PDA

View Full Version : four thirds lens w/ adapter

Psynema
11-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone tell me more info if this is a good setup

Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 lens $400 (half the price of Panny's new zoom and 2.8 throughout the whole range, but it doesn't have OIS)

and

Oly adapter since the sigma is a four thirds mount. I know those adapters allow electronic communication, but how well would it work on the GH1 for aperture and focus? I imagine autofocus would be very noisy with this too

Anyone try this?

Not too keen on losing OIS

ydgmdlu
11-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Autofocus probably won't work, unfortunately. Not all Four Thirds lenses retain the AF capability when using an adapter for Micro Four Thirds; only a select few lenses do work. It's a real shame because an amazing lens like the Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 can't autofocus... I was seriously considering that lens months ago, but I couldn't justify the price after learning this hard truth.

AdrianF
11-18-2009, 12:47 AM
There is a list of which Four Thirds lenses will work via the adapter on Panasonics website. I don't think any of the Sigma's will autofocus from memory. You'll still have electronic iris control as you do with the kit lens though.
My only gripe from using Olympus 4/3 lenses is the fly by wire focusing system generally isn't really well suited to manual focusing. I think it varies a lot between lenses, so don't know how the Sigma's will perform.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.htmlhttp://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

Psynema
11-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Autofocus probably won't work, unfortunately. Not all Four Thirds lenses retain the AF capability when using an adapter for Micro Four Thirds; only a select few lenses do work. It's a real shame because an amazing lens like the Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 can't autofocus... I was seriously considering that lens months ago, but I couldn't justify the price after learning this hard truth.

You may be in luck because I FULLY EXPECT olympus to eventually come out with a 1080P hybrid...their cameras have sensor based SR

I'm still rooting for Pentax to come out with 1080p full video control, but can't wait that long.