of test footage of pets & babies"

So on that note....I'll probably be chasing our pugs around the house.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
My favourite.

Nice shot!

MAH

Rodney V. Smith
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
DUDE!!! Nice looking shots. You done good son. Did you get all of the shots you needed then?

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks! I just hope you like the final product. Sunday is the final day and it's gonna be a long one.

DUDE!!! Nice looking shots. You done good son. Did you get all of the shots you needed then?

Richard J. Johnson
02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks MAH! I'm really trying to work on my framing this time around. I love hand held but almost all of this film is static. I'm stepping away from everything I'm used to.

You, rodney, za, Mark Harris, Marlon and jasonthewho are some of my favs and I draw inspiration from the work.

My favourite.

Nice shot!

MAH

ZazaCast
02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
This is turnig out to be an exciting fest...can't WAIT to see this one...I have a feeling...
just from the grabs, it's going to rock!

Nemesis TS
02-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Those shots look great, especially that they are so low light. Seems like EVERYTHING went PERFECT after all. Good for you man. I can't wait to see what you did with this camera, so far so good.

Richard J. Johnson
02-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Those shots look great, especially that they are so low light. Seems like EVERYTHING went PERFECT after all. Good for you man. I can't wait to see what you did with this camera, so far so good.

Thank you sir. So far so good. Sunday is going to be the real test for me. The Dual system Audio Scares the crap out of me.

I also see that Neat Video for cleaning up noise is gonna be a must when using this cam. I had the ISO at it's highest on some of the Slomo driving scenes and it was noisy as hell as expected, But Neat cleaned ALL of that noise up outta there.

Your film looks dope. and It will be one of the first I watch. Some of the production on the films is just amazing and tells me I really need step up my game.

namelok
02-26-2010, 06:14 AM
girl looks a lot like Tory from BSG :)

Richard J. Johnson
02-26-2010, 06:59 AM
What is BSG? Or do I want to know?:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

namelok
02-26-2010, 07:12 AM
battlestar galactica :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eJt1GVEvqHo/SW-yDJIJ2oI/AAAAAAAABP8/BUjPM-p6ILY/s400/Anders-Tyrol-Tigh-Tory_l.jpg

Didn't mean anything bad by it :)

Richard J. Johnson
02-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, She does look like Jace. The Original BSG was my one of my favs as kid.

Marlon Ladd
02-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I didn't know what BSG was either. LOL. But the original was one of my favorites too.

namelok
02-26-2010, 10:08 AM
bunch of old guys :)

Marlon Ladd
02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
bunch of old guys :)
I know. WTH?? LOL.

Richard J. Johnson
02-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Lol. Its a beautiful thing. It's going by so slow for me.

Richard J. Johnson
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Tomorrow is the day! Going to take 5 hours to convert, but I can still make the deadline. I can't wait to finish this thing. I love making movies.

Rodney V. Smith
02-27-2010, 03:42 PM
So what you doing tonight? still editing?

Richard J. Johnson
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
So what you doing tonight? still editing?

Yeah still editing. Trying to make it easier for tomorrow.

Richard J. Johnson
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Edited and sent off for scoring! 48 Hours of non-stop work. Sleeping an hour at a time. But it got done. It is strange one. Definitely not what I'm used to doing.

Marlon Ladd
03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Good job, Rich. I'm trying to get mine knocked out too.

Richard J. Johnson
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Thank you sir. I'm damn sure you will get it done. I need that to bless my eyeballs.

Marlon Ladd
03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Got a bunch of sound effects to add and an effect and that's it. It's right at 6 minutes and not one freakin' credit. The credits ain't gonna' make this one.

Richard J. Johnson
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Damn. Get that thing done! My film is like 4:53. There isn't a lot of dialogue. I had to Foley a bunch of stuff with the zoom today. That was a royal pain in the arse with my kids running around.

I was running the 7D A cam and a t2i doing some exterior shots at the same time with a second team, which proved interesting on set and in post.

Marlon Ladd
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
4:53??? What?? How did that make you feel? LOL! When I'd finished the first rough cut of mine it was 5 mins. That's the first time I've ever not had to chop it up to get it down to 6 minutes. Hell, I was in shock and asking myself if I'd made a real movie.

Rodney V. Smith
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I know this may sound weird, but if you have Adobe CS4 you have Media Encoder in there... have you ever tried converting the 7D footage to P2 Format and working from there? Justin Durban and myself found today working with P2 to be the easiest way to transport footage and it still gives great resolution to edit with...

I wonder if anyone has tried it...

Richard J. Johnson
03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I know this may sound weird, but if you have Adobe CS4 you have Media Encoder in there... have you ever tried converting the 7D footage to P2 Format and working from there? Justin Durban and myself found today working with P2 to be the easiest way to transport footage and it still gives great resolution to edit with...

I wonder if anyone has tried it...

I have tried it and it works fine. There was thread here somewhere and a few people stated that if you do that, heavy color correction causes artifacts and jaggies. Never really tested that theory though. I convert it all to Prores 422 but the only problem I have with that is, the version of Magic Bullet that I have does not does not work with the 422 footage. And that is probably a good thing. I got too dependent on that. Colorista is powerful and I need to get better at it.

Richard J. Johnson
03-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Just received score from FDL music composer and it is beautiful. It perfectly matches the tone of the film and he gave me exactly what I asked him for.

ZazaCast
03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Congrats! Looking forward to it.

Scott F
03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Edited and sent off for scoring! 48 Hours of non-stop work. Sleeping an hour at a time. But it got done. It is strange one. Definitely not what I'm used to doing.

Damn, you guys are hardcore!

I'm just playing around with a cool title sequence in After Effects. Glad we got 60mb now.

Richard J. Johnson
03-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Damn, you guys are hardcore!

I'm just playing around with a cool title sequence in After Effects. Glad we got 60mb now.

I don't even have title sequences.:undecided

Is the 60MB limit official now? I know jason said me may get it. If it is I'm going back in.

jasonthewho
03-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Yeah the 60mb is official.

Really looking forward to this Richard. Looks awesome.

Richard J. Johnson
03-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Yeah the 60mb is official.

Really looking forward to this Richard. Looks awesome.

Thanks for the conformation. I can squeeze out some more resolution.

I hope you like it. It definitely is not for everyone. Very odd film for me.

Richard J. Johnson
03-03-2010, 03:47 AM
4:53??? What?? How did that make you feel? LOL! When I'd finished the first rough cut of mine it was 5 mins. That's the first time I've ever not had to chop it up to get it down to 6 minutes. Hell, I was in shock and asking myself if I'd made a real movie.

I was in shock myself. But hell, my script was only 4 pages. The original script was 7 pages and I know I would of had to have break out the cut tool. Then I re-imagined the entire thing and got what I needed in 4 pages. It is a very simple film in terms of story and character. The thing that killed me were the render times. :badputer:

Chris Messineo
03-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I LOVE your poster. Who created it? It's awesome.

Beautiful stills and that pod cast with your daughter is priceless.

Richard J. Johnson
03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks chris! That's a Rodney creation right there.

I'm in the same boat as you with the length. My film is very short in terms of dialogue. And it is so simple. I'm way under 6 minutes.

Chris Messineo
03-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Props to Rodney then. It's super sweet.

Richard J. Johnson
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I will say thank you for him.:happy:

Now if my film could be as cool. I may have a chance.

Richard J. Johnson
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Uploaded! Don't know if the ADR will make it in time so I went for it. If it works in the mix I may have to replace it, if not I will let it play and deal with it. I'm just happy to be a part of it.

I'm so nervous about this film, it is just so far removed from what I'm used to. I hope the directors here that I admire can appreciate it, if I get their approval, I will be okay.

RodThompson
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Fortune Favors Boldness

Mike@AF
03-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Killer poster! Looking forward to seeing what the film is like.

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Killer poster! Looking forward to seeing what the film is like.

Thank you. My secret poster guy is amazing.:happy:

I can't wait until this thing opens.

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Fortune Favors Boldness

Nice quote.

We shall soon see.:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

vnguyen972
03-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Looking forward to seeing this one!

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Looking forward to seeing this one!

I hope you enjoy it.

pborghee
03-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Good luck Richard. Hope all goes well!

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Good luck Richard. Hope all goes well!

Thank you P! So do, I believe me.

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Well the ADR finally came in and It was great but I just did not have time to line it up. My kids have a party to go to and I promised I would take them so I will have to let it ride. There are only few spots I would have liked to sound better, but you just can't break a promise to a 5 year girl, I would NEVER hear the end of it.:furious3:

Now let's watch some movies!

totitefilms
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Very nice bokeh in the screenshots! The actress is beautiful also :)

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Very nice bokeh in the screenshots! The actress is beautiful also :)

Thank you. She looks better than most of my shots.:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

hoz
03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
looking forward to seeing your flick!! looks great!!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Thank you! And I, yours! I can't wait until viewing opens.

Tim Joy
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Great to see you sticking around. Looks good!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Thank you Tim, I enjoy the fests. I am sure what ever you have in store it will be creative.

Rodney V. Smith
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
So are you happy with how it turned out? I know you were having issues since it wasn;t the movie you set out to make, but overall are you happy with what you do have?

Marlon Ladd
03-06-2010, 10:50 AM
It's on!!!!!

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
03-06-2010, 11:01 AM
screen grabs look great and though it's been said already a bunch of times, that poster is really good... kudos to rodney on that one...

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
So are you happy with how it turned out? I know you were having issues since it wasn;t the movie you set out to make, but overall are you happy with what you do have?

I think I am happy with direction I took. On the technical side I made some mistakes mostly with audio. But after watching it a million times I'm comfortable with the creative road I chose to travel. Time to step out of my box, kind of.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
It's on!!!!!

Oh yeah!!!!!

But you have cool costumes and awesome guns!

Nemesis TS
03-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Thats cool that you were confident enough to step out of your comfort zone and expose your self to criticism. We should all try and do that once in a while.

Rodney V. Smith
03-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it. Glad you stuck around for the fests and I'm sure you;re going to rock this one too.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 11:11 AM
screen grabs look great and though it's been said already a bunch of times, that poster is really good... kudos to rodney on that one...

Thanks chris. Rodney is dope.

Matt Harris
03-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Richard i been checking out your thread for some time. great logo, great poster, great stills... im excited to see this. love the podcast!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Richard i been checking out your thread for some time. great logo, great poster, great stills... im excited to see this. love the podcast!

Thank you!!! I hope you like the film Def.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it. Glad you stuck around for the fests and I'm sure you;re going to rock this one too.

I love this place. Its like family now. I can't wait to check mirror mirror.

Nemesis TS
03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, I just watched your flick. First one. The images were great. I totally dug the side by side. There were a few edits on Chris I didn't care for, but the movie was really good. Picked up on some sound issues. Acting was well done.

My wife and I watched it together and I said, it was good right? She said yeah and he has a score. ouch. I have to watch it again to give any more in depth review. First impression: I dug it. So far so good. One down 40 something to go.

RodThompson
03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Seriously phenomenal work. The type of film that makes me both jealous and more zealous about honing my skills in this craft. The originality of the side/side was seriously cool...even to include two different leaders. KUDOS.

Story-wise, I loved the "hit man" twist, because not only was it original but because I have a hired killer fetish. I love'em!

I see this doing well in the long run.

And tell your actors that they did a phenomenal job!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 05:51 PM
WOW! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you Rod. seriously.

Seriously phenomenal work. The type of film that makes me both jealous and more zealous about honing my skills in this craft. The originality of the side/side was seriously cool...even to include two different leaders. KUDOS.

Story-wise, I loved the "hit man" twist, because not only was it original but because I have a hired killer fetish. I love'em!

I see this doing well in the long run.

And tell your actors that they did a phenomenal job!

Christopher Blake
03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Beautiful. I was in awe. Looked phenomenal. Enjoyed the split screen. Just can't get over how good it looked(read very jealous) :)

Great work.

RodThompson
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
When this is all said and done, I would love to pick your brain on a few tech aspects.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
When this is all said and done, I would love to pick your brain on a few tech aspects.

Dude anytime!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Beautiful. I was in awe. Looked phenomenal. Enjoyed the split screen. Just can't get over how good it looked(read very jealous) :)

Great work.

Thank you chris! your comments mean a lot!!

Marlon Ladd
03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Rich I'm out and about so don't know when I will be able to check it out but it will be one of the first ones I watch. Reviews are looking good.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
^you know I need your eyes on it.

GoodLuck
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey Richard, I really liked your short. It was the first one I watched and thought, wow! Very beautifully done and the acting was great. Had a very cinematic quality, would love to see more of your work in the future.

My only complaint is I don't know if there was enough time to care about the main character (guy). She seemed to not care for him (she wanted to leave and rolled her eyes at his comments) and when another character doesn't seem to care, I find it hard to care myself. So I ask you, why do you care about him, are we suppose to care? Maybe I missed a line and should watch it again. I like the last shot also. Great work overall!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey Richard, I really liked your short. It was the first one I watched and thought, wow! Very beautifully done and the acting was great. Had a very cinematic quality, would love to see more of your work in the future.

My only complaint is I don't know if there was enough time to care about the main character (guy). She seemed to not care for him (she wanted to leave and rolled her eyes at his comments) and when another character doesn't seem to care, I find it hard to care myself. So I ask you, why do you care about him, are we suppose to care? Maybe I missed a line and should watch it again. I like the last shot also. Great work overall!

Thanks for the comments. We were actually talking about that on set and I decided to remove a murder scene that would have really made the audience hate him. Things like that are what I really struggle with. I just don't see think about those things when I write these films but I really should.

I am really glad you enjoyed it though. And I so appreciate the critiques and compliments. It helps so much.

Chris Messineo
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
This was the first film I watched (and probably the only one I will get to tonight).

I totally dug the split screen. I thought it was really clever and I loved how it intertwined their stories. I felt like we got to know them emotionally in the first few shots and it made their one moment at the end together really resonate for me.

Congratulations on a great film.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks chris! Coming from you it means a lot man. I'm glad you could appreciate it. I wasn't sure about the screen thing, I went back and forth on it for weeks and just said what the hell, why not. Hopefully the audience will like it as much as you do.

Bigmagic
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Richard, this was the first one I watched, the look was off the hook man. Beautiful doesn't due it justice. Great acting and I am not referencing the dialog I mean the subtle things in the film. Very well done.

BTW: While watching the split screens I kept thinking " this is going to be two completely different conversations".

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Richard, this was the first one I watched, the look was off the hook man. Beautiful doesn't due it justice. Great acting and I am not referencing the dialog I mean the subtle things in the film. Very well done.

Thank you big!!!!! Awesome compliment. I am so happy you enoyed it man. I have yours downloaded and ready to watch tomorrow.

Marlon Ladd
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Yo, checked it out. Off the chain!! You stepped out on a limb and it worked. You really, really stepped up your game. I liked your style here and the dual shots - you made it work. The look was great and I liked your dolly shots and the lighting was right where it needed to be. You maybe could have had a little more lighting on the guy in the glasses outside (his eyes), but other than that, great job. You introduced something we haven't (or at least I haven't) seen here before and those are the types of films that make noise. Great job!!

MSpencer
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
you know what normally i hate movies with split screens but you pulled it off... and very well. like your shots matched up rather then them just kindof being split to just do it... i was kindof wondering about the random guy outside but then it made sense in two seconds.. i really liked the whole piece.

well done.. :)

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Marlon thanks for the compliments! You arr one of my favs here and coming from you it means a ton. I totally agree with the lighting outside, just a tad more to show his eyes would have been dope. but we were just winging out there because it was like 20 degrees.

Yo, checked it out. Off the chain!! You stepped out on a limb and it worked. You really, really stepped up your game. I liked your style here and the dual shots - you made it work. The look was great and I liked your dolly shots and the lighting was right where it needed to be. You maybe could have had a little more lighting on the guy in the glasses outside (his eyes), but other than that, great job. You introduced something we haven't (or at least I haven't) seen here before and those are the types of films that make noise. Great job!!

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I am glad you liked it spencer! I have no idea why I wanted to split it, and when I was in editing hell for 12 hours straight, I was like dammit I really should have planned this better. I think the timing is good and the cheats are hidden pretty well. Your film is on the list for tomorrow morning.

you know what normally i hate movies with split screens but you pulled it off... and very well. like your shots matched up rather then them just
kindof being split to just do it... i was kindof wondering about the random guy outside but then it made sense in two seconds.. i really liked the whole piece.

well done.. :)

Maximus
03-07-2010, 04:43 AM
It looked great.

I think this is your best film yet.

Congrats!

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 05:58 AM
My critique for The Charl(Y)ie Factor
The story:
Very interesting! I loved every part of it.. Simple and to the point. Ending was very cool!

The acting:
All three of the actors truly convinced me of their roles.

The camerawork:
Loved it! Colors were great and painted an amazing atmosphere.

The editing:
I think the editing here is what sold the story. Very creative!! Loved the shot of him walking up the stairs while they were about to kiss... suspenseful! A very subtle pace - loved it!

The sound and music:
There was a moment where the lead guy walks over to the girl and his sound gets very echoey. Besides that, every other line in the movie is crisp clear! The music is great - so simple yet so complicated.

Overall impression:
One of my favorites!! You are a very talented filmmaker!!

My favorite shot:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6015/screenshot20100307at751.png

Paul Cafuk
03-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Very well done!!! Until he laid the pistol on the counter I was totally convinced that he was going to whack her. Your story pulled me in and it kept me wondering and wanting more!

Again, kudo's!

Dauntless
03-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Awesome short, I loved the DOF when shes driving the car. The main actor was amazing very convincing. Lighting, Sound, Music all top notch!

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 07:33 AM
WOW! thank you. I tried to ADR that scene but I just could not get it. It was driving me crazy and after an hour of trying to get it, it just did not work. The editing was complete craziness, I had to tape an arrow to my screen to make sure the each screen lined up between cuts and shooting that with one camera is something I will never do again. The timing was almost impossible to get. So I had to cheat. I am so glad you enjoyed seth!

My critique for The Charl(Y)ie Factor
The story:
Very interesting! I loved every part of it.. Simple and to the point. Ending was very cool!

The acting:
All three of the actors truly convinced me of their roles.

The camerawork:
Loved it! Colors were great and painted an amazing atmosphere.

The editing:
I think the editing here is what sold the story. Very creative!! Loved the shot of him walking up the stairs while they were about to kiss... suspenseful! A very subtle pace - loved it!

The sound and music:
There was a moment where the lead guy walks over to the girl and his sound gets very echoey. Besides that, every other line in the movie is crisp clear! The music is great - so simple yet so complicated.

Overall impression:
One of my favorites!! You are a very talented filmmaker!!

My favorite shot:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6015/screenshot20100307at751.png

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Very well done!!! Until he laid the pistol on the counter I was totally convinced that he was going to whack her. Your story pulled me in and it kept me wondering and wanting more!

Again, kudo's!

Paul thank you man. I am glad you finished it and actually liked it man. Thank you!

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Awesome short, I loved the DOF when shes driving the car. The main actor was amazing very convincing. Lighting, Sound, Music all top notch!

Thank you!! I literally gave them script revisions the day of shooting and they really did their best to nail it. I thought FDL's score was wonderful and it changed the entire mood of the piece. I can't thank you enough for your kind words.

Rodney V. Smith
03-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Mr Johnson: that's quite a nice looking film you have there. Easily one of your best films in terms of storytelling, shot selection and overall style. You literally had to edit 2 movies there and make sure that they came back to the same point. I don't evny you that task, especially since they had to match up so well. There were a couple of stumbles through the editing, some things that could be improved on, but that's easily fixable and didn;t distract from the story too much.

I enjoyed your treatment of the bad guy and the slow eventual reveal of your lead's intentions. Wondered what was going to happen there and you took us in for the slow burn. Nicely crafted.

If there is anything I noticed was the walls. They were a little distracting at times and I wish you could have paid more attention to the set design. Set design is one thing that will definitely bump your productions up a couple of notches.

Apart from that you;ve done a fantastic job. You never disappoint sir.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Wow, I just watched your flick. First one. The images were great. I totally dug the side by side. There were a few edits on Chris I didn't care for, but the movie was really good. Picked up on some sound issues. Acting was well done.

My wife and I watched it together and I said, it was good right? She said yeah and he has a score. ouch. I have to watch it again to give any more in depth review. First impression: I dug it. So far so good. One down 40 something to go.

Thank you for the critiques, I need them. I am glad you enjoyed it. I loved your film as well. I want that in depth!:happy:

ZazaCast
03-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Preface: I was up until 4am this morning watching all these great films. I do not read other comments in a thread, so please excuse me if I repeat.

Richard...first off...WOW! I just LOVED this film. To me this is one of your best works.
I can't believe the command you showed over a camera(s) that you just got!
This is the sign of a true artist and really talented person. You should be uber-proud of this short!
It is EASILY one of my favorites of this fest.

I was pulled in by the creative edit right from the first frame(s). The look you achieved screams big screen film to me.
The direction was spot on and showcased the fabulous acting. Everything just worked so well together. Great lighting,
sound design and score tops the whole thing off. I wouldn't change a thing! (nice slider shot on that wine too!)

Thank you for finding the time to create this gem of a film... it will remain on my media player for years to come so I can show people
what I can only hope to achieve with MY films one day.

Please congratulate the entire cast and crew.... and yourself!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Homunculus
03-07-2010, 08:27 AM
very good film i liked it and I enjoyed the lighting the most.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 08:36 AM
very good film i liked it and I enjoyed the lighting the most.

Thank you for comments. Just awesome. Thank you.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Man, you made my day. I can't tell how great it is to know you enjoyed it. Thanks Za! I loved yours as well as you already know. thank you.

and you know the slider was gonna get used somewhere!!

Preface: I was up until 4am this morning watching all these great films. I do not read other comments in a thread, so please excuse me if I repeat.

Richard...first off...WOW! I just LOVED this film. To me this is one of your best works.
I can't believe the command you showed over a camera(s) that you just got!
This is the sign of a true artist and really talented person. You should be uber-proud of this short!
It is EASILY one of my favorites of this fest.

I was pulled in by the creative edit right from the first frame(s). The look you achieved screams big screen film to me.
The direction was spot on and showcased the fabulous acting. Everything just worked so well together. Great lighting,
sound design and score tops the whole thing off. I wouldn't change a thing! (nice slider shot on that wine too!)

Thank you for finding the time to create this gem of a film... it will remain on my media player for years to come so I can show people
what I can only hope to achieve with MY films one day.

Please congratulate the entire cast and crew.... and yourself!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks Rodney, You are one of my favorite filmmakers here and coming from you I can't tell you how happy I am you enjoyed it.

I just wish I would have seen your set design posts a month earlier! I never paid any attention to it now it's all I think about. The editing was a nightmare and I would never do anything like that again without very careful planning.

I just wish you knew how important it was for me you to have liked it. I am glad you did. thank you man.

Mr Johnson: that's quite a nice looking film you have there. Easily one of your best films in terms of storytelling, shot selection and overall style. You literally had to edit 2 movies there and make sure that they came back to the same point. I don't evny you that task, especially since they had to match up so well. There were a couple of stumbles through the editing, some things that could be improved on, but that's easily fixable and didn;t distract from the story too much.

I enjoyed your treatment of the bad guy and the slow eventual reveal of your lead's intentions. Wondered what was going to happen there and you took us in for the slow burn. Nicely crafted.

If there is anything I noticed was the walls. They were a little distracting at times and I wish you could have paid more attention to the set design. Set design is one thing that will definitely bump your productions up a couple of notches.

Apart from that you;ve done a fantastic job. You never disappoint sir.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Loved the split screen (from a storytelling standpoint, as well as from a technical appreciation standpoint), I thought the acting was very, very good and the cinematography and shot selection was top-notch.

I'm impressed.

Ryan, thank you! I was worried about the split, but after I watched ten thousand times I got used it. Thank you so much for the kind words man. I so appreciate it.

Luis_
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah when I started watching I was wondering if the split was going to go through the whole flick.... good stuff, my favorite part was when the guy walked out of frame into the other one!
nice job!

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 10:08 AM
yeah when I started watching I was wondering if the split was going to go through the whole flick.... good stuff, my favorite part was when the guy walked out of frame into the other one!
nice job!

I agree.. that part made me shiver! :Drogar-Shock(DBG): Excellent storytelling

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Guys, thank you for the amazing comments!!! Wow. Thank you. The split was my mojor conern. I'm glad you enjoyed my film. It means a lot.

Rodney V. Smith
03-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Just watched this again and I had a thought that the only way this could have been better is if you had storyboarded these shots so they complemented each other better. It probably all came together in the edit, but if it had been planned to be the split screen, you could have planned such nice specific shots... that kinds of symmetry would have been awesome to see.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Rodney, I totally feel that. I went in without ANY idea how I was gonna pull the split screen off. I just could not wrap my head around what exactly I wanted to do. I started to pm you several times to get advice, but I knew you were busy. Trust me, your approach to filmmaking is now a part of my approach. Thank you for honest criticism. I really appreciate it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Story: Interesting story. Straight forward but engaging.

Acting: This was pretty solid. My only gripe would be the creepy guy. The head tilting stuff was shown a bit too much. Just a little over the top. He almost came off childlike.

Technical: Excellent work here! The framing and cinematography was great! A minor note, clean up that sound just a tad. We can hear it coming in and out. I loved the split screen stuff. I was almost hoping that when he entered her space that you would switch to one screen. I still like your final choice though.

You keep on getting better and better. This one is very good.

MAH

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Thank you MAH. You know how I feel about your work. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had the screen go to one at the kiss but it looked a little odd on the cut so just kept it split. I agree with the head thing though.

The audio was a huge pain for me. The ADR we did just wasn't perfect so I let it fly, you and your damn headphones! : ). Seriously, I am so glad you liked man. It means a tremendous amount.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Thank you MAH. You know how I feel about your work. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had the screen go to one at the kiss but it looked a little odd on the cut so just kept it split. I agree with the head thing though.

The audio was a huge pain for me. The ADR we did just wasn't perfect so I let it fly, you and your damn headphones! : ). Seriously, I am so glad you liked man. It means a tremendous amount.
If you are thinking of sending this out elsewhere the dialogue audio can be cleaned. It's pretty good as is. It just comes in and out a bit harsh at times.

Great work, man. Can't wait to see what you do next.

MAH

Rodney V. Smith
03-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Mike is right. Take this and send it to an audio pro. get them to clean it up and sweeten the sound. I highly recommend Brad Semenoff if you can get him. The work he will do to you film will make it 10 times as impactful.