PDA

View Full Version : Achieving videos

ajamils
11-05-2009, 08:39 AM
The more I use my GH1 the more and more video clips I'm having to store (which is not a bad problem to have :) ) and I was just wondering how do you guys achieve videos ? Is it better to remove pulldown and then save the files as individual clips or just edit the clips and then save the video as one file ?

Also is the a software (for PC) that I can use to organize the clips ?

Revsta
11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
you mean archive?

ajamils
11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
you mean archive?

Yes. Fixed the type in the title.

Ozpeter
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Here I simply copy the entire card into a folder every so often, and I give the folder a name always starting with the date (yy-mm-dd) and a one or two word keyword name describing the contents. One could also create a simple text file with further descriptive material to include in the folder, and you can then use the standard Windows search function to find key words in such texts. Very simple, but that's all I need.

One should of course then backup each folder to another drive too.

vurfing
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
You can use the software that comes with the camera. It will organise your pictures into folders and can separate pictures from movies too.

AdrianF
11-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Here I simply copy the entire card into a folder every so often, and I give the folder a name always starting with the date (yy-mm-dd) and a one or two word keyword name describing the contents. One could also create a simple text file with further descriptive material to include in the folder, and you can then use the standard Windows search function to find key words in such texts. Very simple, but that's all I need.

One should of course then backup each folder to another drive too.

I'm using your method and so far so good. It means that you can keep the option to ingest to FCP etc. or come back and encode individual files with Voltaic for example. The only niggle I have with archiving or managing the GH1 files is the file numbering, which always resets to 000> for each new card/reformat.

Joe Shaw
11-06-2009, 12:16 AM
This is indeed annoying and one of my great hopes for improvement on the next version. I currently have a master project folder and then inside that folders labelled card001, card002 etc. I then just copy the whole folder structure from a card into those folders.

Compared to P2 the amount of storage required is tiny - so archiving is less of a strain than it was...