PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong with my GH1

seanmcleod
11-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey Guys,

Maybe this has been covered but I can't find it! I'm running a dual 2 GHz PPC G5 with 10.4.11 and 4 GB of RAM. I have final cut studio 2 as well.

Now the problem I'm having is when I use Toast 9.0.2 to convert the .mts files over to a FCP usable .mov i'm getting this horrible interlaced looking footage. Now I know it has something to do with the pulldown removal or something but I'm not sure how to do that with my configuration, being a non-intel mac, I don't think I can get JES for my system. So anyone know the workaround?

Also on a side note, I haven't seen anywhere in the menus where you can select the frame rate, all i see is ADVCHD or JPEG options... I don't know, I'm new to this bastard. Also where can I select the shutter speed for filming?

Again sorry for noobishness.

ydgmdlu
11-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Also on a side note, I haven't seen anywhere in the menus where you can select the frame rate, all i see is ADVCHD or JPEG options... I don't know, I'm new to this bastard. Also where can I select the shutter speed for filming?

MJPEG is only 720p30. AVCHD has two main modes of significance: FHD and SH. FHD is 1080p24 and SH is 720p60. Shutter speed is controlled by the little wheel at the top left corner on the front side of the body.

This is the kind of basic information that can be found in the manual that came in the box. I would suggest that you try to get as much knowledge from that (and from the FAQ and other stickies here) as you can before asking such questions.

ydgmdlu
11-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Now the problem I'm having is when I use Toast 9.0.2 to convert the .mts files over to a FCP usable .mov i'm getting this horrible interlaced looking footage. Now I know it has something to do with the pulldown removal or something but I'm not sure how to do that with my configuration, being a non-intel mac, I don't think I can get JES for my system. So anyone know the workaround?
A quick Google search for JES Deinterlacer showed its home page as the top result. Near the top of the home page are download links, which clearly mention a universal binary that works with PPC. I'm sorry, but you couldn't at least take a second to try to find this information for yourself instead of making assumptions and taking more time to ask others for help? Sure, we'll answer all of your questions as best as we can, but this is not the best use of either your time or ours... How do you expect to learn if you don't try helping yourself first?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jeschot/home.html

Ben_B
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Guys,

Maybe this has been covered but I can't find it! I'm running a dual 2 GHz PPC G5 with 10.4.11 and 4 GB of RAM. I have final cut studio 2 as well.

Again sorry for noobishness.

If you're shooting AVCHD FHD mode you need to remove the pulldown of the footage, see the sticky in the workflow section.

For shutter speed in video mode there is an item in the menu.

calamita
11-17-2009, 04:17 AM
This is the kind of basic information that can be found in the manual that came in the box. I would suggest that you try to get as much knowledge from that (and from the FAQ and other stickies here) as you can before asking such questions.

Actually, I've found the GH1's manual to be disorganized and very confusing. It is basically a reference of what each menu item does without explaining the significance of each feature or how to apply it. It's almost like the "other manual" is missing from the box.

I've learned more from people in this forum (and the DPReview forum) than the manual, by far.

ydgmdlu
11-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Actually, I've found the GH1's manual to be disorganized and very confusing. It is basically a reference of what each menu item does without explaining the significance of each feature or how to apply it. It's almost like the "other manual" is missing from the box.

I've learned more from people in this forum (and the DPReview forum) than the manual, by far.
In this case, the information that the OP wanted was found clearly in the manual, on page 106. I didn't even have the manual physically in front of me; I downloaded the PDF and did a search for "AVCHD," which eventually brought me to the list of available AVCHD and MJPEG modes (with resolutions and frame rates). The whole process of Googling for the manual, downloading it, and finding the relevant page took less than a minute.

seanmcleod
11-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I have looked in the manual several times and although probably distracted while looking I never really saw the answers I was looking for... and I clearly stated it was probably answered somewhere in here but I just haven't seen it yet... so I apologize but dude, I didn't make you answer me, and yes after posting this and before getting any responses I was did see that JES had a PPC version so I did get that, sometimes you just want someone to tell you exactly what you want to know.

We shouldn't get snippy with each other like this my man!

John Caballero
11-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Well, the fact that not many people responded at all says a lot, right? Rule number one when getting a new camera: READ THE MANUAL THOROUGHLY. THEN READ IT AGAIN.

Ben_B
11-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, the fact that not many people responded at all says a lot, right? Rule number one when getting a new camera: READ THE MANUAL THOROUGHLY. THEN READ IT AGAIN.

No, step one is go play with it. Step two is try to do something meaningful. Step three is give up and read the manual.

tflak
11-17-2009, 11:41 AM
This is definitely a generational thing. Absolute last resort for the younger set is the manual. :)

Ben_B
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
This is definitely a generational thing. Absolute last resort for the younger set is the manual. :)

Actually the nice thing about the long wait for the GH1 preorders to ship was that I managed to read the manual cover to cover a few times before I finally snagged mine...using it was almost like saying hello to an old friend :D..or meeting someone you've known online forever.

davidpula
11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Why arent you just transcoding in FCP with ProRes? It's super easy.

tflak
11-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Ben, after having raised three kids and taught at a university...believe me, you're an exception.

seanmcleod
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Nah the thing with that david is that you can't on non-intel based macs for some reason... and tflak, I find this forum to be more insightful than any manual... I always go to here first when I can't figure something out... maybe I overlooked it in the manual, so sue me!

Ozpeter
11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Ben, after having raised three kids and taught at a university.... and I trust you read the manual before embarking on either of those projects! :)

I'm much of the belief that it's usually well worth re-reading manuals after some days/weeks of using whatever device - then you find yourself skimming the basics and discovering some semi-hidden stuff you overlooked first time through. And it all makes that much more sense in the light of your experience.

ydgmdlu
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
No, step one is go play with it. Step two is try to do something meaningful. Step three is give up and read the manual.
So true... :)

John Caballero
11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ben_B

Well, thats exactly why you have people asking questions that are right there in their faces if while they charged up the battery they spent a little time going thru the manual.

ydgmdlu
11-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I have looked in the manual several times and although probably distracted while looking I never really saw the answers I was looking for... and I clearly stated it was probably answered somewhere in here but I just haven't seen it yet...
That's why the search function exists. And it's also why I avoid using paper manuals whenever I can. Searching a PDF is so much easier and faster than flipping through a booklet.

To tell you the truth, I've never even read or touched the GH1 manual. If I'm confused about or don't know something, I'd do a search, either in Google, or the forums here, or a PDF-format manual. I had no idea about where the table of AVCHD/MJPEG modes would be found in the manual, but I was 100% certain that something like it had to be in there, because I would expect Panasonic to supply a competent manual that would explain every menu function.

Asking others for help is my last resort. I wouldn't want anyone to use his/her valuable time and energy on something that I could do for myself.

so I apologize but dude, I didn't make you answer me, and yes after posting this and before getting any responses I was did see that JES had a PPC version so I did get that, sometimes you just want someone to tell you exactly what you want to know.
So you cross-posted the same questions in two separate forums, and you weren't expecting anybody to give you an answer? Clearly that was not the case. And after you had found your answer on your own, you didn't bother to retract your questions or edit your posts to reflect your newfound knowledge?

We shouldn't get snippy with each other like this my man!
I don't mean to get snippy. Please don't misread my tone, which I realize is easy to do in an online forum. I just want to question you in the most direct way.

It's not your self-professed "noobishness" that's bothersome, it's something else... Imagine if everyone who wanted to know basic information posted a thread (or two) to ask instead of trying to find the information for him- or herself. This forum would be flooded with "noobish" questions! There's a good reason why a FAQ sticky was posted at the top of the forum months ago.

For instance, do you have any idea how many times we've had to answer the question about whether or not the camera outputs a live video signal while recording? It just got tiresome. Why help anyone if he/she isn't going to take just a moment to see if the question has already been answered? We put the put the effort into answering it already, and now we're expected to put more effort just to repeat ourselves? By the same token, why should we take the time to tell you something that you can find on your own in only a minute or two? That's not to say that we aren't happy to help, but some questions are more worthy of attention than others. Yet we do want to help everybody.

I say all of this because I'm all about the maxim, "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and you'll feed him for a lifetime."

John Caballero
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
"Teach a man to fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and you'll feed him for a lifetime."

It is actually:

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

That's why you really have to read the paper manual! LOL!

ydgmdlu
11-17-2009, 11:59 PM
It is actually:

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

That's why you really have to read the paper manual! LOL!
Whoops! That's embarrassing! I'll go fix that now....

I fail at life. Time to go read the life manual... :)