PDA

View Full Version : the "red" ntsc GH1?

JordyF
10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I have placed a $600 bid on a RED GH1 on ebay. Claims to be NTSC just not our in america yet. I normally NEVER deal on ebay and only use Sammy's or BH, any opinions on this new model?

Seems the slightest bit sketchy. Person only has 4 positive feedback as it is.

J

brinks
10-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Pretty sure that is the japanese model which is NTSC just all Japanese menus. There are plenty of Japanese to English manuals online. I wouldn't worry to much cause chances are you won't get it for $600. Good luck though.

DanDOF
10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
now that i have the gh1, i would say the japanese menus wouldn't be that hard to understand with comparing to an online english manual. There are lots of symbols that make sense.

Park Edwards
10-24-2009, 12:43 AM
the japanese menus are incredibly easy to understand. especially once you have them translated, which i do in case someone wants them.

i was intimated for the first few mins, but after navigating and seeing what does what it was fine afterwards

JordyF
10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
the japanese menus are incredibly easy to understand. especially once you have them translated, which i do in case someone wants them.

i was intimated for the first few mins, but after navigating and seeing what does what it was fine afterwards

I would love to get the translation!
If you could shoot that to me It would be highly appreciated!

Also, on the Japanese cam do fstops and iso's show up in English numerics ie: 2.4 1600 etc

OR does it show up in Japanese Numerics?

Thanks very much.

I just managed to pick this camera up for $600 new!

Park Edwards
10-25-2009, 08:43 PM
pm me your email. all the numbers are in english. i'd say it's 1/3 english which is a pretty good amount for the price you pay.

commanderspike
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I have the translation JPEGs for all the menu options Japanese > English. PM me and I'll send it to you.

It is easy to learn. Most options have icons. There are a lot that don't, but those are things which you rarely (if ever) need to change or even know about.

Having used a G1 in English for a few months beforehand certainly helped a lot though. It helps to be familiar with the way Panasonic lays out the menus before jumping straight in with an unfamiliar camera in Japanese.

swyzlstyx
10-26-2009, 07:18 AM
I just managed to pick this camera up for $600 new!

Let us know if you get scammed or not...I think I'm watching a listing from the same person who sold you the red GH1...and I'd love to get a red one...so that I'll have two and not have to change lenses so often! Having used the US model for a while now, I don't think the Japanese menus should be a problem.

Congrats!

JordyF
10-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Let us know if you get scammed or not...I think I'm watching a listing from the same person who sold you the red GH1...and I'd love to get a red one...so that I'll have two and not have to change lenses so often! Having used the US model for a while now, I don't think the Japanese menus should be a problem.

Congrats!

it does feel quite scammish though doesnt it?

Park Edwards
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
probably not. they're probably bringing in body only versions which can be found incredibly cheap over in japan and hoping to make a buck over here.

JordyF
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
appears to be what their doing

swyzlstyx
10-26-2009, 10:09 AM
it does feel quite scammish though doesnt it?

I guess every eBay seller has to start somewhere! :happy:

If it doesn't work out, you might try the eBay seller "2009madeinjapan (http://myworld.ebay.com/2009madeinjapan/)" http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Made-In-Japan-Online__W0QQ_armrsZ1

They don't have a body-only listed, but I'd guess they have them in stock at their Tokyo store. I was going to email them when I have the money to get a new body, to see if they had a red body-only kit. I recently bought the 7-14mm and 20mm lenses from them with no problems. VERY fast/free shipping from Tokyo to Houston, Texas! I paid a premium on the 20mm, but the 7-14mm was actually cheaper than buying it in the U.S.!

JordyF
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
thanks for the hookup

sirk
10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I wonder if the kit lens is included...

JordyF
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I wonder if the kit lens is included...

nope no lense