PDA

View Full Version : GH1 and old glass

Pelerino
11-13-2009, 04:36 AM
I have been trying out a load of old M42 prime lenses, has anyone else looked into this?

I have also found a very strange M42 Chinon 28mm 2.8 Auto Reflex lens that I swear has some sort of image stabilisation, how it that possible? I know that Chinon also made 16mm movie cameras so maybe that has something to do with it?? I will post a link to some footage shortly....

Pelerino
11-13-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/7593806

There is a bit of shake but no where near as much as there should be?

MR Fanny
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
is that at 1080? I find that i get more shakes at that than 720. your movements hide the shakes also. was this up to your face or out infront of you? I also find that the harder i push the cam to my face with the EVF the more shakes i get.

It could just be your getting better with your own stabilization? is the lens heavy also? that might play a part too. just random thoughts im throwing out there.

John Caballero
11-13-2009, 09:10 PM
If one wants stability put the camera on a tripod. 99% of professional movies are shot that way. Just watch a few tv series and movies and you will learn. Lens stabilization won't do any good if you move the camera around when it should be fully stabilized with a tripod or a steadicam.

asteele10
11-15-2009, 12:27 AM
I have an old Nikon 35mm with a bunch of lenses. The camera is from I believe 1976 and according to my uncle it was about the best 35mm available at the time. Is it worth looking into a lens adapter that will allow me to mount these lenses to my camera? Thanks..

Ben_B
11-15-2009, 03:04 AM
I have an old Nikon 35mm with a bunch of lenses. The camera is from I believe 1976 and according to my uncle it was about the best 35mm available at the time. Is it worth looking into a lens adapter that will allow me to mount these lenses to my camera? Thanks..

Hell yes it is! You can get an adapter for well under $100...totally worth it. I love having a mini arsenal of glass to draw upon..

Pelerino
11-15-2009, 03:30 AM
You can buy adapters from ebay for about 40, got to say this one of the reasons I love this camera - you can use any old glass you like.

I have a tripod and glidecam - I think using in lens stabilisation gives a very different shot.

asteele10
11-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Does the adapter need the electronic inputs (the 5 little gold circles like on the stock lens)? I ordered from Ebay and it dosen't have those. When I attach it the camera says "No Lens attached".

I'm going to NYC tomorrow so maybe I can pick the right one up there!?

insanityfw
11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Does the adapter need the electronic inputs (the 5 little gold circles like on the stock lens)? I ordered from Ebay and it dosen't have those. When I attach it the camera says "No Lens attached".

I'm going to NYC tomorrow so maybe I can pick the right one up there!?

I think I had to tell the camera in one of the menus to allow the camera to work without lens.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not with my camera right now, so I can't remember exactly how this works.

I think when using manual lenses you will want to switch to manual settings.

I think if you google using the GH1 without lens you should find where the setting is.

Best,

J.

asteele10
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Found it. Its in the menu "Use without lens" - ON. Now if I could just get the adapter off my lens. I can't seem to get it to budge. Any trick to this (I know there all different)? It literally won't move.

saaby
11-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Found it. Its in the menu "Use without lens" - ON. Now if I could just get the adapter off my lens. I can't seem to get it to budge. Any trick to this (I know there all different)? It literally won't move.

Well there should be some kind of button on the adaptor to release the lens, much like there's a button on the camera body to release the lens (Or adaptor, as the case may be). Perhaps you're aware of that already, but it's just a place to start.

Ben_B
11-28-2009, 10:11 AM
What kind of adapter do you have? On my Ciecio7 you have to pull back (toward body) on the little button/switch and sometimes it doesn't want to pull back because it is pushing into the adapter so you kind of have to lift with your nail as you pull back.