PDA

View Full Version : DSLRs May Be Cheap, But Talent Is Priceless

stip
11-21-2009, 03:59 AM
wired.com article dealing with the question

"With the potential and affordability of video DSLRs, why are we not awash in studio-quality, low-budget flicks?"

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2009/11/video-dslr/

greymog
11-21-2009, 04:41 AM
nice read. i enjoyed, but what did the writer mean when he said canon enable manual iso shutter and aperture control, but not manual control of the video function? lost me there.

bwwd
11-21-2009, 06:10 AM
“I think the ‘YouTube revolution’ … has already unleashed a tsunami of indie and home movies. I don’t feel that a particular type of cheap DSLR camera is gonna really cause that much of a stir.
I read that and i dont even have to read the rest of it... if someone doesnt see a difference between 7d and minidv youtube vid then what can i say.
Talent matters and its not news,look at "dispatch" short in monster fest and then look at any random gh-1 video.
Problem is that people are using DSLR's like their minidv camcorders,its a big fail.

hepabst
11-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Interesting article. I think the best thing I did was buy a D90 last year. It was cheap compared to the other DSLR's and it had 24fps so I could shoot at a film rate and it has a filmish look. This past year with my D90 has taught me what I want out of one of these cameras and I'm currently waiting until one shows up.

Using my D90 is like shooting with and old 16mm; Shot time limits, sync sound, converting film to digital etc... It's not easy making good looking films/videos.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is so much more that goes into a good film/video than just having a cool camera. My D90 and a hand full of great lenses are the perfect tools to learn cinematic technic. Cinematic technic is my weak point and it's my goal to increase my knowledge and style in that area.

Pookie
11-21-2009, 07:21 PM
It's all a sales gimmick boys and girls.

It's all about the $$$

bwwd
11-21-2009, 11:46 PM
what do you mean ?