PDA

View Full Version : Video Metadata

MR Fanny
11-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Ok, when I import images into adobe bridge I can see useful metadata such as ISO, shutter speed even with manual lenses.

Just want to know if metadata is recorded for video clips also? When you preview on camera you can see settings used but I have yet to find it when importing into a third party software such as adobe bridge.

cheers.

Park Edwards
11-11-2009, 05:50 AM
nah, nothing out there for video. just a paper and pencil on set. or slate

tflak
11-11-2009, 08:06 AM
If you shoot in 720 MJPEG, it will record a still with the metadata along with the video. Suppose you could set everything the way you want, shoot a few seconds of MJPEG and then switch to 720p 60.

But a pen and paper, slate, or even recording your settings in the audio seems simpler.

Ben_B
11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Low on the firmware update wishlist is metadata for AVCHD video...I don't know how it would survive transcoding but it would be really nice to have on camera...lets say I'm shooting at 1/60 shutter and look down and it happens to say 1/50...it'd be nice to know how many takes I messed the shutter speed up for...

dvbrother
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Chalk up another advantage to the Canon DSLRs, I guess. I believe there's a third-party plug-in on the horizon for Final Cut that will read ISO, aperture, shutter settings etc. and will import this info. It will also use the Date and Time stamp to generate a sort of time code. Alas, I don't think this can be done with the GH1. Bummer.

Park Edwards
11-11-2009, 11:24 AM
you can always snap a picture before every video clip. it'll have all your meta data in there.....although, it won't have your lens or aperture on there.

AdrianF
11-11-2009, 01:25 PM
You could always tap the LCD or take a snapshot from the composite output, but then there is also the pencil, notebook and audio recording, which is probably just as easy.

dvbrother
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
If you're shooting double system sound and are using a clapper (a slate), you could write some of this info on the clapper. That way you'll have a visual reference at the head of every clip. I should have thought of that before!

noirist
11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Has anyone looked at the other files in the PRIVATE directory? I'm wondering the thumbnail images in the PRIVATE/AVCHD/AVCHDTN directory have any shooting metadata.

MR Fanny
11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Has anyone looked at the other files in the PRIVATE directory? I'm wondering the thumbnail images in the PRIVATE/AVCHD/AVCHDTN directory have any shooting metadata.

yeah i was thinking on the same lines as the clips are always accompanied by another file or two. anyone remember if the accompanying photo importing software reads these files? I installed it once then deleted it but forgot to take notice.

yeah talking seems the simplest solution, something abbreviated like 50-100-4 for SSpeed-ISO-AP. i can imagine all the strange looks when im shooting on the fly...ha

pailes
11-12-2009, 01:34 AM
No it doesn't. But it does not make sense either because the settings can change on a per-frame-basis in the video.

MR Fanny
11-13-2009, 01:53 AM
can the CPI and MPL files be used in any way? is it ok for me to just ignore them altogether?

pailes
11-13-2009, 03:02 AM
can the CPI and MPL files be used in any way? is it ok for me to just ignore them altogether?
Yes they can. If you want to backup AVCHD data I recommend to keep the entire AVCHD structure and additional files.

MR Fanny
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
in what way are they important other than if you want to play the files back via the cam or through to a tv or something? Its a pain to batch rename the video files and then those files, and more of a pain if you decide to rename again.

pailes
11-14-2009, 12:45 AM
in what way are they important other than if you want to play the files back via the cam or through to a tv or something?
Well it's part of the AVCHD standard and if you remove them it's no longer valid AVCHD content. It might be fine for you to just deal with the bare transport streams but you never know what the future might hold for AVCHD in terms of tools and programs. Maybe the situation will arise and you wish you had those files.

Its a pain to batch rename the video files and then those files, and more of a pain if you decide to rename again.
Why rename the files at all? Do you also rename the files of your digital photos?

MR Fanny
11-14-2009, 06:46 AM
fair enough argument to keep them. i ask the question because i see a lot of people are transcoding their originals to a workable format on MAC. whether or not they archive their original AVCHD files is another matter.

I like to rename my files if i shoot diff number of scenes so i can identify which shots belong to which scene. saves me guessing which odd number it is out of the bunch. I also batch rename my photos too to categorise them in general not individually. Some people like to rename the folder, I prefer the files. each to their own i guess.