PDA

View Full Version : GH1 poor battery life

brosen
11-14-2009, 02:03 PM
I've been playing around with my new GH1, mainly navigating through the menus, checking AF, testing the EVF, etc., maybe 1 to 2 hours a day (max), and after 2 or 3 days the battery is GONE.

I have configured the Power Saving to 15 sec the display and 2 min the whole camera.

Am I doing something wrong ?, I used to do the same with my former Pentax K-7 for weeks before the battery will be dead.

Comments, suggestions ?, thanks

ydgmdlu
11-14-2009, 02:10 PM
No, you're not doing anything wrong, and what you're experiencing is not indicative of poor battery life. It's actually the difference between a Micro Four-Thirds camera and a traditional DSLR.

On a Micro Four-Thirds camera like the GH1, live view is active all of the time. Either the LCD screen is going to be on, or the EVF is. The sensor is being scanned constantly. All of this uses a lot of power. On a traditional DSLR, live view is not active all of the time. The sensor stays cold and idle most of the time. So power consumption would be minimal.

John Caballero
11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
The battery life in the GH 1 is pretty good for shooting. The logical thing to do is while you are not using it and you notice that the battery indicator shows that the battery is losing power take the thing and put it in the charger. Just common sense. And if you want more battery life buy a second one. Just common sense once again.

Ben_B
11-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I've actually been amazed at how good the battery life on the thing is vs say, an HVX..

Soroush Shahrokni
11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I've actually been amazed at how good the battery life on the thing is vs say, an HVX..
I fully agree. To me it feels like the battery lasts forever. I wanted to buy a 2nd battery as soon as I got the camera but since it always lasts a shooting day I have not felt the urge to get another one. I will in time buy one additional battery just in case it dries out on me.

Let me add that I always turn the camera off when I'm not shooting. All settings are intact when you power on and off.

MR Fanny
11-14-2009, 08:59 PM
I've been playing around with my new GH1, mainly navigating through the menus, checking AF, testing the EVF, etc., maybe 1 to 2 hours a day (max), and after 2 or 3 days the battery is GONE.

I have configured the Power Saving to 15 sec the display and 2 min the whole camera.

Am I doing something wrong ?, I used to do the same with my former Pentax K-7 for weeks before the battery will be dead.

Comments, suggestions ?, thanks

I'm sure your already onto plugging it into the adapter if you want to play with it more. 1-2hrs a day adds up to 3-6hrs but yeah as mentioned it is a m4/3 with EVF so its always on. I think that not a bad number if your doing videos and shooting continuous?...i dunno.

all i know is that it just manages to go the distance when i'm shooting something but it is time i get a second or 3rd battery for piece of mind.

logiquem
11-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Be sure to use it a couple of recharge cycle before making a definitive conclusion. The battery life of my GH1 has considerably improved in the first 4 days.