PDA

View Full Version : Bike Chase and a test of Logic.

greymog
11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
This is some footage we caught last winter in Hamra, Beirut. We winged all of this, there's a whole lot that's visually wrong with it, but it was fun, and nevertheless the feedback I'm getting tells me the audio is hiding a lot of mistakes and making it feel good regardless.

I have a lot of problems with it but still I had fun grading, it's a really rough thirty seconds. I had this dslr and sold it, since we can't say what it is, I'm sure you can guess once you look. Still, it took a day to shoot and two days to cut up real rough and write a tune to, using logic, that i just switched to and love.

Cheers all, would love to know what you think.

http://www.vimeo.com/7471214

Also for my rants on all this and everything else

http://tarekkandil.blogspot.com/ the chase is on here as well as other posts. I get into a bit more detail about what I like and don't like, this is all just fun footage. Wouldn't use it in a professional setting but want to gauge a reaction.

Tarek

Jester2138
11-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Yay for Apple loops!

greymog
11-07-2009, 01:09 AM
they're gorgeous aren't they. man, i still ahve a hard time swallowing this, probably wouldn't do it since i play music, but you can really use those? like on a job?

In lebanon we don't buy original software purely because most things don't ship here. An apple store just opened and i'm sooooo happy to be working out of a box.

I know this sounds sketchy but damn, this place is mad when it comes to dvd copies. They're filthy filthy copies that don't work.

As for the video, i'm cutting up footage caught with a ccd just to see if viewer (who isn't into dv and tech) can feel the difference.

I have a feeling the average viewer will say the jelly wobble helps the speed. Heard that a coupla times, as tech heads cringed at the jelly.

snowleopard
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Love the look at Beirut, and 2.35:1. Wish more people would shoot in widescreen.

Continuity was an issue to me much more than jelly wobble. Didn't care for the undercranked shot(s), but liked the tele shots. Sound was good, don't know how well the music fit to me. Curious what others say.

Show us more.

greymog
11-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the comment. Continuity is huge mess up of course, as we just went out on a bike and didn't really write it. Of course I can't bring myself to shoot anything this year without drawing every shot. I'm cutting a bit longer, trying to match the actual streets, music has changed. Gimme a coupla days and I'll post again.

snowleopard have you been to beirut ever? it's a fun place to shoot, I find that everyone gives it the same character, and it would be nice to shoot it as not necessarily a torn and hurt place. I think it can be badass.

widescreen rocks. I come from a fine arts background, i'm thinking of even trying a short at 3:1 or cropping to other weird fits. No work is ever done for distribution i'm at the point to think about that even, so i don't really care as long as i can finally pull off narrative.

I'm taking my first shot at dialog in my life this week. That should be interesting, would appreciate any brutal criticism ;)

Thanks all for the comments... its the first thing i've posted here.

Tarek

snowleopard
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi Tarek - I have never been to Beirut. I have been throughout Central Asia, which is where my screen name comes from.

I like your approach to widescreen, and experimenting as such. As you say, it's not like this is going to end up distributed, so try new things, definitely.