PDA

View Full Version : Music Video with Rebel T1i, super special private screening just 4 U!

Rakesh Jacob
11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
EDIT: Just went public, we did a 3 day exclusive premiere with WSHH where we got over 6 million views!!! F--- MTV, they don't show videos anyway!

Just finished editing this last night, really this morning.
Shot with the Rebel T1i end of September before the 7D came out.
Locking in the right exposure is a pain in the ass but still doable.
Shot with just the 50mm f1.8. There is a whole another section of shots with the HVX for the wides that I didn't use. I'm a bokeh head, what can I say, at least I can admit it :)
Recorded at 30p obviously but edited at 24p by slowing the footage down to 80%. The music was played back at 125% for the performances to compensate.

Hope you like

http://vimeo.com/7392418
password: eos

EDIT: The format of the song is very unusual. It's not the typical intro, chorus, verse, chorus, etc... It's a long intro, long ass verse and long outro with chick singing. Strangely it works.

stip
11-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Very nice work!
I remember watching only some parts of it you once uploaded. I love the song's format, works well indeed!

killacam
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
good stuff johnny

Jordan_S
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Really outstanding work, Johnny. I like the transitions you used and it tells a good story. Seems to me the only thing that was constraining you (well, not really; you worked around it) on the t1i was the lack of 24P. You used the 50mm 1.8? I didn't see any hexagonal bokeh which I've come to usually dislike on this lens. Great song, too.

Rakesh Jacob
11-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Thnx for checking it out guys.

Really outstanding work, Johnny. I like the transitions you used and it tells a good story. Seems to me the only thing that was constraining you (well, not really; you worked around it) on the t1i was the lack of 24P. You used the 50mm 1.8? I didn't see any hexagonal bokeh which I've come to usually dislike on this lens. Great song, too.

The lighting was very even because it was so overcast, but had there been distinct points of light like a street scene at night or something, then you would have seen those hexagonal difussion points in the bokeh. But I have some much better lenses now and some more coming in, that's why I'm finally selling my old gear, normally I'm a ginormous pack rat. Guess I still am, I'm just upgrading what I'm pack rating LOL
At least lenses hold their value unlike cameras, I really do love this whole DSLR thing!

killacam
11-03-2009, 03:50 AM
good stuff johnny

ha I guess I should have said rakesh. anyway, nice to see you pulling this off with the t1i by the way- it makes me feel a little better ordering my cheapo cam while I pinch my pennies for the next upcoming announcement of an announcement of the red scarlet.

Rakesh Jacob
11-03-2009, 04:12 AM
No problem man, when I joined this board back in the summer of 2005, I had no intention of being a filmmaker, I was doing research for a business plan to turn my record label into a multimedia company. Johnny Cola was just one of the stupid sounding nicks I used ot use in yahoo chat rooms. Remember those? LOL
I put in a request for a name change but... nada

Jordan_S
11-03-2009, 05:03 AM
If it's a change to your real name, they'll do it faster than green grass through a goose.

Which lenses did you order?

Rakesh Jacob
11-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Since this video I got in:
-Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 7D kit lens, I actually like it, I didn't think I would
-Canon 50mm f1.4, classic all purpose, if I could only use one lens, this would be it
-Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, pricey, Tamron has a simmilar lens coming out at almost half the price, but I'm very happy with this, no remorse, just want people to know there are good options

Ordered and on their way:
-Sigma 28mm f1.8 Macro, I went with these over the Canons because of the macro capability, should come in handy, and Sigma is known for decent quality
-Opteka 85mm f1.4, this is the cheapest version of the Samyang 85mm lens, I almost certain that the build quality is shoddy at best but since this lens will get limited use, I figured it'll be fine
-Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, got these for my T1is and I plan to get more 7Ds so this will be a cheap alternative when I get those compared to the Canon 17-55mm

On the short term wish list:
-Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, can't find these anywhere in stock for Canon :(
-More Canon 50mm f1.4s when I get more 7Ds

On the long term wish list:
The ultimate collection of L lenses when the following happens, the Universe aligns in my favor, mad money falls out of the sky as a result and a full frame Canon DSLR with DigicV is released, 5DmkIII maybe! It's gonna happen, I know it :)

Ian-T
11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Wow, that's ALL the T1? It came out excellent. What's the codec data rate in that cam? Did you do the music also? Like you said it's not your typical music format but it works. Did you do any color grading or is this straight from the camera (not sure if you mentioned it)? I liked the addition of those dramatic scenes...kinda took me back to "The Wire"....

As usual great job..

Rakesh Jacob
11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow, that's ALL the T1? It came out excellent. What's the codec data rate in that cam? Did you do the music also? Like you said it's not your typical music format but it works. Did you do any color grading or is this straight from the camera (not sure if you mentioned it)? I liked the addition of those dramatic scenes...kinda took me back to "The Wire"....

As usual great job..

Thnx man. All T1i, I shot a bunch of wides and couple other scenes with the HVX but decided to keep it all T1i, I like the look that much better. I believe the bit rate is somewhere around 27mbps. I didn't do the music, the last Trae album I produced music on must have been '04 or '05, I quit making music around that time. All the dramatic pieces were graded; slightly crushed the blacks and tinted it green. The rest of the music video I set up in camera for the look I wanted and only corrected a couple clips to even out brightness and 2 shots where I corrected for white balance. I really trust the LCDs on these cameras, they really work well for my eyes, focusing is a little harder on wider shots but overall I feel confident with what I see. A ZFinder or some kinda Loupe would definitly be usefull in bright sunlight though, that's next on the wishlists :) A shoulder rig would be nice, but I'm ok for now going straight up hand held. Since this one I've been getting better at hand held like the club scenes from the music video I did with the 7D.
Best thing I've done since I've gotten into filmmaking is go DSLR! It has it's issues but the benefits MORE THAN make up for it, I've never had more fun or an easier time making things look good. :)

edsonkwushu
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Johnny,

Great work man. Awesome to see it all strung together. Love the narrative intercut with the artists. What's next for you man?

p.s. I actually would like to see a slightly more aggressive color grading on the narrative pieces to separate them from the musicians. Maybe something more "grim" or "cold", you know what I'm saying?

Ian-T
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Best thing I've done since I've gotten into filmmaking is go DSLR! It has it's issues but the benefits MORE THAN make up for it, I've never had more fun or an easier time making things look good. :)
I hear you. About ten years back a buddy of mine had a friend that was shooting music videos and after school specials for HBO and other networks. The cams he rented back then were in the range of $100,000. In watching some of your work I have to sometimes ask myself “what separates your stuff from what I see on MTV or BET etc” …and the answer is always nothing. What amazes me is that no one is going to be able to discern the quality of camera used to put these videos together. As long as you continue to get the types of shots you’ve been capturing and keep the content worth watching people will continue to eat it up as nothing but professional work. Good stuff.

Rakesh Jacob
11-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey Johnny,

Great work man. Awesome to see it all strung together. Love the narrative intercut with the artists. What's next for you man?

p.s. I actually would like to see a slightly more aggressive color grading on the narrative pieces to separate them from the musicians. Maybe something more "grim" or "cold", you know what I'm saying?

Thnx man.

I really wanted to use a MUCH MORE agressive look for the narrative. But J-Dawg, the lead actor's skin tone was too dark and his features kept getting too burried with various looks I was trying. It was a hard call for me to go with this tame look, but I thought he did an amazing job and what was best about it for me was the subtlety with which he played that part and those subtle facial gestures would get lost for me in the more agressive grades.

edsonkwushu
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
That totally makes sense. Can't wait to see some more stuff from you man.

Rakesh Jacob
11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Matter of fact, that's why I used the "film clutter" composites as transitions cause there wasn't a dramatic enough difference in grading for my tastes :(

danielisaiah
11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Matter of fact, that's why I used the "film clutter" composites as transitions cause there wasn't a dramatic enough difference in grading for my tastes :(

I'm assuming your using FInal Cut and these transitions come included? I love those "Film Clutter" transitions and I have been looking for something similar for Vegas but I cant find anything.

I thought the video was really cool man. I was a little melow color wise but other than that I could have been watching this video on MTV. That scene with the tinted blue Charger rolling by the the bus stop made my heart skip a beat dude. I didn't grow up in such a great hood and it took me right back. good job!

Rakesh Jacob
11-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Thnx man

Actually I edit in Vegas. These were composited from stock footage from ArtBeats.
Check out http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?c=1&keywords=film+clutter

Yeah the colors are really mellow, especially for me but I just wanted a different vibe than what I normally do.

Rakesh Jacob
11-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Well I can finaly go public on my sites with this!!!
We did a 3 day exclusive premiere with WSHH and got over 6 million views.
Now that it's off of their front space I can put it where I want :)

thisisapocalypse
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
-Opteka 85mm f1.4, this is the cheapest version of the Samyang 85mm lens, I almost certain that the build quality is shoddy at best but since this lens will get limited use, I figured it'll be fine

I have the Rokinon version of this lens and I think you'll be surprised by the build quality. It's no Canon L lens by any measure, but it's not bad at all - actually I quite like the way it feels and I use almost all "L" quality, professional lenses, I have very few "consumer" grade lenses. The lens hood is actually the only thing that feels really flimsy about it, but that can be easily replaced. I think you'll be impressed by it, especially for the money. I'm very happy with mine until I upgrade to a Canon 85mm f1.2 L...but at what...5-6x less expensive than the EOS version of that lens, it's impressively good...I'm just a speed demon when it comes to lenses so I'll eventually pony up for the Canon 85mm f1.2 L. Until then, this suits me very well and can deliver professional quality results.

Rakesh Jacob
11-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Good to know man!
I'm a total Bokeh-Head which is kind of frowned upon on the cinematographer side of the fence a little bit, oh well, I like what I like, AND I'm dying to get the Canon 85 1.2L, I can spend all day on Flickr looking at pictures made with that lens :)
I need to get a big project in soon so I can grab a bunch of L primes, I dream about L lenses like most guys dream about women LOL

J Davis
11-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Although no one was walking you still had to pull focus for those racks and you were spot on.
Which leads me to a quick question for you Mr Cola. What are you using to monitor? (for accurate focus)
Or are you using the on camera LCD and putting tape on your lens?

BTW - Nice transitions with the flame

Rakesh Jacob
11-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I've just been using the lcd straight up. I personally like the Canon LCDs, they work well for me for focus and exposure, there are better solutions for sure but it kinda defeats the SLR form factor and portability. I think a Z-Finder for sunny conditions would be nice though

Can Scanner
11-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Gorgeous! Very very pro.

f64manray
11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
F--- MTV, they don't show videos anyway!

Screw their music Rakesh, show me their crib dammit !

Outstanding stuff. I just love it when a cheap assed camera looks that good. I just want to ask you to do one thing. Post that video on Red User in the "other cameras" section. :-) ....of course they'll just post a pic of a T1i zone plate test in response.

brdplya1
11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Good look..I actually worked with Trae back in 07 for a documentary I was working on about DJ Screw. He's a total professional and was cool to work with. This video is amazing.keep up the good work.

Rakesh Jacob
12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Gorgeous! Very very pro.
thnx man

Outstanding stuff. I just love it when a cheap assed camera looks that good. I just want to ask you to do one thing. Post that video on Red User in the "other cameras" section. :-) ....of course they'll just post a pic of a T1i zone plate test in response.
Yeah I posted a short test clip when I first shot it, but I havnt wanted to be back on that forum since, just a weird place with bizzarre, diehard, blinders on fanboyism.

Good look..I actually worked with Trae back in 07 for a documentary I was working on about DJ Screw. He's a total professional and was cool to work with. This video is amazing.keep up the good work.
Thnx man

MTV looks like they are gonna pick up the video, hopefully they wont make me change too much more, they allready made me take out the blood, which kinda takes the wind out of the story line... :(

edsonkwushu
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Yo man, that's cool that MTV is going to take the video!

firemountain
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
WOW great work man!

The whole video was composed very beautifully. Personally i think it would have been nice to show more of the story during the time the girl is singing, she kinda gets in your face and demands attention, when really you wanna be feeling the harsh weight of the damaged world introduced by the grim faces and broken places moving through the story.

Awesome work!

dantewaters
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Since this video I got in:
-Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 7D kit lens, I actually like it, I didn't think I would
-Canon 50mm f1.4, classic all purpose, if I could only use one lens, this would be it
-Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, pricey, Tamron has a simmilar lens coming out at almost half the price, but I'm very happy with this, no remorse, just want people to know there are good options

Ordered and on their way:
-Sigma 28mm f1.8 Macro, I went with these over the Canons because of the macro capability, should come in handy, and Sigma is known for decent quality
-Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, got these for my T1is and I plan to get more 7Ds so this will be a cheap alternative when I get those compared to the Canon 17-55mm

On the short term wish list:
-Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, can't find these anywhere in stock for Canon :(
-More Canon 50mm f1.4s when I get more 7Ds

On the long term wish list:
The ultimate collection of L lenses when the following happens, the Universe aligns in my favor, mad money falls out of the sky as a result and a full frame Canon DSLR with DigicV is released, 5DmkIII maybe! It's gonna happen, I know it :)

Good work I like your color effects that is overlaid on the footage.

franck
12-06-2009, 10:00 PM
How do you get 7 million views! That's crazy... Congrats.

Jack Daniel Stanley
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
No problem man, when I joined this board back in the summer of 2005, I had no intention of being a filmmaker, I was doing research for a business plan to turn my record label into a multimedia company. Johnny Cola was just one of the stupid sounding nicks I used ot use in yahoo chat rooms. Remember those? LOL
I put in a request for a name change but... nada
What do you want it changed to - Rakesh Jacob?

Rakesh Jacob
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Yo man, that's cool that MTV is going to take the video!
Trae walked it in to them last week, the official submission review is supposed to be today, hopefully no more changes :)

WOW great work man!

The whole video was composed very beautifully. Personally i think it would have been nice to show more of the story during the time the girl is singing, she kinda gets in your face and demands attention, when really you wanna be feeling the harsh weight of the damaged world introduced by the grim faces and broken places moving through the story.

Awesome work!
Yeah I can see that, I think I was just very caught up and surprised with how good the footage of her looked aesthetically that I just kept going with it LOL

Good work I like your color effects that is overlaid on the footage.
I'm a sucker for flares and flashes, this time I skipped out on the flares and just stuck with a few flashes.

How do you get 7 million views! That's crazy... Congrats.
I had to give WSHH an exclusive first so it was on top of their front page for almost 4 days. It killed me on my personal youtube page though, since I had to give them an exclusive, I couldn't post it till they took it off their front page feature section, by that time about a dozen people had allready jacked it from them and reposted it to youtube and are enjoying my numbers :( at least I brand my music videos

Rakesh Jacob
12-07-2009, 02:09 AM
What do you want it changed to - Rakesh Jacob?

That would be freaking awesome!
Thnx JDS

Jack Daniel Stanley
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Done. Thank Jason. Only he has the POWERRRRRRR .....

Vid looks great BTW.

Rakesh Jacob
12-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes thnk u Jason :)

And glad you liked the video

Stephen Mick
12-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I miss Johnny Cola.

Rakesh Jacob
12-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I miss Johnny Cola.

LOL that was one of my fav online nicks... sounds like a super cheesy wanna be internet gangsta/small time dope dealer. Had lots of fun using that name on yahoo back in the day, RIP Johnny Cola

killacam
12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I liked the Johnny Cola sn as well :(

congrats on the vid though. hope mtv approves it.

twocik23
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks really good, has a nice flow to it. I can see you went for the natural lighting look, but thought some of the black guys could have been lit a little better on some shots. Anyway nice job !!

Rakesh Jacob
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Looks really good, has a nice flow to it. I can see you went for the natural lighting look, but thought some of the black guys could have been lit a little better on some shots. Anyway nice job !!

Yeah definitly but it was just me and one other person who was really there to watch my back, we were guerilla in pretty sketchy places LOL
It would have been nice to have one more person on the crew to hold a bounce card or reflector.

edsonkwushu
12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I hate filming sketchy areas, especially when you hear people yelling stuff like "nice camera", etc.

Imaginate
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Great job on the video, you made the T1 look really good. I like the fact that you shot in some realistic locations because the energy tends to translate onto the screen if you do it right.

Speaking of sketchy locations. I once shot a modern dance video in the heart of East Vancouver. It definitely added the 'crazy' factor to the shoot. A guy who was overdosing fell flat on his face right in front of the camera. He ended up being Ok after we called an ambulance.

Rakesh Jacob
12-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Thnx Garnet

That's crazy, an OD on set, holy crap; good thing you guys were there to help him. Art saves the day once again!

Imaginate
12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
That's crazy, an OD on set, holy crap; good thing you guys were there to help him. Art saves the day once again!

One of the PA's accompanied him back to his home. The guys story was tragic and definitely gave us a new viewpoint his life. He seemed to think that he was given a new start that day.

I left the shot in the cut, it seemed to go along with the story. You can see him at 3:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQX_ID3j-IE

philiplipetz
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
loved it!

Rakesh Jacob
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
loved it!
Thnx for checking it out, glad you enjoyed it :)

One of the PA's accompanied him back to his home. The guys story was tragic and definitely gave us a new viewpoint his life. He seemed to think that he was given a new start that day.

I left the shot in the cut, it seemed to go along with the story. You can see him at 3:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQX_ID3j-IE
Really cool piece man! Is that TD Jakes in the begining? I love him, he is sooooo charasmatic and seems to have such a beautiful and sincere spirit.