PDA

View Full Version : Took the plunge - Initial impressions

nobbystylus
11-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I've finally gone for it and got a (RED) GH1, which i have to say has really impressed me beyond my expectations so far. The creative movie mode is exactly what it should be, and by using my FD lenses i'm really pleased with indoor low light performance, and shallow depth of field etc. The camera is responsive, the operating system is very simple, the screen is fantastic and the stock lens, while way too slow has great stabilisation.

My first question is about using the 'M' mode on the dial. What seems to happen is that even though everything is set to Manual (focus, Iexposure is off etc) and i'm using an FD lens, the screen still seems to compensate for exposure, boosting the image gain when in dark areas, and also the visually the shutter starts to slow. This seems to only be on the LCD or LVF as when i take a picture or shoot video the resulting image is very different. I'm aware that you have the 'preview' button so that you can see depth of field and shutter effects (by hitting two buttons), but is there a way to set up 'M' mode so that it works like creative movie mode in that 'what the screen shows is what you get'? I want to use this 'M' mode primarily so i can take stills or movies on the fly while being sure the screen is accurate.

Also i've noticed when at very high ISOs (1600) i get a RED LINE down the right side of my shots. It only seems to show after the shot has been taken. Is it something to do with the Noise reduction, or is this a faulty chip?

Last point is that while taking stills despite using smooth mode and turning down contrast and sharpness to -2 my stills seem much more contrasty when i look at them on my cinema display in comparison to the LCD on the camera. I can bring back a little bit of detail in the blacks in post (if i shoot RAW) but i'd rather be able to trust the camera's LCD a little more. I would like as much latitude in post as possible so don't want to be reducing contrast in post if i can help it.

Sorry for the ramble, i'm very excited and am about to go on a trip to vietnam so want to get to know the camera really well before i leave.

Thanks for any help.

Pelerino
11-23-2009, 05:50 AM
If you press the dustbin button then display this will show you the image you are about to take - adjust accordingly.

AdrianF
11-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Last point is that while taking stills despite using smooth mode and turning down contrast and sharpness to -2 my stills seem much more contrasty when i look at them on my cinema display in comparison to the LCD on the camera. I can bring back a little bit of detail in the blacks in post (if i shoot RAW) but i'd rather be able to trust the camera's LCD a little more. I would like as much latitude in post as possible so don't want to be reducing contrast in post if i can help it.
Have you tried this on another display? I have viewed RAW files on a few different monitors and mostly they've looked as I saw them while shooting. If you're shooting jpegs, they do come out quite punchy.