PDA

View Full Version : Critics

commanderspike
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
First of all. Great idea. This section is what it's really all about. It's good to have a break from all the brand names, versus this and that, and the tech side and this is the perfect idea... its like a chill out room :)

Been watching Critics avidly lately. The thing I like about Philip and Steve, apart from the cool banter, is that they don't criticise without giving a constructive reason why. It's really positive and they usually reveal some amazing talent on it.

One movie they showed has stuck in my head. Really simple to make, but has a proper 'start, middle and end' :)

It has no dialogue. The title is from 'a picture can say a thousand words'. Good title and you'll see why.

'A Thousand Words' on Vimeo

Latest episode of Critics
http://www.zacuto.com/critics

I was thinking, lets be our own critics now. Anybody got some hidden Vimeo gems they wanna show?

For a start here are my 'Likes' on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/commanderspike/likes/sort:newest

Rakesh Jacob
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah I remeber this one. The lead is really strong.

Jason Ramsey
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Hadn't seen that "A thousand words" yet...

Thanks for sharing... I enjoyed it... My kinda story... simple on the surface, but lots if you dig a little deeper. to the point.

Later,
Jason

commanderspike
10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah the lead is strong. Great actor. Has that 'I'm not trying' aura about him which makes the whole thing that much more believable and subtle.

dadoboy
10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
It's interesting that it gets a lot of postive comments on the cinematography.
Individually, the shots in the piece are not necessarily reel material. Usually people are impressed by stuff that's a lot more flashy in my reel.
But as a whole, you can see a lot of thought was put into the lenses, movement and shot structure. Which goes to prove, a reel is only one indication of a DPs worth.
Much more important is how he/she serves your story and your vision.

commanderspike
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
It's understated. I agree with you there. It's not meant to be over-stylistic or hollywood is it... it's more in the 'realistic' vein.

jonE5
10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
wow that was awesome, what was it shot with? Anyone know?

Revsta
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Very nice.

commanderspike
10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
wow that was awesome, what was it shot with? Anyone know?

HV20 and 5DMk II one believes!

Episode 1 is where they discuss it. The earlier episodes of Critics are the best so far I think. They had the right balance of witty piss taking and sombre 'wow' moments from the videos.

http://www.zacuto.com/critics

William_Robinette
10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
HV20 and 5DMk II one believes!

"A Thousand Words" was made back in 2007 on an HV20 with a Brevis running Pentax glass if I am remembering right.

Great Film.

slimchrisp
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
"A Thousand Words" was made back in 2007 on an HV20 with a Brevis running Pentax glass if I am remembering right.

Yep. Not sure about the glass though. It was (may still be) up on Cinevate's site a few years ago, at least as early as middle of 2008.

Fantastic short. I loved it.

HHL
10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm thrilled with this new part of the forum. It's exactly what we need. There is alot of technical talk here that is great. I hope to see the same amount of effort put into the NON-TECHNICAL-VISUAL aspects of story telling. I am convinced that the curve for the technical aspect has gotten exponentially shorter....while the STORY TELLING curve has remained the same. Thank you soooo much for adding this part of the forum.

Thanks for adding this video NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT IT LIKE WE WOULD THE TECHNICAL DETAILS!

Artistic/Story Telling Formula:

1. Present something familiar (to the audience) and mundane
2. Present something unexpected about it (that we all secretly hope for)

OK...from a story telling perspective:

00:32-00:38: This part draws everyone personally into the film, because we've all done this before.

1:00: Again. Many of us have been here before, on either side of the equation. Shoot I left my....or Ooops they left their...

1:10-1:48: We've all either been here, but won't admit it....or wanted to be, or feel guilty about feelings related to this. I mean come ON...this is SNOOPING. This isn't RIGHT...but...uh...that's a pretty cute pic of her....and I wonder what else is on there? Hmmmmm, next, next, next...I think Facebook is the beneficiary of this natural human curiosity. Again, the story teller has lulled us all into a familiar mundane (I've been there before) state of mind with a built in human curiosity...

1:49-1:54: POW!!!!!! (and reaction) This is the magic moment, the twist...this is it. Soooo unexpected. I will say that if everthing before this hadn't been so mundane and familiar maybe this part wouldn't have been so compelling. (Everyone's next question: Was it just the one pic....or are there more?)

1:55-2:05: Oh my gosh, there are more. Alot more. (probably more than what was shown too....)

2:19: (Concept) Great setup here. I saw this building in one of the pics. Very cool.
2:28-2:39: (visual/artistic execution of concept) VERY NICE. 4 shots in 11 seconds. They gave the building drama real momentum here. PERFECT usage (artistically) of a "slider" shot. I see alot of non-sense usage of this shot. Clearly this was planned out. This was Also PERFECT usage of the music.
3:14: (I hope they don't ruin this) What's gonna happen now?
3:38: Back to the beginning....nice poetic finish. (That isn't only poetic, but it's also REALISTIC) ...fade to black. NOICE!!!!

In addition to the many layers of "unexpected" aspects of this short film, it poses a simpler "unexpected" question. What if you are noticing a beautiful stranger....seeing all of the ways that they are so exquisite....what if they are noticing you...AND THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING ABOUT YOU.

True story: When I was 18 I lived in the SF Bay Area. At my place of work there were many attractive women. One in particular had the most INCREDIBLE SMILE I had ever seen. (Stangers would stop her and tell her that.) She looked about 25 years old and was WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE.

Long story short, the reason I noticed her smile is because she was smiling AT ME! Someone set us up on a blind date, (because she had been talking about ME), and she ended up being my girl friend. What was so unexpected was how she later told me that she thought I was too good for her because every time she would smile at me I would look away. !!!!!! 00:34-00:37 I told her it was because I KNEW she was way to good for me....yadda yadda yadda.

The bottom line:

I'm going to try and shoot a short in the next week and post it here using this forumla.
Introduce something familiar, then do something unexpected. Thanks for the inspiring film!!!!

dadoboy
10-24-2009, 03:08 PM
The same thing happened to me too. Hot girl - out of my league. Except when I had lunch with her, she confirmed I was butt ugly.

The bottom line:
Life isn't always like the movies, or is it just my life that isn't like Roman Holiday :happy:

I

True story: When I was 18 I lived in the SF Bay Area. At my place of work there were many attractive women. One in particular had the most INCREDIBLE SMILE I had ever seen. (Stangers would stop her and tell her that.) She looked about 25 years old and was WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE.

Long story short, the reason I noticed her smile is because she was smiling AT ME! Someone set us up on a blind date, (because she had been talking about ME), and she ended up being my girl friend.

The bottom line:

I'm going to try and shoot a short in the next week and post it here using this forumla.
Introduce something familiar, then do something unexpected. Thanks for the inspiring film!!!!