PDA

View Full Version : 14 AMAZING Canon 5d mark ii videos !

NathanPresley
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
This is a collection of the 14 visually best videos ive seen with Canon 5d mark ii.
There is some really great stuff in here. check it out

http://vimeo.com/channels/canon

thoughts ?

NathanPresley
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Do you guys think you could shoot a film with this camera ?

Matty_g
11-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I dont believe the 5d works with film... :P

bwwd
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM
yes you could shoot motion picture with 5d,but its 30p would have to be converted to 24/25 and shutter kept quite high to avoid ugly 30p blur and give better blur free frames for converting.
You can shoot with anything ,even your cellphone,but 5d will be closer to look of the motion picture known from tv or cinema of course.
30p movement with low shutter looks pathetic,like interlaced.

ikander
11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow...the production design in that "Solitude" one is out of this world

djkarn105
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow...the production design in that "Solitude" one is out of this world

That's something I've been thinking about a lot recently. These videos, aside from being technically well crafted, all ooze a sense of style most of the stuff I see on the internet lacks.

They have a very definite aesthetic perspective that comes across not only in how they are shot and edited, but the art direction as well. I think it's also important to look at what these videos are. Four of them are fashion ads, they're selling style so they'd better have some chops in that department. Most of the others are music videos, again, music is generally more about a mood or a feeling than a story or point of view.

Yes, this is a great camera, but for each of these videos I've seen 10 shot on the 5d ( or whatever video capable DSLR ) that are mediocre.

DChang
11-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I thought this was the "HDSLR Screening Room: Brand names not spoken here... Artistic Discussion only" forum?

ikander
11-13-2009, 05:43 AM
That's something I've been thinking about a lot recently. These videos, aside from being technically well crafted, all ooze a sense of style most of the stuff I see on the internet lacks.

They have a very definite aesthetic perspective that comes across not only in how they are shot and edited, but the art direction as well. I think it's also important to look at what these videos are. Four of them are fashion ads, they're selling style so they'd better have some chops in that department. Most of the others are music videos, again, music is generally more about a mood or a feeling than a story or point of view.

Yes, this is a great camera, but for each of these videos I've seen 10 shot on the 5d ( or whatever video capable DSLR ) that are mediocre.

People often spend so much time focusing on the gear, that they often do little when it comes to actual production design and location scouing(something I'm definitely guilty of). For instance, all the props in solitude--from the vintage wallpaper to the guy's hat are just little details that "sell" the production.

For my next short I'm going to work really hard to add these type of little flourishes.

Dizkoteck
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
iKander

You pretty much nailed the spot when I was viewing the videos. They were amazing! As much as I hate getting toy-envy, it just keeps coming back especially when the next new thing pops up every year (to meet yearly sale goals).
So what do you think is missing? what do you think is the thing that "sells" the production?
art direction? styling?

f64manray
11-13-2009, 05:51 PM
iKander

You pretty much nailed the spot when I was viewing the videos. They were amazing! As much as I hate getting toy-envy, it just keeps coming back especially when the next new thing pops up every year (to meet yearly sale goals).
So what do you think is missing? what do you think is the thing that "sells" the production?
art direction? styling?

Light, light, light. Did I mention light? So much time is spent discussing cameras and lenses. The camera needs to meet the bar, but after that it means little. It's all about capturing light.

Geoff_R
11-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Light, light, light. Did I mention light? So much time is spent discussing cameras and lenses. The camera needs to meet the bar, but after that it means little. It's all about capturing light.
I think this is even more important than production design... good light, be in natural or the efforts of man, is crucial. I've seen a few short films or spots that have had good money pumped into a location or production design, but it still comes off amateurish due to shoddy lighting.

snowleopard
11-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree, completely. 1000%. It's light, light, light. Just as F64 says. Take a look at what someone like Sven Nykvist did, mostly just by mastering light.

A huge reason why some of these films, such as Solitude look so great isn't so much the production value, even the camera - they probably would have looked good on the DVX100 - it's that it's very well lit, and the outdoor scenes shot in either nice reflections in shadows, magic hour, or under veils of clouds.