PDA

View Full Version : should i get the gh1 now?

sithroya
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
hi i was looking to get the gh1 for a while now. (previous choices were canon 5d or hv20/30/40+35mm adapter)

Is there anything else in the 1000-1500 price range coming out soon that I should wait for? or i should is the gh1 the best bang for my money right now?

thanks

Chris Light
11-15-2009, 09:36 PM
IMO you shouldn't wait...get it and shoot with it. there's always something coming down the pike, and you could be waiting and missing out on shooting oppertunities.

kainekainekaine
11-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Rumours are

18th November - Sony EVIL Camera

Rolf Silber
11-16-2009, 02:22 AM
problem is more: do you need to decide for a camera or for a system.

if you go for a system then buy now, collect all the other equipment and later when the ghxxx arrives, you just buy a new body.

if you buy a camera alone, then you will be very probably running into the same problems computer owners did know from the early day of computing: they day you leave the shop with your new device is the day it get's outdated.

good, old hare / hedgehog syndrome ;-)

MR Fanny
11-16-2009, 02:58 AM
i bought it and then detached myself from all the new this and soon to be that and now just concentrate on filming stuff. if i had have waited i wouldn't have filmed all the fun stuff i've done so far.

Essami
11-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Yes, I think you should buy it immeadiately :)

greymog
11-16-2009, 05:10 AM
IMO the GH1 is a fantastic solution, it runs out the box, which means 1500 gets you an image, not a body. I believe GH1 + Neoscene is the most versatile and powerful solution there is. Codec issues can be 'cured' by some discipline in getting it right on cam. The images are stunning and the camera has features I find more practical than other models (EVF/Histogram/no mirror).

I would go for it in a flash and start shooting. That's really the greatest thing one can derive from this community. The encouragement to just shoot so as not to miss opportunities.

androoow
11-16-2009, 05:37 AM
wait untill you cannot wait anymore.

philiplipetz
11-16-2009, 08:08 AM
So cheap the first job pays for it. Different equation if strickly amateur.

I own both solutions you are considering. Despite the vimeo comparison video GH1 much better. Low light less grain at same light, even using 1600. GH1 harder to handholds steady but if were considering a 35mm adapter you were not going handheld. But remember that to get shallow DOF you need extra lenses on GH1. Without extra lenses you can use ND fret to fool HV cams into using f1.8 but the GH1 can only go to f4 to f5.6 in most ranges. However, to do a fake shallow DOF on the HV you need to go to telephoto settings, even with large f stop. Also if you do not intend to color grade in post then the HV series gives a better out of the box filmic look because it's failures work that way.

Since you mention a $1500 cap you may not have money for equipping GH1 for shallow DOF. At low end also consider the Panasonic TM300. However in your stated budget you will be using cheap 35mm adadpters that fail to please my eye.

Last night did a multiplecam job with both GH1 and HV20 so will soon know how well they work together and what it takes to get their images to intercut well.

sithroya
11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
thanks for the responses, i also heard good things about the gf1.. how does it compare to the gh1?

philiplipetz
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
thanks for the responses, i also heard good things about the gf1.. how does it compare to the gh1?

The test reports seem to indicate about one half to one stop less light sensitivity, and only 720p on video. Video has less controls than GH1. GH1 lens is optimized for video and GF1 lens is not. For video there is really no choice but GH1 in my opinion.

Camera Expert
11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Unlike the GH1, the GF1 has a fake 720 60p mode. I mean it's really 60 frames per second but the frames are doubled. I can understand the GF1 not being powerful enough for 720 60p and even the 7D wasn't really made for 720 60p which is why you can't shoot on that mode for long periods of time but I think it would have been better if it shoot in 720 30p with a bit rate of around 8MBPS. If you want to repeat the frames, you should do it in your editor.

Barry_Green
11-16-2009, 10:22 AM
It's not a "fake 720/60p" mode, it's just 720/30p. It happens to be recorded in a 60p stream with duplicated frames, but what it's really creating is the look and feel of 720/30p.

The repeated frames are no big deal, they are just a flag that's set. They don't take up any additional bandwidth.

insanityfw
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm more in love with my GH1 as the days go by. It has many limitations, but if I can't go out and shoot just about anything that I really need within a certain level of palatable quality, then that camera is never going to come.

You can adapt it to shoot in most situations. Will it be perfect in every situation? No....but then no camera will.

Buy GH1/Nikon adapter and ask for some old Nikon AI glass for Christmas and you'll be feeling like an old-school filmmaker running around with a crank-arm Bolex.....or better :)

Best,

J.

D90GH1_eric
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I got my GH1 used with a Nikon adapter, extra battery, and a 16G card for $1,300. I doubt the price of GH1 will go any lower than the $1,500-1,400 range any time soon unless a replacement camera is coming. The good news is that if you buy it now, you can get it without paying the extra since GH1 is in stock almost every where.

To get shallow DOF, the best solution is to get a manual-focus 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 lens. Anything longer, the camera shake becomes a real problem and anything shorter, the DOF may not be as shallow and nice. Many camera systems have orphan MF lenses because they no longer work for the digital mounts, and you can thus get these very cheaply. Nikon MF lenses are more expensive as they are still in use by many on the new digital bodies. Canon FD lenses are thus one of the most popular choices. I have a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 lens. The Zuiko lenses are known for their compact size and a good balance between sharpness and good bokeh. This f1.4 lens is about the size of a Nikon 50/1.8 lens, and MF ring is so smooth to turn and generates no noise in such process.