PDA

View Full Version : Opps - NTSC model?

adys
11-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi all

I bought my camera from B&H, I didn't even know that there are 2 models - PAL and NTSC.

Silly me... but its not something that you usually check when you buying a dslr.

In the order page there is not even a single word about NTSC.
And I read it all.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608940-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GH1K_Lumix_DMC_GH1_Digital_Camera.ht ml#features

Is it important?

I am not going to play stuff from the camera, I want to edit my footage in avid.

Thanks again,

Ady.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Where will you be screening / showing / burning DVD's of your work?
America?

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
...Is it important?

I am not going to play stuff from the camera, I want to edit my footage in avid.
Yes it's important. They shoot different frame rates. And no, you can't just simply drag one 25fps onto a 24 time line and expect the same results or conversely hope to drop 24fps footage on a 25 time line with the same results.

Otherwise no one would care / make such a big deal about 30p vs 24p for example, if the native frame rate didn't matter once you got it into your NLE.

adys
11-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks Jack.

I am located in Israel (Pal)

I am not shooting commercial stuff, so I can choose my format.

I am student for art, most of my works are projected from a computer and a projector, but its only the beginning of HD in art, at list in where I am learning.

So in the upcoming future I will burn DVD's, I guess, we still don't have a lots of blue ray DVD around here..

Aren't most of the LCD tv's are multi systems?

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Search around the site some, there's some pro / con discussions of the NTSC vs Pal models.

Is returning it and picking up a pal version not an option?

Seems a shame to be limited to only art played back from a hard drive when you could also have the option to make some cash on the side, etc. and still make art for art's sake.

adys
11-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Search around the site some, there's some pro / con discussions of the NTSC vs Pal models.

Is returning it and picking up a pal version not an option?

Seems a shame to be limited to only art played back from a hard drive when you could also have the option to make some cash on the side, etc. and still make art for art's sake.

I do .NET programming for living, find it much better for me :)

Returning it is a huge mess, need to send it back to the US and I don't think its in stock now. ( all the cameras gone in 5 days! )

Beside that, I will have a huge headache with the taxes authorities again, need to pay and then to get them back... and the UPS local commission will not returned.

I sent mail to B&H, I will have to wait and see what they are suggesting.

Martti Ekstrand
11-20-2009, 01:52 AM
You will run into problems with the 50 Hz electricity versus the 60 / 24 fps in the NTSC model. IE fluorescents lights and sodium street lights can flicker due to interference between the different frequencies. Plus with the NTSC model you have to deal with the pulldown removal issue when shooting in 1080 mode. The GH1 wraps the 24 fps into a 60i stream which if not transcoded correctly will give bad looking frame defects. On the PAL model it's not a problem as it wraps 25 fps evenly into a 50i stream which is straightforward to transcode to a 25p file. Chances are also that if you go into a Avid suite in Israel it's set up for a PAL workflow and not NTSC - not just the computer but all gear around like broadcast monitors and tape recorders.

stoneinapond
11-20-2009, 06:34 AM
B&H does not sell a PAL version of the GH1.