PDA

View Full Version : How would one pull this shot off with the GH1?

Revsta
10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I am going for the slow shutter effect, ALA Chungking Express, where a person doesn't move and the people around them move a lot and become a blur.

As far as I know, you can't get the shutter that slow on this like you can with the DVX. I also wanted to incorporate a slow push in on the stationary actor. Is this doable either in camera or in post?

dvbrother
10-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, you can do this. You'll need to be in 720p mode. Set your focus to manual focus. You can then set your shutter speed to as low as 1/2 a second. You should get quite a "Chungking" step-frame shutter blur. Now, you can either do a slow zoom in post, or you can use a dolly and push-in very VERY slow. However, to get smooth movement on a dolly going this slow, you may need to use a special motorized system, like the ones used for moving timelapse shots (I think the website is called Timescapes). You'll probably need to pull focus. And you'll need to make sure your actor moves and blinks as little as possible. Good Luck!

Barry_Green
10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
You can indeed get the shutter speed that low.

First, make sure you've updated the firmware to version 1.2. Then, set it in creative movie mode, choose either MJPG 720/30p or AVCHD SH mode 720/60p, and then be sure that "Exposure Mode" in the "motion picture" menu is set to "M". If so, you can now set your exposure down to 1/2 second for massive blur.

Nitsuj
10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Cool idea! I wanna try that now.

dvbrother
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
And just to add to what Barry said, you must have your focus dial set to Manual focus. When put in AFS or AFC, the shutter speed won't go lower than 1/30th.

Barry_Green
10-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Yep, forgot that part. Stumped me for a minute too, so I shoulda put that part in!

Revsta
10-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Great. I'll update to 1.2. Thanks a lot guys!

Lammy
10-27-2009, 08:17 PM
dvbrother is right, you can do this.

Chungking Express wouldn't have the shutter any slower than 1/48 a second. It's physically impossible for the film camera to do that. I think they may have also reduced the frame rate to 12 or even 8 and changed the shutter lower somehow. They used a technique on the film called step printing [also known in your editing software as chuck frames and slow it down, or frame hold slow motion]. All the motion blur is just people moving very fast across the camera whilst Tony Leung and Faye Wong move really slowly?

Try 1/48, 1/24 and 1/12 shutter on the GH1 and tell us what looks best for your scene. I would suggest though, if you wanted to do a smooth push in while everyone moved across in a jerky stroby blur fashion, to do it in camera and not in post. Looks better spatially and is more snazzy. Push the dolly incredibly, incredibly slowly in as everyone moves across the camera really fast. Might help to add alot of resistance and weight too to make it harder and more accurate to push. I would not have the shutter too low as 1/2 though, as the push in will look messy and jerky.

Martti Ekstrand
10-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I've done a whole film at 1/2 second shutter speed with my GH1.

http://vimeo.com/5588719

shzr
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,

I tried doing the effect (by the way, you can change the shutter speed while recording w/ the wheel) but when I edit in Premier CS4 the parts w/ the slow shutter speed are played in really fast speed as if its making up for the less frame rates. Anybody get this?

Martti Ekstrand
10-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Yup. When I did 'A Kindling Light' I just changed the playback speed of the clips, I eyeballed it on a take by take basis to what looked good to me.

dvbrother
10-29-2009, 09:13 AM
[quote=BandanaDan;1792573]dvbrother is right, you can do this.

Chungking Express wouldn't have the shutter any slower than 1/48 a second. It's physically impossible for the film camera to do that.

I hate to correct you, but actually, that's not true. Remember that the shutter of a film camera is mechanical. It's a spinning wheel, so if you lower the frame rate, the wheel spins slower, and you lengthen the shutter speed. It's directly proportional. One early famous example of this is the Speeder Bike chase through the forest in "Return of the Jedi". A Steadicam operator walked through a redwood forest with the camera set to a slow frame rate. Because the shutter spins slower, too, there is more blur in the image. So, when the footage is sped up, the trees streak by as if the camera were going super fast.
It's the same trick with the GH1.

yia
10-30-2009, 12:34 AM

when shooting 1/2 shutter speed and what else did you do in editing........ I'm planing to shoot some thing like this this weekend

Martti Ekstrand
10-30-2009, 01:58 AM
I smoothed the slow shutter speed further with frame blending and a standard plug-in in After Effects Pro called "Wide Time", again eye-balling it on a take by take basis.

dvbrother
10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Martti,
That piece you have on Vimeo is amazing, BTW. I remember when I first got my GH1, that was a clip that inspired me to think of all the creative possibilities of the camera!

yia
10-30-2009, 10:50 AM
guys.... the lowest shutter speed I can get is a 2.... how did you guys get 1/2

bekrawa
10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, that's a 1/2 second. Most of these digital cameras display fractions of a second as regular numbers. Whole seconds are displayed with the quotation mark after the number, such as 2".

matt9b
10-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Okay, I'm officially starting to get irritated. I want to be able to film at 1/2 second shutter speed on my GH1. Why should european customers be excluded from such benefits? We paid the same price did we not. (Actually probably slightly more!)

shzr
10-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, that's a 1/2 second. Most of these digital cameras display fractions of a second as regular numbers. Whole seconds are displayed with the quotation mark after the number, such as 2".

Or you can think of it as 2 frames per second and so forth

Martti Ekstrand
10-31-2009, 02:18 AM
Okay, I'm officially starting to get irritated. I want to be able to film at 1/2 second shutter speed on my GH1. Why should european customers be excluded from such benefits? We paid the same price did we not. (Actually probably slightly more!)

I am an european customer and I can film at 1/2 second shutter speed which I've done with "A Kindling Light"...

matt9b
10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I am an european customer and I can film at 1/2 second shutter speed which I've done with "A Kindling Light"...

So perhaps its just the UK affected this then? Odd. Are you a PAL model? My camera is the PAL model and it won't accept the firmware update.

Martti Ekstrand
11-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Yes, I most definitely have a PAL model. And I doubt UK has gotten a different one from rest of Europe. I'd take it to the store and let them have a look at it.

AKED
11-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Is there a way, the the movements of the moving people or objects with this effect are smooth and do not judder (if this is the right word)