PDA

View Full Version : Problems with footage on my drives...Please help

asteele10
11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm uploading my footage to my computer that I shot today so I can delete the files form my SD cards and film tomorrow. Here is my problem:

In final cut, most of my clips say "reconnect media". However, when your preview it, the clips appear fine. I even exported a piece of my timeline with the red "reconnect" image and the clip is fine.

Whats going on? Am I safe to erase the footage from my SD card? Please help I'd like erase the clips so I can film tomorrow. Thanks!

Also, when I look at the files on the SD card directly, I can't open them in quicktime. Only in FCP can I see the clips. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

ydgmdlu
11-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey, here's the thing. FCP can't use the AVCHD clips that you shot and downloaded from the SD card. FCP doesn't know how to read the files. If you're using FCP to edit, then you would actually have to transcode all of the footage first, most likely to ProRes. Once you've transcoded the footage, new .MOV files are created. FCP uses these new .MOV files, not the original .MTS files from the camera.

Long story short, if you've transcoded the footage already, then you don't really have to worry about what's on that SD card. Just make sure that nothing happens to the transcoded files.