PDA

View Full Version : Dead pixel in videos

Arch Stanton
10-17-2009, 12:19 AM
I just noticed what appears to be a "dead pixel" in my videos (not the LCD). Has anyone ever heard of this?

ydgmdlu
10-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Yes. That means that your sensor actually has a dead/stuck/hot pixel. It's not visible on your camera's LCD because the LCD is too low-res to be able to render it.

Arch Stanton
10-17-2009, 12:58 PM
That's what I figured. So, is this considered common and "acceptable" (like it is with LCD) or is this uncommon and unacceptable and I should return the camera?

Would a "Pixel Refresh" help?

ydgmdlu
10-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't know if it'll work for the GH1, but here's something that you could try: http://www.slashgear.com/how-to-remove-stuck-pixel-on-your-digital-slr-2227392/

RieniO
10-19-2009, 07:16 AM
No it's not acceptable. Return it.

Ben_B
10-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Try sensor cleaning to make sure it's dead and not dust on the sensor. Try putting it in a photography mode where it is gonna boost gain in liveview, point at a white wall, stop really far down, and defocus, zoom in on the area with focus assist, and see if you can see that the sensor is dead there or if there's dirt on it (that should move around with sensor cleaning [triggered from menu] and eventually go away.) If not, send it back, unacceptable. Sensor defect.

Arch Stanton
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I tried sensor cleaning and pixel refresh, neither worked, so I'm returning it.

Bruno DW
10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I had that issue on my GH1.
It's visible only on video mode because on still picture mode, an algorythm replaces the dead pixel by surrounding pixels informations.

The only solution is to send the camera back.

Then you'll get back a dead pixel free camera as I did.

Regards