View Full Version : ---[] One Percent []---

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
http://morecowbellpictures.com/Pics/DVX_One_Percent_Poster.jpg

Starring
Ian Quick and Sophie Van Remortel
(VO) Jennifer Barnes

Written/Shot/Directed/Edited by Michael Anthony Horrigan
Score by Herman Witkam http://www.herman-witkam.com (http://www.herman-witkam.com/)
Visual Special Effects by Justin R Durban http://www.justindurban.com/
Closing VFX shot by Doug Sinclair
Production Assistant: Denis Haineault

GRABS

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/pics/cc.jpg

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/pics/cc2.jpg

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/pics/cc3.jpg

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/Pics/Glass.jpg

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/Pics/EYE.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
CAST

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/23237/1256706005.jpg

Sophie Van Remortel

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/23237/1256706129.jpg

Ian Quick

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
During the last Fest that I entered (Twilight Fest) I did a bit of a breakdown as to how I made the short from beginning to end.
For those that might be interested I'm going to do a bit of the same for this one.

I'll start with the gear. Nothing fancy...

Shot the entire thing with the little Canon HV20. No adapters, stock.
Homemade dolly got a real workout this Fest.
Rented a sennheiser boom mic.
No lights for this one, just used practicals sitting around the house.
Pissy broken tri-pod. I should really get a new one. :)

As most shorts start mine blossomed with a simple idea. Since I was running into problems with my original concept I decided to run with this new one.
I really just wanted to get another short under my belt so I made some changes in order to make it happen.

So I got down to putting my ideas on paper and rounded up a small cast. I also found a great child actress that was really good to work with.
She was a real trooper and listened quite well. Ian was also quick to jump in which I really appreciated.

Now here's a brief breakdown for each of the grabs that I posted.

The first was a dolly shot. The room was lit with nothing but what you see. Just the light of the fish tank and the small lamp on the bookshelf.
There is also very little light coming in from the hallway in this shot. If memory serves I was locked at around 1/48 F2.6 in cinemode.

Staged the room exactly as I needed which took some time. Slow dolly in.

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/pics/cc2.jpg

This shot was lit as it was in the opening shot. Nothing more than the lamp above it.
Repositioned the dolly, adjusted the exposure a bit and took the shot.

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/pics/cc.jpg

Moved in closer. I wanted close to the same angle as the shot before it, just a bit of the ballerina in the reflection.
As you can deduce from the two shots, she's turning.

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/pics/cc3.jpg

This shot was lit by a tall standing 60w lamp in the room, some noise pattern light from a flat screen LCD and possibly some scattered light from the adjacent kitchen.
We may have moved the lamp closer for this shot, I can't recall. Hand-held and zoomed in quite a bit for some DOF.
The hand and glass is fairly sharp while he remains quite out of focus for this shot, as does the table.

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/Pics/Glass.jpg

This was a tripod shot with the identical lighting conditions as the previous shot above.
Save that his positioning was closer to the the light being cast from the kitchen. I may have added a small table lamp.
I'll have to ask Denis, he was a big help and might remember. Locked down the shot and grabbed focus.

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/Pics/EYE.jpg

More to come later.

MAH

ZazaCast
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Welcome....again......

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
No need for more welcomes but I will accept beer. :beer:

jasonthewho
10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
For a second I was like "Another one?" and then I realized this was just a new thread for the same film.

Why the title change?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2009, 06:30 AM
This title suits the movie much more. That and there have been a few changes made during the edit to encompass it.
The old thread was started for a completely different concept so I decided to avoid confusion and go with a new one.

MAH

Marlon Ladd
10-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Well, I guess we better start posting post after post to get this one as many hits as the other one.

Marlon Ladd
10-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Another post for me - 30 more to go here and I've done my part!

Rodney V. Smith
10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
a new thread? are you crazy??? wait a minute... you ARE crazy. forgot who I was talking to.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
a new thread? are you crazy??? wait a minute... you ARE crazy. forgot who I was talking to.
Crazy as a fox! If you read the first half of the old thread it's about a different movie. Newbies might get confused. :happy:

Looking forward to finishing this up. I just threw a slight curve ball at Herman and now I have to change my name. :huh:

Just received a final FX shot that is looking sweet! Now to finish polishing. I hope to upload tomorrow.

MAH

Herman Witkam
10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Sound mix is done :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
And it is sweet! Thanks so much. :2vrolijk_08:

Sprocketboy
10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Where did you go? Oh, there you are!

Edgen
10-28-2009, 10:07 PM
herman.. ha! we are finally working on a project together. :)

Cheers!
/j

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Cheers!
/jReally? First time? Cool!

Glad I could bring you two gifted mad men together. :D

MAH

Marlon Ladd
10-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Mike, sorry I got your message late. I was editing. Came across a few last minute issues, but now they're resolved (me thinks).

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Backup copy uploaded!

If I get a few more tweaks done and a possible VFX shot that I'm waiting for then I'll upload a second version before the deadline.

Nice to know that I'll have something entered regardless.

MAH

Marlon Ladd
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Good strategy. I just advised somebody to do the same thing.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Lucky 13! :)

13. One Percent (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=188542) - Michael Anthony Horrigan - Uploaded - Approved

MAH

Herman Witkam
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Cheers!
/j

Yes! And it was about time :D

Looking forward to seeing your VFX work!

Denis Haineault
10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Man I really can't wait to see the final result.

With the latest changes, I don't know what to expect...just the way I like it :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-29-2009, 06:42 PM
You guys both have emails. Thanks again for all your help.

MAH

Sprocketboy
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
You lucky devil. You're number 13 on the submission list. I wanted that number.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Uploaded the final version with a slight CC/FX tweak.
Time to relax.

Can't wait to see everyone's 'Monster'.

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Great!

hoz
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
really like your work so i can't wait to see what you got this time!

ramsaur
10-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think I've ever seen your work. So I'll be looking forward to this. And also because I like your post production crew.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think I've ever seen your work. So I'll be looking forward to this. And also because I like your post production crew.

sacre bleu!! You never watched "Calls From The Führerbunker"? You were in Twilightfest dude. You had to have seen it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2009, 09:33 PM
really like your work so i can't wait to see what you got this time!
Thanks!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
sacre bleu!! You never watched "Calls From The Führerbunker"? You were in Twilightfest dude. You had to have seen it.
Guess I didn't get that vote. :huh:

Shouldn't be allowed to vote unless you watch them all. He could have at least thrown me a vote in the second round (Finals). :)

LOL!

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Guess I didn't get that vote. :huh:

Shouldn't be allowed to vote unless you watch them all. He could have at least thrown me a vote in the second round (Finals). :)

LOL!

Ramsaur: hide your face in shame.

jasonthewho
10-31-2009, 07:47 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

This is a really interesting short. It's got a great atmosphere, and a killer sound design. Not sure if I entirely get it, but I think I got enough. The shot selection was great, although I don't think we need to see him put the drink back down. You could cut right after the sniff when he's leaned back. Didn't bother me though, just seemed extraneous.

The little girl was very good in her dialogue scene, very creepy. I generally like Ian, and he wasn't bad in this, but I think he was pushing a little hard on a few lines. Some cool special effects too. The practical lighting worked for me on everything except the kitchen scene. I just hate that much down light on a face, personally. The bedroom scenes were gorgeous though.

Overall a very intriguing short, made me think, and I'm sure I'll want to revisit it later.

Mark Johnson
10-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Hmmmm. I've downloaded twice and it won't play for me. Guess I'll try again since it obviously is working for you Jason.

Herman Witkam
10-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Hmmmm. I've downloaded twice and it won't play for me. Guess I'll try again since it obviously is working for you Jason.

The version in the archive didn't work for me, but the separate download did.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

This is a really interesting short. It's got a great atmosphere, and a killer sound design. Not sure if I entirely get it, but I think I got enough. The shot selection was great, although I don't think we need to see him put the drink back down. You could cut right after the sniff when he's leaned back. Didn't bother me though, just seemed extraneous.

The little girl was very good in her dialogue scene, very creepy. I generally like Ian, and he wasn't bad in this, but I think he was pushing a little hard on a few lines. Some cool special effects too. The practical lighting worked for me on everything except the kitchen scene. I just hate that much down light on a face, personally. The bedroom scenes were gorgeous though.

Overall a very intriguing short, made me think, and I'm sure I'll want to revisit it later.I'm glad it was one of the first you watched, also glad you liked it. Yah, the practical lighting really worked out for the little HV20 that could. I actually love that pot light shining down on his head in the kitchen. I like the directness of it with very little scatter.

I'm also glad that it made you think. I think most people might need to take a second look to take it all in and that would make me quite happy. :)

In the end, it's a very simple story. All told within around 4 minutes.

Thanks for commenting.

PS - Thanks for noticing the sound design.
I gave Herman a lot of foley/ambience to mix in this one. He worked it in with the score seamlessly. Great final mix.

To anyone who watches. If you are not using headphones or a kick ass system with a sub then you are missing a lot.

Cheers,

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2009, 09:04 PM
The version in the archive didn't work for me, but the separate download did.I think Larry is working on it.

Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Simon Höfer
10-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey Michael!

Kick ass short film man! I loved it. Even though the ending was a bit MEH at first. But it settles in after some time. Even thought about it when I just took a shower.

The atmosphere was great! Awesome camera work and sound design. My girlfriend was holding her hands in front of her face and just watched though a gap between her fingers :D Just like when we watched the film "The orphanage", if you have seen this one.

Have to rewatch it on my big sound system once I get back to germany in december. :)

Some gripes: I have to agree with Jason, that the sniff of Ian could be a little bit shorter and he was pushing a little hard on a few lines.

But overall great short! You get better every time!

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 01:52 AM
It looked really good but your color correction kinda seemed all over the place (inconsistent). I liked the soundtrack and the sound work you did. It also, to me, felt more Sci-Fi than monster movie.

I did enjoy watching it though, so overall thumbs up :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 04:56 AM
It looked really good but your color correction kinda seemed all over the place (inconsistent). I liked the soundtrack and the sound work you did. It also, to me, felt more Sci-Fi than monster movie.

I did enjoy watching it though, so overall thumbs up :)Thanks. The colour correction was actually pretty consistent, it's just the girls room that looks quite different from everything else. That was done purposely.
Yes, it was very Sci-Fi. Nothing wrong with that, the theme is wide open.

As you watch the rest of the films you'll see that some of them don't even have anything remotely resembling a monster. It's up to interpretation.
Mine's just alien in nature, that's the direction I went with. Not all aliens are like E.T. :)
Think 'invasion of the body snatchers' on a more personal level.

Thanks for watching.

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Hey Michael!

Kick ass short film man! I loved it. Even though the ending was a bit MEH at first. But it settles in after some time. Even thought about it when I just took a shower.

The atmosphere was great! Awesome camera work and sound design. My girlfriend was holding her hands in front of her face and just watched though a gap between her fingers :D Just like when we watched the film "The orphanage", if you have seen this one.

Have to rewatch it on my big sound system once I get back to germany in december. :)

Some gripes: I have to agree with Jason, that the sniff of Ian could be a little bit shorter and he was pushing a little hard on a few lines.

But overall great short! You get better every time!Wow! Thanks for the glowing review, Simon! Glad that it stuck in your head afterward.

I'm thrilled that your GF was freaked out a bit by it as well. :)
Yah, even just use headphones if you have them. Herman really worked his magic on this one.

Thanks again,

MAH

Zim
11-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Nice job on the film. I liked the acting and sound. The scene when the "monster" is in the room and turns, then the door slams!! That gave me a chill. I liked the ending myself.
When I started the viewing I downloaded and watched your film first. Nice work again.

Mark Johnson
11-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I've been a Horrigan fan for a long time and have found his work to be in the top tier consistently (I still think that "Calls From The Führerbunker" should have won Twilight Fest, but I digress).

I don't think anybody does so much with so little as he does (he is essentially a one-man crew). As a result, he reaps the rewards of developing multi-faceted talents in the full spectrum of filmmaking. The pacing and camera work in this short is really fine. There is a lot of subtlety that only comes from working at the craft and I hope to see Horrigan films for as long as there are DVXUSER fests. Mike, you truly do elevate these proceedings.

My critical notes are few. I don't like telephone conversations where the other party isn't shown and her voice is not filtered. That isn't the voice he is hearing so it takes me out of the film because it seems she's behind the camera or otherwise in the room. I also have to say that Spielberg has pretty much ruined any shot of a snowy tv coming on when a little girl is missing. I found myself saying to the screen "they're here" and, again, it kind of took me out of it just because of that association (obviously, my critiques are minor when I'm blaming you for being too Spielberg-like. :)

I really liked the opening shots that were graded so warm in contrast to the dark and desaturated grim world of the father. You write well and your scripts always show it. I also never fail to enjoy watching Ian. He's a fine actor and is a chameleon.

Well done in all respects and definitely among the best I've seen so far.

Marlon Ladd
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Mike, great work! I love the story and again your use of the dolly was excellent. The special effects were subtle, but frightening at the same time. Ian and Sophie did a great job and of course the score was off-the-chain. You did an excellent job with the natural light - I know how difficult that was for you. I love the shot of the pot on the stove. Very creative and something I would not have thought of.

Nice work.

Marlon Ladd
11-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I've been a Horrigan fan for a long time and have found his work to be in the top tier consistently (I still think that "Calls From The Führerbunker" should have won Twilight Fest, but I digress).

I agree 100%. I think it fit the festival theme great (I digress).

Denis Haineault
11-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Really liked it. One of my favorite so far. I may be a bit biased though.

Pocusproductions
11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Well I am not biased... and I will say definately one of my favorites so far. Fantastic dolly work, sets the pace and mood very well. My favorite shot is of the ballerina CU on the music box. I love how you shot it 2.35 as well. Great job man!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Just got back from helping my brother and his GF move from two apartments into one. Colour me exhausted.

I really liked the opening shots that were graded so warm in contrast to the dark and desaturated grim world of the father. You write well and your scripts always show it. I also never fail to enjoy watching Ian. He's a fine actor and is a chameleon.

Well done in all respects and definitely among the best I've seen so far.
Thanks, Mark! Glad you enjoyed it. BTW, the phone voice was filtered. Not overdone but I definitely used the phone filter via adobe soundbooth.
I'm thrilled that you noticed the contrast between the two grades! The Dad's life was much more subdued yet the daughters room was aglow with colour.

I don't think anybody does so much with so little as he does (he is essentially a one-man crew). As a result, he reaps the rewards of developing multi-faceted talents in the full spectrum of filmmaking. The pacing and camera work in this short is really fine. There is a lot of subtlety that only comes from working at the craft and I hope to see Horrigan films for as long as there are DVXUSER fests. Mike, you truly do elevate these proceedings.

Having never even placed in the top 3 around here I really appreciate these comments. You made my day. :)

Thanks again.

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Mike, great work! I love the story and again your use of the dolly was excellent. The special effects were subtle, but frightening at the same time. Ian and Sophie did a great job and of course the score was off-the-chain. You did an excellent job with the natural light - I know how difficult that was for you. I love the shot of the pot on the stove. Very creative and something I would not have thought of.

Nice work.Thanks.

Yah, using practical light with the HV20 was a challenge at times but one that I enjoyed. I also didn't want to overdue it with the VFX but Justin and Doug did admirably in that regard. Really well done.

Cheers!

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Really liked it. One of my favorite so far. I may be a bit biased though.
You are biased, but I'll take it. :happy:
Thanks again for your help.

Well I am not biased... and I will say definately one of my favorites so far. Fantastic dolly work, sets the pace and mood very well. My favorite shot is of the ballerina CU on the music box. I love how you shot it 2.35 as well. Great job man! Thanks very much.

MAH

Charli
11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
The opening, "super" of the explanation of those who are missing I thought made the short film start out with an authenticity, so good job on that.

I thought the story was well put together but the monster was more implied than registered.

Did hold my interest. Good job.

Blaine
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
The little girl actually gave me the chills with her line: "Daddy...it's your turn, now."

That's never happened to me before with a DVXUser entry in any fest. For that alone I can say you did a great job on this. But there was a lot more to it than that and it probably set things up to GET that reaction.

Of all the entries I've seen of yours, this is my favorite.

Chris_Keaton
11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
This film is in my top ten. Sure that vote of confidence will make you feel good, but don't let that go to your head. This was easily the best sci-fi monster film in this fest. Ok, sure my sci-fi monster movie didn't make it, damn that am versus pm confusion.
I think the ending was satisfying and I must say the girls line was great. Good Job!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
The little girl actually gave me the chills with her line: "Daddy...it's your turn, now."

That's never happened to me before with a DVXUser entry in any fest. For that alone I can say you did a great job on this. But there was a lot more to it than that and it probably set things up to GET that reaction.

Of all the entries I've seen of yours, this is my favorite.
You made my day! I've had my day made twice in one day. :)

I really appreciate your opinion on this one.

Cheers,

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
This film is in my top ten. Sure that vote of confidence will make you feel good, but don't let that go to your head. This was easily the best sci-fi monster film in this fest. Ok, sure my sci-fi monster movie didn't make it, damn that am versus pm confusion.
I think the ending was satisfying and I must say the girls line was great. Good Job!Thanks, man. Glad you really enjoyed it.

MAH

Mark Johnson
11-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Michael. Am I dreaming or didn't you at one time consider shooting something at a motel? I could have sworn that .... but maybe I'm thinking of someone else. ....

Any comments on working with a child? I've never done that and its clearly something difficult.

Jason Ramsey
11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
You have a knack for making the HV20 look like 10 grand in gear :)

The framing, tempo, and shot selection is always very enjoyable...

I seem to remember a music box in another of your films :)

You also always tend to have solid stories that work well standing on their own in a 6 minute time frame... A firm beginning, middle, and end.

Give the man an HV20, a dolly/slider, and a fest and he'll consistently produce top 10 entries... You are quite the veteran of the fests now... Wonder if this will be the time you crack the top 3? :)

Thanks for taking the time to enter another fest. I'm glad I was able to watch your film....

I really liked the final shot.

later,
jason

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey Michael. Am I dreaming or didn't you at one time consider shooting something at a motel? I could have sworn that .... but maybe I'm thinking of someone else. ....

Any comments on working with a child? I've never done that and its clearly something difficult.
Yah, damn, I liked that story as well. The Motel owner and the lead actor both dropped out on me at the last minute so I had to scramble.
Then I found myself packing for a move and told my wife... don't touch anything in Madison's room as I had an idea.

Sophie was great! What a trooper. She did have the giggles quite often but I made sure that we kept things pretty serious on set and even told Ian to stop clowning around with her in between scenes. In a nice way of course. :)

In the end she gave me plenty to work with. I really wish we had more time with this one though. It was fairly last minute and packing for the move made things tough.

Kids can be great though. Patience is definitely key.
Sophie was actually really into it though and she took direction extremely well.

MAH

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Michael!! Damn dude, this short gave me spooks, a big congrats!

Loved the end twist, loved the fx on the girl! Though I have to tease you for the I-just-had-a-nightmare-so-I'll-wash-my-face-like-everyone-else shot :-D

The couple's convo seemed only for exposition and was very on the nose, I would have liked to have seen that info conveyed without that.

Well done!

TMerry
11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice Job Michael! I think the simplicity of the flick gave it lots of impact. You didn't try and do too much, and what you did, you did very well. Good timing, cinematography, and the young girls acting was very good. The soundtrack was understated and matched the mood perfectly.
I missed seeing a monster in it, unless it was the girl, and yet not seeing a monster is exactly waht the film needed.

One of my top faves for sure ;-)

Good job buddy!

TMerry
11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
PS, extra props for the special effects on the girl!!! After Effects and cinema 4d??

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Give the man an HV20, a dolly/slider, and a fest and he'll consistently produce top 10 entries... You are quite the veteran of the fests now... Wonder if this will be the time you crack the top 3? :)

later,
jasonProbably not. But one can hope. :) BTW, the closing shot is outside my new house.
Shot that at the very last minute. A local buddy did some great FX on it.

Shawn, glad I could spook you a bit. Always a good reaction in my book. :thumbup:

Nice Job Michael! I think the simplicity of the flick gave it lots of impact. You didn't try and do too much, and what you did, you did very well. Good timing, cinematography, and the young girls acting was very good. The soundtrack was understated and matched the mood perfectly.
I missed seeing a monster in it, unless it was the girl, and yet not seeing a monster is exactly waht the film needed.

One of my top faves for sure ;-)

Good job buddy!Nice comments! Take a closer look at the girls face in the mirror. Justin really outdid himself in the VFX department. Herman did nail the score, I love it.

Another reminder, use headphones! The sound design/score is really kicking. That mirror scene also has a few audio touches that finish it off.

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
PS, extra props for the special effects on the girl!!! After Effects and cinema 4d??Ah, you caught that! :)

AE for sure. I'll ask Justin if he wants to jump in and explain the rest.

Thanks,

Mike

Brandon Rice
11-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Good work MAH :D

I am a bit confused... was it aliens? :) The acting was quite good... your staple performer in there I noticed :thumbsup:

As I finish my comments... What was the most difficult thing about the writing of this short? Thanks!

Jason Ramsey
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
BTW, the closing shot is outside my new house

Nice house.... :)

I think your male was a bit weak this time around, but your daughter was pretty fab.... The final shot really kinda seals the deal on this for me and put this one in a handful...

Films are appealing to me for different reasons this time around than I think they have in past fests... "Personality" seems to be drawing me into films this time around.

cinealma
11-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Big fan, as you know. This is another film that felt very X-Files to me. What I like best about your style of filmmaking is how subtle you are with things that others might go a lot bigger with. The alien, for example. If you would have showed us more than you did, I don't think it would had the same effect. The same sequence, you showed the daughter on the floor, something happening to her, and by only showing just enough, you kept the atmosphere up that you intended.

The phone call scene was for the me the only part that needed a little work. And it was pretty much the dialogue that needed it. Too much exposition there and it also felt a little off in terms of characters. I think the film would have been better served by ditching the phone call and showing us some things that would help us understand that three years have passed, he and his wife are now divorced (or were they separated/divorced when it happened?) caused by the abduction of their daughter, etc.

From reading the thread, I know what you went through to get the film made for the fest. I'm sure given more time and focus, some of the script kinks would have been ironed out.

Oh, and again, I LOVE the shots of the bedroom lit by the fish tank.

Nice film. Always a pleasure. Thanks for sharing!

Rodney V. Smith
11-02-2009, 03:17 AM
Mr Horrigan. I loved the script and it made the transition to film so seamlessly... it was almost like watching what I had seen in my head.. just with the typical Horrigan vision on it of course.

As always big fan of your work and just watching what you do and always setting that style, that sense of dread in your movies... fucking brilliant.

This was a solid film and it's one that really grows on you even after you've finished viewing. So that's always a good thing.

Only thing that I was say didn't quite work for me was Ian's acting in the bedroom. It felt just a little bit off, a little too much. He's always such a solid actor too, but that one scene with him didn't work.

Love the stove shot!

Great movie, in my top 3 for sure. Excellent work as always.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Nice house.... :)

I think your male was a bit weak this time around, but your daughter was pretty fab.... The final shot really kinda seals the deal on this for me and put this one in a handful...
Thanks, Jason. Sophie is not my daughter though. I gave her my daughters name in the movie but my daughter is only six. Sophie is a great little local actress.

Big fan, as you know. This is another film that felt very X-Files to me. What I like best about your style of filmmaking is how subtle you are with things that others might go a lot bigger with. The alien, for example. If you would have showed us more than you did, I don't think it would had the same effect. The same sequence, you showed the daughter on the floor, something happening to her, and by only showing just enough, you kept the atmosphere up that you intended.

Thanks! I always believe that less is more. Once you see too much the effect tends to lessen itself. That's just my opinion though.

Great movie, in my top 3 for sure. Excellent work as always.

Thanks, Rodney! Much appreciated.

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Good work MAH :D

I am a bit confused... was it aliens? :) The acting was quite good... your staple performer in there I noticed :thumbsup:

As I finish my comments... What was the most difficult thing about the writing of this short? Thanks!Sorry, missed this one.

What was it that gave it away!? The little alien face in the mirror? The opening with the suggestion of 'special' abduction?
Or was it the shadow of the mother ship showing up above the house at the end? :D

j/k Brandon!

BTW, watch that final shot closely and you will even see some heat distortion near the top. Subtle, but it's there.

Thanks, I think Ian is great. He'll appreciate the nod.

The most difficult thing about writing this short was limiting my cast to two, having to include my house as the location, and coming up with an ending that I felt was appropriate. I didn't want to kill anyone in this one. I also didn't want to have to use guns, blood, etc, as a crutch.

I guess that's a bunch of things but you can pick one. :)

Thanks, Brandon. I appreciate you stopping by.

MAH

ZazaCast
11-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Solid entry...and that's nothing new coming from MAH! Like everyone else around here, I love your films and this is no exception. Great job.

It's always amazing to see what you can do with the HV20 and a little CC. Looked really good. Ian is always a good choice, but I have to agree that the phone conversation felt forced of something, but just for a second, I was right back into it quick.

I did see the alien face in the mirror (but had to rewind and point it out to my daughter), but maybe we could have seen a little more of it?? (what do I know?)

Every film you do just keeps getting better & better, you are one talented fucker!

That's about all I have for you Michael...fabulous film! Congratulations to cast & crew.

Mark Harris
11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
You are developing into a really great filmmaker. I think this is the only one that actually scared me.

Stay on top of your actors. Keep working on getting them to do less and less. "Just think it" as I tell my people.

Very nice, simple, honest, direct. Keep it up!!!!!

Richard J. Johnson
11-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Great work as usual. Creeped me out.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Solid entry...and that's nothing new coming from MAH! Like everyone else around here, I love your films and this is no exception. Great job.

It's always amazing to see what you can do with the HV20 and a little CC. Looked really good. Ian is always a good choice, but I have to agree that the phone conversation felt forced of something, but just for a second, I was right back into it quick.

I did see the alien face in the mirror (but had to rewind and point it out to my daughter), but maybe we could have seen a little more of it?? (what do I know?)

Every film you do just keeps getting better & better, you are one talented poo pooer!

That's about all I have for you Michael...fabulous film! Congratulations to cast & crew.Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it. I usually go for the show less option. It's still there for all to see, just in moderation.

Thanks again.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
You are developing into a really great filmmaker. I think this is the only one that actually scared me.

Stay on top of your actors. Keep working on getting them to do less and less. "Just think it" as I tell my people.

Very nice, simple, honest, direct. Keep it up!!!!!

Scared you!? Crap! That's great! :evil:
You are a wicked filmmaker and I really do appreciate the comment, Mark.
I'll remember the advice as well, well said.

Cheers.

Great work as usual. Creeped me out.
Short but sweet. I like it.

Thanks!

MAH

Richard J. Johnson
11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Horrigan, If there is one thing I know from these fests is that you will always put out quality product. Always.

Mike Manning
11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey man, well done! Very moody and atmospheric.. and GREAT sound design. The end gave me goosebumps.. hehe. Good job man!
-M

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Haunting, disturbing and surreal. Good job Mike. You made use of very little in a big way. You have much of my respect. I like the last line the girl delivers but I'm not buying the delivery of that line. It might be just me. Otherwise, both actors are aces.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Horrigan, If there is one thing I know from these fests is that you will always put out quality product. Always.
Thanks, Richard. Very nice of you to say.

Hey man, well done! Very moody and atmospheric.. and GREAT sound design. The end gave me goosebumps.. hehe. Good job man!
-MGoosebumps are good! Hope you used headphones. :) Thanks for the sound design kudos as well.
Herman and I worked hard on that. He went out of his way not to drown them out with the score, what a guy! His music really made it what it is.

Haunting, disturbing and surreal. Good job Mike. You made use of very little in a big way. You have much of my respect. I like the last line the girl delivers but I'm not buying the delivery of that line. It might be just me. Otherwise, both actors are aces.Thanks, I'll pass that along.

"Haunting, disturbing and surreal."

I should make use of this in my marketing campaign! :D

Thanks again everyone!

MAH

Geoff_R
11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Creepy stuff man :) Enjoyed it and admire the simplicity. You developed a solid flow with the camera moves and editing. Always a fan of your work! Keep it up man. Thanks for sharing.

hoz
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
really loved how you used the camera to move into each shot. especially the bedroom in the beginning, loved the fish tank shot. don't mind me just shooting out my thoughts as they come... like the story and the ending, felt really poltergeist and thats a good thing. the tv shot was cool when it kicked on. the acting was good too. maybe a bit off here and there and i'd tell you where but i don't want to spoil the story by giving it here... oh, really loved the staircase shot too! there's a lot of good things here and i like how you made a simple house come alive like a character. really cool.

good job!!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Creepy stuff man :) Enjoyed it and admire the simplicity. You developed a solid flow with the camera moves and editing. Always a fan of your work! Keep it up man. Thanks for sharing.Geoff! Thanks so much. I commented on your film early on. Great stuff.

really loved how you used the camera to move into each shot. especially the bedroom in the beginning, loved the fish tank shot. don't mind me just shooting out my thoughts as they come... like the story and the ending, felt really poltergeist and thats a good thing. the tv shot was cool when it kicked on. the acting was good too. maybe a bit off here and there and i'd tell you where but i don't want to spoil the story by giving it here... oh, really loved the staircase shot too! there's a lot of good things here and i like how you made a simple house come alive like a character. really cool.

good job!!Thanks! It was a real challenge to try and turn the mundane into something interesting but I gave it a go. Who knew so many people loved fish! :D

Thanks again,

MAH

Sarah Daly
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Man I wish I hadn't watched this right before bed! Excellent - great pace - creepy - beautifully shot. The intro scenes were especially great - you established the vibe so well so soon. And when she says 'It's your turn now' smiling at the end - wow - chilling stuff! I love that you just cut to outside then, leaving us thinking. I like thinking :)

Only one little niggle - and I only say this because I think it's a great film - but I'd cut either the water splashing scene or the drinking water scene - both serve the same narrative purpose. The drinking water scene is probably more dramatic and prettier...up to you though of course. Just a thought! Oh and also I'd maybe chop up the phone call a bit - do some sharp cuts as its a bit flat compared to how awesome everything else is - and the near crying is a little unconvincing.

But honestly those are little niggles. I loved this. Great great job. You're a real pro. (As in professional) :)

Denis Haineault
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
...the tv shot was cool when it kicked on....

Just a quick comment on that part: These flat panel TVs don't power on immediately when you hit the "on" button. There was like a 5-8 seconds delay before the static would appear. It was fun to try and time it so that it would come on at the right time -- it's not like we were using a chronometer or anything...we just winged it until it worked.

Anyway, I'm really glad that people are responding so well to your entry Mike. I witnessed how you worked on this one and you definitely have a strong grasp on what needs to be done, and the end result speaks for itself.

cheers man !

dcarstens
11-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Most festival entries have me concentrating on the production values (or flaws). While watching this short, my mind was simply focused on how it was sending shivers down my spine! You reached right into my childhood nightmares! And all this on an HV20?? You certainly put that camera to fantastic use- bravo, and damn you for creeping me out when I go to sleep tonight!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Man I wish I hadn't watched this right before bed! Excellent - great pace - creepy - beautifully shot. The intro scenes were especially great - you established the vibe so well so soon. And when she says 'It's your turn now' smiling at the end - wow - chilling stuff! I love that you just cut to outside then, leaving us thinking. I like thinking :)
Thanks, Sarah! Thinking is good. I like. :)

Just a quick comment on that part: These flat panel TVs don't power on immediately when you hit the "on" button. There was like a 5-8 seconds delay before the static would appear. It was fun to try and time it so that it would come on at the right time -- it's not like we were using a chronometer or anything...we just winged it until it worked.

Anyway, I'm really glad that people are responding so well to your entry Mike. I witnessed how you worked on this one and you definitely have a strong grasp on what needs to be done, and the end result speaks for itself.

cheers man !

The pleasure was all mine. Denis showed up and was eager to do whatever I threw at him. Whether it was holding the boom or lying on the floor with the remote and turning on the TV at just the right moment. Another tidbit for that shot, I framed it just so that Ian's head blocks out the input display that pops up in the top right corner of the screen for a few seconds. I figured it would look better without it in the shot. Seems to have worked.

Thanks again, Denis.

Most festival entries have me concentrating on the production values (or flaws). While watching this short, my mind was simply focused on how it was sending shivers down my spine! You reached right into my childhood nightmares! And all this on an HV20?? You certainly put that camera to fantastic use- bravo, and damn you for creeping me out when I go to sleep tonight!Comments like this mean a lot! They really make me feel like all of this was worth it. I'm not going to lie, I would love to have a Red. Hell, I would love to have a GH1 or a 7D!

But the fact is that it doesn't really matter much in the end. Well, maybe a little in a technical forum like this. :)
I'm just glad that you were sucked in and enjoyed the ride. Sounds like I may have creeped out a few people, that was the goal.

Thanks so much for all the reviews.

MAH

johnhafner
11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Great Job. I really appreciated how many setups you got in 6 mins. It really adds to the cinematic to switch from shot to shot. Almost lost me at the "Ring static" but it was creepy as hell when, "We were talking like this when it..." I liked the way you tied together two events across time. Did you write this as well?

Very cinematic look out of an HV20. I was the DP for Justin Durban's 'Bits and Pieces' with my 7d and loved the flexibility it gave us with lighting etc. If you have this much talent it's worth the investment IMHO. Overall a success via 'Chills up my spine' and if it kept going for another 84 mins I would have stayed glued to the screen. And that is really what it is all about when it comes down to it, so good job.

lyonfilms
11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Michael -

Good stuff. Period. Liked the sound design and the pacing. You certainly turned a house into a crypt of memories the father was trapped in. As a father to a beautiful daughter myself, anytime the theme of a flick has to do with losing a child - it impacts me. The first few effects shots were seriously cool. Honestly, LOVED the eye in the tiny piece of mirror in the jewelry box. The only time I didn't fully believe the lead was when he found his daugther back at home in the room. I don't know why but the loss, sorrow, joy, disbelief that would manifest in that moment seemed too thin. Not an easy scene to pull off for any actor, but that was my only real issue. CHEERS.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Great Job. I really appreciated how many setups you got in 6 mins. It really adds to the cinematic to switch from shot to shot. Almost lost me at the "Ring static" but it was creepy as hell when, "We were talking like this when it..." I liked the way you tied together two events across time. Did you write this as well?

Very cinematic look out of an HV20. I was the DP for Justin Durban's 'Bits and Pieces' with my 7d and loved the flexibility it gave us with lighting etc. If you have this much talent it's worth the investment IMHO. Overall a success via 'Chills up my spine' and if it kept going for another 84 mins I would have stayed glued to the screen. And that is really what it is all about when it comes down to it, so good job.Love your avatar. :thumbup:

Thanks, John! Yes, I wrote this one. Appreciate the comments. In the end I actually only used 4 minutes as I tend to put too much in and try to jam everything into 6. :)
After seeing your work in Justin's piece I may have to make that investment. You shot a beautiful looking movie for sure, no doubt.

Thanks so much.

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Michael -

Good stuff. Period. Liked the sound design and the pacing. You certainly turned a house into a crypt of memories the father was trapped in. As a father to a beautiful daughter myself, anytime the theme of a flick has to do with losing a child - it impacts me. The first few effects shots were seriously cool. Honestly, LOVED the eye in the tiny piece of mirror in the jewelry box. The only time I didn't fully believe the lead was when he found his daugther back at home in the room. I don't know why but the loss, sorrow, joy, disbelief that would manifest in that moment seemed too thin. Not an easy scene to pull off for any actor, but that was my only real issue. CHEERS.Thanks, man. I really dig your work and appreciate the feedback. I have a young daughter myself and know exactly how you feel.

Justin nailed the eye for me! He tried it a few different ways and I think this was the best choice. I love it.

MAH

Rodney V. Smith
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
After seeing your work in Justin's piece I may have to make that investment.

YES!!! It's noncommital at best, but you're going to really think about it, so I think that's a HUGE score. I'd really love to see you rock the hell outta than camera.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
YES!!! It's noncommital at best, but you're going to really think about it, so I think that's a HUGE score. I'd really love to see you rock the hell outta than camera.Thanks. I'm looking at the 7D and the GH1. Both seem like great little cameras.

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks. I'm looking at the 7D and the GH1. Both seem like great little cameras.

I've been looking into these cameras myself. They are quite affordable and give you a big bang for your buck. Keep in mind to buy good glass. That's where things can get a little pricey. Three prime lens and a zoom. At one point I was hot for the GH1, but now my attention is drawn to the Canon Mark II 7D. Its within the same price range as the GH1 with all the features and then some.

Its time to leave that 35mm adapter behind.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Its time to leave that 35mm adapter behind. I wouldn't know. Never used one. :)

Thanks for the camera tips though. I'll have to look into them.

MAH

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't know. Never used one. :)

Damn you! I bet you can turn straw into gold. :lipsrseal

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Damn you! I bet you can turn straw into gold. :lipsrsealNo. I wasn't trying to brag or anything at all like that. I just never had the opportunity or the pleasure. Not for a short film anyway. Tinkered with a Brevis once for about an hour. Liked what I saw.

I just won't get any benefit from your original 35mm statement is all.
That's what the smiley was about. :)

Horncastle
11-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Great entry as always, Mike. It may just be that I have examined your work more closely than most others here in the DVXUser fests, but you do seem to have one of the most recognizable styles. And just to be sure, following on from twitchy fingers in the Führerbunker, we now have the Musical Box in One Percent :). I didn't catch the VFX (the alien in the mirror and the spaceship shadow) first time round but maybe that doesn't matter - the story works very well in any case, and they are there if you notice them or want to look for them. The little girl's closing line is great and, in my opininon, very well delivered - part of the chill comes from that little half smile she makes. At first I thought you could have ended the film right there, it's got such a great punch, but now my attention has been drawn to the spaceship shadow... well, I don't know... but I understand why you wanted that final scene. Herman Witkam's sound and score worked really well, the acting seemed good - great job by all.
Cheers
Jason

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Jason. It's been a long time. :)

Glad you liked it. Herman really did outdo himself with the score. I'm glad that you brought it up. His first draft was damn near perfect! After he tweaked it a bit I was amazed at just how well it seemed to fit. Sound is half the battle.

Thanks again for dropping by and say hi to Susanne for me!

For those who may not know, Jason and his wife Susanne were instrumental in directing the German voice crew for Calls From the Führerbunker.

Cheers,

MAH

EditPhish
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Michael,

One thing I forgot to mention (and I don't know how I did)...
I LOVED your mirror-shot of the creepy girl... sent chills down my spine. Was one of the premiere moments not just in your film, but in the whole fest.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks. I knew I needed a hook in that scene to put it over the top. I'm just happy it worked out.

MOVIE STUNTS
11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks. I knew I needed a hook in that scene to put it over the top. I'm just happy it worked out.

Yup, I gotta comment on that too... The creepy girl sequence at the beginning was executed very well; the only problem was that I think it should have been longer to give us a chance to take it in and be truly unsettled by it. You know how to rock an image and drag it out of the box, your shots and angles are commendable. I've always liked your films and can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Yup, I gotta comment on that too... The creepy girl sequence at the beginning was executed very well; the only problem was that I think it should have been longer to give us a chance to take it in and be truly unsettled by it. You know how to rock an image and drag it out of the box, your shots and angles are commendable. I've always liked your films and can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Thanks, man. If you make things too long then people start to analyze the effects and get taken out of the moment. Just my opinion.
The lead in could have been a tad longer though.

Thanks for the advice.

MAH

Kevin E. Curry
11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Really enjoyed this one from top to bottom. I love the interesting shots you drop in, from the mirror shot near the beginning that shows the creatures eye reflected, to the really simply cut away of the gas burner and teapot.

Best of all, I like that you didn't show us more of the creature, especially at the end. The simple ending of his daughter telling him it's time to go is sweet.

Nice job! One of my favorites so far.

bosindy
11-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Michael,

I liked the opening cards and the use of the sound mix to add emphasis. Nice use of camera movement in this. Felt cinematic. I am not sure if I completely "got" the story. people are disappearing due to some force or monster and that's what happened to the girl and now it's Dad's turn? no explanation left me a little confused.

I felt the Dad's performance swung a little too quickly to emotional on the phone on the "I miss her too" line. Overall the performances were good. Liked the tone and tempo as a whole and some really nice shots. Always amazed at what you accomplish with no crew. Well done.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Really enjoyed this one from top to bottom. I love the interesting shots you drop in, from the mirror shot near the beginning that shows the creatures eye reflected, to the really simply cut away of the gas burner and teapot.

Best of all, I like that you didn't show us more of the creature, especially at the end. The simple ending of his daughter telling him it's time to go is sweet.

Nice job! One of my favorites so far.Thanks! Subtlety is usually the way I go. Using your imagination to fill in the blanks can be far more frightening.

Thanks again!

Michael,

I liked the opening cards and the use of the sound mix to add emphasis. Nice use of camera movement in this. Felt cinematic. I am not sure if I completely "got" the story. people are disappearing due to some force or monster and that's what happened to the girl and now it's Dad's turn? no explanation left me a little confused.

I felt the Dad's performance swung a little too quickly to emotional on the phone on the "I miss her too" line. Overall the performances were good. Liked the tone and tempo as a whole and some really nice shots. Always amazed at what you accomplish with no crew. Well done.
Thanks so much. I think the last shot helps explain what happened. Maybe you missed that. Use headphones or a sub as well because it helps drive it home.

As for the line that drove the emotion, if I'm at a weak moment and the mention of my abducted daughter were to pop up like that, I would do my best to hold myself together but it would be a struggle. That was his direction. Lose it for a second but try not to let her know.

Thanks again! I'm a big fan and really appreciate you taking the time.

MAH

bosindy
11-04-2009, 01:55 PM
ok, I went and grabbed my headset and noticed more of a shadow on the outside of the house. I got it. I should be using a headset on all of these. I think the sound mix really shines in this throughout. again well done!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
ok, I went and grabbed my headset and noticed more of a shadow on the outside of the house. I got it. I should be using a headset on all of these. I think the sound mix really shines in this throughout. again well done!
Thanks, man. It really does, Herman helped quite a bit. 5.1 or bust! :)
I use sound cues for a lot in my entries.

REHov520
11-04-2009, 10:17 PM
nice dolly shots throughout this. liked the pacing. never got terribly invested but never got bored. the only thing that took me out briefly was the dad's reaction to seeing his daughter at first, he seemed a little underwhelmed.

ramsaur
11-05-2009, 03:35 AM
MAH, I like this one. I definitely loved the camera work, as it was also the HV20. The Kitchen scenes when on the phone were great. This one had me driving to what was going to happen next. Good score and use of the sound effect after each scene changed. Cool ending as well.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2009, 05:20 AM
nice dolly shots throughout this. liked the pacing. never got terribly invested but never got bored. the only thing that took me out briefly was the dad's reaction to seeing his daughter at first, he seemed a little underwhelmed.
After 3 years it was shock and wonder. He also thought (as he said) it may have been another dream. Thanks, man.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2009, 05:23 AM
MAH, I like this one. I definitely loved the camera work, as it was also the HV20. The Kitchen scenes when on the phone were great. This one had me driving to what was going to happen next. Good score and use of the sound effect after each scene changed. Cool ending as well.
Thanks, man. I especially like the music/sound when the line goes dead. Herman really worked his magic there. The tone of the scene changes completely.

Thanks again,

Mike

teresadecher
11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Beautifully shot and very creepy! My house creaked while I was watching your film and it totally made me jump.

My only comment would be that the lead's scene on the phone seemed pushed and a little fake. That kind of took me out of the story. I really liked the little girl's performance! Super creepy.

Overall, I really enjoyed this :)

kennethhurd
11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Well done short! I loved how you went with a very natural lit look to the film and I loved how you played with atmosphere to create unease for the viewer. Excellent job on the short this one is one of my favorites!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks!

Glad I was able to make you two uneasy and even a little jumpy. :)

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

lordambrai
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Very nicely done, one of my favs in the fest. I liked the effects too, they seemed simple and definitely suited the plot.

For the ghostly looking girl, how did you do that? It looked like she was wearing something and then you did something after effecty on her to give her that strange shimmer/subtle glow thingie... ah look at me talking all technical and... stuff.

Oh and if you don't feel the need to share your secret it's OK... I understand...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Very nicely done, one of my favs in the fest. I liked the effects too, they seemed simple and definitely suited the plot.

For the ghostly looking girl, how did you do that? It looked like she was wearing something and then you did something after effecty on her to give her that strange shimmer/subtle glow thingie... ah look at me talking all technical and... stuff.

Oh and if you don't feel the need to share your secret it's OK... I understand...
No secrets here.

We webbed her up in the Halloween webbing you buy in the stores. That was the practical effects side of it, along with a dolly in for the closeup.
Justin added some lighting and a bit of shimmering ripple effect.

I wish we had more time but the camera was locked down as she was to appear at both sides of the room in the same shot.
Cocooned at one end, looking at the music box in the other. So we had to move fast. That and it was getting late. :)

Glad you enjoyed it enough to place it amongst your favourites.

Thanks!

Mike

alex whitmer
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Best of the fest, and hands down best on the creep factor.

A few nitpicks ....

Phone call pulled me out of the relationship with the father and the daughter. It was likes 'brakes on' to squeeze in some backstory that didn't really resolve much. I think this could have been accomplished via VO as he stood over the basin, and let Ian do what he does best - exude emotions. Lose the drink, maybe toss in a glimpse of the girl in the mirror as Ian battles his wits.

Love the way we see the girl in the mirror. Freaked me out of my skin. Not in love with the cobwebs on the girl - looked a little like five and dime Halloween decorations.

What I enjoy about your work is that you give the viewer the chance to engage, and imagine just enough on their own to make the experience all theirs - as opposed to all T's crossed and I's dotted.

Regardless of these opines, it's my fave.

You always deliver, Mike. No matter the theme, you make the 6 minutes count.

aw

Darkline
11-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Hi Mike,

You've made a top 3 film here IMO. I would say it had the most cinematic opening of anything on offer here. I loved it. Grabbed instantly. For me, I think this is the first time I've seen your work really stand out from the crowd.

It was a slight comedown that your mid section became a rather straight forward telephone conversation in a kitchen, because the mood has been heightened so much visually; but I guess that's the nature of getting the exposition across in a short time.

I dont know if it was intentional but I almost thought he was imagining things because we only saw her room in flashbacks; maybe you could have had him visiting her preserved empty room for a more visual representation of their loss whilst he was on the phone, picking old toys up while talking and closing the door behind him, so there's a stark contrast when he goes back in to see her in it with all the toys alive/working moments later.

But I liked the ominous ending and I'd probably pick this as my second fave of the fest. Everything you do seems to get better each time. Your best work so far I think.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Best of the fest, and hands down best on the creep factor.

A few nitpicks ....

Phone call pulled me out of the relationship with the father and the daughter. It was likes 'brakes on' to squeeze in some backstory that didn't really resolve much. I think this could have been accomplished via VO as he stood over the basin, and let Ian do what he does best - exude emotions. Lose the drink, maybe toss in a glimpse of the girl in the mirror as Ian battles his wits.

Love the way we see the girl in the mirror. Freaked me out of my skin. Not in love with the cobwebs on the girl - looked a little like five and dime Halloween decorations.

What I enjoy about your work is that you give the viewer the chance to engage, and imagine just enough on their own to make the experience all theirs - as opposed to all T's crossed and I's dotted.

Regardless of these opines, it's my fave.

You always deliver, Mike. No matter the theme, you make the 6 minutes count.

awThanks so much. Glad it was among your faves.
BTW, I went for 4 minutes this fest, partially do to me moving. :)
Glad you liked it.

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Mike,

You've made a top 3 film here IMO. I would say it had the most cinematic opening of anything on offer here. I loved it. Grabbed instantly. For me, I think this is the first time I've seen your work really stand out from the crowd.

It was a slight comedown that your mid section became a rather straight forward telephone conversation in a kitchen, because the mood has been heightened so much visually; but I guess that's the nature of getting the exposition across in a short time.

I dont know if it was intentional but I almost thought he was imagining things because we only saw her room in flashbacks; maybe you could have had him visiting her preserved empty room for a more visual representation of their loss whilst he was on the phone, picking old toys up while talking and closing the door behind him, so there's a stark contrast when he goes back in to see her in it with all the toys alive/working moments later.

But I liked the ominous ending and I'd probably pick this as my second fave of the fest. Everything you do seems to get better each time. Your best work so far I think.
Thanks! I really appreciate such a compliment form a past winner.
I actually had some ideas to shoot with Ian alone in her room but alas, I had to pack it up and move. :)

Great advice, and I'll take second place any day! Just to place in this fest would be great.

Cheers,

Mike

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 12:43 PM
This film moves in a fluid, incessant pattern that sucks the viewer right in and doesn't allow them the chance to stall. It reminds me of some works by Altman, Demme, and especially PT Anderson (who of course drew much inspiration from both former filmmakers). The perpetual motion combined with the sound design develop a claustrophobic and anticipatory atmosphere that is just tremendously foreboding. Once the scene stops moving in a static shot of the ballerina music box, a chill runs up the spine. This bit of mis-en-scene truly ups the ante. Once the ballerina starts, the camera draws the viewer in again. Excellent direction of this sequence. I wondered to myself for a moment if it might be more effective to refrain from zooming forward after the ballerina begins to move and keeping the next shot static, but I think you made the right decision in restarting the motion of the scene. You stop long enough to tell us something new and then pull us further. Love it! And the black void seen in the mirror, creeping, in a way, behind the dancer is ominous and menacing.

Sometimes I feel like some filmmakers' use of intentional contrast between quaint, innocent, child-like musical themes and dark imagery and subtext gets too heavy handed (an obvious example would be something like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" used in a slow-motion shoot-out in Face/Off), but your elements fit together well.

Once the dream sequence comes in, the film continues to move fluidly while highlighting the man's inner distress and crucial pieces of information about the girl. It also sets up the supernatural and/or abduction elements of the story with the thick, heavy blinking of the "being's" eyes and the symbol of her captured on the floor. This scene, believe it or not, actually did make me jump. This is a great example of how to use "jump" moments effectively. You built up the tension and mystery so well that, even though one can assume what will happen, it still catches you off-guard, just like a dream would.

Your handheld work after the sequence from the doorway does suggest a watchful eye on the protagonist.

I thought the acting was very strong. I can understand some of the complaints about the man's sudden change in demeanor not coming through as earnest and believable, but a scene like that, in such a short film, would be difficult for most to pull off. So while the scene on the phone could use work, it's in no way a bad scene. I think the majority of the scene's troubles come in the en medias res aspect of the dialogue. From the first few words, there's already conflict. A scene like this depends so heavily on authentic performances because the actors have to give the audience so much historical information without too much exposition. One of the only things that struck me as in need of work is actually an audio issue. The woman's dialogue comes through the phone with a little bit of "futzing" as is natural in this type of scene, but it sounds just a little more clean than the dialogue from the man. The kitchen yields a little more bounce, so it fills the room. Sometimes we hear her words very clearly, but times when he says things like "a little" get a little lost. Could just be minor mixing issue. I would try to pump his dialogue up just a hair. But, the scene does end up playing smooth enough and after a second viewing, I like both performances more. I love the diagetic cut to the flame burning on the stove; a very symbolic image that works well in the context of the film. I like that it creeps forward slowly.

The music is very effective in this film. I love the ambient score. It wavers with such melancholy and loneliness. The rest of the score feels right as well.

The television turning on to static is a tried-and-true technique and is quite scary. (For me, it's scary in the context of a horrible incident with a bad tv signal that happened when I was a child. Scared the crap out of me!) The high-pitch squeal of the kettle really takes the anxiety to another level. It, in conjunction with the tv static and the automated operator on the phone, work well as a mosaic of unrelated sounds working together to deliver a triad of non-coincidental elements.

The lead's performance may dive into the emotions just a little too heavily when he sees his "daughter." It might have seemed more logical for him to be a little more awe-struck and confused by her sitting on the bed. But, once again, the performance isn't bad. It just comes very quickly. The girl worked well here, delivering a cold, cynical set of lines.

The final shot really solidifies the abduction process with the alien transmission sounds that were heard earlier in the film. The shot itself is lit, framed, and colored very well and the darkness descending upon the house leaves the audience with a feeling of dread. Nice!

This really is an extremely effective short with lots to admire. I think it stands as some of your best work yet, and that says a lot as I remember you sifting through multiple ideas and projects, trying to decide which to pursue for this festival. And you were also in the process of moving, correct?

Great work! :beer:

Susanne G.
11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Very intriguing story. Your filmmaking style is very recognizable. It is always a pleasure to watch your films. Especially I adore the moment when the little girl said 'It's your turn daddy' - this moment gave the story a fantastic twist. Compliments!

Susanne

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2009, 08:16 PM
This film moves in a fluid, incessant pattern that sucks the viewer right in and doesn't allow them the chance to stall. It reminds me of some works by Altman, Demme, and especially PT Anderson (who of course drew much inspiration from both former filmmakers). The perpetual motion combined with the sound design develop a claustrophobic and anticipatory atmosphere that is just tremendously foreboding. Once the scene stops moving in a static shot of the ballerina music box, a chill runs up the spine. This bit of mis-en-scene truly ups the ante. Once the ballerina starts, the camera draws the viewer in again. Excellent direction of this sequence. I wondered to myself for a moment if it might be more effective to refrain from zooming forward after the ballerina begins to move and keeping the next shot static, but I think you made the right decision in restarting the motion of the scene. You stop long enough to tell us something new and then pull us further. Love it! And the black void seen in the mirror, creeping, in a way, behind the dancer is ominous and menacing.

Sometimes I feel like some filmmakers' use of intentional contrast between quaint, innocent, child-like musical themes and dark imagery and subtext gets too heavy handed (an obvious example would be something like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" used in a slow-motion shoot-out in Face/Off), but your elements fit together well.

Once the dream sequence comes in, the film continues to move fluidly while highlighting the man's inner distress and crucial pieces of information about the girl. It also sets up the supernatural and/or abduction elements of the story with the thick, heavy blinking of the "being's" eyes and the symbol of her captured on the floor. This scene, believe it or not, actually did make me jump. This is a great example of how to use "jump" moments effectively. You built up the tension and mystery so well that, even though one can assume what will happen, it still catches you off-guard, just like a dream would.

Your handheld work after the sequence from the doorway does suggest a watchful eye on the protagonist.

I thought the acting was very strong. I can understand some of the complaints about the man's sudden change in demeanor not coming through as earnest and believable, but a scene like that, in such a short film, would be difficult for most to pull off. So while the scene on the phone could use work, it's in no way a bad scene. I think the majority of the scene's troubles come in the en medias res aspect of the dialogue. From the first few words, there's already conflict. A scene like this depends so heavily on authentic performances because the actors have to give the audience so much historical information without too much exposition. One of the only things that struck me as in need of work is actually an audio issue. The woman's dialogue comes through the phone with a little bit of "futzing" as is natural in this type of scene, but it sounds just a little more clean than the dialogue from the man. The kitchen yields a little more bounce, so it fills the room. Sometimes we hear her words very clearly, but times when he says things like "a little" get a little lost. Could just be minor mixing issue. I would try to pump his dialogue up just a hair. But, the scene does end up playing smooth enough and after a second viewing, I like both performances more. I love the diagetic cut to the flame burning on the stove; a very symbolic image that works well in the context of the film. I like that it creeps forward slowly.

The music is very effective in this film. I love the ambient score. It wavers with such melancholy and loneliness. The rest of the score feels right as well.

The television turning on to static is a tried-and-true technique and is quite scary. (For me, it's scary in the context of a horrible incident with a bad tv signal that happened when I was a child. Scared the crap out of me!) The high-pitch squeal of the kettle really takes the anxiety to another level. It, in conjunction with the tv static and the automated operator on the phone, work well as a mosaic of unrelated sounds working together to deliver a triad of non-coincidental elements.

The lead's performance may dive into the emotions just a little too heavily when he sees his "daughter." It might have seemed more logical for him to be a little more awe-struck and confused by her sitting on the bed. But, once again, the performance isn't bad. It just comes very quickly. The girl worked well here, delivering a cold, cynical set of lines.

The final shot really solidifies the abduction process with the alien transmission sounds that were heard earlier in the film. The shot itself is lit, framed, and colored very well and the darkness descending upon the house leaves the audience with a feeling of dread. Nice!

This really is an extremely effective short with lots to admire. I think it stands as some of your best work yet, and that says a lot as I remember you sifting through multiple ideas and projects, trying to decide which to pursue for this festival. And you were also in the process of moving, correct?

Great work! :beer:I always look forward to your reviews and this was no exception. If only I could express my thoughts as well as you do. I think you were pretty much dead on for all of it. The reaction to seeing his daughter has been commented on a bit. Some people wanted a bigger immediate response, some people wanted more awestruck or stunned, mixed with disbelief. I told Ian to play up the disbelief at first, he mentions that he must still be dreaming, followed by a long pause at the door. After that fatherhood kicks in and you just want to see/hold your daughter again.

I think you pretty much nailed everything and I want to thank you for taking so much time to write such a thorough review. I'm so thrilled that I was able to creep you enough to get you to jump. Call me sadistic. :)

I'm just learning how to create tension in a scene like that and it was a lot of fun to plan it out in the script and see it come to life in the edit. Herman's score really added another layer to the entire mood. I'm really glad that you also noticed and expounded on some of the little touches that I threw in. Kudos for that!

And yes, we were in the middle of moving and have long since done so. I actually edited the film in the new house. I really wish I could have gone back to add a few scenes but it worked out fairly well and allowed me to enter in something that clocks in at the 4 minute mark instead. That in itself was quite the challenge for me. Glad you also dug the ending. That was a last minute FX shot that my buddy Doug pulled off. I really felt in needed it and he fine tuned it just as I had asked.

Cheers!

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Very intriguing story. Your filmmaking style is very recognizable. It is always a pleasure to watch your films. Especially I adore the moment when the little girl said 'It's your turn daddy' - this moment gave the story a fantastic twist. Compliments!

Susanne
Thanks, Susanne. I also enjoy the straight and to the point reviews, much like my own. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Mike

Lawsuit_Boy
11-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I always look forward to your reviews and this was no exception. If only I could express my thoughts as well as you do. I think you were pretty much dead on for all of it. The reaction to seeing his daughter has been commented on a bit. Some people wanted a bigger immediate response, some people wanted more awestruck or stunned, mixed with disbelief. I told Ian to play up the disbelief at first, he mentions that he must still be dreaming, followed by a long pause at the door. After that fatherhood kicks in and you just want to see/hold your daughter again.

I think you pretty much nailed everything and I want to thank you for taking so much time to write such a thorough review. I'm so thrilled that I was able to creep you enough to get you to jump. Call me sadistic. :)

I'm just learning how to create tension in a scene like that and it was a lot of fun to plan it out in the script and see it come to life in the edit. Herman's score really added another layer to the entire mood. I'm really glad that you also noticed and expounded on some of the little touches that I threw in. Kudos for that!

And yes, we were in the middle of moving and have long since done so. I actually edited the film in the new house. I really wish I could have gone back to add a few scenes but it worked out fairly well and allowed me to enter in something that clocks in at the 4 minute mark instead. That in itself was quite the challenge for me. Glad you also dug the ending. That was a last minute FX shot that my buddy Doug pulled off. I really felt in needed it and he fine tuned it just as I had asked.

Cheers!

Mike

After lamenting about that scene for a while, it really does feel quite natural how he reacted to seeing his daughter. My girlfriend Caroline (who played the lead in Tiny Dancer and our new work Subito) said that the scene was actually very natural and quite good. She really enjoyed the film as well. So really, I think it could have gone either way. It was well played by both, regardless.

A highly successful film, especially considering the constraints caused by moving! (I'm eagerly awaiting your next project, by the way.)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-09-2009, 05:30 AM
After lamenting about that scene for a while, it really does feel quite natural how he reacted to seeing his daughter. My girlfriend Caroline (who played the lead in Tiny Dancer and our new work Subito) said that the scene was actually very natural and quite good. She really enjoyed the film as well. So really, I think it could have gone either way. It was well played by both, regardless.

A highly successful film, especially considering the constraints caused by moving! (I'm eagerly awaiting your next project, by the way.)
Thanks again, Jon.

Mike

Chris Messineo
11-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Beautiful looking film. I loved your shots and pacing. Also the score was awesome. Well done.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for dropping by, Chris. Haven't seen you around for a while. Hope all is going well.

Thanks for the compliments. :thumbup:

Mike

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Solid short here Horrigan. I said it before and I'm reiterating how well I thought all the child actors did in this festival. One of the first things you learn in low budget film making is: don't use kids! But your film and many others prove that they can carry a short or a feature if they have talent and are guided properly. I thought the little girl did a great job as almost every kid in this festival did.

Something threw me about the adult actor and the phone call. I'll have to go back and watch it again. I just didn't think he came off as genuine as the little girl did. Lighting/score/camera work were all great. Nice job as I know this was last minute and you had very little to work with.

I liked the take on Monsterfest. Nice work.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks! The lighting was all practical but it turned out rather well.
I appreciate the feature comment. Some day, when I'm a little more polished.

Good luck in the Fest!

Cheers,

MAH

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey there Michael - see how am i supposed to provide feedback when Lawsuit Boy beats me to it (damn you Jon!)

Righto - okay!!!

First of kudos to the use of my favourite dvx header - the starting title for missing people is quite perfect and i was pleased overall to see a science fiction entry! Not the easiest!

We have a disturbing introduction to the home environment and some excellent use of cutaways - some of which i only caught on the second viewing (quite monstrous!!)

This is a dark and foreboding story, with a permeating atmosphere that makes us feel 'loss' and 'loss of identity' also. Exploratory in that regard, this is a film toying with our responses as much as our poor hero is being toyed with also - so it seems.

The only danger this film faces, is from those resistant to the type of atmosphere its trying to build, and may switch off earlier on. This is not for everyone - but a fine taste to be enjoyed by a discerning sort!

Good work Michael.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey there Michael - see how am i supposed to provide feedback when Lawsuit Boy beats me to it (damn you Jon!)

Righto - okay!!!

First of kudos to the use of my favourite dvx header - the starting title for missing people is quite perfect and i was pleased overall to see a science fiction entry! Not the easiest!

We have a disturbing introduction to the home environment and some excellent use of cutaways - some of which i only caught on the second viewing (quite monstrous!!)

This is a dark and foreboding story, with a permeating atmosphere that makes us feel 'loss' and 'loss of identity' also. Exploratory in that regard, this is a film toying with our responses as much as our poor hero is being toyed with also - so it seems.

The only danger this film faces, is from those resistant to the type of atmosphere its trying to build, and may switch off earlier on. This is not for everyone - but a fine taste to be enjoyed by a discerning sort!

Good work Michael.Great review but I have to say that I miss your sexy voice. :)

Cheers, mate!

Mike

Marlon Ladd
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Excellent job, sir!

Noel Evans
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Michael, it's late in the fest. And people have most probably gone through it thoroughly by now. So, I'm just stopping by to say well done on making the finalists and that I really enjoyed your scary tale.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks, guys!
Great bunch of people in this forum.

Sorry I've been absent for a bit... been busy painting the house. :)

Cheers,

Mike

Horncastle
11-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry I've been absent for a bit... been busy painting the house. :)

Painting out the blood... Oh, wait... No blood in your film!! :) Congratulations on being a finalist once again.
Jason

Zim
11-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Great job again Mike. I always enjoy your films

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Painting out the blood... Oh, wait... No blood in your film!! :) Congratulations on being a finalist once again.
Jason
Yes, one doesn't always need blood in order to be scary. Not sure how well I succeeded but I tried. :)

Thanks. Proud to be a 5 time finalist amongst the filmmakers around here.

Great job again Mike. I always enjoy your films
Thanks!

Marlon Ladd
11-14-2009, 02:02 PM
5 time finalist? That's cool! Has anybody else done that around here? You need to get like a DVX lifetime achievement award or somethin'!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, I'm counting two top 8 or less finishes as finalist placings as this was before they had the second round finalist voting. I was 5th in DarknessFest and I think 7th or 8th in LoveFest. Then a finalist in TimeFest, TwilightFest, and now MonsterFest. That makes 5.

My first entry in SpyFest was nowhere near the top of the bunch. That was my first short film and it taught me a lot.

Yay HV20! :)

Noel Evans
11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Yay HV20! :)

Damn straight.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Damn straight.
Thanks, Noel.

Yah, not a shabby little camera. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade in the next year or so.

Thanks again for dropping by.

Mike

Noel Evans
11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Im hoping you do upgrade Mike. I think you get the most possible from your HV20 and I really would like to see what you could with a cam that gives you more artistic licence on your shots.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-18-2009, 03:37 PM
That means a lot, Noel. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Having just moved I'm a bit tight on funds but who knows, maybe Santa will be good to me. :)

Cheers,

Mike

Ian-T
11-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree with Noel. I think you make the HV20 shine on all your projects and this one's no exception. I can imagine what you'd do with a more capable camera. As usual great work Michael. I love those steady smooth camera movements and the framing. I'm an X-Files type of guy and this story reminds me of something straight from the X-Files. The soundtrack helped to create the mood perfectly. And that ending....creepy. Right after she said what she said and the cutaway to the outside at night was freaky....what was that? Spooked the heebie-geebies out of me. :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

The only thing I'd say that bothered me was the phone conversation. It sounded like she was right there in the room with him. I would have expected a phone type voice on the females end. But tht was no biggie. Good stuff.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree with Noel. I think you make the HV20 shine on all your projects and this one's no exception. I can imagine what you'd do with a more capable camera. As usual great work Michael. I love those steady smooth camera movements and the framing. I'm an X-Files type of guy and this story reminds me of something straight from the X-Files. The soundtrack helped to create the mood perfectly. And that ending....creepy. Right after she said what she said and the cutaway to the outside at night was freaky....what was that? Spooked the heebie-geebies out of me. :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

The only thing I'd say that bothered me was the phone conversation. It sounded like she was right there in the room with him. I would have expected a phone type voice on the females end. But tht was no biggie. Good stuff.Thanks, man. Glad it gave you the "heebie-geebies". :Drogar-Dolar(DBG):

There was a phone filter used on her voice but maybe I should have ramped it up a bit more. Thanks again! Kudos to Herman for the wicked soundtrack. :beer:

MAH

Marlon Ladd
11-20-2009, 01:23 PM
That means a lot, Noel. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Having just moved I'm a bit tight on funds but who knows, maybe Santa will be good to me. :)

Cheers,

Mike
I want to hearby declare that Mike having a better camera is just not fair to anybody here. I really don't want to imagine what he would be able to do with even an HV30. I guess I'll be looking to make sure Santa doesn't stop by the Horrigan household on X-Mas!

Just kidding! You know I can't wait 'til you get a new one. If anybody deserves it. . ..

Horncastle
11-20-2009, 03:36 PM
i guess i'll be looking to make sure santa doesn't stop by the horrigan household on x-mas!

Marlon Ladd
11-20-2009, 03:53 PM
LMAO!!!!!! That's GREAT!! Should've used that as the official poster! :2vrolijk_08:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
LOL! You guys are sick. :grin:

Rodney V. Smith
11-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Okay, that just solidified in my mind that I'm making a movie with Santa Claus in it for the next fest. And NINJAS!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Okay, that just solidified in my mind that I'm making a movie with Santa Claus in it for the next fest. And NINJAS!
Why not combine the two? :)

http://kiw.imgag.com/imgag/product/full/eu/3127961f.jpg

Rodney V. Smith
11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Now that ROCKS!. The Night Santa went Ninja!

You should totally make that film there Mike.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't want to steal your thunder. :)

Mark Johnson
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Congrats Michael. ... There were three films that I gave my highest rating to and yours was among the three. And, once more, I have to pause to emphasize my amazement that you always shoot yours sans crew almost single-handedly. I do not believe anyone else in this fest could have accomplished what you do under the same circumstances. Although it tempts me to urge you to assemble a crew next time, I have to stop and recognize that you achieve these results consistently. Thus, if it ain't broke, then it may be foolish to fix it.

You clearly have the chops and can write and shoot with the best of them. Perhaps if you can use a small team for post or pre-production then you will be able to apply your mad skilz without feeling stretched or hurried. In any event, congrats to you for such a fantastic piece of work once again.

Rodney V. Smith
11-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Congrats Michael. ... There were three films that I gave my highest rating to and yours was among the three. And, once more, I have to pause to emphasize my amazement that you always shoot yours sans crew almost single-handedly. I do not believe anyone else in this fest could have accomplished what you do under the same circumstances. Although it tempts me to urge you to assemble a crew next time, I have to stop and recognize that you achieve these results consistently. Thus, if it ain't broke, then it may be foolish to fix it.

You clearly have the chops and can write and shoot with the best of them. Perhaps if you can use a small team for post or pre-production then you will be able to apply your mad skilz without feeling stretched or hurried. In any event, congrats to you for such a fantastic piece of work once again.

What he said. Disappointed you didn't make top 3 (for my own reasons as well, damn you) but as always you do solid work.

Sprocketboy
11-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Great work Michael. Congratulations! Top 5 again. I guess its better than the bottom 5. And to think you did this while moving into a house. I love it.

I sincerely can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks, guys.

Mark, very kind words. I'll see if I can crack that top three next fest. :happy:

Rodney, you owe me a bottle of scotch. :evil:

Thanks, Alex. I'll do my best to really kick ass next fest.

Cheers,

MAH

Slimothy
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Nice job. I sense a top three coming soon!

Darkline
11-23-2009, 04:18 AM
you're getting closer Michael and I had this in my top 3.

Your output is certainly consistent and if anything, improving all the time.

No doubt I'll see some more evidence in the next fest.

Denis Haineault
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey congrats on getting that crane Mike...pretty wicked prize! I can't wait to see what you'll do with it.

cheers

Mark Johnson
11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Nice job. I sense a top three coming soon!

If I was running a DVXUSER film-betting book I'd definitely make Horrigan the front runner in my opening odds. As evidenced by the nice recognition the mods gave him, the guy simply does consistently solid work every time. More importantly, for my money Horrigan's biggest strength lies in his stories, which are always literate without seeming to be 20 minutes of sausage stuffed in a 6 minute casing.

And he essentially does it soup to nuts as a one-man band.

That may, in the end, be the one element that is your biggest hurdle, Mike. After all, these festivals impose such a small window to really work on pre-production and development. Tim, Luis, Blaine and I feel that we have to sort of deliberately maintain checks and balances on each other throughout the pre-pro process. It's a testament to your skills that you serve as your own critic, proofreader and "fresh eyes" as you do your films.

Nevertheless, I don't know of any other endeavors that really require such a diverse number of skill-sets to really succeed. Accordingly, I wish I would win the lottery so I could pay Matty G. and Geoff to come out and run camera for you simply so you could focus more on the vision rather than the process. Similarly, I'd love to give you the benefit of letting me (or someone else) be your producer... not because I could produce better than you (hell, you are among the best, sir) but because it all represents time that you necessarily have to suck somewhere from your finite inventory of hours.

I've said it before and I'll say again that I couldn't do what you do. Does that make you a better filmmaker than me? Arguably it does ... at least in a mano-et-mano competition. However, I like to think that we can recognize our individual talents as well as our limitations so that we assemble a collaborative enterprise that creates a whole bigger than our parts. That's why I don't try to direct and why we pick a date that Geoff or Matty is available before we roll footage.

In saying this I'm NOT implying that a crew or a collaboration is inherently better (see my first paragraph above again where I handicap you as the frontrunner). However, I'm simply pointing out that by shooting solo you necessarily have to fire on all cylinders and do so efficiently. You are you own weakest link. I'm reminded of how Jack Daniel Stanley has a catalog of incredible films, many of which were accomplished almost single-handedly by him (SHED remains an awesome example of what one guy can do with hard work and a well crafted vision). Nevertheless, although JDS still often runs lean and mean, he often pulls in a DP and crew to give himself the one thing that is hardest to get -- time.

I might also mention that JDS has often honored us by sharing scripts and rough cuts with us so we can give him feedback and critical comments. A couple weeks ago he sent me a link to a rough edit because he knew that I'd give him an honest set of notes. He also doesn't mind telling me that I'm full of sh*t when he thinks I am, just as I don't mind telling him when I think he's got a problem or weakness.

So, I guess what I'm saying to you, Mike, is that you truly are blessed with a full panoply of skills. I would like to see you recruit a bit more help (if possible) to give you a little more time to focus AND I'd welcome the opportunity to help you on-line during your script development and editing cycles. Of course, since JDS says I am full of sh*t with some frequency I would recommend that you collect a couple other eyes for checks and balances.

Rock on, sir. You have already accomplished so very much. However, I'd like to be able to send you a bottle of scotch for the win next time. .... go do it!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Wow! Thanks for the huge vote of confidence, Mark. I'm really not sure what to say.
I do have a process and it does involve feedback from a few people who's opinions I trust.
I really appreciate the advice. I may just take you up on it.

Now go win that lottery! :)

Thanks again,

MAH

mark menditto
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
New dvuser here. Great film. Loved the sound design and score. It creeped me out and I jumped at the door slam. Nice.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Wow. Thanks, man. I appreciate the comments.

Welcome to the forum!
Betrayal Fest is in full swing. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Cheers,

mike