PDA

View Full Version : Hood loupe or viewfinder?

JackBayer
11-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi,

so I built myself a handheld rig pretty much like an oldschool 16mm camera.
One hand is holding it from underneath, the other is on the follow focus and my eye is pressed against the viewfinder.

I am wondering if someone could tell me if itīs easier to focus manually in the viewfinder or on the lcd WITH a hoodloupe attached to it?

I know the viewfinder has higher resolution, but maybe a hoodloupe evens that out or something.

Thanks!

Ben_B
11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Nope.

The viewfinder is higher resolution and that's what matters. The hoodloupe might make things slightly more stable but then again it might not. Focusing with just the LCD with no focus assist (while recording) and a soft lens is nigh impossible and the hoodloupe does nothing to fix this, and no amount of magnification will.. The LCD also ghosts a bit and makes the footage look little too bright (but the viewfinder is a little too dark so it kind of evens out) and I prefer looking at the viewfinder if the situation warrants. I would recommend investing in some sort of eyecup...thats what I plan to do but haven't had the time yet...even something with a pretty poor fit will make it more comfortable and reduce light leak.

AdrianF
11-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I'd agree largely with what Ben says. Combining the EVF and LCD really is a capable combo and if you are in good light, then the LCD, maybe with just a regular hood attached, can function pretty well. I tested the camera out on snow for the first time this week and the only real problem I found was light leak in the EVF, a problem with a lot of cameras. I think this is best fixed with a cine style rubber eyecup.

The only advantage I can see of the hoodloupe is, if you're shoulder mounting it might give you the correct distance to cradle the viewfinder into your eye, depending on the setup your using.

JackBayer
11-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Alright, thanks for the insights!