PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch - a Fat Monster film

Pages : [1] 2

NOBELO
10-30-2009, 12:40 AM
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/FMposter.jpg

Produced by: Mark Johnson, Luis Sinibaldi, Tim Hyten (Fat Monster Films)
Directed/Edited: Tim Hyten
Boom Op: Blaine Golden
Shot by: Matthew Garrett
Grip/Gaffer/Superpimp: Geoff Reisner
Makeup: Marina Mestaz

Score composed by: Justin Durban
Sound Design: Brad Semenoff

Cast: Rochelle Valles - Tim Abell - David Lloyd Wilson

Shot on GH1 with Anamorphic Lenses

BTS PHOTOS: Post # 150 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=188783&page=15)

NOBELO
10-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Will have a poster and other goodies tomorrow. Once were safe.

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
ultra-last-minute! love it! get us a poster though... welcome to the fest.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 04:18 PM
So are you safe? Where's the poster?
Oh yeah: welcome in to the bloodbath.

Om Nom Nom
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM
eeep! did ya make it?!

NOBELO
10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Yea, made it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
nobelo, email me the text and any images you have for the poster and i'll hook a brotha up. soulstudioseven@me.com

NOBELO
10-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Awesome :)

Mood Niatrec
10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Good to hear, welcome to the fest!

NOBELO
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks so much....

Defcon is working on a poster. He rocks!

Edgen
10-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Good luck guys!! :)

/j

Matt Harris
10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Edgen are you not doing a thread for your film?

Matt Harris
10-31-2009, 10:09 AM
post the poster!

NOBELO
10-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Does DVXuser give you a place to post the poster? I thought they let you upload it to their server?

NOBELO
10-31-2009, 01:06 PM
I uploaded it to my server but have had problems getting it to show, I think I'm screwing up the tag.

Matt Harris
10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
yes, see the "quick reply" window that you type in? there are a few symbols above it, the red symbol farthest to the right lets you add an image - just select the poster from your harddrive and it should appear in this thread.

Matt Harris
10-31-2009, 01:09 PM
you dont need to upload to your server anymore i dont think, try my method.

Rodney V. Smith
10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
gotta use the image tag in the reply box. It's the little one with the mountain on it. paste the link to the actual file directly into there or you can use the [IMG] tags

NOBELO
10-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Finally!!

Took a while.

Rodney V. Smith
10-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Excellent! Now I can say it: NICE POSTER!

Now get out and promote the hell out of this film. Let us know who you are.

Rodney V. Smith
10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh do a banner and link it back to the thread so it's fast easy access. You make a posting and we can click on it and come back here.

Also any basic details you can give us would be cool...

Matt Harris
10-31-2009, 01:29 PM
well done sir.

NOBELO
10-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks to Defcon for the awesome poster!

Rodney V. Smith
10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
get your banner up now...

Shaun Patrick
10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Killer poster, man. Kudos, Defcon.

There definitely needs to be a poster contest this time around. So many talented graphic designers in this fest.

Matt Harris
10-31-2009, 02:15 PM
nobel i just emailed you a banner, add it to your signature.

Rodney V. Smith
10-31-2009, 02:17 PM
nobel i just emailed you a banner, add it to your signature.

no pressure, right? :grin:

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2009, 10:26 PM
I liked the simplicity of this one. I enjoy short films that are clean and don't try to over extend themselves cramming a feature into a short.

This was a "scene" that stood on its own, left me wanting more... but in the right way.

and, it was well shot...

I thought the pacing was fluid and you hit your beats well.

Thanks for sharing.

later,
jason

Noel Evans
11-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Very cool. Nicely lit, solid mood and feel. Couple of minor bloods there cut to wide opps its gone moments.

Liked the set up with the photo. Wasnt an indepth story by any means. But it was certainly a story you did a great job with.

Going to give you a gold star on sound as well.

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Very good on all fronts and one of the top entries in my opinion. If I HAD to criticize it would only be that it was a little predictable (I guessed she was a vampire 2 seconds after seeing her)... regardless, that didn't take away any of my enjoyment in watching the film at all.

Sound and music were excellent too. Pacing was really good... it didn't feel too long or too short... perfect length. I'm so glad you didn't make it longer just for the sake of forcing it to be 6 minutes long.

Big thumbs up from me!

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Excellent short. The plot was obvious in seconds and everything played out as I expected. This is probably the only failing of the whole thing, everything else was excellent.

Well done.

dust'n the callipygous
11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
i guessed what was going on early enough, but then knowing she was still alive kind of threw it off. the pacing was excellent, along with everything else about it. i just really liked the pacing in the opening.

NOBELO
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!!!

I'm making my way through the films and will be around to comment on the others as well.

Denis Haineault
11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Woah man that was excellent. The whole thing looked and sounded great! The shot where she's coming around the corner (around 3:10) is excellent and very filmic. To top it all off, she kind of looks like Frances Mcdormand there. Cool looking blood, and the monster looked very good.

My only issue is that the intro sequence (before she moves to the next room) seemed a bit long. Regardless, it all looked great.

Yet another to add to my favorites. Excellent work !

mrcheapyasui
11-01-2009, 03:38 PM
This was awesome! Unlike other people, I didn't see the ending coming at all, haha but I am generally bad at guessing that stuff. I liked the shot of her head on with the contrasting colors of the warm living room and greenish kitchen. My only suggestion is that the part where she pulls the stake out could use more blood!!

J.R. Hudson
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
This was a solid entry in all areas

I too was asking immediately "Is she a Vampire?"

No worries; I enjoyed the payoff.

The pacing, the cinematography, the score, the talent; everything works.

Seems like a bigger picture and we got a glimpse into the microcosm of that.

Awesome job

My highest rating so far.

Very gritty and real feeling. From the moment I started watching, it felt like I was in that world.

New_Zealand
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
What camera did you use?

NOBELO
11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for watching everyone. John, your comments mean a lot, seriously. When we set out to make this film we were eager to experiment with a couple things and it seems as if we accomplished most of them. I'll go into more depth later if you guys want but this was a fun project and we learned a lot.

We used the GH1 with Anamorphic Lenses

Pocusproductions
11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow! I thought this was great! The shooting was excellent, great pacing, acting was incredible. Great sound effects. Bravo!

Nitsuj
11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I believe I have watched the winner after watching Dispatch. It makes me want to get better lenses for my GH1 too but also to do a more serious film-like short. I tried hard to find something to say "this could have been better" but I haven't found anything with the actual film. The only thing I can think of is, where are those credits because I was looking for them? Other than that it was perfect in my eyes. Perfect 10 stars that is. Great job and I can't wait to see more from you.

Rodney V. Smith
11-01-2009, 06:26 PM
So who's the crew on this one? I was looking for the credits and didn't see the single frame. What gives? I liked this movie a lot and I'm really interested in who was behind the scenes as I'm sure we all are. Share please.

Charli
11-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I am not sure why was called dispatch when she called 911? I didn't really like the title didn't think it went with the film.

I did like how the actress made it so believable that she was stabbed, but the wooden stake I knew exactly which it was from the beginning so there was no surprise there for me, still the tension was good.

Also, if a police officer or sheriff saw someone bleeding or not breathing they would immediately go into paramedic mode. This officer just stood there, so that part of it was not plausible.

Kudos to the actress, job well done!

AJ Brooks
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Fortunately for me I forgot that this was MonsterFest and so I was happily surprised with the reveals of the story.

Excellent work. Beautifully shot. Simple and effective short.

NOBELO
11-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Rodney,
Not much of a crew. Me, the DP, a grip/gaffer and the makeup girl. Had a couple of other friends over but they were mostly eating all the food. Aside from that we were working with actors I've met on various projects here in L.A. and I would call them when it was time for them to come over so as to not waste their time. It was shot at my folks house and was done predominately in one night though we shot a couple of pickup shots on a different night. I enlisted the help of the wonderfully talented Justin Durban for the score. He rocked and is such a nice guy to work with.

So who's the crew on this one? I was looking for the credits and didn't see the single frame. What gives? I liked this movie a lot and I'm really interested in who was behind the scenes as I'm sure we all are. Share please.

Chris_Keaton
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I can see how 'dispatch' had a double meaning, but I guess some people didn't. :) I like the complete feel this piece had. Good job.

Jason Ramsey
11-01-2009, 08:30 PM
It was shot at my folks house

I was wondering about the blood stained carpet when I was watching it... what did you do about/for that?

NOBELO
11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
My friend happened to be getting rid of carpet from his house. So I took a square from his living room, cleaned it up and threw it in there. We were lucky it worked out because we would have beens screwed if we didn't have it.

I was wondering about the blood stained carpet when I was watching it... what did you do about/for that?

Kholi
11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Whoa buddy. Top 3 right here. Big budget cinematography right here.

Kellar42
11-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Awesome stuff!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
SPOILERS!!

Visually this was spectacular. I loved just about every frame. The lighting came off as extremely natural. That GH1 really kicks!

The lead actress was also excellent. The cop, so-so.

Although the story engaged me I felt like this was just a scene of a much longer film. It started in the middle of 'I still don't know what' and ended as expected.
Leaving me asking questions is usually a good thing but this to me was like...

"Why did the vampire call 911? Why the apology? Obviously she bit him, but he probably tried to kill her/it?"
I'm ALL for leaving things up to interpretation but there should be some sort of back story.

The VFX were quite good! Excellent really. Great closing shot.

Story issues aside this is still going to be highly rated by me. I just have to finish up with a few more.
A little more back story and I would have easily rated this my number one pick. It's pretty close as is.

Nice job, guys.

MAH

Troy Ruff
11-02-2009, 06:33 AM
yes! this was amazing film for me, this is my top two films. I think timing, lighting, camera work, makeup everything was just spot on. The actors did great! Fantastic job, I look forward to seeing more of your stuff. :)

Dauntless
11-02-2009, 08:37 AM
AWESOME!... this is the best film I've seen so far... The acting, lighting, blood, sound, video quality is top notch!.. I really liked the part when she was on the floor and kicking herself forward with one leg to reach the phone.... good job man!

Matt Harris
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
this is one of the best shorts i have ever seen in theses fests and im not just saying that because i designed the poster. :) this movie looks like its literally a scene out of a actual movie. i'm floored. and jealous - great work Nobel!

ZazaCast
11-02-2009, 08:45 AM
This film is one of my favorites. It sucked me in right from the start. I actually found myself gasping for breath with the actress. She did an outstanding job, excellent acting and I would say the best of the fest in that concern.

Every shot we see has a purpose and were executed flawlessly. The score worked great too. Nice blood (hope it came out of the carpet!). Also nice job on the VFX's.

Sorry I can't think of anything that bugged me...but that's a good thing!

Congratulations to cast & crew on a job really well done. This film gets my highest rating!

Paul Shields
11-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow - I'm gobsmacked! Makes me want to see the whole film... I've a GH-1 but I'll never pretend that I could produce something as luscious as this. The Nobel Prize to you sir :).

sfoster
11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I like this film so I'm going to be picky! This film had amazing special effects. I loved the blood and the creative cutting around pulling the stake out. The lighting was good as was the overall look of the film. The end was a bit too overlit for scary in my opinion. As far as story, to me, this seemed a little too much like a trailer which in itself isn't a bad thing. It started in the middle of something. I too needed back story. I thought the acting was poor towards the end with the Cop. Do a little research on how cops react if you're going for realism in a film like this. I think this was a little too big of a story for 6 minutes. It's crammed in there. If you had 15, it would have worked really well and you could have started a little earlier. I was left wondering questions like Who did the stabbing? What happened? Is the killer still there? Is there a killer? Was it a spat between husband and wife, but the wife happens to be a vampire? Still one of my top 10 films!

jasonthewho
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
To offer the opposite opinion of sfoster, I loved how we were thrown into the story. In fact, for me that was what made this film so awesome for me. And all the questions that sfoster had were answered for me in the film, and that's what the film was about - answering those questions. Now, not all the answers were neat and tidy, but there were enough answers for my satisfaction.

Beyond that, the acting and technical elements were superb. I loved the film. So far my favorite, and I have a hard time believing it's going to be knocked from that spot. Excellent work.

I'll agree with sfoster that the police officer did not behave rationally, BUT I went with it personally because it suited the story. Perhaps you could have found a middle ground where he behaved believably and it still worked for the story.

NOBELO
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks so much for the reviews everybody! I wouldn't watch this if it was 15 mins long, We didn't even use all 6! :)

I'm trying to get to everyone's films and I appreciate the time everyone is spending watching/reviewing this one.

Noel Evans
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
We used the GH1 with Anamorphic Lenses

Interesting... the second short that used a GH1 anamorphic lens set up. Worked very well.

dust'n the callipygous
11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
i love films that throw you right into the middle (with the exception of mortal kombat 2). it makes you think a lot harder. i'd rather be thinking to figure out what happened as things progress than just know everything right out of the box. also makes the rest of the film more ambiguous. nothing worse than knowing the ending as soon as the film starts. i thought this was the best opening of any of the films.

ramsaur
11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
The acting was good with the woman at the beginning. Acting with something stuck in her was very good. Your zombie effect was really good. The film was just to short and didn't tell me enough that I wanted to know.

Edit: Ok from watching a 2nd time, I loved it. Went to fast the first time. I completely missed the 2nd shot of the picture showing they are husband and wife. But over all awesome job!

REHov520
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
this was awesome. it looked like it was actually shot on film. i'm considering buying the GH1 after seeing it. i'd love to hear your thoughts on the pros/cons of that camera setup. you were smart to not try and cram too much story into 6 minutes... what it lacks in plot it makes up for in mood / suspense. great job!

Rodney V. Smith
11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Time for the full review.

I gotta say I was massivley impressed with this film from the first time we see the girl and then the reveal of the stake in her chest. Immediately reminded me of a conversation I'd had with my co-writer about wooden stakes: They work remarkably well on humans as well.

That's the hook right there for me and it's really what the entire movie is about. The uncertainty of her origin. Was she a human staked by accident or a victim of a failed staking attempt? Right there, that got me and I would have been content watching her struggle to get that stake out. That scene was interesting, it was intense and it was more than anuthing else entirely human.

En media res has always been the best place to start the best kinds of stories, with the action in full progress. There is not always a need for "once upon a time" or to see everything that happened before. You crafted the images to bring us into the film slowly. Establish the rural setting.. far from anyone else... establish the people in the house, relationship, the kind of house... then the fact that there's something wrong.... and then you show us what it is. Excellent story-telling, with solid visual themes that resonate all the way through.

The choices your actress made were note perfect including her original call to 911. It may be seen as a mislead or even a "wtf" moent from the people who saw immediately that she was a vampire. But at that moment, we don;t KNOW that she is a vampire yet. ANd besides we all get wrappe dup in the fact that she's a vampire and she can;t dide. But vampires were HUMAN FIRST. Still human reactions and that includes panic. Besides I doubt very many vampires survive being staked. So totally pefect reaction in my opinion. Call for help.

And then you up the ante with a bit of realism of her physiological condition: the inability to speak or even breathe properly becasue of all of the blood.

What can I say? I loved it. Even the reveal of the deputy coming to the rescue.. He was real and very human.

This is a movie I wish I could have made. A story I wish I had even thought of and that's really my highest praise.

Actually thats a lie. This is my highest praise: I FUCKING LOVE THIS MOVIE.

bosindy
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
watched a few but this is the first one I am commenting on. This is really well done and I love being thrown into the middle of a story. This would make a great opening to a film. The actress doesn't hit a false note throughout and it's difficult to convincingly play being in the throes of a mortal wound like that. As far as shot selection, this is a good example of being cinematic in the confines of a small area. The shots of her on the floor are very well executed. The score is pitch perfect and doesn't try to do to much. Thoroughly enjoyable. Cheers!

Mark Harris
11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Very nicely done.

MOVIE MASTER
11-02-2009, 04:44 PM
man this film is a jewel a true diamond in the rough!
wow is all I got to say
I hope my films look as good as this someday

kennethhurd
11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow! This short was amazing! I was pulled into it right from the start. The way you set everything up was excellent. The visuals and audio worked really well. I was pretty sure that she was a vampire once I saw that she had a wooden stake in her, but I liked that you left it open until the very end. The only thing I'd like to know is what happens next. My favorite so far!

Geoff_R
11-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Dig the simplicity. Love the lack of dialogue and how it's very heavy on just being a visual piece. Your lead actress did an excellent job. How long was she covered in all that blood? Must have been a fun mess to clean up afterwards ;)

I thought all the performances were solid and fit the bill for what was happening. I've read some comments about the cops performance but I think his manner and tone is good for the piece. I like how he is trying to project an atmosphere of control and a sense of calm. It contrasts nicely with what 'we the audience' already know and helps build to your final moment.

Well shot, well put together. My favorite so far.

Maximus
11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Impressive.

xxrotinivol2
11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Far and away my favorite film in the festival. It was visceral, thrilling, tragic, and it felt very professional. Everything was spot on: the acting, sound, lighting, camera, everything. Congrats man for putting something like this together for the festival. Blown away.

NOBELO
11-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Time for the full review.

I gotta say I was massivley impressed with this film from the first time we see the girl and then the reveal of the stake in her chest. Immediately reminded me of a conversation I'd had with my co-writer about wooden stakes: They work remarkably well on humans as well.

That's the hook right there for me and it's really what the entire movie is about. The uncertainty of her origin. Was she a human staked by accident or a victim of a failed staking attempt? Right there, that got me and I would have been content watching her struggle to get that stake out. That scene was interesting, it was intense and it was more than anuthing else entirely human.

En media res has always been the best place to start the best kinds of stories, with the action in full progress. There is not always a need for "once upon a time" or to see everything that happened before. You crafted the images to bring us into the film slowly. Establish the rural setting.. far from anyone else... establish the people in the house, relationship, the kind of house... then the fact that there's something wrong.... and then you show us what it is. Excellent story-telling, with solid visual themes that resonate all the way through.

The choices your actress made were note perfect including her original call to 911. It may be seen as a mislead or even a "wtf" moent from the people who saw immediately that she was a vampire. But at that moment, we don;t KNOW that she is a vampire yet. ANd besides we all get wrappe dup in the fact that she's a vampire and she can;t dide. But vampires were HUMAN FIRST. Still human reactions and that includes panic. Besides I doubt very many vampires survive being staked. So totally pefect reaction in my opinion. Call for help.

And then you up the ante with a bit of realism of her physiological condition: the inability to speak or even breathe properly becasue of all of the blood.

What can I say? I loved it. Even the reveal of the deputy coming to the rescue.. He was real and very human.

This is a movie I wish I could have made. A story I wish I had even thought of and that's really my highest praise.

Actually thats a lie. This is my highest praise: I poo pooING LOVE THIS MOVIE.
This is pretty spot on.

Maybe I should fly you out the next time because we seem to see things exactly the same. This is pretty much verbatim some of the conversations I had with my friends about the story.

Thanks so much, it means a lot.

Rodney V. Smith
11-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Maybe I should fly you out the next time because we seem to see things exactly the same. This is pretty much verbatim some of the conversations I had with my friends about the story.

Glad I could see where you were coming from. It's not hard to see it at all and it's really something that stays with you without getting hung up on the technical side of things. Technique is solid so that just makes it even better, but the simplicity of the story makes it even more accessible. It's this kind of storytelling that can help people view vampires differently instead of repeating the same old stories and legends and I love it. "Yes vampires can die... they just don't stay that way, oh and by the way: it poo pooing HURTS."

My next question is this: when's the feature? You can definitely fly me out for that. :thumbsup:

Troy Ruff
11-03-2009, 06:34 AM
My next question is this: when's the feature? You can definitely fly me out for that. :thumbsup:

Im in if you making a feature of this! :) I love it! count me in!

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
This is a terrific looking film Nobelo. Its solid and simple, and that's the beauty of it. You allow the audience to slowly assess the situation and draw a conclusion from the clues that you lay out. I don't think the situation is the strongest part, but the way you involve your audience as you slowly reveal information through wider shots and character action.

I like the fact that you had the woman call 911 with a stake through her chest. Sweet.

I'm a sucker for venetian blind shadows and florescent green lighting in the background. Who isn't? Professional production all around right down to the state trooper's uniform. I also appreciate your ability to know when to use handheld shots. This is one of the most abused techniques in filmmaking today.

This one is on the top of my list.

Rakesh Jacob
11-03-2009, 09:58 AM
BEST F-ING THING TO EVER COME OUT OF A DVX FEST!!! EVER!
Brilliant job, everything about this film is sooooo good! The acting, the plot, the direction, the cinematography and the makeup are all spot on. I felt her f-ing pain man and rooted for her all the way even when it started to become obvious she was what she was, which for me was pretty early. Once I saw the steak I thought awesome, this what happens after Buffy leaves. This bitch better get her ass up, pull that steak out and find somebody to suck! YOU GO VAMPIRE GIRL!

Giving this a 10 makes me regret all the other 10s I've given in past fests! LOL

hoz
11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
awesome flick!!!!

simple yet strong as hell. even the blood looked right. way cool. way way cool.

congrats!!!

Maximus
11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Felt the need to elaborate on my previous comment. Impressive just doesn't do the film justice.

This was the one film that I totally forgot I was watching and judging another short film in the DVXuser Monster Film Festival. Literally ten seconds in, I was no longer focusing on the same old technical issues, stilted dialogue and/or bad acting, and numerous other problems, I was totally immersed in the story.

The simplest way of describing this film is that it felt like a real movie. A real, big budget, Hollywood movie.

Technically, near flawless.

Backstory?! The first two shots is it. Succinct. All you need.

Great SPFX makeup! Pro? The blood in particular really sealed the deal early on. Was it store bought? If so which brand? If it was good ol' karo and food coloring, please share your formula.

In my top three. Foshizzle.

Great job! :beer:

MOVIE STUNTS
11-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Holy $&%*! Guy this was awesome! The lighting, sequences, story, ect... I haven't had a chance to go over this thread but what cam did you use? I know it's not the cam but the user... but damn this looked great and didn't seem to suffer from the compression! Excellent! Let me know when you finish a feature so I can see it at the theater.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Who are you? I presume you are someone we all know and that I have met.

Very well done, I dont know how this is eligible to be in the contest since you broke the basic rule of credits, you dont have them. Which makes me think this is an anonymous entry by someone we'd otherwise recognize, I have my guess.

But regardless, it's good filmmaking so I salute you.

Zak Forsman
11-04-2009, 12:34 AM
The credits fulfill the festival requirement. At a minimum, we want to see authorship attributed in some fashion. As in "a film by BLANK" or "a BLANK film". the level of detail is up to the filmmaker. The line is drawn between this and simply having a card that reads: "The End". As that does not credit anyone with anything, it would not fulfill the requirement.

Jason Ramsey
11-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I dont know how this is eligible to be in the contest since you broke the basic rule of credits, you dont have them.

Yes, he does... "A film by" is the minimum that we drew the line at on the credits... There is more than one film that has that as a minimum. "A film by Spencer Katz" is another one that comes to mind.

The minimum is one frame of credits. If the film acknowledges at least a person or company responsible for the project, that would be a credit by our standards for the current fest, b/c we did not elaborate beyond that within our rules.. Something we may need to consider in the future. However, "The End" is not a credit, and we had a film that was exhibition only as a result of that. Likewise, the title of the film is a separate requirement in the rules, and does not count as a "credit".

Hope that clarifies the credit requirement for you as opposed to flatly stating that a particular film did not meet a requirement of the fest :)

EDIT: Zak beat me to it... As you can tell, we had prior discussion about films having "A film by" as their only credit, as we had at least two entries that I can think of at the moment who did this. And, whether or not "The End" would qualify as credits :)

later,
jason

killacam
11-04-2009, 02:01 AM
really nice and most likely my fave so far (have only seen about 3/4 of the films so far though). it looked great too and was happy to see it was shot on the gh1. I still have a lot of love for that camera ha.

NOBELO
11-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for everyone's comments. I'm absolutely blown away that people seem to be liking it as much as they are. There have been a lot of specific questions about certain aspects of production and I will be sure to get to everything. DVXuser is one of the sites I have learned a lot of stuff from so I'll be sure to answer all the q's asap. I'm hanging with the family today so it may take a day or so. If I haven't commented on your film it's not because I've forgotten. Sort of popping on when I can and commenting as I go (not that my reviews are terribly good or anything but if you do the work to get a film in you deserve feedback.)

Thanks so much again for the comments.

vurfing
11-04-2009, 02:53 AM
I loved this. Really draws you into the story and keeps you guessing - is she, isn't she? Fantastic camera work and acting all round.

Shaun Patrick
11-04-2009, 06:49 AM
My favorite of the fest thus far. Top notch acting/camera work and a simple (and effective) story. Just great work all around.

cinealma
11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
This is a brilliant little piece of filmmaking and I enjoyed it immensely. But I have a HUGE gripe with the ending, and that may just be a product of the whole "monster" requirement. What started out for me as a great character piece turned into something else at the end. Seems like you felt the need to close it all up for the viewer when you really didn't need to.

The whole mystery of the relationship between these two people, who they are and who they are to each other, is the REAL road to the ending of this story. We see the man is bitten. We can infer it was her due to the stake through the heart. The twist, or slight turn of the screw, is the different approach to the subject of vampires. Stake through the heart? Poof! Dead in an instant. Miss the heart? Vampire pulls the stake out, just a flesh wound, and gets really pissed off. Bitten person? Dead or soon turns into a vampire himself. But you've already broken those tired Hollywood "rules".

So where now will you take us? I was hoping for something very human and with emotion. You had this feeling to the film right up to the point where the cop arrived. From that point on, it was just your average horror film.

I hope you don't take my criticism the wrong way. Again, I absolutely loved this film and I am rooting for the filmmaker in a big way. I guess that's why I'm a little more critical than other stuff I've reviewed.

AND... I'll be so bold to say rewrite and reshoot the "non-monsterfest" ending. You owe it to this film... and yourself as an artist.

Bravo.

FDL film music composer
11-04-2009, 09:46 AM
The best short Have seen until now ..ver very good blood, visual effect Hope you have a feature for this one (obiviously if you needed of a score ..you can pm me :-))))...5 stars for me ..and I'm in agreement with all the people of the forum about credits..

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes, he does... "A film by" is the minimum that we drew the line at on the credits... There is more than one film that has that as a minimum. "A film by Spencer Katz" is another one that comes to mind.

The minimum is one frame of credits. If the film acknowledges at least a person or company responsible for the project, that would be a credit by our standards for the current fest, b/c we did not elaborate beyond that within our rules.. Something we may need to consider in the future. However, "The End" is not a credit, and we had a film that was exhibition only as a result of that. Likewise, the title of the film is a separate requirement in the rules, and does not count as a "credit".

Hope that clarifies the credit requirement for you as opposed to flatly stating that a particular film did not meet a requirement of the fest :)

EDIT: Zak beat me to it... As you can tell, we had prior discussion about films having "A film by" as their only credit, as we had at least two entries that I can think of at the moment who did this. And, whether or not "The End" would qualify as credits :)

later,
jason

Okay, then that's a much tamer requirement then I thought. I guess I thought it meant factual credits. Was this entry cleared for anonymous entry by the mods prior? Because that's what it is. No, i'm not fishing to get this guy DQ'd, just seeing if this is an acceptable thing to do in the future.

Btw Nobelo, you confirmed the other part of my message :-).

Mike Manning
11-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey good job man! Very well done. In fact, so well done, I wish you had aimed a little higher. Once she pulled the stake out of her chest I knew exactly where it was going and was simply waiting to see how you'd get there. And you did it flawlessly. So next time, shoot for the moon!

Jason Ramsey
11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Okay, then that's a much tamer requirement then I thought. I guess I thought it meant factual credits. Was this entry cleared for anonymous entry by the mods prior? Because that's what it is. No, i'm not fishing to get this guy DQ'd, just seeing if this is an acceptable thing to do in the future.

Pissing people off lately, so why stop now...

<rant on>

give it a rest, shawn... geez... First coming in and flatly stating that something is a rule violation, as opposed to raising any concern you mighht have through the appropriate private channels, kinda ticks me off, and it's a trend that you've shown in the past.

2ndly, think about what you are asking me... Was this cleared prior as an anonymous entry... uhmm... let me think, the film is in competition. it is not an exhibition entry, so if it were an anonymous entry, then yes... obviously it would have to have been cleared. and, if it weren't, then that's irrelevant.

Again, you are flatly stating that this is an anonymous entry as though it were fact. Let's just forget about this film for a minute and say that we do have an allowance for anonymous entries, and we have very clear guidelines that must be followed. If someone wanted to enter a film anonymously, then they would obviously have their reasons for doing so. So, why would you come into a thread and try to publicly out someone? That's just low ball shit. What part of anonymous DON'T you understand? And, that's not to say that this film is an anonymous entry... Just a statement of your conduct and the only way I can perceive it.

You dont' know what you are even talking about, firstly. And, 2ndly in the same breath you say you aren't trying to get anyone dq'd or do anything shady, but you would come in here and publicly try to "blow the cover" of someone that you thought was an anonymous entry?

If you think an entry is anonymous and that the rules of clearing it first with festival administrators might not have been followed, the clear and proper thing to do woudl be to pm one of us and raise your concerns privately. Sorry, but doing what you've just done smacks of nothing but disingenuous

If a filmmaker chooses to be anonymous, that is their decision and their's alone, and for their own reasons. We allow it if it is cleared with us first, so that we can give certain conduct guidelines.

Zak Forsman
11-04-2009, 11:58 AM

knock it off.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Jason, "pissing people off lately"....how? Until this very moment in time, how have I pissed off anyone in this community during this fest?

Let me say, I apologize, to you and to Nobelo. BEFORE you posted this I sent him a PM to say I meant no disrespect, so he shouldnt have anything against me.

Your personal attack against me is not appreciated, plus you insinuating that I've been pissing of "people", as in plural. This is the first thing in this fest that's even slightly pissy and I just apologized. Here's round 2.

I'm sorry. It's a great film.

Jason Ramsey
11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Jason, "pissing people off lately"....how?

That was meant to be that I'm pissing people off lately, and not directed at you.

I did not personally attack you. I flatly stated that your conduct in this thread is very difficult to view as noble. you've twice publiclly stated something as fact, and both times suggested that this film shouldn't be in competition.

And, again... ANONYMOUS (this is in response only to your comments, not this particular film)... what part of that don't you get? trying to (accurately or inaccurately) out someone from their requested anonymity publicly is just not appropriate. That seems pretty obvious.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
That was meant to be that I'm pissing people off lately, and not directed at you.

I did not personally attack you. I flatly stated that your conduct in this thread is very difficult to view as noble. you've twice publiclly stated something as fact, and both times suggested that this film shouldn't be in competition.

And, again... ANONYMOUS (this is in response only to your comments, not this particular film)... what part of that don't you get? trying to (accurately or inaccurately) out someone from their requested anonymity publicly is just not appropriate. That seems pretty obvious.

Thank you. I apologized, I see how my words were too hasty and my intentions perceived otherwise. I'll be more careful in the future.

Again to Nobelo, it's a great f1cking flick, i've been recommending people check it out.

NOBELO
11-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Okay,
I've got a little time so I'll go over some of the questions I've heard.

Pros and Cons of working with the GH1:

I really enjoyed how quickly the setups can be. The size of the camera allows you to literally grab it and try out different angles. If you don't like it you just simply move over this way or that or lift it up, etc. Even with a small camera like the HVX is harder to do that if you have lenses on it. So the size/form factor really allowed us to move quickly. On a 1 1/2 day shoot. That is HUGE. We simply could not have done what we did with a bigger camera unless we had a bit more time.

Resolution actually holds up pretty darn well and I had no problems with mud. If you're not familiar with mud it is basically a type of a breakdown of the image due to fast movement. It appears sort of like blocky pixels that distort the picture. Jack Stanley has a thread here about the GH1 and I actually read that before even thinking about the GH1. Again, we never had any problems with the mud.

The On camera Mic is actually not too bad so I was able to use it during editing very well to assemble the rough cut. It's not great but I was expecting it to be way worse. I did all my rough cuts with the on camera sound and people really weren't noticing it too much.

Things I didn't like: Not too much actually. Maybe a bit more color space or resolution for color grading but other than that-for the price....can't beat it.

Nitsuj
11-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I see the film for what it is and not what camera was used myself. However it is thrilling to see the same camera I have in action done so well. I said it before and it still stands, I believe this to be the winner myself. I think it is cool you did this in so little time. I need to learn that trick.

I was not so lucky as you with the dialogue using the on camera mic. There was just too much ambient noise in my situation. I have already started looking for a mic to use after this. Just be careful with that coming from somebody who experienced the troubles of the on camera mic.

NOBELO
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Yea I agree,
I dont' think it would be good for your final sound mix. It was just better than I thought it would be.

Thanks so much for your nice comments. I haven't gotten around to commenting on your film yet but I definitely will.

I see the film for what it is and not what camera was used myself. However it is thrilling to see the same camera I have in action done so well. I said it before and it still stands, I believe this to be the winner myself. I think it is cool you did this in so little time. I need to learn that trick.

I was not so lucky as you with the dialogue using the on camera mic. There was just too much ambient noise in my situation. I have already started looking for a mic to use after this. Just be careful with that coming from somebody who experienced the troubles of the on camera mic.

Jason Ramsey
11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Thank you. I apologized, I see how my words were too hasty and my intentions perceived otherwise. I'll be more careful in the future.

Again to Nobelo, it's a great f1cking flick, i've been recommending people check it out.

No worries, Shawn. Nothing personal, and not trying to single you out. Sorry, if I came across a bit harsh... been a wild ride today :)

Nitsuj
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Yea I agree,
I dont' think it would be good for your final sound mix. It was just better than I thought it would be.

Thanks so much for your nice comments. I haven't gotten around to commenting on your film yet but I definitely will.

I wasn't taking mine as serious so I let the sound quality slide. But I too was surprised it was as good as it was. To those that have a GH1, just expect the on camera mic to bite you in the arss and don't expect it to sound as good as this.

NOBELO
11-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Someone asked about the blood. It's a home made recipe.

Corn Syrup. Lots of red food coloring and a few drops of BLUE food coloring. Not too much or it will go purple.

Then the secret ingredient: PEANUT BUTTER!

That's it. Mix it in a blender and thin it out w/ water if you need to have it squirting.

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 06:31 PM

I never would have thought Peanut Butter would work as an ingredient. One thing to note - is to make sure your talent isn't allergic to peanuts. Many people are and react horribly when they are near these delicious little nuts.

bosindy
11-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I never would have thought Peanut Butter would work as an ingredient. One thing to note - is to make sure your talent isn't allergic to peanuts. Many people are and react horribly when they are near these delicious little nuts.

yeah but think about how money the reaction would look on film.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
yeah but think about how money the reaction would look on film.
Vampire actresses face starts to swell and bubble.

Director: Alright guys, we're adding a holy water scene.

NOBELO
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Vampire actresses face starts to swell and bubble.

Director: Alright guys, we're adding a holy water scene.

LOL!! Make sure it's your last shot.

Peanut butter gives it the proper consistency and prevents it from being too pinkish and transparent. Good point about the peanuts I have a friend that would need to go to the hospital if she even touches one.

Mood Niatrec
11-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I thought the film was great. I still have trouble believing we're at the point where films that look as good as this can be shot on cameras like the GH1. I thought the score in the film was great, really helps bring bring you in.

I really thought it great that you didn't feel the need to drag the film out the full 6 minutes, from what I've been seeing quite a few people seem to think that a 6 minute film is a requirement and their films drag on and in my opinion, suffer for it. ANYWAY, I'm glad you stuck to the time you did, because the pacing is great.

I'm a fan

Mark Harris
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Again, nice job, guys.

I'm a little confused about the story though. Why did she call 911, and then just kill the cop?

Also, isn't the cop this actor? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0008543/

Great guy, met him in LA. How did you hook up with him? Auditions?

armisiano
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I liked the simplicity of this one. I enjoy short films that are clean and don't try to over extend themselves cramming a feature into a short.

This was a "scene" that stood on its own, left me wanting more... but in the right way.

and, it was well shot...

I thought the pacing was fluid and you hit your beats well.

Thanks for sharing.

later,
jason

Ditto. Everything I wanted to say exactly. Great work and really beautifully lit.

Kholi
11-04-2009, 10:51 PM
=D Did I mention how incredibly well shot this short was? Teehee

Maximus
11-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Why did she call 911, and then just kill the cop?

"Send... More... Brains!" :evil:

Thanks for the blood recipe.

Loved the prosthetics. Could you comment on that?

dmc
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Great short NOBELO - very well executed in all areas! The very slow but deliberate camera moves gave it a really nice tension throughout.

Someone asked about the blood. It's a home made recipe.

Corn Syrup. Lots of red food coloring and a few drops of BLUE food coloring. Not too much or it will go purple.

That's it. Mix it in a blender and thin it out w/ water if you need to have it squirting.

Care to divulge the ratios of corn syrup, coloring and peanut butter? Please?

Again nice job!

: )

dmc

teresadecher
11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Ah! Loved everything in this film. Very well done! It was a complete story, but I totally wanted to see more. Like it felt as if it should be a trailer for a feature film.

Susanne G.
11-06-2009, 05:42 PM
This film keeps my attention the whole time. Very well done, but it did not get the nobel prize. There was someone else more famous, faster than you :)

All the best

Susanne

Lawsuit_Boy
11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I was really struck by this film.

Not because of the subject matter or the thought of seeing all of that blood spilling onto carpet while shooting. No, I was struck by the craftsmanship on display.

The film exhibits a very strong appreciation for film language and it was refreshing to see a film that allows itself to breath in the narrow time frame allotted to participants. This is, I think, a triumph for the script, the direction of the camera, and the editing. It didn't involve languid shots that draw out the run-time (something I tend to do in my own works). Each shot was fairly deliberate. Could a few frames be trimmed here and there? Surely. But then we may get into a debate over the effect of cutting out of a shot in front or in back too soon or too late. It changes the dynamic of the film. So, long story-short, the pace is admirable.

As for the actors, I was pleasantly surprised that the anguish and shock of their injuries was believable. Lesser experienced actors tend to either under play or jump way over the line of realism in such situations. There were moments when things were a little stiff, but they're negligible. The actor portraying the officer was surprising natural as well given the kind of dialogue he was required to deliver. That type of reaction is something very different when performed by a trained professional (professional officer, that is).

The cinematography was effective. It never really sunk into the realm of artificiality. The exterior shots were very smooth and clean. There are a few instances when the camera crosses some axis lines that's a little annoying to a trained eye, but general public might not notice (although it may interrupt their orientation). Just something to watch out for on the part of the DP and director in blocking scenes. In no way am I saying "Do things by the book"; not at all. But always be conscious of the set-ups in a scene.

It has been a few days since my viewing, so I'm having difficulty pin-pointing more areas to "nitpick." The film does fall into some vagueness as far as the possession of the girl goes, which leaves a viewer with a little bit of a bad taste in their mouth after a strong first half. I may have missed something in my viewing, but I don't remember an indication of when or why the switch came. This is something that tends to happen under pressure in a short short film contest like this, so don't worry too much about it. Like I said, I might have just missed it.

EDIT: As mentioned, I reviewed the film days after viewing and forgot the significance of the WOOD stuck in the girl's chest, implying vampire mythology. Sorry about that.

Overall, a very effective piece of anticipation that is well constructed and interesting to watch. :thumbsup:

Darkline
11-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Sorry for the hit and run, but this is my pick of the fest.

A very simple story, but that meant you had the time to really eek out the details, and that's what made this work and stand out from the rest. Not only that, but it may well be the most technically accomplished short of the fest, which is never a bad thing.

Great film-making, well done.

J.R. Hudson
11-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I was really struck by this film.

Not because of the subject matter or the thought of seeing all of that blood spilling onto carpet while shooting. No, I was struck by the craftsmanship on display.

The film exhibits a very strong appreciation for film language and it was refreshing to see a film that allows itself to breath in the narrow time frame allotted to participants. This is, I think, a triumph for the script, the direction of the camera, and the editing. It didn't involve languid shots that draw out the run-time (something I tend to do in my own works). Each shot was fairly deliberate. Could a few frames be trimmed here and there? Surely. But then we may get into a debate over the effect of cutting out of a shot in front or in back too soon or too late. It changes the dynamic of the film. So, long story-short, the pace is admirable.

As for the actors, I was pleasantly surprised that the anguish and shock of their injuries was believable. Lesser experienced actors tend to either under play or jump way over the line of realism in such situations. There were moments when things were a little stiff, but they're negligible. The actor portraying the officer was surprising natural as well given the kind of dialogue he was required to deliver. That type of reaction is something very different when performed by a trained professional (professional officer, that is).

The cinematography was effective. It never really sunk into the realm of artificiality. The exterior shots were very smooth and clean. There are a few instances when the camera crosses some axis lines that's a little annoying to a trained eye, but general public might not notice (although it may interrupt their orientation). Just something to watch out for on the part of the DP and director in blocking scenes. In no way am I saying "Do things by the book"; not at all. But always be conscious of the set-ups in a scene.

It has been a few days since my viewing, so I'm having difficulty pin-pointing more areas to "nitpick." The film does fall into some vagueness as far as the possession of the girl goes, which leaves a viewer with a little bit of a bad taste in their mouth after a strong first half. I may have missed something in my viewing, but I don't remember an indication of when or why the switch came. This is something that tends to happen under pressure in a short short film contest like this, so don't worry too much about it. Like I said, I might have just missed it.

Overall, a very effective piece of anticipation that is well constructed and interesting to watch. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm

Where be that line crossing ? I found none worth mentioning ?

What was so vague about the girl ? She's a vampire.

This feels like a review that's looking for something too be wrong, but it just comes down more to someones own idea on how they'd do it I think.

Signed

John; Line Professor

Nitsuj
11-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Where be that line cross Lawsuit Boy ?

I watched and saw zero infractions worth mentioning ?

Only thing I can think he might be talking about would be the scene where the officer shows up on the scene. At first I thought the officer was in front of them until POV shot of the officer. But after watching it again it did make sense. Not sure why that had me thinking that. I thought it was crossing the line myself until I watched it again. It's right on the line really. If the part where the officer is speaking into his radio was mirrored and he was looking screen left instead of screen right that might have kept me from that little tiny bit of confusion. Maybe that is what he was getting at? Dunno *shrugs* It's still the winner in my eyes.

Sprocketboy
11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hmmmm

This feels like a review that's looking for something too be wrong, but it just comes down more to someones own idea on how they'd do it I think.

I can't find anything wrong either, Hudson. No director line broken.

Robert Eldon
11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Wow! I felt like I was watching a scene from a theatrical film. Very well done! The camera movement and editing were exceptional in this film. Beautiful images and lighting.

The acting was amazing! I was engrossed the entire time and was emotionally vested in the wounded, dying? character.

I really liked how you slowly set up the story and revealed the twist.

There were so many great shots in this film, it's hard to name a few, but I really like the shot at around TC 2;04 with the slow push in, when she's turning to look behind her, with the brick wall in the background.

I couldn't tell if the 'monster' was practical make up or special effects? Either way, it was realistic, scary and not over the top. Nice. :)

This was a really great film with great camera work, acting, and pacing to the end. Great job! :thumbsup:

Lawsuit_Boy
11-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Hmmmm

Signed

John; Line Professor

Just proves that attempting to review a film a few days after watching it isn't the best idea. And I don't appreciate this condescending attitude. When I review a film that is really strong, it becomes difficult to find things to critique. I do it merely as a form of note-taking for the filmmakers. They put in hard work on their films and deserve any perspective that can be given. I think this makes sense considering how many of the voters don't comment/review the film.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or elsewhere, but I'm going to go back and re-watch some of the films I saw early on so that I don't forget things. I completely forgot that she wasn't only injured, but had a piece of WOOD in her chest.

Also, do you want to get into a semantic debate on the foundations of objective criticism of a project? Where does the line blur between something being "wrong" and the intentions a reviewer has in a hypothetical "redo" situation? And what criteria is all of this measured against? Why is it that when someone attempts to find elements that a filmmaker might have missed, no matter how small or insignificant, they are nearly ostracized? Would these festivals be better if everyone simply said, "Yeah, I thought it was pretty good"?

Here's the bottom line: I was just trying to draw as much out as I could so that the filmmakers could have another perspective. Sometimes I have to pry and "nitpick" for this, and I usually mention that in my reviews; that I'm merely "nitpicking" little things. If I failed to do that this time, I apologize. But I thought I did. I really did enjoy the film and thought it was one of the best I've seen so far in the fest.

EDIT: I did mention that I was merely "nitpicking" in my review. I'm going to rewatch the film to figure out why I thought there were some axis lines crossed. And as I mentioned in the review, I myself am not a firm believer in holding to strict axis conduct in a film. And I realize I said something along the lines of "it could be annoying to an un-trained eye" and I'm not really sure what my thought process was or where I was going with it. I think that's proof that I was fishing for things to critique. Anyway, I think I've explained myself more than I needed to.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Okay, after re-watching the film, the minor "axis" problem I had wasn't really there. It was three shots when she pulls out the stake that flipped sides a little, but really, the one over the shoulder finds a good line with the one before, and the one after is a nice break. It did not throw off the viewing in any way; it wasn't jarring, grating, or irritating. I just remembered it and threw it out there as a way to think about the scene. Sort of a "what if the scene used a moving shot to cross the line, cut to CU over shoulder of stake, and then back to moving shot?" hypothetical. It meant nothing, really. Just something I always like to consider because I'm really fascinated by the ways formalists like to promulgate following the strict code of axis lines while others break them in the most intriguing ways. We're all filmmakers here who have, I hope, seen many, many films on both the stylistic side and the formalistic side, so I think we can successfully debate about these topics.

Moral of the story: I shouldn't have reviewed the film without the viewing being fresh in my mind.

Nitsuj
11-07-2009, 06:57 PM
When magic happens you can't define it but just be amazed. That's what I think anyway.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
When magic happens you can't define it but just be amazed. That's what I think anyway.

An interesting method of viewing. I appreciate it, but it sort of negates the purposes of having a forum-based, viewer response-type festival. If we merely accept a really excellent film like Dispatch as having no foreseeable flaws, how can the filmmakers progress even further? Sure, they can do it on their own, but varying opinions always help. So once again, even though I was hasty in trying to come up with said "flaws," the effort was still worth it, I think. Let's not "rose tint" anything.

Kellar42
11-08-2009, 03:09 PM
An interesting method of viewing. I appreciate it, but it sort of negates the purposes of having a forum-based, viewer response-type festival. If we merely accept a really excellent film like Dispatch as having no foreseeable flaws, how can the filmmakers progress even further? Sure, they can do it on their own, but varying opinions always help. So once again, even though I was hasty in trying to come up with said "flaws," the effort was still worth it, I think. Let's not "rose tint" anything.

I suppose part of the point of a fest on the forums is detailed feedback, but I think some people might find your reviews a little strange. Personally I have only read them on three of the films, arguably better than 99% of anything user generated we see on these forums, and you've managed to find technical flaws to talk about in each one.

That may be a healthy thing, but are you an established Cinematographer, or a professor of some sort? Were these reviews requested? (I ask these questions genuinely.) To the uninformed, it seems a bit as though you're treating yourself as a technical authority in reviewing the films.

Also, the comment about enjoying the magic is interesting. I am an illusionist by profession, and this is the response that creates the most joyful experience for both the performer and the audience. Filmmaking draws many parallels, and while study of the craft is important, much enjoyment will be had by those that suspend their disbelief or awareness of the craft and enjoy the sensation of magic.

When critiquing their peers, fellow magicians will often get overly lost in the craft and lose sight of the effect that a show had on an audience.

This does not, however, mean that craft should not be critiqued or improved! It's simply that the short films such as Dispatch in this festival had an impact on the views, and perhaps, in your eagerness to help the auteurs with areas of their craft where they may improve, you give the impression of glossing over the overwhelming achievement inherent in their creation.

Then again, you start your reviews quite complimentary. It's a delicate line, and may just be a feeling which crops up when one comes to your review in a thread.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I suppose part of the point of a fest on the forums is detailed feedback, but I think some people might find your reviews a little strange. Personally I have only read them on three of the films, arguably better than 99% of anything user generated we see on these forums, and you've managed to find technical flaws to talk about in each one.

That may be a healthy thing, but are you an established Cinematographer, or a professor of some sort? Were these reviews requested? (I ask these questions genuinely.) To the uninformed, it seems a bit as though you're treating yourself as a technical authority in reviewing the films.

Also, the comment about enjoying the magic is interesting. I am an illusionist by profession, and this is the response that creates the most joyful experience for both the performer and the audience. Filmmaking draws many parallels, and while study of the craft is important, much enjoyment will be had by those that suspend their disbelief or awareness of the craft and enjoy the sensation of magic.

When critiquing their peers, fellow magicians will often get overly lost in the craft and lose sight of the effect that a show had on an audience.

This does not, however, mean that craft should not be critiqued or improved! It's simply that the short films such as Dispatch in this festival had an impact on the views, and perhaps, in your eagerness to help the auteurs with areas of their craft where they may improve, you give the impression of glossing over the overwhelming achievement inherent in their creation.

Then again, you start your reviews quite complimentary. It's a delicate line, and may just be a feeling which crops up when one comes to your review in a thread.

I'd like to respond by not defending myself, but all of the filmmakers in this festival who deserve the feedback that I try to provide. I'll add more to this response soon when I have time, but what I feel like you're saying is that unless we're all established professionals, we don't have the credentials to add feedback. For a film festival of this "openness," I think it's necessary to have people who have studied film for many years to comment. Even though I only have a certain amount of films under my own belt, I still have the necessary film education (as well as English and sociological education) to add to the pot of feedback.

I'm just a little lost about your opinion because you seem to be conflicted about whether my reviews are good or bad.

Thanks for responding, though. I really appreciate people giving me feedback on my reviews. As said before, I just try to add more perspective. It's all about growth for the filmmakers.

Jon

ZazaCast
11-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I'd love to see some BTS photos...or a list of the actors...or hear a bit about the making of the film. That actress was great, but we have no idea who she is?

I guess I'm confused as to why the anonymous entry when there's so much to be learned from this film?

Any additional information would be most appreciated.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
And in no way do I ever attempt to condescend or detract in my reviews. If my reviews could be conducted in video/audio format like Mr. Lawrie Brewster's, I think people would be able to gauge my tone more accurately. Trying to remain objective in text does come off cold at times. I try to portray the opposite. I truly admire each of the filmmakers who come to these festivals and put their hard work in the spot light to be scrutinized by others. But it has always been my opinion that we shouldn't scrutinize but provide good, honest, constructive criticism while also highlighting the film's attributes. To my recollection, I have done this in every review of mine. It's about letting the filmmakers know where you think their strengths are and where, if at all, improvements could be made (or just simply different approaches for the heck of it) in future projects.

And I've always figured that if I have the necessary film vocabulary and understanding of the craft to give detailed analysis, I should try to find the time to give that information to the filmmakers. I am just as busy as everyone else and have a lot of work to be doing, but since I'm so heavily invested in the world of filmmaking, I really want to add as much as I can in any way possible. So if my reviews are disturbing people, I will politely back down. But since I was met with lots of appreciation and thanks for my reviews in LossFest, as well as some who have sent me DVDs to give a review for (I still have one I need to get to). This is not to gloat, but to show that people seemed to be genuinely interested in receiving lengthy analysis.

I already admitted that Dispatch had very few elements that I could actually critique, so I was really just "fishing" for things. The filmmaker and I have already had a discussion about my review and no offense was taken.

So what I think we're really getting to is the fact that this board hasn't come far enough in the evolution of its review process. The "fine line" that Kellar spoke of is the line where we want to give purely objective critiques without hurting anyone's feelings. And that makes sense, because none of us wants to offend our film peers. We all want to see our talents flourish as much as possible. So that is what I attempt to do in my reviews. I point out what I think the film's strong areas are while also noting things that might have stuck out a little. I think that this approach works very well. None of us should "sugar-coat" or use "rose-tinted filters" when viewing or reviewing other films, but we should all be respectful and courteous. I feel like I might have stepped over this line with my bit about the "axis" comments, but as I said, it was really just silly nitpicking and I don't remember where I was trying to go with it.

Anyway, that is my stance on the matter and I hope that stating it helps ease the stress in this thread. And once again, my apologies. And I also apologize about hijacking the thread.

Jon

cinealma
11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Anyway, that is my stance on the matter and I hope that stating it helps ease the stress in this thread. And once again, my apologies. And I also apologize about hijacking the thread.
Jon

Not sure why you are apologizing? I think maybe the words "trained eye" may have come off a little bit pedantic, and rubbed a well-respected Mr. Hudson the wrong way, but I really found nothing wrong in the approach of your review. I think a detailed review of the craft of the film, ESPECIALLY when it's geared toward a director, can only be helpful.

I find that this forum is very technical oriented in the subject of gear. A good chunk of reviews always seem to talk about "color grading" or "frame rates" or "lighting" or other such things which I feel fall under the category of cinematography. When somebody puts in the time to CRITIQUE a film and it's direction, that can only be a good thing for the filmmaker.

Now, whether one agrees or disagrees with the critique is another matter. But healthy discussion never hurts in an artistic forum.

Just my two cents. Peace.

lawriejaffa
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Yep just to add somewhat lazily a +1 to cinealma's point :)

J.R. Hudson
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Lawsuit

No condescending tone meant; you're a native around here as far as I'm concerned. -

My post was short and maybe not so sweet; so no harm meant.

Just was not picking up what you were putting down. I think this film is solid in all areas; my own subjectivity and when a film brings me in like this one, I find no need to fish for something wrong.

John !

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 07:09 PM
It's all good J.R. I understand. I think what I mentioned about tone and demeanor not transcending the boundaries of internet text applies here. Your response just caught me so off-guard because I completely forgot what I had written in my review. Just mis-communication, which seems to be the root of most problems on forums.

I agree that this film is pretty darn terrific. One of the best efforts I've seen in a while. I guess I just couldn't pull anything out to play with (especially not after such a foggy recollection of the elements).

NOBELO
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey guys,
I have been out of town for the weekend and won't be back until tomorrow. I've got some bts stuff for ya this week, promise! There were some vey interesting things regarding the stake and the lighting and various other things that I think you'll find interesting.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey guys,
I have been out of town for the weekend and won't be back until tomorrow. I've got some bts stuff for ya this week, promise! There were some vey interesting things regarding the stake and the lighting and various other things that I think you'll find interesting.

Looking forward to it! The effects were pretty fantastic.

Kellar42
11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Lawsuit Boy, I wasn't suggesting that we have to have credentials to post a review, just that some might not be out of place for reviews with the level of detail and slightly authoritative tone yours seem to have.

However, it seems you have a track record with these, which in a sense is the sort of 'credentials' I mean, and neither filmmaker nor forum members have a problem with your reviews, in fact it looks like they are welcomed, so I certainly have no complaint!

Great film, once again! Looking forward to the making of details.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Lawsuit Boy, I wasn't suggesting that we have to have credentials to post a review, just that some might not be out of place for reviews with the level of detail and slightly authoritative tone yours seem to have.

However, it seems you have a track record with these, which in a sense is the sort of 'credentials' I mean, and neither filmmaker nor forum members have a problem with your reviews, in fact it looks like they are welcomed, so I certainly have no complaint!

Great film, once again! Looking forward to the making of details.

I certainly don't mean for the authoritative tone. I'm really baffled by how my review for this film came across. That's not how I usually write and it was a bit shocking to go back and read it. Maybe I've been hanging around too many film elitists over at Rotten Tomatoes and it rubbed off on me. :undecided

Kellar42
11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Again, if I'm the only one who thought that, you probably shouldn't worry!

Giving Dispatch back the thread now...

morbidodyssey
11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Solid entry, loved the way it was shot and lit, solid acting. One of my favorites of the fest so far.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-09-2009, 01:56 AM
My feeling is that this is really strong work.
All of the moments were so nicely detailed.
Rehashing what's already been said I guess mostly so not going into too much detail but:
Killer shots.
Tight editing.
Immediate, visceral story telling.
Music worked well.
Likewise, the sound design was very effective too.
Understood the story overall, but not sure why a vamp would call 911.
Is it because she's foggyheaded when she first comes to?
She forgot at first that she was a vamp due to the shock or something?
Never mind though, it still really worked well for me.
It still came together well by the end.
Could she? / should she lunge for the camera more for the very final shot - attack us?
Excellent end though nonetheless.
Just a few thoughts.
Overall great story telling.
Be back later with more if I have time.

Chris Messineo
11-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I loved this film. Great tone and atmosphere. Wonderful pacing, I really felt the tension throughout. Excellent short.

J.R. Hudson
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Understood the story overall, but not sure why a vamp would call 911.
Is it because she's foggyheaded when she first comes to? I assumed it was because she had attacked her husband !

ZazaCast
11-09-2009, 08:40 AM
I assumed it was because she had attacked her husband !

I thought it was because she was going to need fresh blood to revitalize herself!:beer:

vnguyen972
11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
it was a human instinct... that she made the call... but then she realized it and said nothing and threw the phone away... I really like that.

Sprocketboy
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
it was a human instinct... that she made the call... but then she realized it and said nothing and threw the phone away... I really like that.

I liked it for the same reason, but some people need more of a reason. Such as... making her iris lose color when she decides to hang the phone back up. This would hint at something about her that is inhuman at that moment.

Rodney V. Smith
11-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I loved that moment because it harkens back to the base instincts of any human in trouble and tells of such a deep history for the character. Like I said before: people always think of vampires as monsters, but they forget that they were HUMANS first. We have no idea how long this woman has been a vampire. She could have only been a vampire for 2 years or 2 weeks and still has to deal with 20+ years of human training. When in trouble of a mortal kind you bloody well call 911. It's ingrained in our heads. That says a LOT about the development and growth of the character and that she's not just a paper cut out: she's a real person... and she was sorry for biting Dave.

ZazaCast
11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
But how do you know SHE bit Dave? Maybe... just maybe, the couple was trying to stake a vamp and it went bad. The unknown Vamp bit Dave and pulled a ninja move pushing the stake into the wife. Blood was mixed in the skuffle....

This is were the story begins for us!

Matt Sconce
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
But how do you know SHE bit Dave? Maybe... just maybe, the couple was trying to stake a vamp and it went bad. The unknown Vamp bit Dave and pulled a ninja move pushing the stake into the wife. Blood was mixed in the skuffle....

That is exactly what I got from the short! Well maybe not, but it is a fun alternate tale. :beer:

ZazaCast
11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
... and the Vamp was actually the couples son, conspicuously missing from the family photo in the opening of the film because of his 'bad seed' status.....

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm home from a short weekend vacation. Will be posting stuff regarding the film here shortly.

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 02:58 PM
A lot of people have been inquiring as to who the actors were, etc:

Here is a rough Cast/Crew List:

Directer: Oliver Noble - DP: Sam Falconi - Sound: Anyone who was free - Makeup Marina Mestaz - Gaffer: Ben Krutcher - Grips: Any friends that were hanging around at the moment - Vampire Girl: Rochelle Valles - Husband: David Lloyd Wilson - Cop: Tim Abell.

I met Rochelle and David on a webseries I was working on about a year ago. I met Tim through various friends and other projects. All three were awesome to work with, had no egos and just really did an excellent job. I can't say enough about everyone who pitched in.

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Quick video of some BTS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TGLSefxShg

Here are some pics of Rochelle in action:

Ready for a take:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/DBTS4.jpg

Marina in Action:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/DBTS2.jpg

Splinters in the heart...:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/DBTS3.jpg

Rochelle on the floor. Human style. GH1 in the foreground!!!:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/DBTS1.jpg

Stake harness thingy. I think the next page has a better description of how we made it:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/stakeBTS1.png

Matt Sconce
11-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Awesome! I love to see these BTS shots!

Blaine
11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I really liked this one. The pacing was great and carried me right to the end. I also loved the head snap. It looked like a raptor zeroing in on its prey. Best blood ever. Marina did a super job on the makeup.

Excellent job!

SparkyZa
11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey Oliver, thanks for sharing. Hudson Valley boy? I knew there was something I liked about you! LOL.

This is great stuff. Welcome & I look forward to more from you.

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow, your avatar is freaky!!!

Glad you liked it. Thanks for watching and commenting.

Hey Oliver, thanks for sharing. Hudson Valley boy? I knew there was something I liked about you! LOL.

This is great stuff. Welcome & I look forward to more from you.

Rodney V. Smith
11-09-2009, 06:00 PM

That's exactly what they WANTED us to think! But then they pulled the good ol' switcheroo. Damn their clever writing!

Chad_from_Chad
11-10-2009, 04:58 AM
Just wonderful. I haven't watched everything yet, but I'm about three quarters of the way through and you're still in my top two so far. Beautifully lit, shot, cut, makeup, acting, props, etc. It's on the very, very, very, very short lists of movies from this fest that I actually want to watch again for enjoyment, instead of trying to clear up something that confused me.

After that, my one real gripe with the short is the shot that seems like it's supposed to be a "jump-scare" when the sheriff grabs her shoulder, just didn't work, it was the only thing that felt out of place to me. Other than that I was sucked into this one from beginning to end.

NOBELO
11-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Awesome! I love to see these BTS shots!

I'm trying to find some more stuff for you guys. I know I snapped some photos of the "stake rig."

To be honest the stake in the heart was an easy idea to execute in theory but turned out to be quite a task in reality. I'm looking for some pics to show you the contraption we went with. It was a home made contraption and I can't help but think that we will use the same process for many other things in the future.

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm trying to find some more stuff for you guys. I know I snapped some photos of the "stake rig."

To be honest the stake in the heart was an easy idea to execute in theory but turned out to be quite a task in reality. I'm looking for some pics to show you the contraption we went with. It was a home made contraption and I can't help but think that we will use the same process for many other things in the future.

I'd love to see that... It was very convincing!

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I won't add too much to this!

I'm really just adding to the chorus of praise - this is very commercial, very mainstream, but done very effectively and is genuinely entertaining.

This is commercial pulp done with finesse - accessible and entertaining to a very wide audience of cynics like me and well, that annoying kid josh down the road.

It's shot beautifully, acted extremely well (kudos to the actress) and production design was excellent. The atmosphere is effective and yada yada.

Congratulations!

ZazaCast
11-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Hummm.......

NOBELO
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I won't add too much to this!

I'm really just adding to the chorus of praise - this is very commercial, very mainstream, but done very effectively and is genuinely entertaining.

This is commercial pulp done with finesse - accessible and entertaining to a very wide audience of cynics like me and well, that annoying kid josh down the road.

It's shot beautifully, acted extremely well (kudos to the actress) and production design was excellent. The atmosphere is effective and yada yada.

Congratulations!

We were going for certain things and I think we nailed a lot of them. I've been reading your reviews and I must say you've got a knack with words. Makes for an entertaining read of the reviews.

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Cheers Nobelo - i just can't take it now, im reviewing them all in a one-er!

NOBELO
11-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Cheers Nobelo - i just can't take it now, im reviewing them all in a one-er!

ha, I've spoiled it for everyone.

NOBELO
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THIS, THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW:

So you wanna make a monster movie and you want to begin the film with a woman waking up with a stake jutting from her chest. When we started this we knew that the entire short was reliant on the stake gag working and in order for it to work we knew the stake would require a lot of support to prevent it from becoming flimsy or moving too much when the actress moved. We also knew that whatever secured it needed to be nearly invisible and would have to be some type of harness.

So this is what we did:

- We went to a local Art store and bought some molding clay (This clay ended up being "sculpting clay" which was very hard and not pliable at all) in order to make a mold to use for a cast.

- We bought some foam to make the cast with and also some plastic for the actual harness. If you are interested I can get you the exact ingredients.

-Once home we formed a rough version of the harness out of clay and pressed it against the actresses chest so it would adhere to the form.

-We then used the clay and some foam to make a cast to pour the liquid plastic into.

-Finally, we poured the liquid plastic, cut holes for the straps, screwed the stake in and voila.

Of course this is the simplified version and it took a lot more trial and error on our part to get it right. We had never worked with casting materials, foams, clays etc and were actually quite lucky it all worked out. We were one day out from shooting, broke and out of ideas so this literally HAD to work and it did. I'll try and get some better pics.
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/stakeBTS1-1.jpg

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Great job! I'd love to hear the ingredients so feel free to post them (or PM them to me at your leisure). It was totally undetectable and very convincing, so your trial-and-error truly paid off. And I know what you mean about being one-day out from shooting... we were under the same kind of pressure with our makeup (painting the night before) - LOL!

It all worked out very well for you (and us as the viewers) so congrats on a job well done!

(ps. I did answer your questions about our makeup in our thread and posted more BTS pics for you).

darkrequiem1134
11-10-2009, 11:32 PM
loved the flick. i hope to see more entries for you in future fests. keep up the kick a** work

DChang
11-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Amazing work, the GH1 really worked well! Any pics of your rig?

Marlon Ladd
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Man, it's about time you came with the stake info. I been waiting. LOL. Good stuff, Nobel.

NOBELO
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Amazing work, the GH1 really worked well! Any pics of your rig?

Thanks a lot for the comments everybody! Here is a lil' video that shows the Gh1 rig. It's short and shot on a cell phone but you can see a bit of the Gh1 rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TGLSefxShg

Wish we would have had more footage but we were short on time and peeps.

darkrequiem1134
11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
definitely routing for dispatch. this flick kicked a**. hope you win

Aaron Marshall
11-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Great work. This was an incredible looking movie. I wish you well in the fest. My vote is strong with this one. :)

Some of your framing alone sent shivers down my spine.

MattinSTL
11-13-2009, 03:54 AM
This was well done! It looks great (lighting), is framed well, has really good pacing... and the acting immediately pulled me into the story... and kept me there. (which is rare for indi-productions)... :thumbsup:

Richard J. Johnson
11-14-2009, 06:04 PM
If you don't win I would be shocked. That was spot-on in every aspect. My favorite. It gave me chills.

abalex
11-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Oh my....this was just incredible, love the intro, the idea, everything, well done!

bwwd
11-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I thought this was shot on film or RED at least ,it looks so amazing,should be on panasonic official website but it will probably never happen because of gore.This looks amazing.

Zak Forsman
11-15-2009, 04:55 PM
yes, much praise to the DP.

Chris_Marrs_Piliero
11-16-2009, 01:34 AM
if this film doesn't win, something is wrong with the voting process... awesome job.

NOBELO
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the kudos everyone!

I've been busy but I have been reading your posts and I'm glad people seem to really enjoy it. Can't say enough about the people who helped me out.

Thanks everyone!

Ralph D
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
This is one of the best short horror films I've ever seen. Better than a lot of stuff I've seen screened at some festivals.

Great job, Nobelo.

FDL film music composer
11-18-2009, 05:08 AM
If you don't win I would be shocked. That was spot-on in every aspect. My favorite. It gave me chills.

yes .that's right ...this short is perfect ..I can't wait to see for feature

NOBELO
11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
yes .that's right ...this short is perfect ..I can't wait to see for feature

Awesome! Not sure about a feature but we have been talking about Something...I'll keep you posted.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
This film slam dunk is going to be #1 in both audience and jury picks. It's 2nd & 3rd place that I'm still wondering about

bosindy
11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Awesome! Not sure about a feature but we have been talking about Something...I'll keep you posted.

web series!

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-18-2009, 01:48 PM
This film slam dunk is going to be #1 in both audience and jury picks....

Right now we have about half the jury votes in and I can tell you that they are all over the place.

Probably a result of having programmers, critics, working producers and screenwriters (a diverse panel) that don't know us or what we do, which is a really good thing. They don't know who's popular, who can never seem to win, who always wins, etc. They're merely bringing their personal taste and varied industry experience to bear. One might highly value originality. One might highly value entertainment, etc.

So you shouldn't take that to mean Dispatch or any other film will or won't place anywhere. Only that right now there's no telling and certainly no slam dunk.

No idea what's going on in the DVXuser vote. But the above info should make awaiting the jury vote more interesting :)

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Right now we have about half the jury votes in and I can tell you that they are all over the place.

Probably a result of having programmers, critics, working producers and screenwriters (a diverse panel) that don't know us or what we do, which is a really good thing. They don't know who's popular, who can never seem to win, who always wins, etc. They're merely bringing their personal taste and varied industry experience to bear. One might highly value originality. One might highly value entertainment, etc.

So you shouldn't take that to mean Dispatch or any other film will or won't place anywhere. Only that right now there's no telling and certainly no slam dunk.

No idea what's going on in the DVXuser vote. But the above info should make awaiting the jury vote more interesting :)

Oh hey, that is good news! I'm extremely excited about this jury thing and am quite thankful for it.

FDL film music composer
11-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Great! My own composer rooting for another film. I can't complain. Its a fantastic piece of work.
I've rate very few film this one, troy's film and devil's toy ...Devil's toy have very very good scene like that of discover of bodies (i like them so much), while this one have (IMO) good light, very good visual effect ..devil's film have more complexes changing scenes andgood visual effect like fly on the bodies and I was really really happy to work for Sprocketboy (hope in its feature)

I'm impressed fot dispatch for the blood color, light, camera and so on

but all those video have my 5 stars excellent work guys...looking for yours features

Arturo Sanchez
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
The acting is incredible and the film itself is a prime example of film making at its best.

bwwd
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
So it was internal panasonic mic ?

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I highly doubt it. Why would you ask that was it posted somewhere?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I highly doubt it. Why would you ask that was it posted somewhere?
I believe it was mentioned that he used the audio from the onboard mic for the edit and found it to be quite good, but not good enough for the final version.

It's somewhere in this thread.

Cheers,

Mike

Barry_Green
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Certainly didn't sound like it to me, I'd suspect they used a Zoom or other external recorder.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I believe it was mentioned that he used the audio from the onboard mic for the edit and found it to be quite good, but not good enough for the final version.

It's somewhere in this thread.

Cheers,

Mike

Yeah I used some of the onboard mic audio for Filero Grande (knife vs pipe).
http://www.frenchquarterfeatures.com/mrmean/filero.html
(after he jumps over the fence it's all onboard sound with some foley)

But with the lack of gain control, etc. you couldn't get audio as clean as the sheriff's in Dispatch for example, unless maybe you were 3 feet away from him. It can definitely be used for scratch track and for ambient padding though.

Certainly didn't sound like it to me, I'd suspect they used a Zoom or other external recorder.

Yeah I think it may be slightly better due to consumer mojo than just using your onboard HVX or DVX mic, but not good enough for dialogue etc. Standard sound rules still apply. Directional mic as close to the actor as possible.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Here's where he was talking about it...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1802301&postcount=96

Someone took it to mean that he used that audio but he cleared that up further down.

Horncastle
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I was sure I'd commented on this during round 1 but see I haven't. Anyway, great film, very well made. All the comments have already been made I think so I'll just add that I particularly liked the camera angles/cuts at the end where the angle of view changes a couple of times through nearly 180 and then the monster jumps at you - helps keep the viewer on the edge of their chair I think.
Cheers and thanks for the entertainment.

NOBELO
11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks Michael,
Don't know if I would have found it. We used the Zoom as Jack mentioned. That baby is awesome. For $200 bucks or so the sound came out great.

Here's where he was talking about it...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1802301&postcount=96

Someone took it to mean that he used that audio but he cleared that up further down.

Edgen
11-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Congrats on the win fellas! Great work all around.

Cheers!
/justin

AJ Brooks
11-21-2009, 09:15 AM
A well deserved win in both categories. Bravo!

Rodney V. Smith
11-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Without a doubt, very well deserved win.

Nitsuj
11-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I foreseen the future. Great job fellers. Chalk up another one for the GH1 btw. It would have won if it was on another camera I am sure though.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-21-2009, 10:36 AM
As I said, slam dunk :-)

Congrats, well deserved

Jason Ramsey
11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
If it was a "slam dunk" the ball sure rolled and rattled around the rim, and bounced off the backboard before falling through the hoop.

We had literally no idea who would win the juror vote as they were coming in. It was a back and forth. Dispatch came out ahead... barely, in the end.

Charli
11-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Congrats!

Kellar42
11-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Congratulations, again! Any chance of seeing some of these in HD soon?

hoopman
11-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Who are you? I presume you are someone we all know and that I have met. ... Which makes me think this is an anonymous entry by someone we'd otherwise recognize, I have my guess.

Now that the winners have been announced, care to confirm or deny whether this is an anonymous entry?

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Sure we can reveal it now. Here's the real Nobelo
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/
:)

Gary Sconce
11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow! Wonderful film. I respect your work.

Matt Sconce
11-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Sure we can reveal it now. Here's the real Nobelo
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/
:)

:Drogar-Shock(DBG)::shocked::shocked::eek:................ :beer:

I loved Dungeon Siege. Holy Crap. Welcome to the boards and great film!

Jason Ramsey
11-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Jack was joking by the way :)

Gary Sconce
11-21-2009, 01:50 PM

I knew that...ahem...sure...:embarasse

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-21-2009, 01:51 PM
heheh Gary :)

Matt Sconce
11-21-2009, 01:52 PM

Dang it! I always fall for Jack's wiley schemes!:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Marlon Ladd
11-21-2009, 03:13 PM
CONGRATS!! Excellent work, Nobel.

NOBELO
11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Everyone,
Thanks so much for the votes and for the comments. There isn't a lot of places you can go that will allow you to enter a great festival for FREE, get over 2,000 (frickin incredible) views and win excellent prizes. Not to mention the priceless information you receive from all of your peers in the form of critiques/comments.

There has been some speculation about our entry being anonymous and if you're interested in seeing who was behind it I've posted the correct info on the front of our page. We really wanted to get some honest feedback this time and didn't want our thread to over shadow the other entries so we did in fact opt to enter anonymously.

The reason this film works is because of all the people that helped on it. Although there were only a few of us, everyone did a great job and contributed greatly to this project. It is for this reason that I am coming out and saying these are the people who should be recognized.

Thanks again and I look forward to sharing more BTS photos now that we don't need to stay anonymous.

Gary Sconce
11-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Great job! Congrats!

Matt Sconce
11-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Produced by: Mark Johnson, Luis Sinibaldi, Tim Hyten (Fat Monster Films)
Directed/Edited: Tim Hyten
Boom Op: Blaine Golden
Shot by: Matthew Garrett
Grip/Gaffer/Superpimp: Geoff Reisner
Makeup: Marina Mestaz

Score composed by: Justin Durban
Sound Design: Brad Semenoff

Cast: Rochelle Valles - Tim Abell - David Lloyd Wilson

Shot on GH1 with Anamorphic Lenses

BTS PHOTOS: Post # 150 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=188783&page=15)

WOW! I knew there was a talented crew behind this and asked myself a couple times who it could be. My initial thought was JDS had entered but then he commented on the thread and I thought...hmmmm. I guessed at one point it could be the Fat Monster, but I didn't know if you guys would have had time due to family stuff. I am SOOO glad you did. I loved this film and it freaking rocked. -Matt

Slimothy
11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
WOW! I knew there was a talented crew behind this and asked myself a couple times who it could be. My initial thought was JDS had entered but then he commented on the thread and I thought...hmmmm. I guessed at one point it could be the Fat Monster, but I didn't know if you guys would have had time due to family stuff. I am SOOO glad you did. I loved this film and it freaking rocked. -Matt

I guess I can stop posting as Nobelo (although I actually like that name better than Slimothy.) Thanks so much for the compliments and to be honest we didn't have a lot of time as our schedule was pretty whack. You can always use more time and I'll tell ya, we had very little of it on this project. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks again.

Rodney V. Smith
11-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Dammit Slimothy: you didn't have to do the whole newbie act though. We would have accepted you as competent.

Kmaia
11-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Absolutely fantastic!

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Dammit Slimothy: you didn't have to do the whole newbie act though. We would have accepted you as competent.

Newbie act?

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Absolutely fantastic!

Thanks!

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM

lol, it wasnt an act, it was obvious real quick that it was an anonymous entry from one of the primary dudes

Rodney V. Smith
11-22-2009, 12:49 PM
lol, it wasnt an act, it was obvious real quick that it was an anonymous entry from one of the primary dudes

I actually stand corrected: Slimothy really was clueless about some of the formatting that we've been doing on the DVXFest threads...

Matty_g
11-22-2009, 01:04 PM
I had to help Tim upload the poster that was made for this entry. It was not an act.

Rodney V. Smith
11-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I had to help Tim upload the poster that was made for this entry. It was not an act.

such a sad sad thing isn't it? Time to get him some forum learning skills!

Mark Johnson
11-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Now that we are unmasked, let me say how much we appreciated the work that MATTY G did as DP on the project, assisted by the incomparable GEOFF REISNER.

FAT MONSTER FILMS has enjoyed a long history of working with these talented lensmen and we owe much of what ends up on screen to their talents. Thanks guys.

Edgen
11-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Yay Fat Monsters! :)

Now... How about that Feature film next????

/j

Geoff_R
11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
If anyone was wondering who put up the immaculate wallpaper that can be seen in the film... it was done by Luis and I during many agonizing minutes of slicing, taping and even more slicing...

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Btw, who wrote it? Or came up with the concept?

Noel Evans
11-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Now that we are unmasked

Just goes to show quality shines through even if you give it another name. Top notch guys.

I loved that you did an Anon. I think it illustrates, how reasonable the voters are when it comes to voting for the BEST film.

Noel Evans
11-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Going to give you a gold star on sound as well.

That was in my comments. Who did your sound? Was really impressive.

Matt Harris
11-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Congrats! Well deserved for sure, i was pretty blown away by Dispatch.

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Btw, who wrote it? Or came up with the concept?

The writing process for this short was actually very interesting as we initially had a different concept that we were working on but it quickly became apparent that it would not fit into the proper running time for this fest. After throwing around different ideas we decided to try and make our short under certain conditions:

- We would enter anonymously so we could get honest feedback
- Shoot a story in one location (couldn't afford more than this so we ended up shooting at my parents house in Apple Valley which is 1 hr 40 mins from L.A.)
- Use very few actors (keep costs down.)
- Spend very little money (we didn't have any.)
- Keep crew numbers low (less people to feed.)

After we figured those things out it was pretty challenging to try and come up with a concept that not only works but falls within those parameters as well as the dvxuser rules.

One of the concepts we grew fond of was the idea that we begin the story after a traumatic incident instead of before or during. So we played with various concepts around this idea including: demons, werewolves, zombies, etc. We weren't terribly please with any of them.

As the deadline for the fest came closer we were really in desperation mode because we had a basic story roughed out but not anything solid or near a final draft. Next we decided to go ahead and lock down a shoot date which was to be the 17th of Oct. This gave us very little time for post and even less time to get the script in place and do pre pro of any sort. Anyways, we kept writing and I showed it around a bit to certain people to get some advice. We kept working on it but didn't really get anywhere until the Tuesday before the 17th (shootdate.)

That Tuesday we had an epiphany of some sort on what we needed to do and that's basically how and when we finished it. The script ended up being 2 1/2 pages long.

So the pre pro went like this:

Set up casting call on Monday
Finish/send out script on Wednesday
Audition on Thursday and Friday
Build stake thingy on Friday
Set Dress/Shoot on Saturday

Then the next weekend we did some pick up shots. I think I spent about a week or so editing and Brad Semenoff and Justin Durban finished the sound and score in a day and a half.

Mark Johnson
11-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Brad Semenoff did his usual stellar work for our sound design and, of course, Justin Durban (Edgen) provided our score. I think it's discussed earlier in the thread that we used the Zoom H4n digital audio recorder for sound recording and we were really pleased how well it performed. I've got some BTS footage of Geoff and Luis working with the Zoom that I'll post that is pretty amusing.

As many of you know, we had an elaborate project titled "Dirty World" that we intended to do for this Fest. Unfortunately, our preproduction got sidetracked when my Mom's illness worsened and she passed away. By the time I returned and we reassembled we realized it was going to be impossible to do "Dirty World." Fortunately, though, Tim was really committed to having us shoot something and he wrote the script that eventually became DISPATCH. I have to give him credit for not only keeping FAT MONSTER's feet to the fire, but for working to develop the script into an efficient short. He kept re-working it and sending revisions to Luis, me and others for input until we got a version that we all were satisfied with.

We decided to do a "stealth" entry because in the past we've been aware of comments to the effect that the "Monster hype machine" and friendships from being part of the community for so long might be responsible for some of the voting our projects receive rather than the quality of our work. We did not want to deceive anyone or make a prank out of this. In fact, we did not expect to win but hoped that a solid effort would put us in the finals (before we submitted we saw the entries by Justin (Edgen) and Geoff and were blown away by their work). What we were interested in was honest feedback because we always are very aware that we have much to learn and this community is probably the best resource for constructive critique that we could ask for.

The fact that the entry did well was, of course, heartening to all of us. More importantly, I think it shows that anyone who produces a solid piece can compete and receive attention in these fests. It also was instructive to find that we didn't have to rely on a big crew, my schmooze-meister skills to get locations, props or talent, or a lot of pre-production work to be able to create a nice little short. This all came together in a few days and was shot in one day with a half-day for pickups.

For what it's worth, the project did reaffirm our belief that the major element responsible for any success we have comes from the diverse but complimentary talents that Luis, Tim and I have as a team. This was very much a Tim-led project but it benefited from contributions by Luis and, to a lesser extent, by me. Obviously, the talent of our actress was a huge factor in the film's success. We chose her from an audition the day before we shot and Tim had serious misgivings about her among the candidates. However, Tim trusted and deferred to the fact that he was out-voted by Luis and myself that she was the strongest candidate. As a trio, we have always operated with a "two votes win" approach and although we've had some heated discussions, we've always been able to accept that a decision by any two monsters will bind the third.

I'll conclude this by saying how much we appreciate this community and how pleased we were to be able to show up for the MONSTER FEST. There are a lot of talented filmmakers here and we will look forward to helping those of you who are in our neck of the woods and, especially, to watching the work that you all turn out in future fests. It was great to be back again, but now we've got to turn our attention to making a buck in this crazy industry!

........ you guys rock.

bosindy
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Congrats guys. Well deserved and in many ways I think it your finest work. definitely another leap forward.

ZazaCast
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
- We would enter anonymously so we could get honest feedback
I really don't think this would change the feedback...no one around here has a problem being honest with comments.:laugh:
For me, the anonymous entry raised all kinds of flags, but from the first frame, it was obvious this was FM. Great film guys!

- Shoot a story in one location (couldn't afford more than this so we ended up shooting at my parents house in Apple Valley which is 1 hr 40 mins from L.A.)
- Use very few actors (keep costs down.)
- Spend very little money (we didn't have any.)
- Keep crew numbers low (less people to feed.)

Welcome to my world....and for that matter, most of us amateurs.:2vrolijk_08:

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I really don't think this would change the feedback...no one around here has a problem being honest with comments.:laugh:
For me, the anonymous entry raised all kinds of flags, but from the first frame, it was obvious this was FM. Great film guys!
Welcome to my world....and for that matter, most of us amateurs.:2vrolijk_08:

I kind of disagree because I know sometimes I am less than anxious to leave a bad comment on a movie done by a friend of mine. I think that's normal and we didn't want to deal with the politics. What do you mean by red flags?

Thanks so much for your participation in these fests and for your nice comments.

ZazaCast
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I kind of disagree because I know sometimes I am less than anxious to leave a bad comment on a movie done by a friend of mine. I think that's normal and we didn't want to deal with the politics.

A critique, positive or negitive only goes to help the filmmaker make a better film. Food for thought. An honest review, friend or not, shouldn't be taken personally. It's the only reason I enter films....to learn.

....and I don't have any 'friends' here (well, maybe a few because of the ZazaSlider)!:huh:

What do you mean by red flags?
To be honest, it felt like some uber-filmmaker was swooping in to take the cake. Why else would such a good film be entered anonymously in such an open, sharing community? Fat Monster is a long standing, awesome part of DVXuser...there is so much to learn from you guys. Please, don't be shy.

Thanks so much for your participation in these fests and for your nice comments.

Didn't make it in MonsterFest because the one location fell through, the actor's schedule didn't work, couldn't find any other crew members & the pizza place closed due to the bad economy.....but there's always the next fest!

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it but I've got enough evidence on myself to prove that I'm no uber-filmmaker. Was it that obvious that it was an anonymous entry?

To be honest, it felt like some uber-filmmaker was swooping in to take the cake. Why else would such a good film be entered anonymously in such an open, sharing community? Fat Monster is a long standing, awesome part of DVXuser...there is so much to learn from you guys. Please, don't be shy.

ZazaCast
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it but I've got enough evidence on myself to prove that I'm no uber-filmmaker.
...come to think of it, I do remember seeing a picture of you on all fours on a table? You might be right. I stand corrected, you're a Semi-Uber-Filmmaker!:laugh:

Was it that obvious that it was an anonymous entry?
Yep.

chriscurl
11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I can't wait for you to combine spaceships and vampires into one epic masterpiece!

Love the film btw, congrats on the well deserved win.

AJ Brooks
11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I really love Dispatch and thought this was an incredibly innovative and well told story.

Personally I am glad it was an anonymous entry because I enjoyed it that much more without having the expectation of it being a great film because it was Fat Monster.

To quote what my girlfriend said after she watched Dispatch, "...oh well. Maybe next time AJ." lol

Mark Johnson
11-22-2009, 05:30 PM
I can't wait for you to combine spaceships and vampires into one epic masterpiece!

Love the film btw, congrats on the well deserved win.

Long ago we sat in Blaine's living room and after several bottles of wine we came up with the concept of doing a film titled "Giant Robots and Hot Chicks in Lingerie." I still pray to win the lottery so we can make that film. Hell, the title sells the damn thing itself!

chriscurl
11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Long ago we sat in Blaine's living room and after several bottles of wine we came up with the concept of doing a film titled "Giant Robots and Hot Chicks in Lingerie." I still pray to win the lottery so we can make that film. Hell, the title sells the damn thing itself!

As long as it's better than Michael Bay's version...

Mark Johnson
11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
... To quote what my girlfriend said after she watched Dispatch, "...oh well. Maybe next time AJ." lol

Your GF is a sweetheart! Say, does she like Victoria's Secret and robots???

Seriously, as soon as the viewing opened up somebody who will remain nameless PM'd me the link to your film and said, "this is gonna be in the top 2 for sure." It was awesome man.

J.R. Hudson
11-22-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm in.

AJ Brooks
11-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Your GF is a sweetheart! Say, does she like Victoria's Secret and robots???

She said she's game. Dang you DO have schmoozing skills! ;)

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 06:54 PM
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0258.jpg
Almost the entire crew (L-R): Tim, Rochelle, Mark, Matty, Luis, Geoff

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0246.jpg
The Sound Ninja. You can see the Zoom recorder to the left of Luis clamped onto that light stand.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0269.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0287.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0296.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0144.jpg
Johnson and his good friend, Stella.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/CopyofDSC_0254.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/NOBLEO26/vampbts1.jpg

We'll be posting some BTS stuff since over the next few days. Hopefully it's sort of interesting to look at. Maybe we'll get lucky and Matty can explain his lighting setups.

Matty_g
11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
If anyone has questions I'm more than happy to answer them. Pretty much what you see there is what we were working with. For any specific questions I can do some lighting diagrams.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
If anyone has questions I'm more than happy to answer them. Pretty much what you see there is what we were working with. For any specific questions I can do some lighting diagrams.

Lighting fixtures used and diagrams? :-)

Matty_g
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I can tell you the fixtures now.
Diagrams will come tomorrow when i'm not distracted by my girlfriend ;)

Main set up was a 650 arri w/ chimera and 40 degree grid.
500 watt china and practical tied to the same dimmer
150 watt arri spotted on a painting, and 250 watt practical lamps against the wall.
Walking around some bounce here and there.
Other than that i think we had a 300 and we put a 2k outside.

jasonthewho
11-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Oh man, you guys had me fooled...

I actually think it was for the best that you guys went incognito... I went into this one with absolutely no preconceptions, and thus didn't judge it against your previous work.

Good to see you guys back.

Just noticed that AJ posted basically the same post. Oh well.