PDA

View Full Version : IMAGE STABILIZER (IS) for video mode on 7d

Ronster
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I wanted to know that while in video mode on the 7d, if a lens has it; is the Image Stabilizer (IS) the way to go?

If I am just hand holding the camera and shooting video, again a lens has it should I engage the (IS)?

If you are on Glide Cam or on red rock micro unit would you have the (IS) on (those are technically image stabilizing systems themselves)?

How about on sticks would you use it?

Also I noticed pretty much all the L series lenses don't have Image Stabilization (IS).....is it not needed for those lenses?

I heard from a few people not to use the Image Stabilization for video...on the still cameras (IS) is more used for still photography.

Could someone please chime in and give me some advise?

Abaddon
11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
You may wanna run tests, with and without. I would generally stay away from IS just because there may be added blur. But I guess it depends on the lens. I have IS on my Canon L 28-105. It makes noise while activated and when the footage is played back, the noise level is severely amplified.

ydgmdlu
11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I wanted to know that while in video mode on the 7d, if a lens has it; is the Image Stabilizer (IS) the way to go?
Some people say that IS is necessary for good handheld, some people disagree... The only way to be sure is to go to a camera store or rent lenses and test for yourself. Everyone seems to agree that IS is most important on longer focal lengths, such as anything above 50mm.

Note that in addition to noise, IS will drain your battery faster, cause overheating faster, and might occasionally cause "bounciness" in the footage.

If I am just hand holding the camera and shooting video, again a lens has it should I engage the (IS)?IS is useful specifically for handheld camera work. If you're not going to use it, then you might as well not have an IS lens at all.

If you are on Glide Cam or on red rock micro unit would you have the (IS) on (those are technically image stabilizing systems themselves)?Leave it off.

How about on sticks would you use it?Canon and other manufacturers specifically recommend that you deactivate IS when using a tripod.

Also I noticed pretty much all the L series lenses don't have Image Stabilization (IS).....is it not needed for those lenses?The L series lenses DO have IS; it's just not commonly found in prime lenses anywhere, for some reason. (Presumably, it's because zoom lenses are slower than prime lenses. IS is used to reduce motion blur, allowing for slower shutter speeds for still photography, and thus better low-light performance.) And there are many more prime lens models than zoom lens models.