PDA

View Full Version : 7D vs GH1 (+ 5D and RED ONE) test on Vimeo

Jean Dantes
10-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Would you guys say these tests are pretty unfair due to lens differences?

http://www.vimeo.com/7313443

http://www.vimeo.com/7315644

This one is ok I think (assuming he used the same lens?):

http://www.vimeo.com/7322302

Ian-T
10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Not the same lens on that last one. The GH-1 had it kit lens on. SOmeone needs to do a test with the same lens on each camera.

Eddy Robinson
10-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Not so informative from a technical point of view due to both Vimeo and different lenses, etc., but interesting nonetheless.

The RED footage was a bit jarring, I wasn't expecting that aggressive grade! I hope it was a very rough transcode, because when pixel-peeping it I was surprised and displeased by the aliasing on things like the woman's hair and the edges of her knuckles - sharper than the Canons, but not in a nice way. Not to blame the camera, but a good example of how quickly a good starting image can go bad with the wrong workflow choices (the shooter acknowledges this was a quick-and-dirty transcode, I'm not accusing him of incompetence).

Didn't find the GH1 comparisons so informative either - I liked the image, but it was a good deal more contrasty; comparing ISO 320 with ISO 100 and using a different is obviously going to result in confusion. I noticed the GH1 footage was more twitchy - I wonder if this is due to the lighter weight of the camera? The slo-mo shoots felt handheld rather than sitting on a tripod. It did turn out nice footage, especially considering you can now pick the GH1 up for ~$600 less than the Canon 7d.

Anyway, very nice footage from both the Canons. The 7d felt a touch softer than the 5d but whether this was due to the sensor or the lens is debatable. I was looking for chroma mung on the actress's heavily textured sweater and the purple sheet in the hospital room, but was pleased to see how clean it looked.

Jean Dantes
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I would also like to see a fair test composed (Barry? :) )

GH1 looks like it doesn't suffer from moire though.

The GH1 is $600 cheaper where you're at!? In Australia, the GH1 is $50 more than the 7D! lol

Barry_Green
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
What more tests do you need/want? I've tested their sharpness in both modes, their dynamic range, their aliasing, their moire, the GH1's mud... what else do you want to know?

Kholi
10-29-2009, 05:29 PM
What more tests do you need/want? I've tested their sharpness in both modes, their dynamic range, their aliasing, their moire, the GH1's mud... what else do you want to know?

Validation that a 1800.00 camera can perform as well as a 17.5K camera. Or, in the same breath, that an 800.00 camera can perform as well as an 1800.00 camera.

I suppose people still want to think that these things can produce incredible images and "take you to the big leagues" -- Hollywood is what some people call it? Even though we've been there for several years. Don't DARE bring up NOVEMBER or 28 Days Later.

None of that is sarcasm, I really believe this is just what it is.

commanderspike
10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
My flatmate interviewed Danny Boyle the other week for the BBC. I wanted him to ask why he didn't direct the sequel to 28 Days Later instead of handing it over to someone else, maybe he lost interest in it? But unfortunately, since my flat mate was to meet him at a football match in Bury, for a sports programme, all they talked about was the bloody football. For christ's sake :)

28 Days Later is a great film, would it have looked better on a HDSLR? Probably not, because they wanted a certain look, almost like CCTV and reality TV. Sometimes worse quality is a creative choice. Had he shot Slumdog Billionaire on an XL1 though, it wouldn't have worked quite so well.

Boyle is a wicked director, one of Manchester's finest. Can't wait to see his follow up to Trainspotting which is in the works.

Jean Dantes
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM

Sorry Barry. What I meant was a direct/fair 7D vs GH1 test, unlike the one in the Vimeo links above.

Since the GH1 and 7D are the same price in Australia, I guess it's different and more crucial for which one I decide to burn my money on. That, and being a broke ass University student...

Jean Dantes
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Actually, forget the tests. Stu's gone and outdone himself:

http://prolost.com/blog/2009/10/22/the-ballad-of-the-gh1.html

noplacia
10-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Would you guys say these tests are pretty unfair due to lens differences?

http://www.vimeo.com/7313443

http://www.vimeo.com/7315644

This one is ok I think (assuming he used the same lens?):

http://www.vimeo.com/7322302

when i did the test, i meant it to compare all the camera (well.. RED is just a bonus :)) in a same project environment, to feel the camera (setting and handling)

I want to simulate if I use all the camera together

i try to have best setting for each camera, with a different lens (that's my limitation, beside my technical knowledge)

when i took a shot, I see 7D have a best (nice warm) picture on camera monitor, GH1 have a 'pink pale' picture, and a 5D have a 'punchy' color picture.. that's the best I can get with all the setting

but it's all change in a computer monitor..

7D become soft
GH1 become warm and have a good contrast
5D having to much contrast

that's my story from my test version

thanks guys

Jean Dantes
10-30-2009, 12:37 AM
when i did the test, i meant it to compare all the camera (well.. RED is just a bonus :)) in a same project environment, to feel the camera (setting and handling)

I want to simulate if I use all the camera together

i try to have best setting for each camera, with a different lens (that's my limitation, beside my technical knowledge)

when i took a shot, I see 7D have a best (nice warm) picture on camera monitor, GH1 have a 'pink pale' picture, and a 5D have a 'punchy' color picture.. that's the best I can get with all the setting

but it's all change in a computer monitor..

7D become soft
GH1 become warm and have a good contrast
5D having to much contrast

that's my story from my test version

thanks guys

That's cool mate. Thanks for taking the time to do the tests :)

Barry_Green
10-30-2009, 09:32 AM
For 7D vs. GH1, there are some clear-cut no-brainer decision makers.

If you want to use 720/60p mode, get the GH1, no questions asked.

If you want to shoot in forests with sunlight glinting through, get the 7D, no questions asked.

If you want to use PL lenses, get the GH1.

If you want to have autofocus during video, get the GH1.

If you're shooting a lot of things that have the potential to have moire, get the GH1. It'll still moire, but it won't add the color-fringing that the 7D does.

If you need long record times (more than 12 minutes at a time), get the GH1.

If you need it weatherproofed, get the 7D.

If you need it PAL/NTSC switchable, get the 7D.

If you need the absolute maximum DOF capability, get the 5D, then the 7D.

If you want the widest variety of available lens choices, get the GH1.

If you refuse to deal with the hassle of stripping out 1080/24p 2:3 pulldown, get the 7D.

If you need the smallest/tiniest camera, get the GH1.

If you need the most robust mud-free compression, get the 7D.

If you prefer to work with compactflash instead of SD, get the 7D.

If you prefer to work with SD instead of compactflash, get the GH1.

If you need the flexibility of positioning that an articulating LCD offers you, get the GH1.

If you need the ability to attach a monitor while shooting, get the 7D (with the understanding that attaching a monitor disables the onboard LCD, so you can't have both)

If you need the ability to monitor you audio through headphones, wait for the next generation.

If you need alias-free imagery, wait for the next generation.

If you need a camera that's robust enough and well-rounded enough to take the place of one of today's video cameras, my advice is to wait until the next generation, although there are certainly plenty of people who are managing to make it work with today's generation.

Rakesh Jacob
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree the GH1 is the best 720p DSLR out.
7Ds native 1080-24p is what made me buy them. I can adapt to not having an articulating LCD, and I prefer to manually focus, but I HATE added steps in post production, I'm just lazy like that.
If you don't need 1080p, the GH1 is by far the best video DSLR out IMO. That little thing has a lot going for it!

khina
10-31-2009, 08:17 AM
folks, the best way to be a filmmaker and artist is to shoot your own footage and do your own DAMN test and comparison. if you're going to waste time on which camera is good and wait for always the next years to come you're not getting very far. I know a guy who waited since 8mm for a camera that can read owners iris. just kidding.

im 28 and I aint waiting for what's next after 1080p, HD, digital. I ain't gonna wait for the next virus cell digital where it multiplies pixel and no need for a mega pixel count. yeah i patented that! :)

i do my own test. if no money i rent and invite other camera owner.

peace if i offend

Osslund
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
For 7D vs. GH1, there are some clear-cut no-brainer decision makers.

If you want to use 720/60p mode, get the GH1, no questions asked.

If you want to shoot in forests with sunlight glinting through, get the 7D, no questions asked.

If you want to use PL lenses, get the GH1.

If you want to have autofocus during video, get the GH1.

If you're shooting a lot of things that have the potential to have moire, get the GH1. It'll still moire, but it won't add the color-fringing that the 7D does.

If you need long record times (more than 12 minutes at a time), get the GH1.

If you need it weatherproofed, get the 7D.

If you need it PAL/NTSC switchable, get the 7D.

If you need the absolute maximum DOF capability, get the 5D, then the 7D.

If you want the widest variety of available lens choices, get the GH1.

If you refuse to deal with the hassle of stripping out 1080/24p 2:3 pulldown, get the 7D.

If you need the smallest/tiniest camera, get the GH1.

If you need the most robust mud-free compression, get the 7D.

If you prefer to work with compactflash instead of SD, get the 7D.

If you prefer to work with SD instead of compactflash, get the GH1.

If you need the flexibility of positioning that an articulating LCD offers you, get the GH1.

If you need the ability to attach a monitor while shooting, get the 7D (with the understanding that attaching a monitor disables the onboard LCD, so you can't have both)

If you need the ability to monitor you audio through headphones, wait for the next generation.

If you need alias-free imagery, wait for the next generation.

If you need a camera that's robust enough and well-rounded enough to take the place of one of today's video cameras, my advice is to wait until the next generation, although there are certainly plenty of people who are managing to make it work with today's generation.

That's pretty good sum up Barry. But if shooting an interview with a fixed camera on a tripod, which camera is best? GH1 in 1080p25 looks tempting to me.

Barry_Green
10-31-2009, 12:52 PM
That's pretty good sum up Barry. But if shooting an interview with a fixed camera on a tripod, which camera is best? GH1 in 1080p25 looks tempting to me.
Either would do extremely well in that situation, that's pretty much where they shine the brightest.

Osslund
10-31-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll flip a coin then ;)

Kholi
10-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Coin Flip: GH-1 has longer recording times. Talking Heads = Talk forever. =D

Ian-T
10-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I agree the GH1 is the best 720p DSLR out.
7Ds native 1080-24p is what made me buy them. I can adapt to not having an articulating LCD, and I prefer to manually focus, but I HATE added steps in post production, I'm just lazy like that.
If you don't need 1080p, the GH1 is by far the best video DSLR out IMO. That little thing has a lot going for it!
I agree with everything you said. It's funny how I've been saying all along that the GH-1 produces a nice sharp image and here we all are full circle. The GH-1's 60p is the nicer looking of the two but, like you, I think the 7D has a better looking 1080/24p image. It's not to say the 60p in the 7D is bad.....cause I've seen some amazing looking shots with it that didn't involve any moire or aliasing. But in that mode the GH-1 seems to be more consistent and predictable. I not only like the 1080/24p in the 7D but also its custom picture controls which I think makes this cam a little more powerful. It's a tough decision for a lot of folks but for me...if I had enough paper i would get both. But we all are not as fortunate as you and Kholi. :) One day... I hope...