PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss 35mm f2 or Nikon 35mm f1.4?

Nicholas Natteau
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Just hoping to get feedback about what you all think of the Zeiss 35mm f2 and the Nikon 35 f1.4

Please let me know which you prefer and why?

Thanks very much in advance,

- Nick

Matty_g
10-27-2009, 04:46 PM
what other lenses are you using?

thisisapocalypse
10-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Just hoping to get feedback about what you all think of the Zeiss 35mm f2 and the Nikon 35 f1.4

Please let me know which you prefer and why?

Thanks very much in advance,

- Nick

The Nikon 35mm f1.4 is a great lens and a good price. Plus the GH1 really, really likes a lot of light, and that's more than a stop faster.

If you could get one of the older Zeiss 35mm f1.4s in Contax/Yashica mount, then I'd go for that over the Nikon, but used, they are about 2.5x more expensive than the Nikon and you'd need another adapter.

The Nikon is great, I'd go for that one.

Nicholas Natteau
10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks to you both for replying.

I forgot to mention I have the Zeiss Distagon and Planar lenses: 85mm, 50mm, 35mm.

Does the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 let in more light than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4?

You would think it does since it's a lower f-stop number but I've actually heard the opposite.
Do you know why that is?

thisisapocalypse
10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks to you both for replying.

I forgot to mention I have the Zeiss Distagon and Planar lenses: 85mm, 50mm, 35mm.

Does the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 let in more light than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4?

You would think it does since it's a lower f-stop number but I've actually heard the opposite.
Do you know why that is?

It's possible that you do get a true f1.2 in the dead center with the Nikon, with lots of light fall-off quickly after that, so that the effective average aperture is not quite f1.2, and perhaps the Nikon f1.4 is a true f1.4 throughout most of the frame, so the total overall lens might be faster on average, whereas the f1.2 is faster only in the middle of the frame (all of this assumes wide open, as light falloff usually decreases as you stop-down, but most fast lenses are brighter in the center of the lens then on the outer edges.