PDA

View Full Version : New webseries shot on 7D...

TheDynamoDuo
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Ike Vs. Vin - Episode 1
(http://vimeo.com/7360168)
Wanted to get your guys feedback on the first episode of this webseries me and my brother are doing. We shot it on the 7D and are in the process of finishing episode 2 right now. I appreciate it guys!

staypuft85
11-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Haha, burnin' out the Honda Fit. Nice.

The fist fight at the end felt a little too staged. Getting in closer might help give a more realistic kinetic energy.

All in all a nice 1st ep. keep it up.

Chamber005
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Looks pretty cool. I was pretty surprised, though, to see you using copyrighted music alongside google ads and other advertising. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you did not secure the synch rights for the music? It's one thing to steal music, but then to potentially profit from it -- tread carefully!

There may be some leeway here because you're only embedding the video on your website (opposed to actually uploading it there), but I kind of doubt it.

I just picked up a camera for the first time a few months back, but even I know any music I use in my production either needs to be cleared from the artist or I have to create the music myself (which is what I've done so far on both counts).

If the ads weren't there I wouldn't see it mattering (as) much. But I'm sure this not only violates copyright law but always violates the contract you have with your advertisers.

A different kind of feedback than you were looking for maybe, but that's what I thought of when I saw it. ;)

Good luck!

TheDynamoDuo
11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Haha, burnin' out the Honda Fit. Nice.

The fist fight at the end felt a little too staged. Getting in closer might help give a more realistic kinetic energy.

All in all a nice 1st ep. keep it up.

Haha, glad someone appreciates the Honda Fit exceeding it's ambition, :D! I also feel the fist fight and choreography could have been MUCH better, but I digress. Chalk it up to the evils of shooting with just 2 people total, I suppose. On episode 2, we're shooting it with more people so we have no excuse for low-quality hand-to-hand fights next time ;-).

And Chamber005,

I was under the impression because it isn't directly hosted and rather embedded it shouldn't be an issue.

And as far as profit, no worries there, ha, but the song is more over a place-holder that fits with the film until the original music is in place.

Essentially I just wanted to pick a song that fit with the action (and I couldn't find one the worked better than "Run") and use it more of a send-up to the artist, but you are entirely correct, I should put at the very least a link to where you can purchase the Gnarls Barkley track. However, hopefully I'll have the music swapped soon. In the meantime, you're right and I removed it from my site. I'll leave the original on Vimeo, because I don't think that infringes on the rights, as it's a similar concept to using any song in a demo reel for example, but if it does I'll update it as well. For now, it's serving simply as a proof of concept.

The GOOD news on all of this, however, is the entire second episode will be completely scored. It's gettin there.

Chamber005
11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Haha, glad someone appreciates the Honda Fit exceeding it's ambition, :D! I also feel the fist fight and choreography could have been MUCH better, but I digress. Chalk it up to the evils of shooting with just 2 people total, I suppose. On episode 2, we're shooting it with more people so we have no excuse for low-quality hand-to-hand fights next time ;-).

And Chamber005,

I was under the impression because it isn't directly hosted and rather embedded it shouldn't be an issue.

And as far as profit, no worries there, ha, but the song is more over a place-holder that fits with the film until the original music is in place.

Essentially I just wanted to pick a song that fit with the action (and I couldn't find one the worked better than "Run") and use it more of a send-up to the artist, but you are entirely correct, I should put at the very least a link to where you can purchase the Gnarls Barkley track. However, hopefully I'll have the music swapped soon. In the meantime, you're right and I removed it from my site. I'll leave the original on Vimeo, because I don't think that infringes on the rights, as it's a similar concept to using any song in a demo reel for example, but if it does I'll update it as well. For now, it's serving simply as a proof of concept.

The GOOD news on all of this, however, is the entire second episode will be completely scored. It's gettin there.

Yeah, it still infringes on the rights, but now YOU'RE not the one infringing, Vimeo is -- and they probably won't care unless the copyright holders actually found it and pointed to it, which they probably won't.

And again, chances are nothing would happen if the song was on your site, but it's my experience that it's better to find a creative way around something if you don't have the legal documentation to back you up.

There probably isn't a "moral" bone in my body when it comes to all this music copyright crap. I feel like everyone everywhere should be able to play and display music wherever and whenever they want to so long as at some point they actually purchased the music themselves; and if they wanted to use the music in a movie to make a profit, I feel they should be able to so long as they give whatever percentage of residuals to ASCAP or whomever. That's how *I* feel, but that's not the law. The law is ridiculous and only serves to make rich people richer -- but those are the people who usually write and sponsor the laws in business practices.

Anyway, good luck on your original stuff. It's WAY more gratifying regardless.

Martin Landsburg
11-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Really great stuff...also checked out your reel, looks great.
Did you do anything in post to reduce rolling shutter or is the amount we see now as-is?
In the end, in the shot where you turn around quickly after you put your jacket on, it looks like any other camera that judders when hand held. I was expecting way more jello for something as dynamic as this...
Can you tell us your shutter speed and other settings? Lens used?

bwwd
11-20-2009, 06:40 AM
I see many problems with framing where eyes are cut off but not important parts of the body are onscreen and kit lens isnt really good for film making.

TheDynamoDuo
11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Really great stuff...also checked out your reel, looks great.
Did you do anything in post to reduce rolling shutter or is the amount we see now as-is?
In the end, in the shot where you turn around quickly after you put your jacket on, it looks like any other camera that judders when hand held. I was expecting way more jello for something as dynamic as this...
Can you tell us your shutter speed and other settings? Lens used?

Hey Martin, thanks brother! Appreciate it! What you see is "as-is" for shutter. We shot that scene at 60p / f5.6 with a shutter of 1/500. In post we then pulled the footage to 24p. Lens was 18-135mm Zoom. I used the shoulder mount that I made (which you can check out on here or my blog if you want). I agree about the Jello. When I bought this camera I was expecting it to be a real issue, but I've found that just like any camera, it requires knowing how to manipulate settings to get the result you want and its actually very minimal when its all said and done.

I see many problems with framing where eyes are cut off but not important parts of the body are onscreen and kit lens isnt really good for film making.

bwwd, I am completely satisfied with framing as its exactly what I wanted, it creates the tension and unnerving I was looking for. And as far as kit lens, I disagree with you. The lens is perfectly suitable for any scenario. Is there some reason, you don't like the kit lens? Generally speaking, usually any negative issue any of us might have with a lens is completely moot in the eyes of the general population as they don't notice the intricate differences played by the glass. Also, I think those minuscule differences in image are easily offset in post these days anyway.