PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Illusion

misterperry
10-26-2009, 08:11 AM
This is a short film that my friends and I shot this summer on a DSLR. It was overall a pleasant experience. We had some issues but nothing that ruined the shoot. Hope you enjoy.

Rakesh Jacob
10-26-2009, 09:04 AM
try just the numbers "6882035" without "http://vimeo.com/"

Rakesh Jacob
10-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Just watched it:

Great concept and classic first line "it's well known that people are stupid"
Don't wanna say much else, I hate spoilers :)
Oh and the title sequence is really nice, I love the color and textures of it.

misterperry
10-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Ah thanks Johnny. Couldnt figure that out. I'll embed it in mine.

Thanks for watching!

commanderspike
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Is the final scene in the church yard green screen work?

Very well shot as a whole and technically good. Not my kinda film style (it's a bit too US tv network for me) and acting is a bit cheesy but well done :)

misterperry
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
no green screen work, that was just a location near where we shot. I see your point about the acting. None of the people in it have acted before, or saw the script before shooting. Directing actors was a real challenge, one that I hadn't fully appreciated until this shoot. Someday I hope to work with some serious actors. There's still so much to learn.

ZazaCast
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
There's still so much to learn.

...yes, like what camera did you use?:happy:

misterperry
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I've been trying to avoid that question since it says not to mention brand names here:)

...but it's the 5d. full info is on the vimeo page as well.

ZazaCast
10-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks! My bad for asking....:nads:

ZazaCast
10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Good film. I love the titles, actually I really liked the whole opening. I did notice a soft focus here & there, but it didn't kill it for me. There was a continuity issue at 1:59 - 2:03 (see how he's holding the cup?). I hope you used a ZazaSlider at 2:58...if not...build one, you'll love it. Narrator seemed a bit flat throughout, but again not a deal-breaker.

Great job by all..especially since non of them had acted before. Congrats to the whole team!

misterperry
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
thank you! we actually used a rollerblade wheel dolly, i'll have to look into a zaza slider. is that your design?

and im very impressed that you noticed the continuity issue, no one else has yet (besides me of course.) theres also several shots in the seance scene that are flipped.

ZazaCast
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
thank you! we actually used a rollerblade wheel dolly, i'll have to look into a zaza slider. is that your design?

Check it out: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=145701
I guess it's really igus' design, but I found the stuff researching the T-Jib and Glidetrack products. It's REALLY easy to build (all of 20 minutes) and a great tool on any shoot.

and im very impressed that you noticed the continuity issue, no one else has yet (besides me of course.) theres also several shots in the seance scene that are flipped.

That cup was the only thing that jumped out at me. I don't know why, but I always see stuff like that.... must be the OCD?:happy:

danielisaiah
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I really liked the plot!

misterperry
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
thanks daniel

That cup was the only thing that jumped out at me. I don't know why, but I always see stuff like that.... must be the OCD?:happy:

haha, i think ocd is a prerequisite to being a filmmaker.

ZazaCast
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks daniel

haha, i think ocd is a prerequisite to being a filmmaker.

Yeah... but why is it I only see it AFTER the shoot? Someday it will be nice to just direct and not have to be the camera operator (and everything else too) so I can pay attention to stuff like that.

motochron
11-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Very nice, good story. I can't really say anything about the cinematography itself as I am still learning myself. But I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. :)
-Chris