PDA

View Full Version : Candy Apple Red (trailer for short film shot on GH1)

dvbrother
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm thrilled with how the GH1 has helped me create a project that looks like something worthy of the big screen!

http://www.vimeo.com/7449911

jonE5
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
wow, looks amazing. I just finished my first day of shooting yesterday for my next short on the D90.

Im just amazed at how good your footage looks though, what did you use for lighting? It just looks so much more amazing than anything i can come up with.

What did you use for camera stabilization?

Good stuff.

staypuft85
11-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Looks great, nice work!

stip
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
looks very "official", great acting too!! Too bad the noise level of the audio seems a little loud, but then again - I'm a sound fetish, maybe others don't bother.

Rakesh Jacob
11-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Looks awesome man, when do we get to see the whole thing?! :)

dvbrother
11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I plan to be more diligent with the sound mix on the final edit of the short. I got impatient and edited this trailer in the middle of the night and only monitored audio with computer speakers. To be fair, most of the dialog you heard is from a party scene where live rock music is supposed to be blaring in the background. I had the actors wear earplugs to make them talk louder as if they were talking over music. But you're right. I think the input levels were too low and I had to boost them quite a bit, thus bringing up the noise. Luckily, that problem only exists on the early clips.

jonE5
11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Care to comment on your lighting setup that i asked about?

dvbrother
11-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Im just amazed at how good your footage looks though, what did you use for lighting? It just looks so much more amazing than anything i can come up with.

What did you use for camera stabilization?

During the day loft stuff, the key light was always natural light coming from the windows. I got lucky and it was overcast so the exposure level and soft quality stayed consistent all day long. We filled with 4 foot Kino Flos. We had 4-bank Kinos but usually just had one or two bulbs on.
For the night time party stuff at the table, we backlit them with a 575 watt HMI hung from the ceiling (the scene takes place outdoors but we shot it inside a loft), and then keyed the actresses with a combination of a Chinese lantern and little 200w fresnels.

As far as camera stabilzation, I'm not sure what you mean. I did use a dolly on a couple of the shots. That's one thing I spent a little money on...renting a dolly and tracks. The rest of the shots were either on a tripod or hand-held. I didn't use any kind of Steadicam rig.

stip
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I plan to be more diligent with the sound mix on the final edit of the short. I got impatient and edited this trailer in the middle of the night and only monitored audio with computer speakers. To be fair, most of the dialog you heard is from a party scene where live rock music is supposed to be blaring in the background. I had the actors wear earplugs to make them talk louder as if they were talking over music. But you're right. I think the input levels were too low and I had to boost them quite a bit, thus bringing up the noise. Luckily, that problem only exists on the early clips.

to be fair myself, I listened to it with my studio headphones/soundcard and they're pretty merciless when it comes to revealing noise, but reading your post I'm positiv that audio will come out well and keep up with the great images and acting.

Anthonyb
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Panasonic does the best 24P period. This video was another great example of that. Great lighting too.

ydgmdlu
11-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Panasonic does the best 24P period.
??? What does that mean? Please clarify...

Ian-T
11-07-2009, 07:57 AM
lol..yeah I'm curious also....

Nathyn
11-07-2009, 09:04 AM
And what kind of color correction did you do, if any?

-Nate

dvbrother
11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Not much color correction. I added contrast on a few of the shots. Some of the close-ups I used Magic Bullet Looks to add some flattering diffusion. Note to self: on close-ups, always have the GH1's sharpness set to minus 2. Otherwise you get edge detail that reveals every wrinkle and pimple on actor's faces...even if they're young and attractive. Hence the post diffusion. In the future, I'll only increase the sharpness for extreme wide shots where you want a crisp, high-resolution look.

yommytacoe
11-08-2009, 12:10 PM
looks really great. The one thing that bothered me was the background song. I thought it was kinda lame. Everything else was top notch.

dvbrother
11-08-2009, 12:23 PM
looks really great. The one thing that bothered me was the background song. I thought it was kinda lame. Everything else was top notch.
Fair enough. I'm most likely from a different generation than you and therefore my musical tastes are different. At least I didn't use something like Kenny G! :-)

stip
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
The one thing that bothered me was the background song. I thought it was kinda lame.

I like it, I also think it fits well

cinebuddy
11-10-2009, 07:54 AM
This looked extremely good!

visugeek
11-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Really nice job, very high quality footage.

SpenserS
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
When can we see this short!