PDA

View Full Version : commercial with 7D

jsauce
10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I recently directed a commercial for a skin product company shooting on the 7d. it was a blast as we shot at an airport with a hot model, a ferrari and a leer jet. good times. I posted a few setup pics before and promised I'd post the finished product of a commercial I recently directed using the 7D. It's so exciting to actually be using this thing for gigs now. When taking the spot to various post houses, a lot of people thought it was the Red One or that it looked better. We had no problems pushing this hard in after effects, shake, etc for visual effects. I'm planning on using the 7D for more commercials in the future.

So here's the links:
i really hate vimeo (it skips and stutters constantly) so i suggest viewing on our site, www.houseblendmedia.com (http://www.houseblendmedia.com/) and just click on the top of the page where it says "Velashape Commercial"

but if you have computer issues and need vimeo its there too
http://vimeo.com/7268397

enjoy.

Rakesh Jacob
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
That was hot!

Cliff Wildman
10-26-2009, 02:53 PM
That looked fantastic!

Matty_g
10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
this looks like green screen.
Not saying it is, just that it doesn't look "real"

jsauce
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
hey. thanks johnny (im a fan of your stuff so that means a lot coming from you)

im actually kind of glad you thought it looked green screen. it definitely wasn't but there was an element of that surreal back drop kind of flavor that the client wanted.

this was a spot where as a director i had little control. i basically just had to execute their vision and part of the vision was a subject really popping out at you. a golden hour surrealness to it all which i think we got as best we could.

Kholi
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree with Matty, but it's not because of the shallow depth on my end. It's because the light doesn't look like it matches to my eyes. That's one of the things that tend to make things look CG/GreenScreen/Comped or Keyed. Edit: which I'm sure was done on purpose (before the masses begin to come after me with pitchforks for my views and opinions.)

What kind of jib were you using? Or was it a different form of "craning"?

Otis Grapsas
10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Perspective is a little flat and the rectangular camera motion has a slideshow feel. Form cannot breath without perspective and motion. Imagine an aircraft section blueprint, a catwalk with cardboard models and a car newspaper ad shot with a 500mm.

visugeek
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Some really nice work in there. That being said, I have to agree that the Foreground actress and car, midground plane, and BG clouds don't look like they are part of the same environment and it's a little distracting.

Each element on it's own looks good, but the integration/grading and lighting are very different. I know what you were after, but I think your location lighting wasn't cooperating and that is always a pain.

As far as an example of what the 7D can do, I think it's a good one!

Om Nom Nom
10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
ahh that looked pretty sick! great job!

kikojiu
11-01-2009, 05:48 AM
The post is supposed to show the camera potential. Directing is a different story...everybody has its own taste...:happy:there is no absolute truth about it and the first rule is there are no rules...:happy:

David G. Smith
11-01-2009, 07:06 AM
HOLY SH*T!!, I am not sure what their selling..... but I'll Take two!.... That looked good.