PDA

View Full Version : New Ricoh camera

TrueIndigo
11-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Just saw the write up on DPreview about the Ricoh GXR camera. Full marks for inovation (each lens has a built-in sensor and image processor!) but I was kind've disappointed I wouldn't be able to chose my own lenses. The video capability with the 50mm lens option was 1280 x 720 x 24 fps (motion jpeg), though I couldn't see anything about datarate. Price of camera body and a typical lens seems to push this thing into the Panasonic GH1 arena, but you'll be limited to only the lenses they will make for this system...

shaocaholica
11-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Seems like there is a serious lack of manual controls in movie mode but a small player like Ricoh might change that if there is enough market pressure without worrying about internal marketing politics.

raymondluo
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Modular but simple system. Since it's all interchangeable, there certainly is potential for them to develop a sensor dedicated for stills, and another to be pro video. Inbuilt lenses are a downer though..

TrueIndigo
11-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Yeh, I like the potential of their modular idea, but why couldn't they just go that bit further and give the user a choice of separate lenses as well? Why can't they see that's a big problem for many people?

Al MacLeod
11-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Yeh, I like the potential of their modular idea, but why couldn't they just go that bit further and give the user a choice of separate lenses as well? Why can't they see that's a big problem for many people?

It's like herding cattle...you can't give the cows any options except the ones you provide. You don't want to lose control of the market!

Ben_B
11-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Worst...idea....ever. (The camera not anyone's posts.)

dadoboy
11-14-2009, 06:35 AM
It looks like they made it out of chocolate.

TrueIndigo
11-14-2009, 04:58 PM
What! You mean there's chocolate underneath the foil?

Thinking about all this modular approach, you know what I'd like? Be able to use an old SLR body, fix a FF or crop sensor into the film compartment with a cable-out to a sort of "databack" (dropped into your pocket with a long cable, or fixed somewhere to the camera with a short cable) housing the processor, battery and storage unit. Be able to change the sensor as and when, be able to upgrade the processor/storage as technology gets better. All the while, keep using the same camera/lenses I bought in the 1980s! And all this for around 700. Pardon my innocence...Just dreaming. Whatever happened to that efilm concept?

Martin Koch
11-15-2009, 01:27 AM
There's a good discusssion at The Online Photographer (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/11/mike-and-ctein-discuss-the-ricoh-gxr-announcement.html).

The MJPEG data rate is about 4 MB/s. Nothing to get excited about as it is in the same range as the Olympus E-P1 or Panasonic GF1. The complete lack of manual controls in movie mode is very dissapointing. At least they could offer a dedicated Stills/Movie unit some day. But I doubt it.

TrueIndigo
11-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks Martin, interesting link, though the more I read about the camera the less I like it -- for video use, at least.
Cheers.