PDA

View Full Version : -- Pete's Sake --

hoz
10-28-2009, 01:29 AM
HEY!!!!

my entry.

not my genre of choice but what the HELL ....

Pete's Sake.... coming soon. real soon.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/23303/1256951090.jpg

ZazaCast
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Great! Looking forward to it....

Troy Ruff
10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
nice! another entry! Welcome :)

MrFluffy
10-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Tight deadline, looking forward to seeing it.

JTyner
10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Hope your still in!

Mood Niatrec
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing your entry

hoz
10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
got it in.

now gotta catch up on everything else. i will add my poster to my thread tonight sometime.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Dude: it's night time. Poster time!
Welcome back!

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 05:53 PM
so what is your genre of choice? just curious.

hoz
10-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Dude: it's night time. Poster time!
Welcome back!

rodney! how goes it, friend! i gotta check out your thread, i think i might need a year to read it though! awesome stuff as always. i save your flick for the end because i know it'll be a strong entry.

well, i put the poster up but it doesn't show, it only shows the link. i am thread illiterate. i am sure i did something wrong. sheesh!

hoz
10-30-2009, 07:21 PM
so what is your genre of choice? just curious.

good question. i don't know how to answer it. monster y? i like your banner. gotta check out your thread too, i bet your poster looks cool.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
oh you mean this poster?
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/23303/1256951090.jpg

Glad to see you back in the fray. You've always shown consistent growth and you have quite an imagination there, so I'm sure this will be a fun entry. As for my thread, yeah.. it's a long odysee, you can read the summary of my story here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1796505&postcount=851.

Any summary of your movie?

hoz
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
yes! that poster! nice!

i got no summary. i should have one but i don't. i am awful at selling my own stuff.

i am going to check out your thread now. although i'd almost rather see your movie with no preconceived notions. its more fun!

and thanks much for noticing any improvement! i hope we did here as well. i can tell you one thing - that leo gardini put together an AMAZING soundtrack. and he did it with two days left to go. i also got one of the best screams ever recorded.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the Fest!
Looking forward to seeing what you bring to the table this time around.

BTW, Leo is great! Should be a good score.

MAH

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 02:44 AM
You had sound problems... you could hear the volume adjustments between different dialogues (and the hiss). I think the woman playing the lead vampire was pretty good, but the other actors weren't as believable. It needed to be tightened up in a lot of ways... Yours is one of the ones I need to go back to in order to make more notes.

I think it was a good effort, so keep working at it.

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 09:51 AM
This was a very nice attempt. You need more work on your sound, but it was very enjoyable.

hoz
11-01-2009, 10:49 PM
You had sound problems... you could hear the volume adjustments between different dialogues (and the hiss). I think the woman playing the lead vampire was pretty good, but the other actors weren't as believable. It needed to be tightened up in a lot of ways... Yours is one of the ones I need to go back to in order to make more notes.

I think it was a good effort, so keep working at it.

thanks for feedback. sound ! i ran out of time to properly fix all the levels. should've done much better with that though. brutal. i would be very interested to read your future notes on my flick if you get the opportunity to make them. thanks!

hoz
11-01-2009, 10:50 PM
This was a very nice attempt. You need more work on your sound, but it was very enjoyable.

sound. check.

thanks for the kind words!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Sound was off a tad but I still enjoyed what was going on here. I found the story quite intriguing as well, especially early on.

I got into the vibe that you were going for and it was a pretty fun ride. Maybe a little more coverage in your shots though might help a bit.

Don't be afraid to move that camera around.

Nice work.

MAH

hoz
11-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Sound was off a tad but I still enjoyed what was going on here. I found the story quite intriguing as well, especially early on.

I got into the vibe that you were going for and it was a pretty fun ride. Maybe a little more coverage in your shots though might help a bit.

Don't be afraid to move that camera around.

Nice work.

MAH

thanks much for the words! i would have loved to have moved the camera around a lot more but i ran out of time. we had to pretty much get everything in one day. I almost cut the script down, but i honestly didnt know where i could. so we decided to give it our best and get the whole thing done as best as we could. we barely got in the one shot with the frozen fiance. God, that was our last shot before time absolutely ran out on us. i was terrified before i downloaded it and got a look at it. it wasn't great but it was serviceable. i was sooooo glad to get as much as we did. i so wish for more time!!! that said, it was a great decision to go for it. i would've regretted it if i had attempted nothing.

i was happy with some of the lighting this time as i really tried to improve on that. i bought a boatload of paper lanterns and used them as best as we could.

really looking forward to watching your flick soon! as i am with all of the entrants.

such a trip to make this whole thing happen. and then to get it in on time ( in this case three all nighters ) and then to smile. and then to wonder what the hell did i just did and hope to God i just didn't completely embarrass my crew.

God, that is so scary to me. it's one thing to make a fool of myself, i am used to that, but to stick other people out there? it's one of the hardest things to do. one really needs the thickest of skins to try and be an artist.

anyways, it really does feel good to hear that someone out there appreciates the thing. Michael, you always take the time and for that you RULE. many many thanks.

Rodney V. Smith
11-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Hoz, once again you're thinking outside the box. I really do like the way you think about your stories and I'm so glad that we can look at everything you've done and see your constant progression to being a better filmmaker... and still see the absolutely unique sense of story that you bring to each project. That is easily your biggest asset right there: that vision.

I wonder how far ahead of time you get the story and start scripting. Do you go through a massive amount of rewrites before you get to the script that is the one that is shootable? I'd love to hear more about your development process and see how much time you spend in pre-production. That's something that I felt this film could have benefited from and cleared up some of the script problems. Especially how to present them in an effective visual way.

I liked your lead actress. Excellent choice there. She's a strong one and you need to hang on to her, maybe even write your next script with her in mind. I'd still really like to see you not in front of the camera. This is where I think you will shine even more when you can fully focus on just directing, instead of doing both. You'll find yourself delivering a much stronger piece when you can focus all of your attention. It hard enough shooting and directing but damn... to have to act AND direct? Yowza.

Anyway, this was a fun piece and took me right in the story. Nice subtle dolly move at the start there, but then there was the one shot that took me out of if a little (just a little though)... the one where the vampire walks towards him... the door is closed and she's walking from the back of the closed door... it literally looks like she walked through the door. Just remember to set up the scene so you always know where your characters are coming from.... and where they're going to.

I'm going to stress this one with you one more time by the way. I know you had limited time, but you have gotta focus more on getting those closeups. Remember: the closeup will always save your ass in editing. It gives you something to cut to. You can break up a scene with a closeup, or even extend the scene... the closeup is your tool for pacing.

Okay that's outt my system. :grin:.

All in all it's a good effort and a huge improvement. I always want to watch your film cuz I know you wont let me down with your wacky ideas. Hell I may even want to pick your brain for ideas sometime.

Well done my friend. :beer:

Chris_Keaton
11-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Good job. My only complaint was that I didn't really understand how or why he turned into a vampire. I'll leave all the technical stuff to the experts.

Charli
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I agree with Rod I would have come in with her already in step from the door, she looked posed. Also, when you freeze people, they really have to practice it to come off real. The first guy jittered, the girl friend kept blinking. You need to shoot while her eyes are wide opened and then keep reshooting to get the real effect.

It's hard and tedious, but it can be done. It was okay.

hoz
11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Good job. My only complaint was that I didn't really understand how or why he turned into a vampire. I'll leave all the technical stuff to the experts.

he turned into one when she kissed him. the couple had the spell all wrong.

Rodney V. Smith
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
he turned into one when she kissed him. the couple had the spell all wrong.

See Hoz: we do think alike. My guys got the spell wrong too... but you got to get the special contact lenses. Those were supercool by the way. Good investment.

hoz
11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I agree with Rod I would have come in with her already in step from the door, she looked posed. Also, when you freeze people, they really have to practice it to come off real. The first guy jittered, the girl friend kept blinking. You need to shoot while her eyes are wide opened and then keep reshooting to get the real effect.

It's hard and tedious, but it can be done. It was okay.

yep, i wanted to redo the door scene too except that i couldn't get my two actresses back on the same day to reshoot it. i did wish to see the vampire from far away at that point. i wanted her to be standing at the far side of the room with people buzzing in between her and pete. pete would be struggling to see her but he'd be captivated by her nonetheless. the next shot would be pete sitting on the couch struggling to see her and then cut to the vampire standing right in front of him, as if she floated on over. the fiance would then be standing behind the vampire and would look at the vampire with disdain. then cut back to pete as he "wecolmes" the vampire as she sits down next to him.

oh man, i did not plan on having any sort of problems with people freezing. it is harder than it looks. man that was a miss on my part. a big miss.

thanks for the comments, charli!

hoz
11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
See Hoz: we do think alike. My guys got the spell wrong too... but you got to get the special contact lenses. Those were supercool by the way. Good investment.

thanks! they sucked to wear though!! they were too big and my eyes still don't feel all that great. Carla was such a good sport! the price for art! that said, i want to wear em out one day to work. nothing like freaking out people in public for no good reason. i once wore a large dirty mop looking wig around all these different public places. i looked homeless. the reactions i got... it was quite the experience. people literally ran away. it was quite sad in fact. come to think of it its great for getting to think outside the box. simply go outside the "box".

of course you got to put your brother through make up hell, that must have been kinda fun actually. and then you don't even show it! that must've been really fun!
" hey, brother."
" Yeah."
" look, um, that whole scene with you and the makeup, the stuff that took hours to put on ."
" Yeah?"
" Well, I had a problem."
" Yeah?"
" I couldn't use it."

must make for some neat times at the dinner table. shoot thats a movie right there. the makeup.

hoz
11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Hoz, once again you're thinking outside the box. I really do like the way you think about your stories and I'm so glad that we can look at everything you've done and see your constant progression to being a better filmmaker... and still see the absolutely unique sense of story that you bring to each project. That is easily your biggest asset right there: that vision.

I wonder how far ahead of time you get the story and start scripting. Do you go through a massive amount of rewrites before you get to the script that is the one that is shootable? I'd love to hear more about your development process and see how much time you spend in pre-production. That's something that I felt this film could have benefited from and cleared up some of the script problems. Especially how to present them in an effective visual way.

I liked your lead actress. Excellent choice there. She's a strong one and you need to hang on to her, maybe even write your next script with her in mind. I'd still really like to see you not in front of the camera. This is where I think you will shine even more when you can fully focus on just directing, instead of doing both. You'll find yourself delivering a much stronger piece when you can focus all of your attention. It hard enough shooting and directing but damn... to have to act AND direct? Yowza.

Anyway, this was a fun piece and took me right in the story. Nice subtle dolly move at the start there, but then there was the one shot that took me out of if a little (just a little though)... the one where the vampire walks towards him... the door is closed and she's walking from the back of the closed door... it literally looks like she walked through the door. Just remember to set up the scene so you always know where your characters are coming from.... and where they're going to.

I'm going to stress this one with you one more time by the way. I know you had limited time, but you have gotta focus more on getting those closeups. Remember: the closeup will always save your ass in editing. It gives you something to cut to. You can break up a scene with a closeup, or even extend the scene... the closeup is your tool for pacing.

Okay that's outt my system. :grin:.

All in all it's a good effort and a huge improvement. I always want to watch your film cuz I know you wont let me down with your wacky ideas. Hell I may even want to pick your brain for ideas sometime.

Well done my friend. :beer:

first off, i will tell Carla what you said, she doesn't believe me in that she's any good. God, what kind of director am i, the lead doesn't believe me but nails the performance... hmm....

as for how i think or come up with a script... as for these shorts i first must see a scene that seems cool to do - for that i want something original, fun to see, and hopefully intelligent... hopefully... then i try and work a story around it. it is here i spend most of my time. and i do a ton of rewrites. for this one, my first few cuts were not nearly dark enough. i actually got a lot of help with critique from my crew and from fellow dvxuser jhoe davis. he was to originally help shoot my film with a gh1 but things fell through. that said he asked me to make it darker and then darker still. he was of great help!!

here the scene was the kiss- they kiss and time freezes. i thought that would be way cool. and i built around that. the vampire was originally not a vampire but Aphrodite, the Goddess of lust. as if she was really "alive" in the present day. but the back story got too big to shoot so i used the available monster the vampire.

i do try and keep things simple so i can shoot em. no good if i can't do it. but i suck at simple. as you see here, i get tangential. shoot.

we got to walk through the script before shooting it and we practiced it and worked on the angles that we could pull off in such a short amount of time. and without that we never would have finished.

that said i needed more time, more practice and more trial and error.

and i need more close ups!!!! oh man you are so right and i should know better and still, i missed it.

many thanks for the comments !!!

Rodney V. Smith
11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Next fest, shoot me your script. I'd love to give it some input and a fresh perspective.

hoz
11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Next fest, shoot me your script. I'd love to give it some input and a fresh perspective.

many thanks for the offer ! :beer:

EditPhish
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I said I'd watch again and come back and comment some more :)

I said before I liked your lead actress, but Rodney is right, she was very good.

There are some simple things in the editing that could have helped quite a bit. I kinda feel like you should have cut to the flashback right after the vampire touches her and says "this is your fiance ... you love her"... I think going to the flashback rather than him hearing his fiance's thoughts would have worked better (some of us during our watch-party were confused by the sudden voice of the frozen fiance). Coming out of the flashback, it would have been cool to stick with the scene a bit longer before she realized he had turned. Maybe a glimpse of the vampire with the stake in her chest?

The soundtracked worked for me, but sometimes the mix with other sound/dialogue was off. When you went to silence it was a cool idea, but I felt you held on them too long before revealing that time had stopped (I was right on the edge of saying "why did the music suddenly cut off for no reason?").

Overall it was an interesting story and you did a lot of things right (I liked that subtle dolly movement also). I look forward to your next film!

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
You did many nifty little tricks with the sound mix in this short. I really liked how the music stopped when the mysterious woman kissed the lead actor. Afterwords, you brought in a dramatic score at the right time. The reverse shot of the vampire eyes is great. You did work fast on this one. You used a bare minimum of shots to get your story told. This is not bad, but the lead woman's entrance was not dramatic enough with just the solitary wide shot. I can tell that you were trying to keep the story light-spirited by the way the actors adjusted their performances, but it came across a bit awkward. Overall, you manage to get this story told without confusion, and that is hardest part of storytelling. Thanks for entering.

Marlon Ladd
11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey, man. Checked out the film! It definitely kept my attention and was entertaining. I know you had a limited number of people to pull of the party atmosphere at the house, but I think it actually worked for you. I thought the acting worked as well and you had a pretty good story. Maybe you could have added a few more close-ups and over-the-shoulder angles, but that's just my opinion. Also the scream at the end could have been more gut-wrenching, but overall you pulled it together and made a nice film. Good work.

jasonthewho
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
This had some cool things going for it. Namely the time freezing, which was done really well, minus a couple of blinks that you could probably edit around. Also, the guy's eyes at the end are awesome.

I thought two things were particularly weak for me, the beginning and the flashback. I think there was too much headroom in the very first shot, and the second shot is awkward. I think getting some tight close-ups of drinks, people laughing, etc. would have helped to up the energy in the beginning.

The flashback comes too late for me. I would put it right after he says, "I'm going to regret this." Then we don't know who he's going to kill. As it is, the tension is lost when you go to the flashback, because we already know the outcome.

The performances were good for me, and there were definitely some cool concepts at work here.

ramsaur
11-05-2009, 05:08 AM
The eyes were really awesome looking on her and him. The girl did a good job of acting. The time freeze was cool along with the music stopping when they froze. It was pretty good, just wish you could show a little more.

hoz
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I said I'd watch again and come back and comment some more :)

I said before I liked your lead actress, but Rodney is right, she was very good.

There are some simple things in the editing that could have helped quite a bit. I kinda feel like you should have cut to the flashback right after the vampire touches her and says "this is your fiance ... you love her"... I think going to the flashback rather than him hearing his fiance's thoughts would have worked better (some of us during our watch-party were confused by the sudden voice of the frozen fiance). Coming out of the flashback, it would have been cool to stick with the scene a bit longer before she realized he had turned. Maybe a glimpse of the vampire with the stake in her chest?

The soundtracked worked for me, but sometimes the mix with other sound/dialogue was off. When you went to silence it was a cool idea, but I felt you held on them too long before revealing that time had stopped (I was right on the edge of saying "why did the music suddenly cut off for no reason?").

Overall it was an interesting story and you did a lot of things right (I liked that subtle dolly movement also). I look forward to your next film!

many thanks for the detailed comments. most helpful. didn't think about putting the flashback anywhere but where i did. not against showing the vamp getting thunked and this would've been cooler but i unfortunately had no time to pull it off. sound was off all over the place, ugh.
i will pass on words to Carla. many thanks for sharing!

hoz
11-05-2009, 11:35 AM
This had some cool things going for it. Namely the time freezing, which was done really well, minus a couple of blinks that you could probably edit around. Also, the guy's eyes at the end are awesome.

I thought two things were particularly weak for me, the beginning and the flashback. I think there was too much headroom in the very first shot, and the second shot is awkward. I think getting some tight close-ups of drinks, people laughing, etc. would have helped to up the energy in the beginning.

The flashback comes too late for me. I would put it right after he says, "I'm going to regret this." Then we don't know who he's going to kill. As it is, the tension is lost when you go to the flashback, because we already know the outcome.

The performances were good for me, and there were definitely some cool concepts at work here.

thanks for the detailed comments! good pickups too. after seeing the beginning to the other party vampire movie i am almost embarrassed to show my flim's "party", that film nailed it!

thank you for the words! they really help.

Hey, man. Checked out the film! It definitely kept my attention and was entertaining. I know you had a limited number of people to pull of the party atmosphere at the house, but I think it actually worked for you. I thought the acting worked as well and you had a pretty good story. Maybe you could have added a few more close-ups and over-the-shoulder angles, but that's just my opinion. Also the scream at the end could have been more gut-wrenching, but overall you pulled it together and made a nice film. Good work.

thank you for the comments! yeah, i missed out on getting enough close ups.
glad you liked it!

You did many nifty little tricks with the sound mix in this short. I really liked how the music stopped when the mysterious woman kissed the lead actor. Afterwords, you brought in a dramatic score at the right time. The reverse shot of the vampire eyes is great. You did work fast on this one. You used a bare minimum of shots to get your story told. This is not bad, but the lead woman's entrance was not dramatic enough with just the solitary wide shot. I can tell that you were trying to keep the story light-spirited by the way the actors adjusted their performances, but it came across a bit awkward. Overall, you manage to get this story told without confusion, and that is hardest part of storytelling. Thanks for entering.

thank you for the detailed comments!
they definitely help!

The eyes were really awesome looking on her and him. The girl did a good job of acting. The time freeze was cool along with the music stopping when they froze. It was pretty good, just wish you could show a little more.

thank you for taking the time to comment! i think Carla did great too.

Susanne G.
11-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I love your actor. He has a fantastic presence and he also show this lovely naiv character. After some of your films I get the idea that he is you and I think: hoz ......this actor......John Jacob Smith! Probably I would love a sequel of 'John Jacob Smith'. The film is still im my mind and this is a good sign. I am not sure how good worked this story. I didn't really get it, if you did a serious monster film or you was kidding the theme. The actress (which played the monster) was for my taste a bit rigid, but I loved the frozen scene.

Susanne

hoz
11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I love your actor. He has a fantastic presence and he also show this lovely naiv character. After some of your films I get the idea that he is you and I think: hoz ......this actor......John Jacob Smith! Probably I would love a sequel of 'John Jacob Smith'. The film is still im my mind and this is a good sign. I am not sure how good worked this story. I didn't really get it, if you did a serious monster film or you was kidding the theme. The actress (which played the monster) was for my taste a bit rigid, but I loved the frozen scene.

Susanne

many thanks for the comments. i do appreciate them very much and thank you for taking the time to always leave your thoughts. :beer:

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I have to say, Christian Hozven's films are a kind of guilty pleasure to me! They have a kind of American suburban camp to every tale that seems so community inspired. I almost wonder if those who get involved in these particular films don't actually have a lot of fun - and thats not to suggest we don't but these films are obviously not intending to be technical masterpieces.

Yes you could push yourself hoz to better production standards, and i think more exploratory stories that go beyond the 'quaint, comedic, charming, soft' elements you have often on display. There not bad qualities whatsoever - they make your films endearing.

But i wonder if the next festival might not be a great chance for you to showcase something 'dangerous' in both film and performance.

The performances in this were a little wooden, the atmosphere hardly terrifying, but its a kind of fun light hearted adventure. All of your films seem to be hoz, and you as an actor are a kind of character (the same character almost) which is a likeable character in fact!

hoz
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I have to say, Christian Hozven's films are a kind of guilty pleasure to me! They have a kind of American suburban camp to every tale that seems so community inspired. I almost wonder if those who get involved in these particular films don't actually have a lot of fun - and thats not to suggest we don't but these films are obviously not intending to be technical masterpieces.

Yes you could push yourself hoz to better production standards, and i think more exploratory stories that go beyond the 'quaint, comedic, charming, soft' elements you have often on display. There not bad qualities whatsoever - they make your films endearing.

But i wonder if the next festival might not be a great chance for you to showcase something 'dangerous' in both film and performance.

The performances in this were a little wooden, the atmosphere hardly terrifying, but its a kind of fun light hearted adventure. All of your films seem to be hoz, and you as an actor are a kind of character (the same character almost) which is a likeable character in fact!

many thanks for the review, lawrie! -- yes, i will push myself for better prod standards! the last thing i hoped for was for us to come off as a bunch of neighborhood folksters slapsticking something together during those few hours after loitering at the mall and before deciding which fast food joint to entertain, but i can more than see where where my lack of expertise can more than point you and others in that direction. quite simply - darn. i got a lot of room for improvement! there are films here which are simply fantastic to look at and i am so glad that they are here to help lead the way.
i will do my best to go somewhere deeper too. or at the very least, different than from what i have written before. we shall see?

again, many thanks for the comments - :beer:

lawriejaffa
11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
A pleasure to give them, and a pleasure to be entertained by your delightful films.