PDA

View Full Version : "BURST" - A Film by Joe Begos

morbidodyssey
10-22-2009, 05:13 AM
A little late on starting the thread, but didn't get to work on this until the beginning of October and have been pushing through to finish it in time for the deadline.

The story take place during a police interrogation, as a man tells the story of an attack by some sort of monster, and we learn more about the events that took place through flashbacks.

This is my second fest, as I entered the film "Escape from the Past" for Timefest. Glad to be back.

Was filmed on the HVX200a and cut and posted with Final Cut Studio 2.

Budget of about $100.

Also uploaded some color corrected stills.

Written/Shot/Directed by Joe Begos

Editor/Sound Design/Composer- Josh Ethier

Produced by Joe Begos, Josh Ethier, and CLockman

Starring:

Josh Ethier as Vic
Doug Duke as Detective Renn
Joe Begos as Adam
Karissa Like as Marisa

Marlon Ladd
10-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Nice pics! Glad to see you in and good luck!

Troy Ruff
10-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Hey another one joining! Welcome, I was in TimeFest as well, (The Impossible Race) That was my first fest, it was such a great fest. Well glad your here.

Nitsuj
10-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Welcome. The more people that have a budget comparable to mine the less embarrassed I feel about my $80. Looking forward to seeing it.

ZazaCast
10-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Welcome!

joshreluctant
10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Sound mix\score should be done today. Should have the poster up by tomorrow afternoon.

joshreluctant
10-24-2009, 01:31 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs222.snc1/6934_203726085448_602550448_4309287_4784758_n.jpg

Our poster art.

Rodney V. Smith
10-24-2009, 03:59 PM
welcome. nice poster dude.

MrKilloran
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Good luck guys, looks like a lot of fun.

EditPhish
10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Grabs look interesting... I like the concept...
Good luck! Can't wait to see it!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm pumped to see this one. Looks like a lot of fun.
Good luck!

Rodney V. Smith
10-27-2009, 07:18 AM
And the award for best use of blood goes to...

Shaun Patrick
10-27-2009, 08:07 AM
That blood shot is incredible. Totally awesome

Troy Ruff
10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Fantastic Grabs! Love the blood work.

Charli
10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Did you make your own blood - you know, only in this forum would I ask that type of question. Looks good. Nice poster, too.

Chad_from_Chad
10-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Did you make your own blood - you know, only in this forum would I ask that type of question. Looks good. Nice poster, too.
The makeup effects wiz on a previous shoot made a half gallon jug of it. About a third of it was used on that shoot. Now there's about half a cup left.

ZazaCast
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Didn't "Escape from the Past" have an exploding head in it?

Om Nom Nom
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
The spitting blood shot looks pretty sick. Curious to see what you guys did with the $100 budget!

joshreluctant
10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
yeah my head exploded in escape from the past.

we're genre filmmakers, it's what we do.

Sprocketboy
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Blood is a hard fluid to manage. Your stills do a great job showing it off.

morbidodyssey
10-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah, Escape from the Past had exploding heads caused by time travel.

Now with Monsterfest we are in our comfort zone. We hoped to have made something even more fun and over the top for you guys. Hope you dig it.

darkrequiem1134
10-28-2009, 03:53 PM
sounds pretty badass to me. wicked stills, can't wait to check this one. looks pretty violent, judging by your last entry (escape from the past) this one should prove to be pretty kick a**. looking forward to it. :violent5:

morbidodyssey
10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
BURST is uploaded, awaiting approval. Feels nice. Can't wait to get some feedback.

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
man that poster is cool as hell. i better be seein' some scanners-style bursting!

morbidodyssey
10-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Approved!

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Good camera work and sound in this, lead acting was good although I thought that the detective was unconvincing. What was with the really old tape recorder?

The biggest let down was that we didnt see even a hint of the monster. Even a small monster shot at the end would have really sold this.

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Where was the monster? We never saw it.
It looked EXCELLENT. Loved the color grading and the blood looked amazing... but we knew that from your screen shots :)

I thought the acting during the interrogation was a bit stiff. I also thought the guy being interrogated was exceptionally calm, which I might have written off at the end knowing the monster had "infested" him, but that doesn't explain why he was so calm when his friend was basically turning into a puddle of blood in his kitchen.

I thought the music and sound was good, though some of the sound didn't seem to always "fit" what we were seeing.

Best line though - "What burst out of his head???!!!"

Also... why does the interrogator freak out SO soon... the minute the guy spits blood he's screaming like a maniac...

Unfortunately, I couldn't score it very high since we never saw a monster. Despite my criticisms, I did enjoy watching it, and you get more of a thumbs up than thumbs down.

kennethhurd
11-01-2009, 12:57 PM
This was a fun movie. Even though the movies are completely different, it made me think of the movie Splinter. I really liked the handheld camerawork throughout the flashbacks. I felt that it added a bit of intensity to the piece, but I felt that it would have been more effective if the interrogation scenes were shot on a tripod to give it some separation from the flashback sequences. Your pacing was excellent and I really liked your sound design. Good work!

jasonthewho
11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
The camerawork, editing, and style were all very strong here. The intro really got me excited to see the rest of the film. The special effects/blood work was great. The letdown for me was the interrogation scenes. The writing was weak, and I think you were trying to compensate for the fact that it's mainly exposition by having the interrogator get ridiculously intense. It just seemed far too over the top. I think if you had spent more time in the flashbacks and less in the interrogation room, it would have worked better for me.

You've got the technical aspects down pat, I'd just work more on refining your writing.

joshreluctant
11-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments. The feedback is very appreciated.

Marlon Ladd
11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I also enjoyed this film. The intro was excellent! The interrogation scene was okay. The acting could have been better. The victim I felt should have been more upset about his friend getting snatched or he should have been numb and in shock about everything. The handheld stuff was great with the action and I like how you pulled off the bursts. I did like the angles you had in the interrogation, but I felt the camera was too shaky during that scene. I think it would have been a perfect contrast with the interrogation shot really clean on a tripod and the action handheld. Just my opinion on that. The lighting was good and so was the story and the score. Good concept and well done.

cinealma
11-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Good work on this one. Felt like the opening to an X-Files episode. I think we all have a "something bursting out of somebody" project in a notebook somewhere, always glad to see someone bring it to fruition.

The interrogation room scene didn't work for me. It's pretty much a staple of television and film crime-dramas and from the acting perspective, you expect a certain "maturity" to the scene. Not that I'm saying the scenes in your film our immature, but rather, the actor didn't have a certain "presence" about him that he needed to pull it off convincingly. It's a casting thing, not necessarily a script thing.

Some great creeped-out moments in this one, and I really like the scene where the creature yanks the girl out of the car. Good stuff!

Good job. Thanks for sharing!

Chris_Keaton
11-02-2009, 05:38 AM
I liked this film. The interogator wasn't as believable, but who cares? It was a hoot. And NO you don't need to see the monster, what we did see was great. This ranks high among my favorites. Good job.

Edgen
11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Cool flick and cool concept. The interrogator just needed to be slapped and given a ritalin. There was no need for him to be as upset as he was unless we got part of the story cut out due to time constraints? He would have been much more effective as a calm office and as his arc progressed, have him get more and more irritated.

Otherwise, nicely shot and great fx.

Thanks for entering!
/j

Charli
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I thought the beginning was good, you gave us something to explore in what happened to his friend.

The moment you lost me was once you started filming in the apartment. Then it was just 'off' a bit. It's not plausible for someone's friend to make that much noise and you don't get up right away UNLESS you are drunk or high. That wasn't real to me.

The interrogator also was over the top. The clunky footsteps in the garage, he is wearing sneakers but the footsteps sounded like he was wearing boots.

I expected the guy didn't escape from the creature, but for me, the creature is more implied and I would have liked to have seen 'something' even a glimpse of something.

morbidodyssey
11-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the comments- I love the comment about how it reminded somebody of Splinter- I love that flick!

I agree about the detective losing his cool a little early on. I didn't want these two guys sitting across from each other going back and forth, as I wanted a fast intense pace to hold up throughout the whole time so I was trying to make it a bit more interesting, but in retrospect it feels like he peaks to early.

I also decided against showing a monster since we didn't have the budget or talent to pull it off convincingly, so I tried to use as much with in camera effects and sound design to really sell the monster. Pulled some stuff from the old Raimi bag of tricks. Glad you guys are digging it so far.

Thanks everybody for watching.

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I had a good time watching this film. You know the drill and you took advantage your tools of the trade. The actors are acceptable, but not convincing, but yet again, your film is about the unbelievable, so who cares? All that matters is engaging the audience and you succeeded.

ramsaur
11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
That was pretty crazy. But what was the little black creature that was attacking them? And why did their head start to burst in the first place? I didn't understand why. The handheld camera shots at the beginning were too shaky for me. Your audio was and color grade was really good. You're special makeup, blood was aweseme! Actors were decent. Good entertainment!

Chad_from_Chad
11-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Sometimes I guess it comes down to weighing the pros and cons of what you have access to. When you don't have Rick Baker or KNB accessible in your budget, what's a worse comment, "I never saw the monster" or "Your monster costume was lame". I would always side with "never saw", because that still leaves the viewers imagination open to much more than what's possible with fishing twine and a Trojan Magnum filled with Jell-O, spray painted black with some hair gel dripping from it. I can't count how many times I've finished a movie and wished that they had simply not shown the monster, rather than what it ended up looking like.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Sound seems to be an issue I keep bringing up but maybe it's because I'm listening with headphones. When the voices come in and out sharply it's a little distracting.
This movie wasn't terrible in that department though and I'm nitpicking a little.

The acting was pretty good, save the over the top reaction at the end. I also though the guy should have checked out what was wrong with his buddy far sooner.

The music was great and some of the camera work was really nice. Some really gory effects too. Definitely engaging.

MAH

Troy Ruff
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
This was a cool film, I really liked the blood fx, the acting was decent but I do agree with the Justins comment of the officer needed to be more calm. He was really freaking out, I think it would have played better with a confused, pissed off cop. But over all very fun film and entertaining. Great job!

morbidodyssey
11-03-2009, 12:56 AM
That was pretty crazy. But what was the little black creature that was attacking them? And why did their head start to burst in the first place? I didn't understand why. The handheld camera shots at the beginning were too shaky for me. Your audio was and color grade was really good. You're special makeup, blood was aweseme! Actors were decent. Good entertainment!

The head burst open because the monster was bursting out. It implies it infests human bodies and explode out of the head.

Rakesh Jacob
11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Overall loved it, thought you did a great job, gave it an 8, would have given it a 9 or 10 if the iterrogator was a better actor.

morbidodyssey
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks man- an 8 is still great in my book!

hoz
11-04-2009, 11:14 PM
you are sick! great use of blood! when do i get the chance to type that? liked the story idea too, and you had some great looks - the apartment, the garage, the car, even the use of the briefcase tape recorder ( where did you get that? ebay? )

i mirror the other comments on the detective- he was off, not sure if you wished him to be out of control but he was sort of half there and half trying to be. i think the det. could be out of control if there was another calmer det in the room alongside him. that det doesn't even have to say anything. the presence of the silent det would really freak everything out.

this is really good!!

congrats!

Horncastle
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Very good film with some flaws that have already been mentioned by others - mainly the character under reacting while is friend is blowing up and the detective over reacting. I liked how you nearly always kept the camera at an angle - there is a lot of great framing with very few horizontal lines - which cleverly added to the tension. Good job, thanks.

Geoff_R
11-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I liked your concept and setup here. You kept my attention throughout and it had a good flow to it in terms of connecting all the other bits with the interrogation. I thought the interrogator was off a bit in terms of his approach, it felt to me as if he already knew what 'it' was... I was waiting for that twist actually because I felt anyone throwing that much personal energy into the scene must know something more than the suspect. Does that make sense? Like maybe he was part of the coverup for whatever this 'thing' was; like he has been studying/chasing it for a long time. That was just my take on it based on the interrogator's acting.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it.

Blaine
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Interesting idea...

I thought the interrogator was a bit over the top, though. His reaction at that end didn't feel in character either.

Lots of good blood effects. I was waiting to see what popped out of his head and was a little disappointed at not seeing it after the build up. But is was still a fun watch.

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Righto! Well this is a gory delicious little tale of um goryness - not without some wild inconsistencies in production - but overall, it certainly delivers some yuckyness! A kind of wild ride as it were.

However, the performance of the Interogator is (i give him kudos its whole-hearted full of enthusiasm and energy) but it comes across as a little desperate. He does not have a stronger prescence or authority even over the calm and relaxed 'dude' whose bloodied and ginger haired without eyebrows! (Obviously a toreture victim of the CIA detaining process)

The gory sequence after he drinks (Budweiser obviously for it to have that effect) is spectucular! I liked it! However the non-reaction of the chap watching TV (it's a good movie sure, but if your friend is vomiting blood, or even worse... late making a cup of tea) then you know something very bad is wrong!

The rest of the tale jaunts along - we go along with the ride - probably in part because of the enigma of what the monster is (making it a slightly annoying none-pay off at the end.)

However i think most will be satisfied by the ballet of blood at the finale.

Overall a very macho - dude orientated gory horror film, with some real highlights, but marred with over-acting in part, and unplausible situations.

Nemesis TS
11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
This one was my favorite so far. Yes, I agree with the acting in the interrogation room could be better. Most cops are clean shaven, even detectives. So the actor didn't have the right look and his acting didn't compensate for that. However, for the budget the acting was really good and you turned out an overall great flick. I'm glad you didn't show the monster, it is so anti-climatic when you see a half assed monster at the end.

Considering time and budget I say job very well done.